Collapse
No announcement yet.

is peter immortal now?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A toe growing back is one thing, but an entire body, complete with all organs, that's another thing altogether in my opinion. For one thing, where would all the matter/energy/whatever required to create another body come from, from only a head? Lol that's a lot of new and complicated cells to produce/replace from only a head to work with. (I'm not discounting the possibility, just saying that it's highly unlikely when you think about it.)
    Last edited by Xanderman; 11-10-2007, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Being immortal wouldn't be regeneration it would be even with his head cut off it would still be able to operate as its own living entity.

It wouldn't grow back but if he attached it back to his body it would heal.

As for cells, it can be argued, but again there is also programed cell death which is necessary within the body, there is also issues of metabolic energy.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsuncorp
        Claire and Adam do have the same abilities, and he may even be an ancestor of hers given how long he has lived. The point is though that his is a passive ability, only manifesting when his body is damaged by external forces or by time. This is why Peter is able to use that ability unconciously when he is on the brink of death and is also why he will live for hundreds of years if given the chance. As a side note, I may as well say here why I think that the injury to the back of the head "killed" Claire and Peter, it is because the glass or the wood damaged the brain stem causing all vital systems to shut down. The point is that they only stay shut down while the object is still in place causing the disruption, once it is removed the body is able to heal and come back to life. It is possible that if enough time passes there will be a point of no return but neither Peter nor Claire reached that poin t. Maybe Adam was being kept on ice with a spike in the back of his head for all the time he was in prison?
        I'm with you on this. prime example...wolverine. He has a healing factor just like Claire but because of that healing factor he has lived for a long time because his body keeps itself in its prime. Claire will probably stop physically aging when she reaches her physical prime too.

Comment

...this isn't x-men though...so really how can you compare it? There are plenty of other hero's with regenerative abilities...doesn't stop them from aging.

Comment

Originally posted by Mischael12
            ...this isn't x-men though...so really how can you compare it? There are plenty of other hero's with regenerative abilities...doesn't stop them from aging.
            X-men aside, if the assumption that Claire and Adam have the same ability is correct, then regeneration does indeed slow or stop aging, as proven by Kensei/Adam's living on for centuries.

It wouldn't grow back but if he attached it back to his body it would heal.
            Yeah if someone places the severed head back on the body, as long as too much time hasn't passed, it probably would reconnect and life would resume.
            Last edited by Xanderman; 11-11-2007, 11:43 AM.

Comment

thats if it is regeneration and not immortality.

Comment

Xanderman- "A toe growing back is one thing, but an entire body, complete with all organs, that's another thing altogether in my opinion. For one thing, where would all the matter/energy/whatever required to create another body come from, from only a head? Lol that's a lot of new and complicated cells to produce/replace from only a head to work with. (I'm not discounting the possibility, just saying that it's highly unlikely when you think about it.)"

As far as the plausibility of regenerating the entire body when detached from the head, and where all of the matter or energy would come from, are all of the powers that we encountered plausible by that criteria? Where does Nathan Petrelli get the energy to propel his mass through the air at incredible speeds, or Sylar get the energy to move masses with his mind, or, if we want to turn to matter,and not energy (even though modern physics suggests that they are similar through the E= mc^2 formula), how about Bob's ability to change the physical composition of any metal to that of gold? Although Chandra and Mohinder Suresh try to cryptically maintain a plausible scientific explanation for these phenomena, I think that we have to exercise an extreme amount of leniency to the explanation of these phenomena, if we are to just watch the show. I do not think it that much a stretch to say that Kensei's entire body would grow back if his head were cut off, considering the suspension of the imagination that the rest of the show has required.

As for the question of whether Kensei's power would allow for his head to be cut off, and then for his head to exist, detached, but still alive, although this would qualify as immortality, I doubt that this definition of immortality is what Kensei posseses. If Kensei's power was simply to maintain alive, he wouldn't rapidly regenerate after he was stabbed, but would simply subsist with those wounds remaining, unless they would have naturally healed by themselves. It seems that Kensei's sort of "immortality" (or regeneration, we are still uncertain of its precise definition), pertains more to the ability to maintain a static constitution, within certain boundaries. If his arm is lopped off, his power will allow him to regenerate it to return to his static state. If his power was the sort of "immortality" mentioned above, where the only criteria was life itself, he would simply lose his arm, but keep his life, the only thing that that limited definition of immortality would guarantee. It would seem, however, that if someone destroyed the part of him that allows him to return to that static state, his brain, then his power would cease to function, and he would die. Therefore, decapitating Kensei would not kill him, but destroying his brain completely would. However, there is another definition of Kensei's power, apart from simply living, or the ability to return to a defined state, that would make him completely impervious to any means to stop him, actual immortality. If we accepted that his power was actual immortality, it would have to imply that the means to that ability, the brain, was impossible to destroy.

Comment

Originally posted by Barogrei
                  As far as the plausibility of regenerating the entire body when detached from the head, and where all of the matter or energy would come from, are all of the powers that we encountered plausible by that criteria?
                  Lol, point noted.

I still doubt Claire's body would grow back from only her head, but that doesn't mean Claire shouldn't give it a try...lol

Comment

I take it you're not a Claire fan, lol. However, seeing as the nature of her power can regenerate a toe, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to regenerate the whole body, provided the source of its power was still intact (the brain).

Comment

THe best way to test i say is to lock him up in a chamber that is completely airless, and see if he can survive.

Comment

Did anyone here see Species 2? When the astronaut( the new species male) blew his own head off with a shotgun, it completely regenerated! The only thing that was different was his personalty took an extreme nosedive. I can't wait to see what the extent of damage occured after peter went nuke in tommorow's episode. I'm not to sure about the 'brain theory' anymore. Seeing that claire's limb replacement ability would theoreticly be simlar to the species character. Thus, the same for peter as well. When they said 'indestructable cheerleader', they meant it literally!

Comment

THe best way to test i say is to lock him up in a chamber that is completely airless, and see if he can survive.
                          He'll probably pass out for a while but he can be resuscitated. Is that coming back to life, I don't know...

Immortality is kind of like immunity to death but does that mean invincibility ? For example if I cut off his head, would it grow back ?

It probably wouldn't because powers are influenced by the brain. So say cut him from his chest downwards and separate his upper body from the lower part, would the lower body grow back ?

Originally posted by jazzylg
                          I can't wait to see what the extent of damage occured after peter went nuke in tommorow's episode.
                          Why do you think any damage occured ?

When Ted used his powers, he never suffered any injuries. Even in 'Company Man' where he was out of control he didn't suffer any injuries. I don't think Ted's power causes any harm to the user. That being said, a Peter without the ability to regenerate would be safe.
                          Last edited by kazek; 11-11-2007, 11:04 PM.

Comment

It wouldn't grow back, but if he was to be put on top of that part or have it reitach it would heal.

Comment

I would say that whatever Kensei's power it is now part of Peter - whether that is just regeneration on a massive level or being immortal - hurray - always gonna have my Peter around

Comment

Originally posted by Ginx
                                whether that is just regeneration on a massive level or being immortal - hurray - always gonna have my Peter around
                                Not necessarily, personally I think the power must be always on for the "forever young" thing to work. However Peter is different from the original power holders, he must activate powers to use them, through his emotions or something along those lines (or by simply being near the power holder). The way he accesses abilities is different from the way the original power holders do.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎