No announcement yet.

Holy crap, did anyone see that coming?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xanderman
    Lol, a dude in the effects thread said it was blue screen. Green screen is supposedly superior technology, but of course Heroes, being as popular world-wide as they keep telling us it is, clearly can't afford it.
    That clears that up a little bit, though it still looked like a cardboard cutout to me hahaha.

My main question is how Peter is using his past abilities without memories of the people he knew in the past, which to me, seems completely against season one's repeated teachings about the nature of how Peter's "empathic" based ability is supposed to work. Bad writing/inconsistent character development? I guess we'll find out.
    I don't think that's how his power worked, I think that's just how he learned to access his power, kind of like how Clark's heat vision went off on SV when he thought about sex, but once he learned to control it he could use it even after pulling his mind out of the gutter. I think the whole memory loss thing is a way for Peter to learn to control his abilities without having to remember every single person he came in contact with.

Comment

Originally posted by faz
      That clears that up a little bit, though it still looked like a cardboard cutout to me hahaha.

I don't think that's how his power worked, I think that's just how he learned to access his power, kind of like how Clark's heat vision went off on SV when he thought about sex, but once he learned to control it he could use it even after pulling his mind out of the gutter. I think the whole memory loss thing is a way for Peter to learn to control his abilities without having to remember every single person he came in contact with.
      That's cool and all and I don't have a problem with any of that, never did, my main issue has always been with the way they did things in season 1. Peter died 3 times, and each and every time he came back only with either Claire near to him or after he had thought specifically about how she made him feel. If someone else, other than Claire, had pulled the shard out of Peter's head and he revived, then I'd be much happier with his S2 character. However, they didn't do that, they instead stuck to the "rules". This 3rd death would have been a great time for Peter's abilities to work outside the pre-conceived rules. This is just poor character development.
      Last edited by Xanderman; 11-05-2007, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Ever cross your mind that him coming back after Claire pulled the shard out of his head had nothing to do with Claire being there, only that the shard was removed from his head? Claire's sole purpose that time was due to the fact that she had something similar happen to her and thus maybe thought he would come back as well once it was removed.

Comment

I think it's pretty much a given (and was intended by the show) that Claire's presence is what allowed him to heal after the power-interfering/brain-blocking shard was removed, especially given previous events in the season. If their intent was for Peter to truly heal the way Claire does, automatically, Claire wouldn't have been in the scene. They would have had someone else do it, to remove the possibility of it being the presence of Claire completely.

Comment

no, why would anyone even think to take the shard out. they didnt know what killed him specifically. if you rewatch it you'll see that claire at the back of his head to see of there is something there and than pulls it out. the others didnt even know that he could come back to life after he died so they didnt think to try anything but claire who was on the autopsie table knew she could so she assumed he could to. it didnt have anything to do with her presence just her knowledge.

Comment

Why? Seriously, the idea could simply have been that Claire knew that particular brain injury well, having suffered it herself. I beleive you are making far too many assumptions based solely on your own imaginings of what was going on, not on what was actually shown in the show. Besides, perhaps they wanted people to make the exact same assumptions you are, so that when they show Peters character (gasp!) growing in a different capacity, it will be interesting.

Comment

pycer am i making to big an assumtion that you are responding to Xanderman and not me? cuz we seem to be saying the same thing

Comment

Why go through all the trouble of creating a set of rules for how Peter the empath's powers apparently work only to abandon them completely the next season. If they wanted to start us on the path of seeing Peter grow and to accept the new and improved and virtually godlike S2 Peter, then they should have had Peter come back from the dead that 3rd time without Claire around at all.

Comment

I could come up with a mllion reasons why, though most of them would be pretty far-fetched, but then, you never know with this show. One reason I can think of is to show another stage in the development of Peter's ability. We've already seen that some of these abilities may be more than what they first seem (for example, the possibility that Parkman can project images into others minds like his father did). Nothing's certain yet on that front, but if that is the case, this just may be the next stage of the development of Peter's power.

Another explanation could possibly be that when Peter accesses his abilities this season its because he's feeling the same emotions that he felt when he accessed them last season. When he was angry and protective of Caitlin, he TK'd a few thugs around the pub, just as he'd done last season. When he teleported to the future, he probably felt utterly confused, a jumble of emotions as he had no idea what to do next, just as he probably felt when he met future Hiro last season.

These are just wild theories, I'm just letting my mind go over every possible explanation for this since I really don't know anything for sure. Plus I can come back here in a few weeks and say I was right if one of these turns out to be true lol.

Comment

Originally posted by flying_girl
                      pycer am i making to big an assumtion that you are responding to Xanderman and not me? cuz we seem to be saying the same thing
                      That would be a correct assumption, look at the times of our two posts, happened at the same time, you were just a wee bit faster than me.

And Xander, you are only assuming there was that set of rules in the first place, there are several instances within the first season itself wherein your 'set of rules' was shown to be incorrect as well.

Comment

Originally posted by faz
                        Another explanation could possibly be that when Peter accesses his abilities this season its because he's feeling the same emotions that he felt when he accessed them last season. When he was angry and protective of Caitlin, he TK'd a few thugs around the pub, just as he'd done last season. When he teleported to the future, he probably felt utterly confused, a jumble of emotions as he had no idea what to do next, just as he probably felt when he met future Hiro last season.
                        Your theories are solid and are similar to what others have presented before. I like the Hiro being connected with a "confused" emotion idea, lol that's new. According to this line of thinking, if Peter gets killed he shouldn't come back. Because there wouldn't be any "feelings/emotions" to trigger the power. This means that after the shard was pulled out last season, if it wasn't Claire that did it, he'd be dead (which is cool with me). Peter can only come back from the dead if he thinks about Claire just before death or if Claire is right next to him. I hope this is the case because it gives him limitations, and it also means that if he gets killed while he has amnesia, he will stay dead (adding an extra element of drama/danger to his scenes).

I didn't really like this theory when it was first brought up because I felt it to be too convenient, especially in relation to something like Claire's power -- if Peter associates feelings of pain/suffering/dying with her, and this triggers the power, it's cheap and makes healing thus basically automatic, just as with Claire. I feel it important that Peter must put extra effort into using other people's powers, and that they are not automatic or a direct extension of his will as they are with the original holders. Otherwise he would just be too powerful.

But can you connect the emotions with the original power holders for all the instances amnesiac Peter used abilities this season? Because that's the only way we can say for sure this theory is right...

Originally posted by pycer
                        And Xander, you are only assuming there was that set of rules in the first place, there are several instances within the first season itself wherein your 'set of rules' was shown to be incorrect as well.
                        I agree that the show itself has seemed inconsistent...yet in each of the three instances Peter revived from death last year, Claire was around or he thought about Claire first. They were consistent enough with that for it to leave a lasting impression on me as to how Peter's ability apparently works.
                        Last edited by Xanderman; 11-05-2007, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Again, an assumption you made, not information presented by tptb as truth. Theories are great, but when the source material itself proves your theories incorrect, it's time to move on man.

Comment

All three revivals last year involved Claire's presence or feelings about or in connection with Claire. That's not an assumption, it's reality. They remained consistent with this for some reason, if it doesn't have lasting significance then why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman According to this line of thinking, if Peter gets killed he shouldn't come back. Because there wouldn't be any "feelings/emotions" to trigger the power. This means that after the shard was pulled out last season, if it wasn't Claire that did it, he'd be dead (which is cool with me). Peter can only come back from the dead if he thinks about Claire just before death or if Claire is right next to him. I hope this is the case because it gives him limitations, and it also means that if he gets killed while he has amnesia, he will stay dead (adding an extra element of drama/danger to his scenes).
                              That's a good point, I didn't even think about that. It would reintroduce a dimension to Peter we haven't seen since the beginning of last season, that he isn't invincible and he has weaknesses. So unless he's feeling whatever emotion he felt when he met Claire right before he dies (which I can imagine would not be the case), he could very easily kick the bucket.

Either way, I'm pretty interested to see where they go with this Peter situation, hopefully it'll make sense relatively soon.

Comment

i'd call 2 bullets in the chest dead, especially if one is in the heart. so that blows your theory. as for feeling what he felt when he met people with powers, claude taught him how to use his powers without thinking about anything. peter was not the first empath that claude taught and claude told peter that his powers would work if he forgot about everyone, which is what peter did. forget about everyone who meant anything to him

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎