Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smallville transported closer to Metropolis?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallville transported closer to Metropolis?

I don't think anyone's mentioned this, but is it just me or is Smallville closer to Metropolis than it has been in previous seasons? It used to be 3 hours away and now it's like it's just a suburb of Metropolis. Yes, the distance has always been distorted (like you get injured in Metropolis and the best hospital to take you at for some reason is Smallville Medical Center) and I never understood why Chloe stayed at the Talon when she worked in Metropolis at the Planet, but now it just seems like a twenty minute drive outside of town. I mean, in one night Chloe drove from Smallville to Metropolis and back to Smallville again like it was no big deal to spend over 8 hours driving.

Also, in one scene at the Talon apartment, Bette says, "I'm leaving Metropolis." Umm...you already did leave Metropolis, you're three hours away in Smallville, I think you're good.

I know I'm being over-analytical about it, but it bugged me for some reason. Personally, I think that the producers aren't ready to give up the Talon set just yet, and that's why Chloe is still living in the Luthor-owned building even though it makes commuting a biznitch. I guess I should just be glad they finally decided to make a Metropolis General to at least alleviate that portion of the distance confusion.

The writers are not paying attention to their job.

Comment

I came up with a logical explanation of this a while back.

The sheer force of Clark constantly Super-Speeding back and forth from smallville and metropolis has slowly brought the 2 cities closer together.

and there you go.....

Comment

Metropolis has the distance of plot.

The visuals and the talk on Metropolis' distance never matched.
        In season one (Nicodemus, I think) Metropolis was visible from a little tower in Smallville, which practically made it suburbia.
        In other episodes (or maybe even the same) it was stated that it is three hours away, which would mean you can't see the city from that tower on the mole hill.

Comment

Originally posted by snarkycole
          in one scene at the Talon apartment, Bette says, "I'm leaving Metropolis." Umm...you already did leave Metropolis, you're three hours away in Smallville, I think you're good.
          This just made me laugh.

It's just a convenience to have the characters move back and forth from Smallville to Metropolis without any regards to time and distance. I'd hate for them to leave out Smallville or Metropolis just so some people could make sense of this. I love both places, and I want to see both places. Overlooking time and distance is fine, as long as I get to see both places.

Comment

Maybe Smallville has just grown in size...Home Depots, 4000 Starbucks, mega malls, so it's closer to Metropolis now. Time to rename it Mediumville?

Comment

actualy i think in season 3, chloe mentions it being 6 hours?
              in the episode called 'truth' where people just have the urge to tell the truth and pete says clarks going to go metropolis to get hot dogs and chloes says something around its a 6 hour journey just for food or something lol. i dunno

Comment

I think she was talking total time, there and back in that 6hrs. I went to college in a town that was 2hrs drive from my home town approx 130 miles. There is no way they could see Metropolis from anywhere in Smallville.

Comment

Originally posted by unfocused
                  This just made me laugh.

It's just a convenience to have the characters move back and forth from Smallville to Metropolis without any regards to time and distance. I'd hate for them to leave out Smallville or Metropolis just so some people could make sense of this. I love both places, and I want to see both places. Overlooking time and distance is fine, as long as I get to see both places.
                  You must be one of those muddy headed writers who think this works for people. A Good Story Teller pays attention to details like this!

Comment

If a grown up Superman came pick up islands that are the size of a continent and chuck it into space, surely the Smallville version of Clark Kent can move a tiny town like Smallville to just minutes away from Metropolis...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Magic
                      In season one (Nicodemus, I think) Metropolis was visible from a little tower in Smallville, which practically made it suburbia.
                      EXACTLY

It has always been different

Comment

i thought metropolis was on the coast with gotham and coast city which would make metropolis across the country not neightboing cities its has also been stated taht gotham can be seen from metropolis theses plot devices suck they should have just moved the whole cast to metropolis since the kents were written out of the show anyway

i guess how can you call a show smallville with no smallville they chose a bad name to begin with

could they be so bold to change its name inbetween seasons

Comment

Originally posted by WisdomConners
                          You must be one of those muddy headed writers who think this works for people.
                          Apparently, it's worked so far. You still watch Smallville

Comment

Originally posted by snarkycole
                            ..... It used to be 3 hours away and now it's like it's just a suburb of Metropolis. ..
                            Exactly, and I remember Pete saying Clark makes the round trip in 6 minutes.

Those poor smucks in Smallville, they don't realize they're the 'bottled city' Kandor.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLITT
                              Exactly, and I remember Pete saying Clark makes the round trip in 6 minutes.

Those poor smucks in Smallville, they don't realize they're the 'bottled city' Kandor.
                              Pete's remark was like back in season 1. Nowadays, Clark can make the round trip in 3-4 seconds (I believe when Chloe called him from a Metropolis dorm, Clark got there in about 1 second).

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎