No announcement yet.

Season 2: The road so far...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season 2: The road so far...

Season 2 has been pretty subpar so far, a big step down from where this show was at a year ago in my opinion. Weaker writing, predictable plotlines and outright lameness sadly seem to be the story of Heroes' sophomore season. It's not all bad, but a lot of it definitely is. I know the show can be better, it's frustrating to watch it implode on itself...

A look at the good and the bad so far:

Peter's return
    - great that he's back, his character and stories are always watchable. But on a character consistency note, how is he using past powers without memory? I thought they had established in season 1 he had to either be near the person or think about the person to use their abilities. Yet he healed and also phased, plus other stuff no doubt. What's the deal with that? I admit there were times in season one where I thought Peter had in fact used abilities without these requirements, like his fall from the roof when Claude pushed him. However after seeing the episode again, Peter said he had a "flash of Claire" right before he landed, thus accounting for how he auto-revived from that death. So what's their excuse this season? Why go through all the trouble of developing these "rules" for how Peter's powers work only to completely abandon them now. Why give him amnesia if not to take advantage of these rules, like by making him powerless or something. His past powers (before the amnesia) should be gone, that would be far more interesting, and consistent. (It's kind of a cheat to change the rules on us after they spent an entire season shoving them down our throats.)

The Mexican twins
    - am I the only one who's totally had their fill of Maya already? She's constantly terrified, constantly whining, constantly annoying. Worst character ever? On Heroes, hell yes. I really hope Sylar gets her, the sooner the better. Huge thumbs down on the Mexican twins. Not sure if it's bad writing, bad directing or just bad casting, but I do know that I can't be the only one that completely hates these awful, awful characters. lol

Hiro's adventure in time
    - what an incredibly lame and predictable story. Where's the edge? That's right, it's non-existent. All I gotta say is that kids must really love Hiro and his wonderful adventures in time.

Claire and company
    - Claire's character and stories have become formulaic it seems. They paired her with that gay kid in S1, and this season with an actual Peter Pan (the flying kid). Claire's abusing herself once again, surprise surprise, testing her body and stuff, nothing special there. Not sure where they're heading with this new arc but so far it hasn't felt very original or clever. Just mediocre and dry.

Mohinder's story
    - the geeky Midas touch guy thinks he's cool or something, making him extremely annoying. I liked what they did with the Haitian, the memory wipe from Mohinder's POV was very well done. Mohinder's a good character played by a solid actor so he's a keeper.

Symbols on photos, old people being targetted, the adventures of Ma Patrelli and company
    - not an interesting arc at all, not for me anyway. Is this the best they could come up with?

Matt & Molly
    - Matt's a great character with an always-entertaining ability, pairing him with Molly is a definite thumbs up.

Nathan
    - Nathan is Moses now (enough said). Seriously what's the deal with that beard, is he planning on entering a Grizzly Bear beauty contest or something? Nathan's self-destruction hasn't been fully accounted for yet, we're missing something big. Believing that Peter died in the explosion surely on its own can't be enough to back what's happened to his character.

Well I think that's it. I hope Heroes wakes up from its nap sometime soon.
    I'll try and continue to "blog" my thoughts on the season as it progresses. Will Heroes improve? Only time, and my blogs, can tell....
    Last edited by Xanderman; 10-03-2007, 12:12 AM.

Season 2 has been just as slow to start as Season 1 was. People just forget how long it took to build up to the "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" arc that rocketed the show into high-gear last year.

Comment

The start was slow last year, true, but it had the "magic of discovery" thing going for it, if you will, that usually comes from seeing and learning about new characters for the first time. You know, origin story stuff and the like that helps make first movies in a series often better than the sequels. But where's the magic this year, Matt? Where's the magic?

Well anyhow, I hope you're right about the show kicking it into high gear eventually.
      Last edited by Xanderman; 10-04-2007, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎