Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "S" or "8" Symbol: What's the difference?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "S" or "8" Symbol: What's the difference?

At the beginning of the episode Zor-El was wearing a necklace that had the figure 8 on it like Clark had on his chest when he ran away to metropolis. However, when Zor-El tried to erase Kara's memory of being on Earth he held the Superman S symbol. What the heck is going on? What does each one symbolize?

I think the Kryptonian letter '8' is the Human letter 'S'. Not sure why Zor-El would have both. Screw up.

Comment

"Kryptonian letter '8'"

ha ha.

Thats like saying the English number G

Comment

If you look at most comic-book renderings of that famous 'S' symbol from the house of El, it looks exactly like the number '8' within that diamond shape.

Comment

Originally posted by jessestuber
          "Kryptonian letter '8'"

ha ha.

Thats like saying the English number G
          I'm not sure if you're making fun of me or the way that sounded. But there is a manner in translating Kryptonian alphabet. Wow, I sound like a nerd. Seriously though. The Kryptonian symbol 8 incased within a diamond shape is the English letter S.

Here's an English/Kryptonian Transliteration Guide
          for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy.

Link =
          KRYPTONESE
          Last edited by litew8; 11-04-2007, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TesubCalle
            If you look at most comic-book renderings of that famous 'S' symbol from the house of El, it looks exactly like the number '8' within that diamond shape.
            It actually looks more like the S, and not the 8. That's how the S came to be. The Superman 8 isn't a recognized symbol across the globe, the s shield is.

Comment

Originally posted by HalJordan4184
              It actually looks more like the S, and not the 8. That's how the S came to be. The Superman 8 isn't a recognized symbol across the globe, the s shield is.
              I didn't get that lol Superman's 8?

Comment

Originally posted by HalJordan4184
                Sorry...perhaps I should clarify: I don't mean the logo we see on Supes' chest, I mean the written Kryptonian language. The character looks like an '8' within a diamond shape. Stylized, it becomes the 'S' shape with the red and yellow we all readily recognize.

Comment

Yes, in the comics made Kryptonian alphabet, the letter S is a pentagonal shield with an 8 in it. However, this came far after the S shield was first introduced.

Comment

The Symbol?!!

At the begining of Lara we see Zor-El wearing his necklace around his neck and it is the symbol that was branded on Clark's chest in Season 3 Episode 1.

So the theory might be right about Zor-El being Jor-El and trying to take controlof Clark's destiny for his (Zor-El) will.

Pretty cool man.

Comment

zor el and jor el are brothers so they would use the same symbol.

Comment

It's the House of El's symbol...

Comment

haha this post make me laugh! But it's good info to know and important to explain to fans who are unsure..

Comment

83kaL, I believe you're right that it's the House of El symbol, but if that's the case than what does the superman S represent if indeed the figure 8 inside the shield is the House of El reference?

Comment

^^It is most likely the symbol created by Jor-El for the member of the House of El that would turn out to be Naman, which turned out to be his own son. It's likely he knew it would be Clark because Kem-El, or whichever Kryptonian it was in the SV mythos who first visited Earth, who created the prophecy and the Starblade had to have seen the future. I'm guessing, he had a device that could see the future and knew Clark was the one who would be raised on Earth and that Lex would be his mortal enemy. It is even possible that he did this using the Eradicator if 1) The Eradicator ever appears on the show and 2) The Eradicator in the SV mythos is able to do this.

It's even possible that the first Kryptonian to visit Earth created that S symbol and passed it down the generations for it to be used by the chosen one (Kal-El) and prepared by his father (Jor-El) in the Phantom Zone and the S crystal.

These are very important questions that still haven't been answered officially. Yet another thing I covered in my fanfics because I see how important it is to the mythos of the show. There is still quite a bit to be told about the caves & the legend.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎