Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sylar a new level of awesome

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did enjoy a lot of what you wrote but I don't agree that Sylar had a rough childhood. From we do know - Sylar simply had a normal boring childhood and simply wanted more from his ordinary life. He didn't seem to get really bitter until he was more of an adult. From what we know at least.
    Yeah I'm with you to some degree. Obviously his parents didn't beat him up or anything. But obviously his Mother has a few screws loose and he was constantly pushed by her. She obviously made him feel like he was never good enough. It seems that she did the same thing to his Father. He probably had to watch her verbally attack his Father all the time. His Father was obviously submissive and passive and just took it. Sylar also was obviously a bit of an odd person. This I'm sure lead to him not having a great deal of friends as a kid and constantly being picked on. Eventually all of these elements would lead to his looking down upon people as insects and wanting to empower himself over them. To always feel that he could be better. To desperately seek becoming more. True there are worse childhoods one could have but still I dont think his early years were very pleasent.

That being said, the preview for next week shows Sylar acting like his alter ego Gabriel. He is probably excited to be part of a special family like the Petrelli's so he's really jumping into making Peter feel welcome. Together, they would be unstoppable and either Sylar is thinking that way or biding his time to take Peter out. Either way - Sylar will never truly go Brady
    Well saying Sylar is going brady bunch was an exaggeration on my part lol. Yeah, like I said I know its probably just a front that he is putting up. Then again I was hoping the whole lionel luthor going good on Smallville was just a front too but I guess it wasnt. This would be a worse case on Heroes because on Smaville at least Lionel wasn't the main villain of the show. With Heroes Sylar is the main villain so that would really suck if they messed him up like that. I do have some confidense in the writers but they have been, well at least in my mind, messing up a bit this season with characters. Especially with Mohinder's the fly rip off storyline and Nathan's born again christian storyline. I will just keep my fingers crossed on that one.

@Filmguy

You're confusing evil actions with being an evil person. Sylar started out questioning his actions, and trying to repent, and as he evolved and developed his moral code began to believe that what he was doing was both right and justified, and now is again questioning this code.

Also the shift key is your friend.
    The Ninth Doctor I addressed sylars whole wanting to repent in the start of the show. Again the team behind the show didnt have the character fleshed out. Initially they were writing him to be a deeply religious character who cant control himself. They were looking to cast a middle aged man and sylar, if I remember right, was supposed to be a priest or something like that. Then Quinto blew them away in the audition so they rewrote the character for him. That cancles out what he was in that episode pretty much. Remember the way he talked on that recording? Does that sound remotely like the sylar that we all know now. No. This is because it's not the same sylar. They some times have issues like that when starting off a new series.

Yes your probably right about the evil actions not being the same as evil with Sylar. Calling him evil is maybe a little too harsh so I'm with ya on that now. Still though he certainly is no saint. He is still a villain and his moral code in no way justifies what he does. He is a serial killer. They all usually have some kinda code. Alot of them very similar ones to Sylar. That doesnt justify what they do.

We both obviously like the character alot. It's a credit to the show that they could have fans debate this much about their villain. I think we actually have pretty similar views on Sylar. Difference is you sound more open to him becoming good then I am. Just a difference of opinion.

As far as the shift key goes i dont really care a great deal about using propper grammer on here. But just for you, I used the shift key this time.
    Last edited by thefilmguy22384; 09-30-2008, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexgirl33
      I agree with the power snatching Sylar did. He should have taken the fear against people one, but who knows, he may get that one too I am sure there is a reason he took the one he did for a reason.

However, I am liking this Sylar. Many different sides to him. He can be evil and even put out accents

Of course,he had a good reason to kill Jessee,he simply thought Peter was still in him and he wanted to kill him for good.

I think Sylar is very interesting this season,I never thought that we would see HRG and him as partners.This is the most unexpected duo ever.I love it
      Last edited by Sweetie; 09-30-2008, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetie
        Of course,he had a good reason to kill Jessee,he simply thought Peter was still in him and he wanted to kill him for good.
        OMG - Interesting thought! I never thought that Sylar killed Jesse for that specific reason! It had crossed my mind when Ma Petrelli said 'Peter is there' and Sylar's face lit up. That does make sense that he would think that..... wonder if that will come out a little more next episode.

Comment

Originally posted by thefilmguy22384
          As far as the shift key goes i dont really care a great deal about using propper grammer on here. But just for you, I used the shift key this time.
          Thank you (especially for not getting offended at my rudeness.)

Comment

So NOONE thinks Sylar is like Eric Cartman?

Common people! Cartman is just as, if not more evil than Sylar! Watch the "Genius of Eric Cartman" on the ComedyNetwork.com South park playlist, its awesome.

Death to Tenorman!

Comment

Sylar is not like Cartman to me. Cartman is a moron on most accounts. Yes he's disturbed and slightly evil but he's not in the same league with Sylar...who would shove another satellite up his booty

Comment

Originally posted by Lexgirl33
                I agree with the power snatching Sylar did. He should have taken the fear against people one, but who knows, he may get that one too I am sure there is a reason he took the one he did for a reason.

However, I am liking this Sylar. Many different sides to him. He can be evil and even put out accents
                Ya.. I really liked the fear manipulation too.. that would have been awesome. who knows though.. Sylar may get it yet.

hahah! I know! The accent was just great wasnt it?

----- Added 33 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by thefilmguy22384
                ----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

killing for personal gain and evolution is still murder. yes he believes in an evolutionary imperative but this alone doesnt make him a killer. his reasons for murdering isnt too different from other serial killers. many serial killers say they kill because they feel that with the death of each new victim that they are evolving. some others even say that they believe that they absorb the essence of their victims. this isnt very different from sylar. trying to justify why sylar kills would be like trying to justify other serial killers like i mentioned.

true way back in the beginning they had that room mohinder found in sylars apartment with writing about god forgiving him and all that. but that was back before the people behind the show really had sylar fleshed out and figured out who he was. does he ever mention anything about wanting gods forgiveness again? no. they do that on alot of shows when fleshing them out. for example in the sarah connor chronicles cameron, the new terminator, shows a great deal of human emotion in the premiere but as the show went on she became more machine like. initially they obviously planned on making sylar a deeply religious man who couldnt control himself. i read some where or maybe i heard it in one of the shows commentaries that they even say that initially sylar was going to to be priest or something like that. they were going to cast someone more middle aged to play him. when zachary quinto came in to read for the part they thought he was so great that they rewrote sylar for him. so that moment on the show pretty much got cancled out. they obviously changed him alot because he never seemed to show any remorse when he killed. he in fact smiled and toyed with his victims before killing them. often times in very painful ways. he could have been humane in killing them but chose not to be. this is not the behavior of someone who feels remorse for what they are doing.
                I think Sylar is a bit more complicated then merely black and white. I think In the beginning.. yes he was trying to fight it and he was trying to be good.... but the hunger got the best of him, and he let it. And I think to a certain point he does like killing.. because he gets that sense of control.. and he gets those nifty powers.. and he does like to see the look on their faces as he cuts the tops of their heads off and their is nothing they can do about. But even so.. If he does like it... he still has reason.. he is still killing for the point of having powers... to feed his hunger. Really how many innocent people has he killed? How many innocent people who havent gotten in the way of him reaching his goal.. the power someone has.

and the episode where he went to his mother was not about him regretting what he has done. it was about a fear of what he was becoming. he was fine murdering special people but killing that many innocents is something else all together. as soon as she died he left behind any humanity that he had left inside him and continued his path of mayhem. he may have not soley tried to blow up new york for the fun of it but it certainly looked like he was gonna enjoy doing it. like the scene where he smiling looking over the city as his hand pulses with energy saying "boom". again not the actions of someone who has regrets about what he is doing.
                Like he said he did feel remorse before the killing of his mother.. and I think you are wrong about him when it comes to her.. that he didnt regret it. I definately think he regretted that! He loved his mother, and he wanted acceptance from her, and him killing her was a total accident. Afterwards.. yes he was horrified by what he had become, but he was so horrified by it because um.. he just killed his own mother! Someone he actually loved and cared about.. and I think after that.. the way he just cut himself off.. the way he was just like... thats it.. I'm a monster.. I'm a killer.. is because of that.. because of being so attatched to her.. and losing her at his own hand. And from then he decided not to care anymore.. not to connect to people.. not to love. To be that monster he though he was and do the one thing he knows how to do best... kill... and feed the hunger. But I don't think that good in him was ever completely gone.. though it was smothered and denied. It was easier for him to move on without it. As for the bomb.. If I remember correctly... When he killed Isaac... and took his power.. and looked at the explsion on the floor.. he seemed kind of taken back that he was going to cause so much destruction. He was like.. I do this? And then he accepted it.. and in a way he figured.. this is my future.. so this is what must be done.. Like the ninth doctor said.. he had reason. It wasnt pure fun and lets go kill some people. He accepted his fate.. like he accepted the monster inside of him.. and he planned to blow up New York.

in the future he was continuing murdering and bringing the world to its knees. if those arent acts of evil along with trying to kill thousands in new york then i dont know what is. yeah he tried to kill to get his powers back. i never said that they werent involved. i was just saying that to further my point that this is someone with out remorse or regret who has become a cold blooded killer. this is someone who enjoys killing. maybe prior to his mothers death there was a shred of humanity still left inside him because he didnt initially want to destroy new york. clearly though after her death that changed.
                Like I said.. I dont think Sylar is all black and white.. I dont think he is all bad or all good.. Honestly.. i think right now he is more bad then good. And I would be just as dissipointed if not more dissipointed that he would just turn good.. if that happens.. I wont be happy at all.. cause thats not who Sylar is. But he isnt pure evil either. I think the finding of his 'real mother' has brought some light to the good that is in him.. like the mother he grew up with did. And this women.. this... mother.. having faith in him like she does.. believeing in his good.. telling him he isnt the monster he thinks he is.. that its just his power... Does give him a little more faith and hope in people and himself.. more then when he was alone.. and was pretty much hating himself and who he was. The whole baking in the kitchen.. I'm really hoping isnt what it seems... that he isnt suddenly good.. cause that would be pathedic. And I think the last episode.. with him still killing Jesse.. kind of goes with my "I'm just a monster" theory.

now im a huge fan of the character sylar. im not saying that he isnt with out some of my sympathy. clearly he has had it a little rough growing up. i was only initially making an argument that i dont want them to turn sylar into the brady bunch type that he seemed to be in the preview for next weeks episode. most likely its just him putting up a front like he did with mohinder in season 1 and mia in season 2. at least i hope so. he is such a good villain and i would hate to see them screw him up.
                now THAT.. i totally agree with! Every bit of it. Though it wouldnt be so bad for a little good to show through.. I mean.. total 360? Thats just stupid. And like you said he is such a good Villian.. to see him all brady bunch like would be a sad sad day.
                Last edited by Lex'sLover; 10-01-2008, 01:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I like the 360 idea... because... if you do a 360 you are back where you started, but you passed through all aspects.. so you mean a 180 then...

Comment

I think Sylar is a bit more complicated then merely black and white. I think In the beginning.. yes he was trying to fight it and he was trying to be good.... but the hunger got the best of him, and he let it. And I think to a certain point he does like killing.. because he gets that sense of control.. and he gets those nifty powers.. and he does like to see the look on their faces as he cuts the tops of their heads off and their is nothing they can do about. But even so.. If he does like it... he still has reason.. he is still killing for the point of having powers... to feed his hunger. Really how many innocent people has he killed? How many innocent people who havent gotten in the way of him reaching his goal.. the power someone has.
                    I never said that Sylar wasn't complicated. I even argued that he had a slightly complicated upbringing. I think though that he became more black then grey especially after the death of his Mother. That was the final glimmer of hope for him and she clearly didn't help. Once she died so did what ever humanity he still had left inside. Again your still not taking into account that the Sylar that we heard over the recorder and whose apartment we saw with all the forgive me god writings, is not the same Sylar that we are dealing with now. That was back when the creative team for the show had different plans for who Sylar was going to be. Once they cast Quinto they rewrote the character to be younger and more eager to kill for powers with less worry about what god might think of him. The Sylar that Quinto plays thinks that he is a god. He doesn't consider answering to god because he considers himself one. He certainly has killed innocents before on the show. Difficult to remember the exact number. I think I can remember at least two from season two. He certainly planned on killing many innocents when he was going to blow up the city.

Like he said he did feel remorse before the killing of his mother.. and I think you are wrong about him when it comes to her.. that he didnt regret it. I definately think he regretted that! He loved his mother, and he wanted acceptance from her, and him killing her was a total accident. Afterwards.. yes he was horrified by what he had become, but he was so horrified by it because um.. he just killed his own mother! Someone he actually loved and cared about.. and I think after that.. the way he just cut himself off.. the way he was just like... thats it.. I'm a monster.. I'm a killer.. is because of that.. because of being so attatched to her.. and losing her at his own hand. And from then he decided not to care anymore.. not to connect to people.. not to love. To be that monster he though he was and do the one thing he knows how to do best... kill... and feed the hunger. But I don't think that good in him was ever completely gone.. though it was smothered and denied. It was easier for him to move on without it. As for the bomb.. If I remember correctly... When he killed Isaac... and took his power.. and looked at the explsion on the floor.. he seemed kind of taken back that he was going to cause so much destruction. He was like.. I do this? And then he accepted it.. and in a way he figured.. this is my future.. so this is what must be done.. Like the ninth doctor said.. he had reason. It wasnt pure fun and lets go kill some people. He accepted his fate.. like he accepted the monster inside of him.. and he planned to blow up New York.
                    Again I never said that he didn't have regrets about killing his Mother. I only said that I don't think he regrets about killing other people. You could see the look of shock on his face when he killed his Mother so that is obvious that he never intended to. That look of shock though vanished pretty quick into a look of purpose. When she died what ever bit of humanity in him died too. I mean he did paint blowing up New York in her blood for Christs sake. Well I don't think he loved her to the degree that you do. He certainly desperately sought acceptance from her and yes he cared about her to some degree. But she obviously was also in over bearing presence in his life. One that weighed down on him and his Father. I think he was much closer to his Father then he was her. But she still was the only family that he had and he desperately wanted her to do what a Mother is supposed to do and guide him in the right direction. I think his relationship with her was closer to the one between Lex and Lionel from Smallville. Yes there was care between them but it was a twisted relationship. I didn't say that he was going to blow up New York just for the fun of it. "he may have not soley tried to blow up new york for the fun of it but it certainly looked like he was gonna enjoy doing it." There I'm saying that fun is not his only motivation for doing it. I'm just saying that it cannot be denied that he wasn't going to have fun doing it. You need to read my posts more carefully before replying. I know they are long as hell but your missing points. I do think that Sylar has depth and complications. I wouldn't have analyzed his childhood in a previous post if I didn't think so. All I'm commenting on is what he has become. He has, like you said, embraced what he is becoming. He is now someone who kills and takes pleasure from killing. I never said he did it with out a purpose. Of course he does it to take powers. All I said was that doesn't justify what he does or sheds any sympathy on his murders. Many serial killers claim that when they kill they absord the essence of their victim. Does that justify them or make them sympathetic? All I ever meant to argue on this forum is what Sylar has become. Not what he was but what his journey has made him. He is a killer and has cut off ties to his humanity burrying feelings of remorse or regret. He was willing to kill that little girl in season one you know. Taking the life of a child many believe to the ultimate act of evil.

Again if you look back at previous posts you would see that I retracted my statement that he was evil. Evil is a little too harsh of a word to describe him. I mostly said that because I was heated at the time of the thought of Sylar becoming good. I spat out evil and made him sound more so in some of my first posts just because I do not even want to consider the idea of a good Sylar. Apparently we are on the same page about that. Actually I think we are pretty much on the same page about almost everything. I think the only thing that I disagree on a little is that I don't think his relationship with his Mother was as loving as you think. I just don't think you ready through everything I wrote completely which I cant blame you for because I always write alot lol.

Comment

Ok.. i can say that yes.. Sylar is a little more Black then white now.. but The latest episodes have really showed that there is more to him and that his power is what really got a hold of him. I even said that after his mothers death he went very dark and evil.. but I was just saying that it didnt mean the light was completely gone. And I took into consideration that they changed the character for Quinto.. but I dont think he was meant to have no remorse.. and yes.. he thought of himself as an unstoppable force.. but I didnt think he thought he was a God.

Yes.. with Molly that really showed how much of himself and his humanity he had lost.. and I said all that.. I was just saying that his humanity was not completely taken which.. like I said.. these episodes are now demonstrating. And I did take that directly from what you said.... "what ever bit of humanity in him died too" .. "Once she died so did what ever humanity he still had left inside" But obviously... he still has that humanity.

Yes.. exactly. I think we agree on alot... except the Sylar and his mother.. and That his humanity had deterierated. I was really REALLY angry before hand about there possibly being a good Sylar.. But.. That last episode.. did you watch it? It was four years in the future... *spoiler* And he had his son Noah (A name I'm very curious about) and he was good. It didnt really bother me as much as I thoughtit was going to. I mean.. ok.. if they make it gradual.. thats not so bad... but if he is suddenly good.. thats horrible. I think he was a little too perfect in the future... but... It wasnt as bad as I was thinking it would be. It was actually kind of sweet that he had a son and he cared about him so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎