No announcement yet.

Are guys just not observant?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are guys just not observant?

After watching the episode again....I have to wonder, do men just not notice huge blue rings??

I mean, Clark seems really surprised to hear Chloe is engaged, but if you watch their first scene....Chloe shifts her purse a lot, and the ring is front and center! So either he saw it and thought Chloe was into huge tacky ring accessories ...or he some how completely missed the massive blue heart on her ring finger.

Then...there's Davis. Who comes into the Isis foundation...pretty much has eye sex with her on the table....then when she exclaims "I'm engaged" he finally notices the massive blue rock on her finger....

So I am lead to believe men....or atleast these two men........not the most observant creatures in the world!

Actually, I think it's because they're just too into Chloe to notice anything else. Especially Davis!

Besides, men aren't exactly the most observant when it comes to things like that.

Comment

Well, she's wearing some big, tacky plastic ring on her finger. Who would think that was an engagement ring?

If Chloe was hanging out around me, and she told me that was her engagement ring, I'd have to talk a little sense to the girl and tell her that sentiment is fine and lovely, but her guy can spring for a decent ring with a diamond on it.

The whole plastic ring being endearing thing that Chloe has going is totally not working for me. She deserves a proper ring!

Comment

Originally posted by AChloeChick
        Actually, I think it's because they're just too into Chloe to notice anything else. Especially Davis!

Besides, men aren't exactly the most observant when it comes to things like that.
        Possibly.....which I cant lie...I like the way you think!
        But Chloe even flat out looks at it for a good 5 seconds when she's talking to clark...about "changes" being made.

Then Davis....if you hit on a girl, I thought it was usually a first rule...check the finger.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by BadToad
        Well, she's wearing some big, tacky plastic ring on her finger. Who would think that was an engagement ring?

If Chloe was hanging out around me, and she told me that was her engagement ring, I'd have to talk a little sense to the girl and tell her that sentiment is fine and lovely, but her guy can spring for a decent ring with a diamond on it.

The whole plastic ring being endearing thing that Chloe has going is totally not working for me. She deserves a proper ring!
        Yea she does deserve a real ring...I'm hoping Jimmy gets her atleast that! I loved how Davis called her out on it too..."thats interesting" then chloe feels she needs to defend it.

I can understand if it was on her other hand...but I think I would wonder if it was on her wedding finger. But you're right...nobody would ever just look at that ring and think "Oh...an engagement ring!"

Did you notice Clark never even asked why her engagement ring was a huge plastic blue heart.
        Last edited by AndiGirl; 09-25-2008, 09:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I think they couldn't believe that a guy would give a .25 cent plastic ring to their fiancee.

Comment

^^

True!! but wouldnt you atleast ask....I could see Clark putting his foot in his mouth.
            "Chloe...whats that huge thing on your finger??"

Comment

I don't think Davis was looking at Chloe's FINGER, you know what I'm saying?

And for a man whose mind is supposed to be like a steel trap, Clark does have such moments of blindness sometimes! Like...when people have huge gashes on their faces. And you expect him to pick up on a relatively small (in comparison) blue ring? Pssh. SUCH a guy.

I did like that Chloe wasn't just shifting her bag around thinking he might notice. It looked like she was TRYING to get him to notice. I do think that goes back to her not knowing how to tell him - she was hoping he'd notice and ask her about it so she wouldn't have to. I was glad they didn't show her seeming to be too sad when he didn't. Likely, she recognized that Clark was just being blind...as men so often are.

*sighs* My brother mentioned last night that all wedding dresses look the same to him. Honestly. It MUST be a male blindness things.

Comment

Oh...I know what you're sayin...he was looking somewhere entirely different when she was on the table. But still come on Davis....women in their early 20's not a far leap to assume they may be engaged or married. But you know...this could be a good thing too. Chloe certainly didnt come off like she had a guy at home....and Davis really had no idea that she might. (except when he was being a creeper when chloe and clark were talking...which was weird) So Chloe....maybe Jimmy.....needs to take a hike??

I know, Chloe just kept moving her poor little bag....trying to catch the sun in her beautiful blue piece of plastic...anything to get clark to bring it up, but nada!

Ugh....men! Thats weird that your brother said that....because not too long ago I was helping a friend pick out her dress, and her uncle said "what does it matter....a white dress is a white dress." They just dont seem to understand.

Comment

As a guy, and one who has had his share of romantic pratfalls, here's some real-life answers:

1) Is she hot? Chloe is pretty good looking. If the girl is hot, our brains tend to go pretty fuzzy. For example, I hit on a girl I met because she was funny, smart, and really hot, and then she told me she was engaged. Turns out there WAS a ring on the finger, but in my "haziness" I forgot what finger and hand the ring is supposed to be on. So I noticed it, and DIDN'T notice it.

2) If it was a cheap plastic ring like that, I would think it is something girls normally wear and not an engagement ring. Don't girls like to wear cheap jewelry and stuff like that on a lot of fingers and their wrists?

3) Is she hot? Yeah, I said it twice. If she is hot, some kind of weird competition internally kicks in when we see the ring, and we want to "steal her away" from the other guy. I am not kidding, I found myself trying to figure out in my head how to get this one girl away from the guy she was going to marry. Too bad that guy was a work colleague, or I might have tried it.

Oh and sorry, a white dress is a white dress. As long as YOU are happy with it, we tend to not care what it looks like. Plus....it really isn't there for us to be LOOKING at, if you catch my drift...
                  Last edited by Supes4Ever; 09-25-2008, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Supes4Ever
                    As a guy, and one who has had his share of romantic pratfalls, here's some real-life answers:

1) Is she hot? Chloe is pretty good looking. If the girl is hot, our brains tend to go pretty fuzzy. For example, I hit on a girl I met because she was funny, smart, and really hot, and then she told me she was engaged. Turns out there WAS a ring on the finger, but in my "haziness" I forgot what finger and hand the ring is supposed to be on. So I noticed it, and DIDN'T notice it.

2) If it was a cheap plastic ring like that, I would think it is something girls normally wear and not an engagement ring. Don't girls like to wear cheap jewelry and stuff like that on a lot of fingers and their wrists?

3) Is she hot? Yeah, I said it twice. If she is hot, some kind of weird competition internally kicks in when we see the ring, and we want to "steal her away" from the other guy. I am not kidding, I found myself trying to figure out in my head how to get this one girl away from the guy she was going to marry. Too bad that guy was a work colleague, or I might have tried it.

Oh and sorry, a white dress is a white dress. As long as YOU are happy with it, we tend to not care what it looks like. Plus....it really isn't there for us to be LOOKING at, if you catch my drift...
                    Well thank you for that insight Joe!!!
                    So basically....Chloe is hot, so Davis didnt notice. And Clark probably just assumed it was a weird fashion statement.

I kind of hope you are right about wanting to steal a girl away when she is engaged...steal her Davis....steal her!!

Comment

Originally posted by BadToad

YES!!! Exactly. She's just waving it around like it's a flippin' huge diamond on her hand. What idiot would automatically even percieve that to be an engagement ring?
                      It looks like she raided a 5 year olds jewlery box. Let's hope Lois knocks some sense into
                      her or makes Jimmy by her an actual ring!

(I think this episode made me angry more then anything. I've been using words like flipping and freaking ever since I started posting a little while ago.)

I'm a girl and I can appreciate sentementality, (I'm really sentimental myself), but if a guy can't even afford a proper ring and just gets you something from a gumball machine (or wherever the heck he got it) to me that would just spell "Get out now before he puts the two of you in the poor house". Or something else more...uh...strongly worded. (Like this guy is obviously a loser, how could you allow yourself to be with him?)
                      If a guy proposed to me with that tacky childish thing I'd probably throw it back at him and demand a real one (Probably not, I'm not that cold) or think it was a joke. Or, you know, do the smart thing and break up with him. Gently, though, if I had to. I'm not
                      that mean.

You can't live on love alone. I thought Chloe was smart enough to know that.

I wonder how much the writers had to drink before they thought up the "tacky heart ring that looks like kids jewlery" brilliant idea? I certainly hope that it's not based on any real life experiences. (This is Smallville not My Big Fat Redneck Wedding!!)

Edit:

Oh, and by the way, speaking from a girl's point of view, if I see a hot guy, usually the first or second thing I check for is a ring.

And as for "A white dress is a white dress". Please. Just wait until you single guys get married and see your bride walking down the aisle. She will take your breath away. You'll see.
                      (At least, that's what my mother said when my brother got married. I wish I could speak from experience there but I can't. Sadly, most of my 20 year old friends can!-I'm a little older then them
                      and still single.)
                      Last edited by Mini Wolfsbane; 09-25-2008, 10:50 PM.

Comment

^^ Oh...I loved your post!!

I completely agree.....Jimmy, if you cant buy the girl a ring...maybe you shouldnt ask her to marry you??

I agree....I am sentimental as well...but there are things a girl waits her entire life for...and an engagement ring is one of them.

What confuses me is...didnt jimmy say, when he proposed...that it was rushed and they would visit "tiffany's in the morning." To me that implied he would fix her up with a real ring....well...its been a week, where is it Jimmy??

I SOOO agree on the "you cant live on love alone" I fully intend to finish my masters degree before I get married. I want to be out of school and self sufficient.

But...the two of them are planning on building a life together when up until this point chloe was unemployed and jimmy works in the basement as a photpgrapher. How do they plan on doing that???

Comment

^Aw, thanks!! Sometimes I just go off on a tangent and I'm afraid know one will know what the heck I was talking about. I'm glad you did.

Agreed on there are things a girl waits her intire life for. Maybe it's all the Disney movies I watched growing up, but it's one of my big dreams to get married.

*puts a dunce cap on Jimmy* Appearantly Jimmy is rivaling Clark in the clueless department.

I'm not sure if I'll be living independently before I get married or not, but at this point, it sounds kinda nice. (I won't get into it, but let's just say I live a VERY sheltered life right now and can't wait to have my own life. Boyfriend or no boyfriend.) I wish I could marry rich and be financially secure, but that's a pipe dream. The best I can hope for is someone who treats me right and has a steady job. As for me, I've barely begun to decide what I'm going to do with my life. I'm still figuring it out.

LOL!! Good, good points! I didn't even think about that. I guess they will live above the Talon and have Jimmy's meager income to live off of while using plenty of food stamps.
                          (No offense to anyone who uses them.)

Comment

You know maybe we aren't observant because I didn't notice that ring on her finger until Davis did.

Comment

What's up with all the male bashing? Why is it okay these days for people to insult men. In the media, men are always the idiots of a relationship. They do the stupid things and it's up to the woman to fix it. If it was the other way around there would be letters written and lawsuits filed.

And why do women need a guy to spend a few thousand dollars on a ring to say "I love you"? What's the saying...a guy should spend 3 pay cheques on an engagement ring? How about 2 people fall madly in love, they don't care how big the diamond is, and they have a bit more money for a honeymoon or towards a downpayment on a home. A ring can be beautiful without having to be expensive. How come diamonds are a girls best friend, but all guys get is a dog?

And for the record, I did notice that she was wearing the big blue ring and was trying to make Clark see it, or maybe even trying to hide it from him.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant....

*** Edit ***
                              To the person who was confused about the line about going to Tiffany's, it was actually a reference to the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's".

*** Edit 2 ***
                              Wow...just read the post by Supes4ever...man, you are just everything that's bad about stereotypes. Is she hot? Male macho competition trying to steal a girl away like she's a possession? Grow up already!
                              Last edited by znz212; 09-25-2008, 11:41 PM. Reason: adding something after reading more posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎