Smallville Books/Novels

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a brief mention in "Silence" by Lex that he dated the doctor (in Vortex) that recommended not doing the sugery (or whatever it was.) IIRC, both the doctors were men. Did anyone else catch that?

Comment

the last one i read was "shadows". it was a pretty good story. guess i should pre-order the next books coming out on amazon.

Comment

Smallville Books/Novels

made a sticky thread

Comment

Oh, this is awesome that it's a sticky thread - thanks Disco Now we can review when we finish reading and we won't have to hunt for the thread

Comment

I just finished Temptation. It was a good book, but it was a lot like 'Red.' Clark exposes himself to RedK and flirts with Lana and Chloe and almost kills someone. The ending is also similar to 'Red' with Pete, Jonathan, and Martha trying to get the RedK away from Clark. So, fun to read but not exactly anything new except a new FoTW!

Comment

i love the books (and i would have all of them if my local waldenbooks had them all!) even my Avatar is from the cover of DRAGON and i loved Runaway :coughcough: (partly b/c they mentioned clark in the daily planet ) but it does sort of confuse me cause their storylines are sort of different...

Comment

I prefer the thick adult novels to the smaller, YA ones. The YA novels strike me as bad fan fiction (maybe because I read so much good fan fiction!) and the most recent one I read called "Tempation" was horribly written. Then again, I usually finish the YA novles in an hour or less, so that might have something to do with it

The adult novels are much longer, have better plots, great characterization, and if you can live iwith the cotinuity errors, you've got it made. They read more like novels and less like the average or worse fan fiction, and the ideas are orginal enough that you don't start reminising about an episode of the show. The time lines can get funky on both, but you let go of that, its cool.

Reading them, I can't help but crave for some of my favorite fan fiction authors to write for this company. They could come up with better stories than the shorter YA series! But the plots are also more limited because nothing major can happen to the characters that would mess with the continutiy of the show, eliminating the situations fan fiction writers most frequently draw upon to get their fans drawn in. Overall, the adult sereies is well done.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Comment

Originally posted by I8dask8s4lunch
                  Reading them, I can't help but crave for some of my favorite fan fiction authors to write for this company. They could come up with better stories than the shorter YA series!
                  Totally agree!! Wish they'd give some K-site writers an opportunity to write!

Comment

i've only read "Strange Visitors", because i'm having trouble finding the whole adult series here in Singapore...from what i've read about "Whodunnit" in the Smallville comic bk series, it seems pretty interesting! maybe i'll make a trip to the library and see if i can find any SV novels.

Comment

Originally posted by I8dask8s4lunch
                      I prefer the thick adult novels to the smaller, YA ones. The YA novels strike me as bad fan fiction (maybe because I read so much good fan fiction!) and the most recent one I read called "Tempation" was horribly written. Then again, I usually finish the YA novles in an hour or less, so that might have something to do with it

The adult novels are much longer, have better plots, great characterization, and if you can live iwith the cotinuity errors, you've got it made. They read more like novels and less like the average or worse fan fiction, and the ideas are orginal enough that you don't start reminising about an episode of the show. The time lines can get funky on both, but you let go of that, its cool.

Reading them, I can't help but crave for some of my favorite fan fiction authors to write for this company. They could come up with better stories than the shorter YA series! But the plots are also more limited because nothing major can happen to the characters that would mess with the continutiy of the show, eliminating the situations fan fiction writers most frequently draw upon to get their fans drawn in. Overall, the adult sereies is well done.
                      I beg to differ, and keep in mind that I'm a completely different person with a seperate opinion that should in no way conflict with anyone else's, but I find the YA series better than the adult series.

I'll add to the faults that both series of books have: they tend to tell us events of episodes over and over again so they can drill into our heads where in continuity it takes place. This is an especially persistant problem in the YA series, but the earlier books of the adult series was not spared either.

Conitinuty among the books is even rarer than continuity to the show. I remember only two examples of continuity among the books: 1) in "Silence" when Clark is reminiscing about the events of "Hauntings", the author's first Smallville novel and 2) in "Flight" when Lex reminds Clark that he helped him accurately portray Cyrano which had happened in the previous book.

There are more problems with the adult series than the continuity issues. With the exception of Alan Grant and Nancy Holder, the authors tend to do one book and then find some other project. Neither Nancy nor Alan did very good jobs on their first tries and improved only somewhat on their second attempts. Nancy is a horror-fiction writer and sees the setting of a small farm town as an excellent target for death and macabre and whatnot. Problem is, Smallville isn't that type of town. She wrote about spirits being reawakened by kryptonite, and even that's a tad bit more farfetched than kryptonite fuel.

In "Silence", she had Clark travel to Haiti to find a cure for zombies that were running amock in Smallville, and one of them was Pete. This brings me to another problem with the adult series: they tend to not do much explaining about the aftermath. Nancy gave a throwaway reason as to why Lionel didn't simply let Pete die or even explain at what point he got treated for the cure. In "Shadows", the story ends with (literally) another destroyed tractor. No aftermath after the climax: just the ending.

As a personal complaint, I find the adult novels boring anyway.

The YA series is also a cluster of writers, but three authors actively continue writing the stories: writing team Cherie Bennett and Jeff Gottesfeld (who also wrote the episode "Jitters") and Suzan Colón. Jeff and Cherie are clearly the better authors, but since "Flight", they haven't been doing so well to meet their standard. "Greed" was an admirable attempt and the back of the book put Pete in the limelight. Unfortunately, the book isn't as Pete-devoted as it makes it seem, but he is used as often as possible without being overused. The Lana is cut back and so is Chloe, leaving Clark as the same main character rescuing the day.

Suzan has written three books: "Buried Secrets", "Runaway," and "Temptation". All of them resemble an episode and thus it will turn off most readers ("B. Secrets" = "Heat", "Runaway" = "Exile", "Temptation" = every episode where Lana meets someone new), but they are handled in a way that still makes it fresh. "Runaway" is her best story, in my opinion, but I do agree that "Temptation" was disappointing, especially since she clearly wanted to use red kryptonite very badly (you can tell from her many refrences to "Red" in "Runaway").

The YA books are short, yes, but they tell a story in the 175 pages without overloading us with thoughts and recaps. The characters are more accurately portrayed in the YA books than in the adult novels. Lastly, Jeff and Cherie's books in particular can make you walk away with a warm, fuzzy feeling or something similar to the truly inspiring effect from "Flight". They tell you a lesson.

To each his/her own opinion but marketing-wise, the adult books are a better deal. I'm still puzzled over why I pay the same price for a flimsy little book (averaging around 180 pages) as the novels (anywhere between 200 and 300 pages with smaller print).

Comment

j03superbat, I agree to each their own. The adult books leans much more to the type of story I like to read and I love the supernatural, so those kinds of plot lines don't bother me. I agree about the falling action and resolution problems in some of the books, but I can't help but feel like the YA books just let the story happen to fast. I prefer character insight and thoughts, and you just don't get that as much in the YA books. I have read a couple of them though and agree that runaway is the best of those I've read.

Comment

Oh thank goodness someone read my post. I was afraid I had wasted fifteen minutes. Not that I wouldn't find some other way to waste them if I got them back.

Comment

LOL hey I read it j03 and I completely agree!

Comment

Thick book series: Strange Visitor, Dragon, Hauntings, Whodunnit, Shadows, Silence, Curse

Here are my ratings for these books on a scale of 1-10...

1. Strange Visitor 5
                              2. Dragon 1
                              3. Hauntings 7
                              4. Whodunnit 8.5
                              5. Shadows cant remember what this one is about!
                              5. Silence 3.5
                              6. Curse 8.5-9

Hope this helps!!!

Comment

Man, i wish i could get these books where i live... so far i have strange visitors, dragon, hauntings and whodunnit in the adult series and arrival, see no evil, speed and flight in the child series

i have to wait till i have money, till i can get to another town and buy them, and till they come out in this country... it sucks

so far i liked hauntings the most and whodunnit the least... i just found the whole plot kinda yawnworthy

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎