Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of Fracture?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought I thought that "Fracture" was a solid Smallville episode with a very interesting premise. Clark Kent/ Kal-El going into Lex's mind to locate his missing Kryptonian cousin Kara Kent/El was a very creative concept. I liked that the evil aspect of Lex's psyche was tormenting Clark by forcing him to watch him and Lana having sex, amidst a firy backgroung with a mid- Eastern musical vibe. The passage by Clark through Lex's mind, also shows what an abusive and dominering father that Lionel Luther was. Lex is a byproduct of his corrupt enviroment, which caused him to be the man that he is today. The viewers also got to see a discreetly dark side to Clark, which was exposed when he covinced Chloe not use her powers to save Lex. If this situation happened 4 years ago, Clark would be more passive towards Chloe's decison to save Lex. I wish that Lana was featured more in this episode, becuse the actress that plays her "Kristin Kruek" is glaring eye candy amongst this shows male viewers, especially myself. I am very annoyed by the fact that each Smallville season has sevaral breaks between episodes.
    I

Comment

• I had some problems with it, which I posted in another thread...

But my favorite parts were:
      1)Lana's kiss to an unreciprocating Clark. (Yes!! score!!!)
      2)Chloe chosing to die (and maybe not coming back) in order to save Clark.
      3)Clark deciding to never give up on Lex, and getting a chance to promise that to "Alexander".
      4) Plus, having Clark quote Lex's own line back to him, and getting Lex to sit there and think about it.

Yes! That was a much needed strong moment for Clark to be the one with the thought-provoking statement who gets to walk out the door...something that they always have everyone else doing to him, so it was refreshing!
      Last edited by morethanmeetstheye; 03-16-2008, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Outstanding episode! It was great to see Kara return.

Comment

• First 5 minutes I thought: OMG No, not another parallel universe aleternate reality dream episode. With Lex being shot and apparently dead I thought: no this can't be real, get ready to hit the reset button at the end of the ep. But than WOW great show!!! Good acting!

KARA IS BACK!!! YEAH!!!

Not much else to say. Slow bits in between gave it an 8.

Comment

• it was a great episode..

Comment

• Going inside Lex's brain to find Kara was definately extreme, but a great way to make an all new episode! I loved it!

Comment

• This episode is good but not better than Labernyth.Liked how they found kara,going into lexs mind was tight.But the plot had nhing to do with what we were looking for.

Comment

• I thought this was a pretty decent episode, aside from the "crazy busboy" story it helped to answer a few questions that fans most likely were asking themselves, like; What has happened to Kara? Is there any good left in Lex? How much has Lionel really changed? Although, there is one continuity problem(which I responded in the proper thread)this episode fits nicely in this season.
                  Although, the writer's strike hit this season hard, limiting the amount of episodes that were shot, it also helped keep the writer's consistent with the story arc, no time for fillers in this season and I liked that.
                  I especially enjoyed seeing evil Lex again and id find myself smiling at seeing good Lex(Alexander)again, even if he was just a child version, the innocence is there, the Lex that went all out to protect a young boy(Ryan)without any other intentions was shown again.
                  Lois in this episode was eh, she really wasn't needed, she seemed to just be there to provide a reason for Lex to not shoot right away.
                  Chloe's powers are again addressed as they really take a toll on her, this helps to explain why she never uses them again, but doesn't explain why they are never even mentioned. I loved John Glover here, Lex has finally gotten what he said he wanted long ago, to hear his father say he loves him and the look on Lionel's face when Lex walked away, he knows that the end is near for him and that Lex was gone. John Glover has always been the best on this series and episodes like this when he opens himself up are amazing, a true legend at work(yes the same man who created Poison Ivy in B&R)

Comment

• Season 6 did a better job with "Labyrinth". I did like how we saw climbses of Lex' good side. This would have been a pretty good episode even. Like 8 but that scene with Lex forcing Clark to watch him doing Lana was really sick. I understand why Lex would do that but did we really need to see that?

Comment

• "Fracture" doesn't seem to be well-loved by many people... and I may not adore it either, but I think it did have some quite redeeming qualities! We got to see what was going on with Kara all this time, and her Linda Danvers plot was pretty cool. We got to see a Lex and Lois team-up, which hardly EVER happens for ANY reason. Connor Stanhope was an AWESOME Li'l Lex -- the best I've ever seen, honestly. Clark's scene with him were really cool, as was the last scene between Clark and Lex. Chloe's use of her abilities and the Chlark conversation were cool, too. I'll give this episode... 6 out of 10 mind-searching devices.

Comment

I think this was one of the stronger episodes of season 7. Anytime we get a chance to delve into Lex's psyche seems to make for a strong episode. In this case, Lex getting shot and left for dead, followed by Chloe using her healing power and being 'dead' was a nice segue into the Veritas arc. I've said before that I think that arc, despite being a retcon, had more mileage than they were able to show. The writer's strike forcing everyone to hurry things along didn't help, but I think the placement of this episode didn't help either. I can't help thinking that it should have followed 'Blue', with a little tweak to account for the real Clark's imprisonment at the Fortress while Bizarro took his place.

It was never made clear why Lois was tailing Lex, and her placement in the episode was simply so that the photo she took on her phone led Clark and Chloe to realise that Kara was alive in Detroit. They also portrayed Lois as knowing Kara pretty well, even to the point of letting her borrow jeans and so on, and yet the two never had any onscreen interaction at any other time in season 7.

The true glory in the episode is Clark being inside Lex's mind. We see that Lex is fully embracing his Dark side now, and kicking the good side (young Alexander) to the kerb. Later fully recovered, he shuns Lionel and we learn that his rehabilitation has enabled him to retrieve memories he'd lost following the first meteor shower. He remembers his father and the other members of Veritas talking about a traveller they need to protect.

Comment

• An episode that becomes more important in retrospect. In this episode, we're introduced to the Intercept Device. In the S11 comic, this device is used to extract the memories of the E-2 Chloe and transfer the conciousness of Hank Henshaw and Tess into machines (leading to them becoming Cyborg-Superman and Red Tornado). So, the episode introduces something that'll have major impact on the world, in the years to follow. In some ways, it shows that you should really judge episodes, after the whole series/franchise is over (when you can see the whole picture). Something can come across as a throwaway concept in one episode, then have major importance years later.

As for the episode itself, I liked going into Lex's mind. Showing us his good side and his bad, in constant battle with each other. He isn't a cartoonish villian, he's a real person. Real people are thorn between their good impulses and bad impulses.

The conversations between Clark and Chloe about her powers make sense from an in-universe perspective. Yes, using them to bring people back could one day end her life for good. However, with hindsight (as we know she looses them not long after this) and the knowledge that this is a TV show (meaning that she only dies if the actress dies, the actress gets fired or quits; something that would then be announced before her death episode) makes such concerns (as they clearly want the audience to worry that Chloe might not come back, the next time she revives someone) redundant. Imagine if they had used this ability more often. It would've been a constant repeat of "Chloe might die, if she uses her powers", followed by her coming back and them being concerned that next time might be the last. So, it's nice that they held back on the usage of this ability. Even if I think it was a little late for them do have Chloe be a meteor freak (something that had almost entirely vanished from the show, by this point).

A minor note about the one-shot villian. His name was Jaocb Finley. In the comics, Jacob Finlay was one of the people to go under the alias of "Doctor Light".

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎