No announcement yet.

Run! Episode Review

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run! Episode Review

It’s a miracle that Claire ended up as sweet and morally right as she did, considering her bio-parents. Nathan and Meredith could compete for biggest rat award on an Olympic level. Blackmail is not nice, sweetheart. And how easily her lie of $50,000 rather than $100,000 tumbles out of her mouth is disconcerting. Now, the only thing I see really wrong with this picture is the fact that Claire turns down the $25,000 being offered to her. Seriously? I know you think having a nice daddy who doesn’t ground you would be peachy keen and all, but… good lord, take the money!

After gradually hating Mr. Malsky a little more with each scene he appeared in in the last few episodes, you just know when Jessica gets his picture he’s going to get his. You are not long for this world, my friend. You’re not a series regular, you’re a bad guy, and Jessica wants to kill you. You’re as good as dead. And knowing Matt is the one who’s going to have to face off against Jessica made me a little nervous. This chick doesn’t take prisoners, and I don’t want Matt to be torn in half!

One major drawback to this episode for me was Hope. Ando only works for me as a glorified prop for Hiro. When they try to give him his own storyline, I’m bored immediately. James isn’t DeNiro, and Hope definitely bothered me. I know I said in my last review that Ando needed a girl, but I didn’t mean this one. This one is no good at all. Can we throw her back and pick again?

…Okay, since we can’t I’ll at least say I think it’s funny that she’s so much taller than Ando. Not high brow comedy, but funny nonetheless. I just still feel like the writers were coming up with really dumb ways to keep Hiro and Ando in limbo until the main storyline needed them again.

Zane Taylor! Even though we only have the character for one scene, I like him a lot. He seemed very thought out, and was a perfect way to advance the Sylar plot line and get him back into the thick of things, even more so than he was pre-capture. The only problem I have with this is how did Sylar know where to find this guy? Did he know Mohinder was on his way, too? (I don’t think so.) Did he have his name tucked away from his days working with Chandra? (I tend to go for this theory.) Did he bug Mohinder’s phone or something? He’s been in Texas for awhile now, and he just happens to show up at Zane’s place moments before Mohinder does?

Nasty line: “I’m this girl’s father, Ma.” “You’re a glorified sperm donor.” Ouch, Angela. But it’s interesting that she knows the whole story. I would love a bit of back story at some point on how Nathan and Meredith met and ended up having Claire. Something to think about for Volume 3 Villians, maybe? 3x04 Fifteen Years Ago!

It’s nice to see Matt get to be a badass and almost get to be the hero. What a good guy, trying to save Malsky, despite every clue pointing to the fact that he’s dirty. And this $2 million is just bad news. I’m starting to think that chunk of money is cursed—everything goes wrong when you steal it! I’m surprised the person who steals it doesn’t turn into the living dead revealed only by moonlight in the Caribbean.

I love the music changes while Jessica is in the elevator and we switch back and forth between her calm confidence and Matt and Malsky’s frantic panic. (Funniest Musak I’ve ever heard was in an elevator at Macy’s this Christmas: Britney’s Baby Hit Me One More Time.)

I very much enjoy the fact that Matt is able to outsmart Jessica in the stairwell, at least long enough to get a set of cuffs on her. Way to go, big guy. I love Ali’s delivery of “You heard Niki?” and the fact that since both girls converse with each other in one physical head Matt can hear them both. Nice detail. And I’ll admit I was pretty worried when Jessica tossed Matt out the window. I thought Greg was bound for a new show. Imagine my relief when he’s shown perched precariously on some signage on the building’s exterior, a la Scarlett and Ewan in The Island. Wheew.

One of the most skin-crawling elements of Sylar-as-Zane’s first scene with Mohinder is that Sylar is now wearing Zane’s clothes. This is just a couple steps up from Buffalo Bill’s girlskin suit. ::shudder:: Blunnnhhh. One problem I have with the scene is the view from Zane’s apartment looks a whole lot more like LA than VA. Maybe next time try for an apartment that doesn’t overlook a whole smattering of palm trees? I do like how well-read and intelligent they make Sylar. A smart villain, a cultured villain, is always more fun to watch, something like Kevin Spacey’s Lex Luthor. Mohinder hasn’t been in the room for more than a minute before Sylar-as-Zane starts quoting early 20th century psychologists: “Are you familiar with Abraham Maslow, the Peak Experience?” (Now you can be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow'...archy_of_needs) Zachary, good job on your delivery through this entire scene. You play “human” very well. People stutter, people pause, and when you play Sylar you make him seem like the words aren’t scripted, they’re just coming up in real conversation. Kudos. And a compliment to Sendhil on his expression at the very end of the scene, after Sylar’s “You wanna see it again?” Very cute.

Does the teapot actually start to whistle at exactly the right moment, or does Sylar use a power to get it going so he has a reason to leave the room and go into the kitchen? Which one of his powers would he be using to do that? Another problem with the Zane swabbing scene: Ethan Cohn moves when Zachary puts the swab into his mouth. Dead people don’t usually move. However, I forgive all of this because of Sylar-as-Zane’s nice timing coming back out of the kitchen and keeping Mohinder from finding Zane’s body, as well as his brilliant idea to accompany Mohinder to find the others with abilities. This is perfect for the storyline and both characters, and the cherry on the top of the scene is Zachary’s expression at the very end of the scene.

Bits and Pieces:

* Nice job Hayden: you break my heart when you hug Sandra from behind after she’s come home from the neurologist. Very poignant.
    * I love the details! In the shot of Hiro and Ando sneaking through the parking lot in Vegas on the way to Linderman’s hotel, you can see several recognizable strip landmarks behind them, including the Luxor. Very nice, post-production.
    * I was wondering when the first time Claire used the “you’re not my real father” line was going to be. You knew it was coming, even though it’s macaroni and cheesey as hell.
    * Love that Hope calls Hiro Sulu as she punches him. Nice reference, especially considering last week’s guest star.
    * I like that Claire hurls a rock at Nathan’s retreating car, and Adrian’s reaction to it was very good.
    * Nice timing on coming back out of the kitchen and keeping Mohinder from finding Zane’s body.
    * How many times did they make poor Masi run at that door? He must have had a big bruised shoulder by the end of that. But again, I like the Star Wars reference with his Vulcan greeting and “I come in peace.”
    * This is a show about ceilings. I’ll mention them later, but seriously, the directors all love pointing the camera up at the actors and filling half the background of the shot with ceiling. (There are even diamonds in this episode’s ceiling.) Most shows don’t choose this camera angle, and based on the horrendous pictures that have been taken of me from below the level of my head, I can understand why. It’s not usually a flattering vantage point.
    * I like that Matt isn’t a total boy scout and takes the diamonds for himself. Makes his character more interesting.
    * I never liked Pomeranians before this show, I always thought they looked like rats on Rogaine, but I think I might be starting to come around. Mr. Muggles looks so soft, like a cat-sized dog, and… he makes me want a Mr. Muggles of my own. Shh, don’t tell anyone. It’ll ruin my reputation.
    * Weepy Blonde Moment-of-the-Week goes to Hayden for her end scene holding Mr. Muggles. Although this isn’t fair, considering Ali plays Jessica for the entire episode and she’s not prone to weepiness.
    * Ooh, and now it’s Jessica v. Nathan, part 2. Except this time they won’t be naked and I bet there will be some kind of weapon involved. I’m in.

Til next time, and visit my website for more reviews!
    GoldenGait
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎