No announcement yet.

Chloe Creates Kara's Backstory?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Mod Edit]
    Last edited by STFanatic; 10-30-2007, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Maybe more info on her back story will come out in future episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
        I think that was a BS explanation making it Google proof. There's no way Lex hadn't been looking into her longer than that. He would know that what was written about her just appeared and wasn't there when he first checked.
        That's true. I didn't think of that.
        I was going to say "I hope they clear this up".. but then I thought of

*spoilers*

Mod Note: Be sure to post Spoilers only in the proper areas.

But then I remembered, Lex will fall, hit his head and forget everything within the past [x amount] of days..
        Last edited by STFanatic; 10-30-2007, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chantal
          Unless Chloe really did help with Lana's escape, then she had some experience forging a passport and other documents for Lana!
          That could be one of the other secrets Chloe is keeping from Clark, but who knows.

Also, you're right. Lex was researching Clark during seasons 2 and 3, had all of the information on him, yet there was no mention that he had a cousin; even if he did tell Lana that Lindsay Harrison was his cousin that day on the farm. I know it's hard for a show to keep it's continuity after so long, but they need to start looking back because at this point, yes Lex would know that anything written on Kara Kent was fabricated because it wasn't there when he went looking 4 years ago.
          Last edited by uhhuhhim; 10-30-2007, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uhhuhhim
            It really was. It's almost like they had her saying: "Oh, everybody uses Google to look up birth certificates, social security numbers, passports, and driver's licenses instead of going through the government." Yeah, because that's what so many people use Google for? Give me a break.

Not only that, but sometimes Smallville decides that something needs to have an ounce of believability, such as Jonathan and Martha going to Lionel so that he can have the fake documents created, but this time instead of doing something similar; something Chloe has never done [creating fake documents] in any other episode, they just call it "Google-proof," making the whole thing sound completely bogus.
            You pretty much wrote what I was too lazy to. That was the laziest piece of writing I have seen this season, or for a while. Some stuff was pretty lazy last year, but they helped with continuity. But this was lazy and lame. They went into such detail with Clark, only to give this assanine explanation for Kara. Better having Lex know she's an alien.

I was pretty much thinking "shut the f up" when I heard that line.
            Last edited by xrayvision; 10-30-2007, 09:11 PM.

Comment

I don't think Chloe has the ability to forge a birth certificate and a Social Security card.

Comment

^^I doubt it. I have yet to see where she learned how to hack and reverse engineer. They should have kept her as a reporter like she was since day 1. Back then, she had several contacts who did the hacking and reverse engineering and phone tapping for her.

It all comes down to lazy writing.

Comment

They should have kept her as a reporter like she was since day 1. Back then, she had several contacts who did the hacking and reverse engineering and phone tapping for her.
                  I agree with you. I didn't mind the first couple of "hacks" she did on her own, I thought it was interesting, but now we keep getting episodes where she can do anything without fail. Back then, you could believe that she had a contact that could do that stuff for her, but this whole "Watchtower" aspect of her character is starting to get entirely unbelievable.

Comment

Yeah. I like the original Chloe. The Chloe we have now is a tool to be used as lazy SV writer's plot device. I think they really messed her up in episodes like Mercy & Justice. I also didn't like how Clark had to resort to her for Lionel's Kryptonian writing in Oracle. I also don't like the bossy attitude they gave her in Arrival when she started barking orders at Clark. She practically taught him Superbreath, which I also hated. How can he not even discover his own power? He did that with all the rest. I could understand her helping him control it, but discovering it? C'mon! I want Chloe to be humble again. That's why we loved her back in the beginning. Because she was the hunble underdog who worked her butt off, yet needed help to get results (like a normal human). A great example of this is when JK gave her the teacup used by Lindsay Harrison in Covenant. She and Clark helped each other and complemented one another greatly. Lately Clark is dead weight and Chloe is blown out of her original intentions.

I think the hacking & BS mainly started in Mortal. I could believe how she was able to use the military device in Jinx, but after that, it got to be unbelievable.

I hope they don't do the same with Lois. I think that would be BS. I still wonder how she had that Luthorcorp badge made.
                    Last edited by xrayvision; 10-30-2007, 10:20 PM.

Comment

She practically taught him Superbreath, which I also hated. How can he not even discover his own power? He did that with all the rest. I could understand her helping him control it, but discovering it? C'mon! I
                      I think the hacking & BS mainly started in Mortal. I could believe how she was able to use the military device in Jinx, but after that, it got to be unbelievable.

A great example of their chemistry was in the 4th season's "Blank" when Chloe had to tell him his own secret. I thought that was nicely done. However, their scenes together now mainly consist of Clark running to her when he doesn't want to research anything on his own and she's left with all of this tongue-in-cheek dialog, which Chloe is famous for, but even that gets old.

I hope they don't do the same with Lois. I think that would be BS. I still wonder how she had that Luthorcorp badge made.
                      That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw it too. Where did she get it? These are little things people notice in a show like this. She had a fake badge, but they didn't address where it came from. Knowing the writers, they'd have some lousy excuse like: "I made it in the copy room at the Daily Planet."

Comment

Originally posted by uhhuhhim
                        They devoted an entire episode to Clark's adoption and how Martha and Jonathan had to keep it a secret with Lionel, but when it comes to Kara, it's just glossed over and minimized like it doesn't even matter.
                        Probably because Clark's adoption actually happened and impacted the lives of the Kents and others. The backstory of "Kara Kent" is entirely fictious. It doesn't impact Kara Zor-El as a character. It didn't mold her. Kara Zor-El's life on Krypton did. I mean, honestly, if they said that her "parents" names were Harry and Sarah Kent, it wouldn't mean anything. They're not her parents. Might not even be real people. Even if they were, they didn't raise Kara. She's never met them. So, they'd devote time towards fleshing out a fictional backstory... That offers no insight into Kara Zor-El as a person. Harry and Sarah Kent aren't her parents. She neither grew up, nor even been to the state of Minnesota.

It should also be noted that the "Kara Kent" identity wasn't a very long-lived one. She acquired it in "Fierce", ran away in "Cure" and then returned in "Lara" (might not have used it inbetween). Was "Kara Kent" from "Lara" to "Blue", where she looses her memories and is teleported to Detriot. From the end of "Blue" to "Fracture", she's "Linda" (last name unknown), for months. She was "Kara Kent" from "Fracture" to "Veritas", when she left Earth with Brainiac. Afterwards, Kara is trapped in the Phantom Zone, while Brainiac assumes her identity between "Apocalypse" and "Arctic". Apart from her interactions with Lois (who knew her as Clark's cousin, Kara, but she does not go by "Kara Kent" in remaining appearances), in "Bloodline" (which ends with her leaving Earth for two years, during which, she obviously didn't live as "Kara Kent") and "Supergirl", Kara is never showed to re-assuming the identity of "Kara Kent". At the end of "Supergirl", she's showed to have acquired a disguise, which Kelly Sounders called an homeage to her Linda Danvers identity from the comics in an interview... But, no word if Kara still lives as "Kara Kent" or if she's assumed a new identity (likely "Linda Danvers"). We don't know who she lived as (if she even kept up a civilian identity) until her next appearance in "Prophecy" (by which time, she's been trapped in that cave for weeks), which ends with her going into the future. She re-appears six months later in "Argo", eventually returning to the 21st Century... However, there are no details about her life revealed (where does she live? Who does she live as (assuming she's even got a secret identity)?). Though, given Sounders' statement about the "Linda Danvers" identity, it wouldn't surprise me if she was now "Linda Danvers".

So, I'm glad that they didn't flesh out Kara's fake backstory. Not only was it fake, but it was part of an identity that she only used for shorter stints between "Fierce"-"Cure", "Lara"-"Blue", "Fracture"-"Veritas". Even if you put all that time together, she was probably "Linda" (in Detriot) longer than she ever was "Kara Kent". Why waste time on exposition about a fake backstory, for an identity that Kara by all account stopped using ten episodes after this (having gone longer periods, inbetween, without it)? One that might always have been intended to be a temporary identity (with her, eventually, acquiring a new human identity). Heck, her time as "Linda" (last name unknown) makes it possible that she would've eventually developed in that way, by the writers (had the season not been hijacked by the strike).
                        Last edited by jon-el87; 09-14-2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎