This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaderoyale
    I personally don't understand how .
    Me either. First, how can TPTB tell with any certainity about those kinds of numbers? Second, how can we be sure numbers aren't tweaked to increase ad revenues in specific areas? Third, who/how chooses which homes monitors will be in to provide statistical info with which to calculate viewership? I, have never known anyone or anyone who knows anyone who had had their tv viewing habits monitored. I would think it might be easy to skew the data. An easy way to do that, I would think, is to put the viewing monitors in specific populations. And lastly, many of the people, I know, who used to watch AI have stopped because they are bored with it, or feel the voting is crazy,

Comment

it doesn't surprise me more people watch American Idol, american people are suckers for that type of show where people can so called realize their dreams and of course they like to feel they are part of the outcome and vote for who looks better, they even treat their elections like that, who looks like they could do a better job.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyolsenblues
        only 3.8 million , its sad that more people do not watch the show.
        and 24 million watch american idol. what a shame.
        quite simply put because most people nowadays have no taste in GOOD television programmes FACT!

Comment

I'm happy with 3.81mil. with Live+7 it should be close to 5mil. Smallville is holding steady!

{As good as Apocalypse was it really deserved more Premiere type ratings.}

Comment

3.8 Million is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dor el
              I know, who used to watch AI have stopped because they are bored with it, or feel the voting is crazy,
              I usually give up after the auditions part, although if there is an interesting contestant(Sanjaya for instance) i might continue watching till they get booted.

Comment

{As good as Apocalypse was it really deserved more Premiere type ratings.}
                I think there have been many episodes where the entertainment was so good that it was a shame to have been seen by so few viewers. There have been exceptions, I grant that.

Comment

2007-2008
                  1.Bizarro............5.18 million*
                  2.Kara................4.59 million*
                  3.Fierce..............4.82 million*
                  4.Cure................5.18 million*
                  5.Action..............4.65 million*
                  6.Lara................4.38 million*
                  7.Wrath..............4.64 million*
                  8.Blue.................4.51 million*
                  9.Gemini.............3.71 million*
                  10.Persona............3.81 million*
                  11.Siren.................4.01 million*
                  12.Fracture..............3.67 million*
                  13.Hero...................3.81 million*
                  14.Traveler...............3.44 million*
                  15.Veritas.................3.86 million*
                  16.Descent................3.61 million*
                  17.Sleeper.................3.62 million*
                  18. Apocalypse............3.81 million*

* Final numbers

Not as good as I hoped but a pretty darn good jump from the previous week. Hopefully, the momentum will continue.

Dare I suggest that perhaps the iconic Clois shots being used to advertise this eppy had a positive effect?
                  Last edited by Jack-El49; 05-06-2008, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dor el
                    Me either. First, how can TPTB tell with any certainity about those kinds of numbers? Second, how can we be sure numbers aren't tweaked to increase ad revenues in specific areas? Third, who/how chooses which homes monitors will be in to provide statistical info with which to calculate viewership? I, have never known anyone or anyone who knows anyone who had had their tv viewing habits monitored. I would think it might be easy to skew the data. An easy way to do that, I would think, is to put the viewing monitors in specific populations. And lastly, many of the people, I know, who used to watch AI have stopped because they are bored with it, or feel the voting is crazy,
                    1. I'm not sure I understand the question. 2. Nielsen numbers are not "tweaked". They measure the exact number of viewers with Nielsen boxes that are watching (or have their TV tuned to a specific channel). Then those numbers are used to estimate "actual" viewers. Based on statistics, about 5000 homes have Nielsen boxes, which is "equivalent" to about 100 million people. 3. They are chosen at random, but must meet certain requirements and fit into certain categories (age, gender, salary, race, etc...).

I will never understand why fans care about the ratings. Smallville is already renewed for it's last season. The only one who should care is the network. Based on the Nielsen numbers, they charge more or less money to advertisers. 3 million viewers, 4 million, 5 million....doesn't really matter. And DVR numbers mean even less, because advertisers don't care about people who fast forward through their commmercials.
                    Last edited by RichardMarx; 05-06-2008, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I was just thinking that if the Nielson boxes are truly randomly selected versus being selected for certain demographics, it could impact the validity of the information. Are the boxes placed nationwide or or they located in population heavy cities? I truly don't know. I'm just saying, I've never met one of the chosen "5000" nor have I ever talked to an individual who knew someone in that group. But, considering the population of the US and how relatively few boxes are in play, that's not that unusual. It's kind of like these political polls. Depending on where and of whom you ask the survey questions, the researcher can pretty much get the answers he may be looking for. I just find it difficult to believe that a study group of 5000 among millions of viewers would give an accurate picture of the viewing habits overall. But, I am not a statistician, even though I have conducted experimental research in college and was taught that a larger study population is more likely to yield results more representative of the general population.

But, you are right, SV is renewed for season 8 even though we can't be sure it won't get canceled before the season begins or shortly after it begins. LnC was renewed for another season and then was abruptly canceled prior to the beginning of the season. At least that's what I have read.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack-El49
                        Dare I suggest that perhaps the iconic Clois shots being used to advertise this eppy had a positive effect?
                        You may

Comment

Here is a look into how the Nielsen system works.

How it works Nielsen

Comment

3.81 M is good! Yay!

Comment

Live +7 are in:

SMALLVILLE, 4,294 million

Season 7 Live +7 ratings

Bizarro.............5.59 million*
                              Kara................5.04 million*
                              Fierce..............5.20 million*
                              Cure................5.61 million*
                              Action..............5.08 million*
                              Lara................4.75 million*
                              Wrath..............5.12 million*
                              Blue.................4.90 million*
                              Gemini.............4.05 million*
                              Persona............4.34 million*
                              Siren...............4.53 million*
                              Fracture...........4.18 million*
                              Hero................4.40 million*
                              Traveler...........4.13 million*
                              Veritas.............4.39 million*
                              Descent............4.19 million*
                              Sleeper.............4.19 million*
                              Apocalypse........4.29 million*

Season Average - 4.67 million
                              Last edited by Best Episode - 321; 05-19-2008, 05:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thanks, Smallville gained 896,000 viewers! That's good, I had a feeling it would be

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎