X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Gift From The Heavens

Title: A gift from the heavens
    Characters: Jonathan/Martha/Baby Clark
    Spoilers: None

He had never believed in love at first sight, not until a little boy with bright green eyes, a mess of curly dark hair and small chubby cheeks had smiled up at him shattering everything he had ever known about love and building it up to take on a completely different shape.

There was no doubt in his mind that Clark Kent was meant for him and his wife, he was their little boy as surely as if they had brought him home from a hospital ward swaddled in blankets. After all, hadn‘t he found them. Hadn’t he sat comfortably in his arms that first day and shrank back from everyone else.

He craned his head, looking up at the night sky, at the bright stars twinkling in the swathe of black velvet. Somewhere out there was the planet on which his son had been born. His chest tightened at the thought, at the secrets he would have to keep to keep his boy safe at all costs, at the lies he would have to wrap his family in to protect them from the world.

"Jonathan.”

Startled out of his thoughts, he turned around to find Martha poking her head around the door. Her hair was scraped back from her face and despite the tired lines around her eyes, she was happier then he would have believed possible six months ago. “What is it honey?”

His wife rolled his eyes. “Clark wants a bedtime story and he wants it from daddy.”

Daddy! His heart swelled at the word and he knew his grin was as wide as the one on Martha’s face as he followed her inside.

"Daddy.” Clark held his chubby little arms up, as soon as he walked into the room, demanding to be held and Jonathan chuckled as he lifted him up and brushed a kiss on his soft warm cheek.

"You should be in bed young man.” He said trying to sound as stern as he could.

Clark only grinned and dropped his head onto his father’s shoulder nuzzling into his neck. “Story first,” He mumbled sleepily, barely able to keep his eyes open.

Carrying him over to the bed, Jonathan tucked him in gently, stroking a stray curl away from his eyes before pulling up a chair. He picked up a book from the bedside table and had only just opened it when he heard the first little snore.

He laughed softly and leaned over to drop a kiss onto his forehead. Clark’s lips curled sweetly in his sleep and he snuggled deeper into his blankets. He sat for a moment watching him sleep, his little chest rising and falling gently and marvelled that there was nothing to give away the fact that this child wasn’t from this planet, maybe not even this galaxy.

Nothing that could be seen anyway.

“Is he already asleep?” Martha held out a cup of coffee as he walked into the kitchen and he took a sip before answering.

“He fell asleep as soon as his head touched the pillow.”

She smiled and his eyebrows crinkled as he watched her. How was it possible that they shared the same smile, his wife and his son? Because they did.

“What?”

“He’s got your smile.”

Martha laughed sadly. “You know that’s not possible.”

He shrugged. “It’s true.”

Her lips trembled then and he held out his arms, enveloping her in a hug, when she came to him. Her eyes were rimmed with red when she pulled away and he wiped a stray tear from her cheek.

I was so scared,” She whispered. “When we first found him and you insisted we couldn’t keep him.”

He looked towards the ceiling. “I was scared too.” He admitted reluctantly. “I was scared of loving him and having him taken away, scared of him suddenly morphing into a creature from a horror movie and taking over the planet.”

“Jonathan!”

He coloured. “He came in a spaceship.” He defended himself. “We couldn’t be sure he was a child and not a robot or something.”

She shook her head indulgently. “And when did you know that we would keep him?”

“When I held him in my arms and his little fist curled around my finger.” He smiled at the memory. “That’s when I knew I wouldn’t let anybody take him away.”

“Nobody’s going to take him away.”

“They’ll try if they know where he’s from and what he can do.” He stood straighter. “That’s why nobody can know. Nobody at all. Not even Clark not until he’s old enough to understand.”

She nodded as he knew she would. They had talked of this before, hadn’t talked of much else really since the day of the meteor shower. Maybe this wasn’t the best way but it was the only way he could think of to keep his family safe.

This is my first Kent family fic. A hit or a miss? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

A hit, definitely. Very sweet.

Comment

Very sweet fic, well done.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍