Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time Loop Error?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol! It does tend to give you a headache trying to figure out time related things.

BTW - Welcome to the boards Cycotech.
    Last edited by Randy G.; 09-23-2008, 11:57 AM.

Comment

heh, Thanks Randy, I've been here for a while actually, I just do more reading than posting

Comment

Originally posted by getkuhl
        if F peter made any change in the past it would have affected him in that very moment, because all of the events that shaped who he is would have been changed from then on, time talk is brain straining, but if you really think about it, thats how it works. bc if Peter were to get shot, then F Peter would just vanish and nathan would have never been shot bc future peter wouldnt have existed. all changes affect the future, when someone is from the future it changes them immediately.
        That's just not how time travel works in Heroes, as we saw with Future Hiro in Season 1. When Future Hiro changed bits of the pass, ie saving the Cheerleader, he did not change- his memories were still of a world where Claire was killed by Sylar.

There are two models of time travel that work when applied to the Heroes Universe.

A. Multiple Timelines. Every time Hiro or Peter time travel, they jump to a new timeline. Thus anything they change effects the world around them, but since they're from another timeline, it won't affect them- their own past is still fixed.

B. Timeline Replacement. The same thing as A, but everytime a timeline is jumped to, the old one is ahnihilated. Really this model just exists so that A can occur without a multi-verse, which is a concept that some people just don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Doctor
          That's just not how time travel works in Heroes, as we saw with Future Hiro in Season 1. When Future Hiro changed bits of the pass, ie saving the Cheerleader, he did not change- his memories were still of a world where Claire was killed by Sylar.
          But it did changed, don't forget that Claire was alive on that future, until Sylar/Nathan killed her.

What happened on season 1 was that Future Hiro miscalculated the importance of Claire. Only when Present Hiro saw the future, the opportunity to change the future was set.

The best explanation is the one that Randy gave. Time travelers are outside the time, so they aren't affected. That's why Future Hiro didn't knew about Claire being alive on his future.
          Last edited by Timester; 09-24-2008, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 98chase
            I don't like time travel story lines. Future Peter came back to shoot Nathan because Nathan revealed them to the world. If F. Peter shot Nathan, then Nathan would never tell the world, which, if Nathan never tells, F. Peter would never have come back to shoot Nathan. If Peter never comes back, then Nathan tells the world. It's a never ending loop.

I know that's confusing. I'm trying to think of a better way to word it.

See this is why I like "Back to the Future" soo much... think back to the scene when Doc is explaining time travel, the sketches on the black board.

Basically, how I understand it, as soon as Future Peter went back and shot Nathan, the Future was changed, so if Future Pete were to travel back to 4 years into the future, he would see a world affected by the event of him shooting Nathan.

However the unchanged future continued to exist, (i.e. hunted Heroes, gun wielding cheerleader etc...) in another dimension. (Now we're moving into Stargate territory).

This is why I like Heroes: makes everyone a resident astrophysicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Timester
              But it did changed, don't forget that Claire was alive on that future, until Sylar/Nathan killed her.
              It changed, but Hiro did not change.

The best explanation is the one that Randy gave. Time travelers are outside the time, so they aren't affected. That's why Future Hiro didn't knew about Claire being alive on his future.
              Yeah, Randy expressed it a lot better than I did. (But I was basically saying the same thing he was, with crazy theoretical physics stuff thrown in.)

Comment

Well the way i see it if F Peter keeps hopping time and space and changing things. How long will it take before he screws things up so bad that we get chromarty and the whole terminator gang in heroes?

Comment

Originally posted by iluvSmallvilleandi'm24
                  See this is why I like "Back to the Future" soo much... think back to the scene when Doc is explaining time travel, the sketches on the black board.

Basically, how I understand it, as soon as Future Peter went back and shot Nathan, the Future was changed, so if Future Pete were to travel back to 4 years into the future, he would see a world affected by the event of him shooting Nathan.

However the unchanged future continued to exist, (i.e. hunted Heroes, gun wielding cheerleader etc...) in another dimension. (Now we're moving into Stargate territory).

This is why I like Heroes: makes everyone a resident astrophysicist.
                  Yeah, I didn't like the inconsistencies from the "Back to the Future" series either. I think it is the second one where Marty goes to the future and sees himself get fired. If that did in fact happen, wouldn't the future Marty know that his younger self was in the room watching his older self get fired?

Comment

Technically

You can't go back in time with the express purpose to change an event.

Because if you change the event then you eliminate the reason you went back in time in the first place so you in the future have no reason to go back into the past, so you never did.

Time will always correct itself to assure events happen as they did.

Comment

If you noticed from ep 3 and the trailer for ep 4, Peter is now back to stop Mohinder's formula, not to stop Nathan from outing them. Looks like his motivation changed with the new future. Maybe his scar is just an inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMonarch909
                        Technically

You can't go back in time with the express purpose to change an event.

Because if you change the event then you eliminate the reason you went back in time in the first place so you in the future have no reason to go back into the past, so you never did.

Time will always correct itself to assure events happen as they did.
                        That's assuming a certain model of time travel that Heroes clearly does not follow.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Doctor
                          That's assuming a certain model of time travel that Heroes clearly does not follow.
                          Clearly not, there is pretty much a [MOD EDIT].
                          Last edited by Ginx; 10-07-2008, 11:49 AM. Reason: Violation of rule #2

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMonarch909
                            Clearly not, there is pretty much a [MOD EDIT].
                            No, go read Randy G's post, its fairly simple, and one of several theories of time travel put forth by theoretical physicists.
                            Last edited by Ginx; 10-07-2008, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎