No announcement yet.

Chloe's "white trash" comment

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ginnyfan
    I thought it was tacky but... no big deal. Boy am I glad Lois Lane didn't say it. There'd be about 12,000 threads about it. LOL!
    When Lois said "That's so retarded" (to Clark's comment "Sometimes we hide things from the ones we love most") I thought that was way more offensive.

I never saw anything said about that though.

Comment

There was actually a thread dealing with that as an offensive statement HeddyH.

Comment

These characters are written, so if these lines are offensive it is the writer's fault...something they should take into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
          "Vapid eye candy" would mean relatively harmless ditsy girls known only for their looks. "White trash burglars" would be low class thieves using their powers just to make a buck.
          That's exactly my point. The phrase "low class" would have been a more racially-correct way to get the same point across.
          The writers are starting to write scripts that are a little too soap-opera-ish for my taste, IMO.

Originally posted by HeddyH
          When Lois said "That's so retarded" (to Clark's comment "Sometimes we hide things from the ones we love most") I thought that was way more offensive.

Actually, I was offended when Lois made that comment too.
          It is completely a Lois-type of comment, but it just doesn't set a good example for anyone. It leaves a bad taste of negative connotation in the mouths of people, who would watch the show, hear her comment, then act out those same insensitive sentiments later when they come in contact with a mentally-retarded person.
          Last edited by Kalerado; 10-13-2007, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Chloe's "white trash" comment

But, if you know that you're not white trash, then who cares? They're just words!

Comment

Originally posted by chantal
              I don't think she was using the term in it's original meaning of poor, white, southerners. I think she was referring to the Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Lindsay Lohan, Brittany Spears types with too much money and not enough class. They're rich, (and rich society is white society no matter what color you are) and they're trash.

Kind of the American equivalent of Euro Trash. Ameri Trash?
              Sounds about right. But I was thinking more like what they try to steal. They aren't going after the crown jewels or a pricless diomond their take record was kind of lame for their abilities.

Originally posted by Kalerado
              That's exactly my point. The phrase "low class" would have been a more racially-correct way to get the same point across.
              The writers are starting to write scripts that are a little too soap-opera-ish for my taste, IMO.

Actually, I was offended when Lois made that comment too.
              It is completely a Lois-type of comment, but it just doesn't set a good example for anyone. It leaves a bad taste of negative connotation in the mouths of people, who would watch the show, hear her comment, then act out those same insensitive sentiments later when they come in contact with a mentally-retarded person.
              But it's cool to see a character that's not bound by the fascism of the PC police.
              Last edited by Radioflyer; 10-13-2007, 11:05 PM.

Comment

It's not the term so much; it's in what context did she use it.

Am I the only one who sees something WRONG with that?!?
                I'm not trying to be offensive, or funny but, I'm confused. What exactly did you find offensive about it?

II thought it was a great way to point out that because the 3 girls are beautiful and appearently rich - nobody would suspect them. And sadly - that's true.

Originally posted by HeddyH

I agree. That was rather rude.

Comment

Originally posted by chantal
                  I don't think she was using the term in it's original meaning of poor, white, southerners. I think she was referring to the Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Lindsay Lohan, Brittany Spears types with too much money and not enough class. They're rich, (and rich society is white society no matter what color you are) and they're trash.

Kind of the American equivalent of Euro Trash. Ameri Trash?
                  OK. I stand corrected. I get it. The terms "poor White trash" and "White trash" hold different, but related definitions and have historically differing bases (basis).
                  My thread was initiated based on the phrase "poor White trash" instead of just "White trash".

Well... as they say in chess, "I adjust"
                  Last edited by Kalerado; 10-14-2007, 09:08 AM.

Comment

For a family rated show, the term “white trash” was out of place. Describing the women with that term showed narrow-mindedness on their part. IMO, the writers need to refrain from any type of derogatory statements like that. If they were to say something insulting against the African –American woman everyone would have been pissed. You can’t have a double standard when it comes to bias statements. It needs to be kept out of a family show, no matter in what context or slang it was in reference to.
                    Last edited by Saber; 10-14-2007, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saber
                      For a family rated show, the term “white trash” was out of place. Describing the women with that term showed narrow-mindedness on their part. IMO, the writers need to refrain from any type of derogatory statements like that. If they were to say something insulting against the African –American woman everyone would have been pissed. You can’t have a double standard when it comes to bias statements. It needs to be kept out of a family show, no matter in what context or slang it was in reference to.
                      Ditto. The episode was a latent image of what it could have been. My bet it was rushed into production.

Comment

According to what I've been reading, studios have been rushing to get scripts stockpiled before the probable writers strike of Nov. 1st. That might explain the incoherent nature of the first three shows. They just haven't spent as much time polishing the scripts as they would have in other years.

Comment

Yeah... bad taste on the part of the writers. Both the "white trash" and the "retarded" but I was more jolted by the "white trash" than the "retarded" statement from Lois.

My sister was very offended by "retarded" though. Especially since the show dealt with someone who had brain damage... Gross.

Comment

RIGHT. because it's very rare now adays for family rated shows to use any type of derogatory comments. They all just wander around hugging each other, and saying nice things.

Comment

Thanks for commenting.
                              Saber, RadioFlyer, ginnyfan, ClarksNextGF, I agree with you all.
                              I'm posting another thread in "General Smallville Discussion" that relates to this topic:

The KryptonSite/KSiteTV forums are a place originally created to discuss the WB/CW series Smallville which expanded to cover all kinds of TV, movies, and more!

Comment

It's not the term so much; it's in what context did she use it.

And since when did people start classifying stunningly beautiful, African-American supermodels, like Eva Marcille Pigford, as "White trash"??

WTF?!?

Am I the only one who sees something WRONG with that?!?
                                I agree completely!! you're not wrong, I think it was border line offensive. I'm color-blind.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎