My heart wept for Lex

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the end Lex could not deny his true nature

Comment

Any of the times in season 1 or 2 where he tries to help Clark out with Lana. There was a priceless moment in season 1 where Clark says something like, "I have these two great friends who are girls and I don't know what to do with either of them."

Then Lex: "For arguments sake, lets call them Lana and Chloe..."

Haha Lex used to be so funny. Then he got evil and serious all the time.

Comment

My favorite was when Clark tried to break him out of Belle Reve in Asylum. The events of that episode were so damn tragic. We saw what good friends they could be & how much Lex really loved Clark as a brother, especially when the 2 Ian's attacked him. Lionel's evil prevented from happening though. Even if they did escape, Lionel would never let up hunting Lex down and trying to find Clark's secret after seeing that security video and how Lex knew his secret. It was more tragic when he forced that doctor to give him radical electroshock therapy and Clark saw what happened to his friend when they met at the end. Clark was so angered at losing that he vowed not to let Lionel get away with it. I loved that episode because we saw Clark as the way Superman would be, refusing to give up after seeing someone abused so badly. We also saw how great their friendship could have been had Lionel not made it impossible. Lionel's continued influence then had a negative influence on Lex until Lex became like him & worse.

Comment

I've enjoyed reading all of these posts! Smallville's Lex Luthor, as portrayed so brilliantly by Michael Rosenbaum, is such a fascinating character and his relationship with Clark the reason why I love the show. As I read through the poll I immediatley looked for the Memoria reference, but it actually occured to me that as tragic as the events surrounding Julian's death are, Lex does not willingly take responsibility for them. The tragedy of Lex's upbringing is that he suppresses the truth and makes up his own fiction due the mental abuse he suffers as a result of Lionel's belief that he murdered his brother out of jealousy (just as many children believe the lies of their abusers that the abuse is their own fault). So for that reason, as much as the events of Memoria make me sympathise with Lex more than any other, I don't think it's an example of "good" Lex.
          My favourite is the scene towards the end of Asylum (which, as xray says above, has many wonderful Clark/Lex moments), when Lex, in a near-lobotomised state, tells Clark that there is one thing that he will never forget - how much his friendship means to him. Plenty of people on here argue that Lex's friendship with Clark was only ever about finding the truth, but this scene shows that when it's all stripped back, when Lex is at his weakest, when he has suffered yet more abuse at the hands of his father, he looks for solace in his friendship with Clark. I love the way Lex shuts his eyes as he hugs Clark - I think it's the most honest outpouring of love we ever see from Lex.

Comment

I have to say Lex taking the blame for Julian's death.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex Dance
              I've enjoyed reading all of these posts! Smallville's Lex Luthor, as portrayed so brilliantly by Michael Rosenbaum, is such a fascinating character and his relationship with Clark the reason why I love the show. As I read through the poll I immediatley looked for the Memoria reference, but it actually occured to me that as tragic as the events surrounding Julian's death are, Lex does not willingly take responsibility for them. The tragedy of Lex's upbringing is that he suppresses the truth and makes up his own fiction due the mental abuse he suffers as a result of Lionel's belief that he murdered his brother out of jealousy (just as many children believe the lies of their abusers that the abuse is their own fault). So for that reason, as much as the events of Memoria make me sympathise with Lex more than any other, I don't think it's an example of "good" Lex.
              My favourite is the scene towards the end of Asylum (which, as xray says above, has many wonderful Clark/Lex moments), when Lex, in a near-lobotomised state, tells Clark that there is one thing that he will never forget - how much his friendship means to him. Plenty of people on here argue that Lex's friendship with Clark was only ever about finding the truth, but this scene shows that when it's all stripped back, when Lex is at his weakest, when he has suffered yet more abuse at the hands of his father, he looks for solace in his friendship with Clark. I love the way Lex shuts his eyes as he hugs Clark - I think it's the most honest outpouring of love we ever see from Lex.
              It was something how after everything happened even in season 6 (especially Crimson) that Lex was again on relatively decent speaking terms with Clark in episodes like Cure, Action & Lara. We actually saw Clark entering the mansion in Action without any disdain from Lex. I think it was a big mistake not to have a Clark-Lex-Grant plot in season 7 by having the 3 interact in a last ditch attempt for Lex to save himself from becoming totally evil. Lex opened up to Clark a lot about Julian and having it come full circle with Clark & Grant interacting & Clark filling him on the lost times would have been great. I watched Gemini about 1-2 weeks ago and was amazed after watching it again how good that episode was.

I would love to have seen Lex in season 8 knowing Clark was the RBB and having the 2 interact with Lex trying to influence Clark's role as the RBB to what he thinks it should be. I think especially right now with how Clark after Doomsday no longer has a black/white sense of right & wrong & now believes the ends justify the means, an "I told you so" scene with Lex & Clark would be very interesting.

Comment

RIP good Lex...I will miss the warm hugs you use to give Clark

"Are friendship will be the stuff of legends."

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍