Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computers and typing on Smallville.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't exactly confined to Smallville. Often movies and television have people "type" when they're not supposed to just to have something happening in the scene.

Comment

I thought it was silly how Chloe could stop a bank wire transfer just by hacking into canary's computer, lol

Comment

It's just like on shows where someone is dialing a phone number but that really only press like 3 or 4 numbers. They should either go all the way or just pretend they are doing speed dial haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Nospam
          A Perl script?
          lOl
          lOl
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          And you'll notice, she's typing while a script is actually running. As if to imply that her typing is allowing the script to progress. How cheap and contradictive. I could understand if she were to hit the Enter key every couple of seconds, but to constantly rat-ta-tat-tat is bogus and apparent.
          Last edited by litew8; 02-09-2008, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
            My biggest gripe about computers in this show are how various characters who had no training can suddenly do everything with a computer.
            Well, we never did get to see what courses all of the characters took in school.

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Lara Lane
            Je suis d'accord! the inaccurate usage of computers (typing, hacking, cracking, etc) in this show really pisses me off.

LoL! I too was wondering what Allison was typing herself, like the director says "action" and she thinks "what will I write while I pretend to write?? I know, my name once and again!" or "the lines I'm supposed to say"
            It would be more belivable if she pulled in a nerd buddy, or something like she did in the early years but that would take too long.

----- Added 7 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by borednow
            What I hate is that the writers just use computers like magic wands. Can't figure out how to get out of this jam? Chloe can hack the pentagon and use her internet resources to track the sales of individual comic books. They have the probably most powerful Superhero ever at their disposal and this is what they come up with? nb hhhyuhyhuhyhyu <- What it looks like when someone smacks their head against a keyboard, just FYI.
            gotta give them some credit. At least they aren't talking to the computer and it's not talking back.
            Last edited by Radioflyer; 02-09-2008, 04:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

In an interview Allison revealed that she actually types her lines in scenes where she is required to type. Apparently Tom just types his name over and over again.
              that is so cool that you know that!
              I've always wondered what Allison types in those scenes (and in the few that Tom does as well). Sometimes I watch her fingers to try to see what letters she's typing away at to figure it out.

What I think is funny is that characters on shows either type a lot of just barely. Like a character will say "let me search the database" hit 3 keys and say "well, I've tried everything I know!"
              Or conversely, like Chloe, will type for ages, fingers flying over the keyboard and then say something like "well, I put in her name and I couldn't come up with anything".
              But htat's why Chloe is such an awesome sidekick. She does things with a computer that only Oracle could manage! (kudos to anyone who got that!)

Comment

The strange thing that I noticed was Lana in the episode when she was typing. She was viewing footage of Lex in the Isis place and she was typing like crazy. Maybe it's the type of technology that she uses in her video cameras to view someone that she has to type an entire paragraph instead of using a mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by citizenlen
                  Actually, I was wondering what Allison was typing because there was nothing on the screen. no codes or anything but the desktop and the window for the money transfer.
                  Actually, in an interview Allison says she types her lines when she needs to do typing in the show.

Tom says he types his name over and over again...

ETA: oops, no spam beat me to posting that tidbit...

As for the typing, yeah that confuses me. I mean, there Chloe was, doing all this typing, but there were no text boxes up, no word processing documents...

Wouldn't clicks of a mouse have been more appropriate? But it doesn't surprise me. They clearly have no idea how to really use a computer on this show, they've had problems with that the entire series, Delete was a particularly bad example of this from the third season.

Comment

Originally posted by triplet
                    Wouldn't clicks of a mouse have been more appropriate? But it doesn't surprise me. They clearly have no idea how to really use a computer on this show, they've had problems with that the entire series, Delete was a particularly bad example of this from the third season.
                    Yeah...Delete.

Love your reviews, Trip.

Comment

In an interview Allison revealed that she actually types her lines in scenes where she is required to type. Apparently Tom just types his name over and over again.
                      Sounds like something his character would do.....

Comment

Originally posted by InLove_with_Chloe
                        Sounds like something his character would do.....
                        TW is internalizing his character's BDA-ness

----- Added 51 Seconds later -----

As for AM's techniques..... they toss her the verbal tongue twisters so i think typing the lines helps her remember?
                        Last edited by ShelbyKent; 02-10-2008, 11:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by ShelbyKent
                          TW is internalizing his character's BDA-ness

----- Added 51 Seconds later -----

As for AM's techniques..... they toss her the verbal tongue twisters so i think typing the lines helps her remember?

I was going to make a comment along those lines. No offense to TW, but he comes across in interviews as a pretty serious, boring guy.

Comment

I was going to make a comment along those lines. No offense to TW, but he comes across in interviews as a pretty serious, boring guy.
                            Ah, poor TW. The sense I've gotten is that he's incredibly funny, but he tries really hard not to show it, because he's afraid of things being taken out of context.

There's an incredibly hilarious interview out there with Kristen (from Eonline) where he talks about this practical joke he played on Jensen & Jared from "Supernatural". That makes me think that he's not as serious and boring as he likes to make himself out to be in most interviews.

Comment

How about the trick he apparently played on MR when he was directing 'Freak'? Something about replacing a bunch of papers with stuff not suitable to be discussed in an interview. MR talked about it once. TW sounds like fun.

Comment

Originally posted by borednow
                                How about the trick he apparently played on MR when he was directing 'Freak'? Something about replacing a bunch of papers with stuff not suitable to be discussed in an interview. MR talked about it once. TW sounds like fun.

What did he he replaced the papers with? Hot, naked Clex Fan made manips?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎