Detailed episode review: Lizards

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailed episode review: Lizards

Not my favorite episode.

So, after only getting a brief minute of Peter at the end of last episode, we get a whole lot more of him in this one. And while I'm not going to argue with multiple scenes of Milo with his shirt off, I was unimpressed by this storyline from the very beginning. I thought it should have been one episode's worth, and then they needed to write Peter back to the US and into the grand scheme of things. This Ireland setting dragged on way too long.

Hayden looks gorgeous in this episode. Not sure what it is, but she's even prettier than usual here. Funny line: "High school doesn't work that way, Dad, you lay low and you get noticed more than anyone! They have metal detectors for people who lay too low." But beyond that, I'm bored with her arc here... she seems to be spinning her wheels. And West is still bothering me like crazy.

I don't see Yaeko falling for it--Hiro and Kensei sound very, very different, and this girl isn't stupid. The "Battle of the 12 Swords" scene was pretty cute, though. It's just that if any of the characters were going to get a romantic storyline written for them, I wouldn't have picked Hiro. Masi is cute, and Hiro is a lovely character, but just not sexy enough to pull off this kind of a love story.

When did Peter meet DL? Did he pick up DL's power just from being in Kirby Plaza with him in last year's season finale? If that's all the proximity it takes, did he also pick up Niki's power? Does he have super strength or multiple personalities now? And if he ever wanted to, does he have Sylar's power? If he sliced someone's head open, could he steal their power? Not that he would need to. And one more question: did he absorb all of Sylar's new stolen powers? Freezing things, super hearing?

I like that they wrote Maya and Alejandro's powers as two halves of a whole, and that one is destructive while the other can reverse the effects, but I just can't get behind Alejandro. I think the character was miscast.

Woah. Angela Petrelli is a share-holder in Yamagato Industries, and she admits to having had a sexual relationship with Kaito Nakamura at some point in the past. Huh. How long ago? I'll assume for the moment that the writers aren't cheesey enough to write her in as Hiro's mother, or trying to pass Kaito off as either Nathan or Peter's father. I wouldn't believe any of the three kids as half-Japanese-half-Caucasian. Plus, we've had enough of the secret blood relations with Claire, Peter, and Nathan. We don't need to add Hiro into the mix. Other things learned in Matt's interrogation of Angela: the helix is the logo of the late Mr. Petrelli's law firm, and Angela believes someone is seeking revenge on "us" because they "did something terrible". Huh. Who is "us" and what did they do? And who is seeking revenge? I didn't like how they filmed her attack, though. Looked kind of stupid.

The arrow hits looked extremely fake when Kensei got shot. David even took the hit badly, which is unlike him--he's a better actor than he seemed here. But it was a good way of introducing his invincibility.

Bits and Pieces:

* Noah says that everything Isaac ever painted came true, but that's not right--New York didn't blow up. But when this originally aired I was extremely curious about the other seven paintings.
    * Hasn't Matt met Ando before? No? Ando must at least recognize Matt from his stint in the future.
    * Funny Kensei line: "You look like a fish when you talk." "No, I promise, if you do this they'll tell the story for four hundred years!" "Like a giant carp."
    * Mohinder looks nice in his white suit. He's not too great at speaking French, though.
    * So The Haitian has the virus, huh? When did he contract it? And how? Does it have anything to do with Peter having his necklace now?
    * Caitlin bothered me from the beginning, too. I'm quite picky about my new characters. I didn't believe her and Peter, and as I said before, I dislike the whole Ireland location.
    * I love Milo with short hair. I can't adequately express how much I love the haircut. The long hair at the end of last season was getting truly ridiculous, and he looks lovely here.
    * Nice reference as West taunts Claire: "I figured you'd be more into whales or unicorns or something." See what Hayden stands up for: http://www.looktothestars.org/celebr...den-panettiere
    * ...and Claire got her new car stolen. Nicely done, babe. You made a crack about "is my hair really that blond?" but if you honestly just 'forgot' to lock your new car, allowing it to get stolen, yes, it is precisely that blond.
    * I bet it's really hot in LA in that Takezo Kensei outfit.
    * I understand that Claire is curious about what she can do, but why now? She's been experimenting with self mutilation and suicide for months now. And why does she think it's okay to speak in loud voices about this to her father while he's at work? In public? Doesn't make sense.
    * Ugh. Beard!Nathan is back. At least they were good enough to catch that these two had met before in Texas. So this means Nathan never saw Shot!Matt in Kirby Plaza, and Shot!Matt must have been unconscious from the moment he was shot, thus missing Nathan's heroic last-minute performance.
    * Why in the world doesn't Peter just take the box from Ricky?
    * Did The Haitian really wipe Mohinder's memory, or was Mohinder pretending? If Mohinder is working with Noah and Noah is working with The Haitian, why didn't Mohinder just tell The Haitian of their common acquaintance when he arrived with the cure?
    * I understand Claire's desire to experiment, but honey, don't be stupid. Please close all windows looking out on the street when cutting off body parts.
    *Where is Sylar?? I need some quality villain time.

Thanks for reading, and for more of my reviews, check out my website! You can find the link by visiting my profile.

GG
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎