No announcement yet.

Chapter 2: Don't Look Back

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapter 2: Don't Look Back

The episode opens with the Petrelli brothers in the hospital after a recap of Peter’s leap off the building (which I should have mentioned in the last episode review, could have been put together a little better…the initial swoop in by Nathan looks hokey to say the least). Nice Adrian delivery: “You were a little wound up yesterday, but I thought you were just being ‘you’. ” In fact, Nathan and Peter’s entire discussion in the hospital is just plain fun to listen to. There are a couple actors who I wouldn’t mind listening to if they were just reading the phone book, and Adrian is one of them. (Lost’s Adewale Akinnouye-Agbaje is another. ) What a fantastic speaking voice, especially when hushed.

Cockroach tally: the exterminator/apartment tosser claims he’s there because of a cockroach infestation (3). (And for any Aussies reading this, that ‘tosser’ comment was not meant to be dirty. )

Hiro’s first few minutes in New York are priceless. The music is great, his catch-phrase English greetings to strangers on the street, and of course, the introduction of the 9th Wonders comic book. I’m a major potential comic book fan that was just never exposed to comic books, so I think that’s where my TV and movie love of science fiction comes from. I’m making up for lost pre-teen and adolescent time.

Claire’s batty little moment with the quarterback made me want to punch both of them, but I suppose that was the design. I love the idea of the cheerleader who is a closet freak… much more interesting than the mild mannered dorky reporter bit. Most superheroes have meek alter-egos, but one of my favorite things about this show is the heroes are popular cheerleaders, senators, and CEOs as well as the more Superman-Spiderman-traditional office worker, cop, or watchmaker.

I don’t like Eden. The character was a good idea in theory, and necessary, I understand, but especially her introductory scenes in this episode just feel… I dunno. Not on par with the rest of the show. She seems a little cheesy. “Papa Suresh”, her reaction to the news of Chandra’s death. . .

Damn, now I’m craving macaroni and cheese. :-)

I don’t think you can get any prettier than Hayden Panettiere. Speaking on behalf of all the ugly ducklings of the world who had to wait until college for puberty to hit, it’s just not fair that you’re this gorgeous at 17 years old, Hayden. By 25 I’m sure you’ll have taken over the world.

The helix. Heroes’ version of 4 8 15 16 23 42. It’s always interesting when it shows up, but until it’s completely explained to my satisfaction it’ll bug the hell out of me. We see it initially all over Isaac’s apartment, in his paintings, but there will be more to come… And really, I’m not sure it’ll ever be anything truly meaningful or insightful, I think it’s just for the purpose of “hey, look over here, this is a clue, this is important and cool!” Which most people work out by themselves anyway. It’s still a neat little icon, though. Everybody catch it in the numbers scrolling through Chandra’s computer program?

This episode also marks the introduction of Matt, Molly, Audrey, and—my personal favorite—Sylar. Although he’s not actually in the episode, everything set up about him tracks with his character later in the season, which is impressive, considering they hadn’t even cast the part yet. (I’m assuming this because the voice on the machine is obviously not Zachary Quinto. ) Plus, the freezing ability Sylar is shown to have in this episode isn’t revisited until much, much later in the season. Nice planning.

Matt bothers me a bit, but just in technical details. I love Greg, and I think he does the best he can with the part, but I just think the dyslexic cop bit is a little…cheesy, damn, now I’m really going to have to make some mac and cheese. But all kidding aside, there’s been a couple missteps as far as I’m concerned with the direction they took his character in early on. He straightens out for me by the end of season one.

And Adair Tishler, the little girl who plays Molly, is amazing. True, we see her for 3. 4 seconds in this episode, but good lord, sweetie, you’re fantastic. And again, I’m impressed with the forethought and continuity. We’ll come back to you later, cutie.

I don’t like Audrey. The blonde love child of Mulder and Scully just never played for me. Necessary, yes, but not as polished a character as the others in the series.

Peter flies! I like the scene between the brothers on the rooftop a lot, especially since for the savvy viewer, this was the introduction of what Peter’s power actually is—we watched him draw the rooftop float in the hospital. Most people I talked to after seeing this episode when it first aired thought that both of the brothers just had the power of flight. And is it just me, or is Nathan really shiny during this scene?

Bits and Pieces:

* I love the sacking of Claire on the football field.
    * Nice delivery: the way Angela doesn't change her tone or cadence or inflection when telling Peter "He committed suicide" twice in a row. Most actors would have changed it up a bit the second time, but I think it's more effective for the character (and much funnier) being exactly reproduced when repeated.
    * Why does Milo's mouth pull to the right? I'm part of the medical profession, and my anatomical curiosity is piqued. Anybody know the etiology?

Til next episode, or check out my website for more reviews!
    GoldenGait
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎