No announcement yet.

Distractions Episode Review

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distractions Episode Review

I enjoy Claude’s belittlement (did I just make that word up?) of Peter’s ability. Up until this point Peter’s seemed like the coolest character. Every time you ask a fan whose power they would want if they could have one, you have to add “other than Peter’s” because it’s such an obvious answer (be creative, people). The entire first scene of this episode is dedicated to squashing the idea of Peter being anything but an easily manipulated puppet with no brain or self-control. Way to slap around our hero, Claude. I like it. Peter’s trial-by-fire with the lady’s purse is hysterical.

Now, as much as I liked the cute opening scene with Peter and Claude, I was bouncing off the walls waiting to see what Sylar was going to do to HRG. Dismemberment? Evisceration? We left off with a short confrontation in Sylar’s cell as HRG finds the doctor’s body where he expects to find Sylar’s. I’m not sure how in a bare concrete cell Sylar managed to stay out of sight until HRG turns around. Where was he, hanging from the ceiling like Spiderman? I love how subtle Zachary makes Sylar’s movements when he uses his telekinesis. Most characters have dramatic arm swings and motions and flourishes (and Blotts) when they move things in other shows, but this (as Adrian credits Al Pacino with calling it) “conservation of movement” makes this villain seem very slick and much scarier. I do not, however, like the way Jack Coleman’s stunt double landed after being tossed into the window. Physics mandates that if you landed with your head to your right you would stay there—there’s no reason you would flip back over to your left. You didn’t hit anything to ricochet you back over there, and it just looks like a big, forced flop a la Anderson Varejao or Vlade Divac (basketball… anyone, anyone, Bueller?). I have zero problem with the rest of the scene, though. (I’m curious to know what that plastic plug-thingie that Sylar pulled out of his head was for, but that’s just me being a nit-picker and not an actual problem.) I love his little twist of the do-hickie, though, before he tosses it down at HRG: “That was for the haircut.” (Side note: apparently Milo was getting pretty fed up with the length of his own hair at this point in the season and was insanely jealous that they let Zachary get a nice short haircut while Milo had to continue to be emo-boy.) I like the symmetry between this scene and the earlier scene where HRG taunts Sylar and leaves him in the dark. Sylar’s condescending “You shouldn’t have built such a good cage,” was chilling, as was the creep-tastic swirl he gives to HRG’s ID as he holds it to the window. Great look over your shoulder as you leave, Zachary, and Jack, that’s an awesome scream. Most “Noooooo!”s are terrible, but this one is very well done. You stay manly-but-desperate, and it’s nowhere near as bad as one I’ll comment on in my review of 2x08 Four Months Ago. Yeah, you know what I’m talking about. Wait, I lied. I have one problem with this scene: HRG's drivers license has his name as just "BENNET". I've never been to Texas, but I'm pretty sure they put first names on IDs down there like the rest of the country. Who does he think he is? McLovin?

I’m not sold on the DisappointingSon!Hiro storyline in this episode. These scenes really bothered me upon first viewing, and it’s only in later episodes (2nd season) that they began to make a little more sense. But just taking 1x14 by itself… clunky storyline, writers, clunky storyline. The whole thing felt like we were on a treadmill biding our time until Hiro had something else to do. This didn’t advance the storyline at all. And it’s a cliché to have the Japanese father want his son to take over, even when his daughter is grossly more qualified (even if it still happens, it’s not like we need to play it up on television like this and harp on it for several scenes with poor Kimiko looking like she’s about to cry or puke in the corner). Although I really enjoyed finding out that Hiro is the Peter of his family: the rich man’s dark horse son, intent on doing what he thinks is right and special even if it means disobeying orders. Nice line: “You’re the one he trusts. He thinks I’m weird.” But the cartoon light bulb that goes on over Hiro’s head when Ando tells him that Kimiko is the smart one, and Hiro realizes the answer to all his troubles is having his sister take over… I’m sorry, but that was sloppy. It was gimmicky, it was obvious, and it was a waste of George Takei as an introduction. His character ends up being very interesting, and a perfect addition to the storyline, but this was a weak way to introduce him. It felt forced, while at the same time never even hinting there was any more to him than an obnoxious, over-traditional father. I’m going to give Heroes the benefit of the doubt and just assume they originally only wrote Kaito in for one episode, but that they decided to expand the character later. That’s the only explanation that wouldn’t leave me mad at them.

Sylar’s at the Bennet’s. You just know the fit is about to hit the shan. So creepy that he was just sitting in her bedroom. Zachary, I’m sure you’re a nice, sweet, approachable person in real life, but you play evil so well. (And Mr. Muggles… I’ve just got to say, you are a horrible judge of character. You’re not a good watchdog at all. Aren’t dogs supposed to sense evil?) The slight drawl Sylar affects when talking to Sandra is amusing. Another almost!moment comes with Sandra’s line: “I’ve always just known him as—stop that, you!” I guess we’ll have to wait another 9 episodes to find out Mr. Bennet’s first name. And nice continuity with the bald patch on the back of Sylar’s head where the implant was. Most shows won’t do that to an actor’s ‘do, and the character comes off as some kind of miracle gro chia pet with the ability to have perfect hair immediately after brain surgery or something.

I was very glad when Sandra finally started catching on to the fact that Sylar was not just a sweet delivery guy from Primatech. He was laying it on so thick I was starting to get bugged that this woman hadn’t gotten suspicious or weirded out by the whole situation. Poor Sandra. I feel so sorry for her that she’s been put at such a disadvantage by HRG with the multiple brain-wipes. How many times have you done this, dude? Leave the poor dotty woman alone! She’d probably be much better off and much safer with a little info in that hollowed out brain of hers.

Ooh, and the hero becomes just a little bit more jaded. Poor Peter. But we in ViewerLand knew all along this Simone chick was bad news for you. Move on. You’ve got bigger fish to fry, nurse boy. Time to stop getting the Scrooge tour from the Ghost of Christmas British and get on with the badass. I like that the ad on the cab he falls on says Samurai. And nice build of anger before the toss off the building, Milo. Nicely done, very smooth and believable. Nice line after, too: “Son of a *****.”

Bits and Pieces:

* Weepy Blonde Moment-of-the-Week is awarded to Ali this week for her Monkey Mozart scene in therapy. She’s good with that single-tear trick, too. Wheew.
    * Heavy handed reminder of the impending Nuclear New York storyline: when Niki sighs and says “it sounds like a bomb is about to go off” while she’s in therapy with Oprah and her Amazing Metronome.
    * Very odd medical too-much-information tidbit: check out Zachary’s right foot in his cell at Primatech. We call that a floating 5th toe with a varus rotation. Because I know you wanted to know. (I’m sorry, I just can’t turn off The Medical. The switch is broken.)
    * Ouch line: “You finally believe I can paint the future, and you want me to use it to find your new boyfriend.” Seriously, Simone, why don’t you twist the knife a little deeper?
    * Sneaking out to see your real mom… now Claire, don’t you remember how badly things went when you snuck out to Homecoming? I thought we learned our lesson. Next time you consider breaking the rules and sneaking somewhere, remember: Sylar’s going to attack someone you know. I hope it’s worth it.
    * I like that BeatUp!Guard is the one to come in and find Niki on the floor with Tasered!Oprah. I appreciate the continuity. And boy, did Jessica do a number on her. Poor Doc.
    * Nice Claude line: “…you see them for what they really are: selfish, deceitful, and gassy.”
    * I love the subtlety of the placement of Isaac’s paintings in this episode. There are a couple that exist in nothing more than a few background shots, never really referred to (like the one of the woman having her purse stolen by Peter and Claude), but make perfect sense when you’re paying attention and looking for them. This is not the type of show that feels the need to explain every one of the small things it gives you to look at.
    * Poor s*xually frustrated Ando, voicing opinions of Hiro’s “hot” sister, and slapping on cologne. He needs a girl, or a power. Something to use up this energy.
    * Love, love Claire’s line: “I always imagined my real parents would live in some penthouse in New York City, not some trailer park in Kermit.” Oh sweetie, just you wait.
    * Good casting with Claire’s bio-mom. I like her. And is it just me, or does she look pregnant to anyone else?
    * Problem with HRG’s rescue of his wife: Sylar gets shot, right? Does he get hit? Because he flies backward—he can’t fly, so I’m assuming it’s from the force of the bullets. But there’s another problem, he wouldn’t have flown back the way he did had he been shot, and afterwards he disappears so fast and easily that I have to assume he wasn’t hit. What happened there?
    * Yet another gross Paire moment: “I don’t have to cut her out, I have to remember her! How she made me feel!” Yes, and that feeling is technically illegal in this country for two separate reasons. Snap out of it.
    * I love Claude’s punch of FreakingOut!Peter. No pre-amble, obviously doesn’t feel too bad about it, but just does it because it needs to be done. I can just imagine what he’s thinking: “Stupid poodle.”
    * Oh, Isaac, you’re working for the devil, man. Careful. And now we know Claude’s been a player before! HRG has a history with him!
    * Jessica is getting much better at her Niki impression.
    * And the HolyCrapLionsTours! moment of the episode comes right at the end with Meredith’s phone call to Claire’s bio-dad… Didn’t see it coming, but wow, so perfect. So perfect. Nathan makes perfect and total sense as Claire’s bio-dad, and the only problem is the oft-afore-mentioned Paire issue. That aside, this was one of my total geek moments upon initial viewing that involved giddy laughter and some jumping and flailing if I remember correctly. These sorts of reactions are why I tend to watch my shows alone. ;-)
    * Non-Heroes related amusing video to explain the previous HolyCrapLionsTours! reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDYcW_tvSDw

Til next time, or check out my website for more reviews!
    GoldenGait
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎