No announcement yet.

Regeneration - Smallville/Doctor Who crossover

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 8

The door bore the legend “Central Control”. As it slid open, Lex took in the familiar scene: large darkened room, huge video screens on the walls displaying various computer-generated schematics of human bodies, clusters of desks at which men in white coats studied LCD monitors and tapped away at keyboards. He had never been in this particular room before, but he had seen many like it at other Luthorcorp facilities. It had never been planned, but 33.1 had acquired its own design aesthetic, one that was repeated throughout Lex’s secret empire.

“Ah, Mr Luthor, you deign to join us!” Lex turned to see Professor Rothman standing beside him. He was, as always, clad in an immaculately tailored suit, and seemed unconcerned that Lex might be offended by his words.

“My wife reminded me that I decide my schedule, not the people who work for me,” Lex replied smoothly. He surveyed the room. “I see dead people, Professor.”

Amongst the humans were several figures in Luthorcorp-branded overalls – moving plastic mannequins. Their arms and legs could move, as could their fingers and their heads could swivel and tilt. But their faces were fixed masks, utterly expressionless. They had no voices. As they went about their various tasks, they were animate, yet utterly lifeless. Dead people.

“I didn’t think that you, of all people, would stoop to calling D84s ‘dead people’.” Rothman made no attempt to hide his irritation. “I should point out that I was forced to take disciplinary measures against the employee who first used the term. He won’t make that mistake again.”

“Is that a threat, Professor Rothman?” Lex sounded faintly amused.

“Just an observation,” Rothman smiled back.

“So, why are there D84s working in here? The DARPA evaluation team are expecting a demonstration in seventeen days. I would expect to see the prototypes under test, not fetching drinks.”

“Mr Luthor, if you actually read the updates that your private office insist we provide, you would know that we were unable to bond the samples provided to the first batch of D84 prototypes. Since they are not combat-capable, I decided that it would be better to use them as support staff. If nothing else, they keep their mouths shut.”

“The AUTON contract is worth five billion dollars,” Lex snapped. “Luthorcorp does not lose five billion dollar contracts – not on my watch!”

“And the DARPA team will see a demonstration of six D84s, fully compliant with the AUTON specification,” Rothman reassured him. “That batch is currently under test, and meeting or exceeding all requirements. In six months, we’ll have production D84s in stores all over the United States. Anti-terrorist units in shop windows across the country, and no-one will realise that they are there. Homeland Security won’t believe how they ever did without them. Imagine if a terrorist tries to blow up a shopping mall, and a D84 stops him. Even the President will be beating down your door.”

Lex thought about this, but he had other fish to fry. “What about ‘Minuteman’?”

“The news there is that we have got a lot of useful material from…what did you call him?”

“Titan.”

“Pity we couldn’t get him alive,” Rothman remarked. “Still, analysis of the corpse has enabled us to advance Minuteman quite substantially. The first prototypes will be ready in a few weeks.”

“Alien technology used in the fight against aliens,” Lex whispered thoughtfully. “Professor, as long as the D84s are ready for the DARPA presentation, divert all other resources to Minuteman. Our politicians may believe that the greatest threat to our country comes from international terrorism, but we know better. We need our defences to be ready when the true enemies of humanity make their next attack.”

“Absolutely,” Rothman stared straight into Lex’s eyes. “So many would dismiss what we are doing here as based on paranoid delusions. To have the backing of someone who understands the truth is so important.”

“And you have all the resources that you need?”

“Further samples from your test subjects would be helpful. And our stock of meteor rocks will soon be exhausted.”

“I’ll speak to the relevant areas. What about your supply of raw material?”

“My source has been able to satisfy our needs so far. I don’t anticipate any problems in that area,” Rothman confirmed.

“Then I shall leave you to your work,” Lex replied. He started towards the door, then stopped, and added as an afterthought, “I will expect to be kept fully informed of progress though. So those updates that my private office demand, make sure you provide them.” So saying, he strode purposefully out of the room.

Rothman watched Lex leave. It amused him to think that Lex had bought that line about understanding the truth. What did they say in that movie? You can’t handle the truth! Well, of course he couldn’t. In his own way, he was even more stupid than Titan.

Titan, Titan! Rothman still could not believe the sheer ingratitude of the Dexosi. He had made an arrangement with the creature that was to their mutual benefit. Titan got to indulge his love of fighting, and Rothman obtained valuable information about his capabilities, as well as those of his opponents. Why Titan had to betray him like that was something that Rothman found incomprehensible. The creature was not born of the Earth, but he was here. As such, he had the same purpose as every other creature on this miserable planet – to serve Rothman’s grand design. Of course, Titan had paid the ultimate price for his betrayal, but that was only as it should be. It was curious that he had managed to fall on his own spike whilst apparently fighting a human female, but no matter. He had still made his contribution to the plan, and the plan was advancing.

Rothman looked around the room, noting each of the scientists as they worked.

I see dead people.

--------------------------------

End of Chapter 8

Comment

Autons!

Fantastic, so sayeth a famous Doctor.

Please don't get writer's block nb!

Any plans to work what's revealed in season seven into this story?

Of course you can't have it take place in season seven since this takes place in season six after the episode Combat but you know what I mean.

-cs™

Comment

Actually, they are AUTONs - or more accurately, A.U.T.O.N.s (this time around, the name is an acronym - which will be explained at some point) - nothing to do with the Nestene Consciousness. Since the Doctor Who episode "Rose" revived the Autons simply as "shop-window dummies" (the word "Auton" is never used by any character), and as I fancied the idea that part of 33.1 would have developed Auton-like mannequins as weapons, I decided to find an excuse to use the old name. However, at the moment, these are still "D84"s (named after one of the androids in "The Robots of Death"), because Luthorcorp hasn't won the contract.

It is highly unlikely that I will use elements of season 7 in this story. Basically, this is the story of The Doctor coming to Smallville, and how knowing him affects the lives of Clark, Lois and Chloe. I have always had a fairly clear idea of where I want the characters to be at the end of the story. I also knew that I needed a plot that followed the "Doctor Who" pattern of "The Doctor and a few friends save the world", and I could see a way of adjusting Lex's 33.1 plans to create such a plot. Putting in elements like Bizarro and Supergirl would simply get in the way of what I want to do.

As for "writer's block", I now have a reasonably good idea of how I want to proceed. The devil is in the detail. I'll come up with an idea for a scene, then realise that I should have mentioned something in an earlier chapter, so I have to go back and amend that. Then, having sorted that out, I realise that it means that a character will behave in a way that won't make sense later, so that has to be fixed. So, I will be doing a fair amount of writing and re-writing before posting anything further.

Comment

In your story is Chloe meteor infected?

Comment

Er...yeah.

I know, I know. This is a fanfic. We don't have to go along with tptb and their stupid idea to turn Chloe into a meteor freak with a lame power!

However, apart from keeping with existing continuity (after all these events are supposed to take place a few weeks after Chloe was 'outed' in "Freak"), Chloe being meteor-infected does play a vital part in the story. All I will say at this stage is that this story does not involve her crying healing tears or "dying" or winding up in a morgue.

I'm a bit nervous about discussing this, since I know that there may be Chloe fans who will simply say "he's made Chloe a meteor freak - I'm not reading any more of this fic!" Since it is a vital part of the plot, I cannot really explain the approach that I am taking to Chloe's meteor infection, and I have got a fair bit of the story to tell before it even gets mentioned. So, I am asking readers to take it on trust that everything will work out for the best.

Comment

I will keep reading this story, it looks good. Hope to read more soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Chlollie
                I will keep reading this story, it looks good. Hope to read more soon.
                Thanks.

Sorry if my previous post seemed a little over sensitive. It's just that I know the whole "Chloe's meteor power" issue has been a bit controversial, and I wasn't sure how strongly you felt about it.

Comment

Chloe's having meteor power seems really cool to me.

Comment

i'm loving this fic. PPMS!!!

Comment

Chapter 9

The following morning, Clark and The Doctor joined Lois and Chloe in the Talon apartment. Chloe sat in front of her laptop, whilst the others stood clustered around her.

“O.K. We’ve got three hundred and sixty-two names,” Chloe explained, gesturing towards the laptop’s screen. "What you can see is in descending order of how closely they match the search criteria. Anyone want to guess which is our man?”

The Doctor put on a pair of glasses with black plastic frames. He leaned over Chloe’s shoulder, and peered at the screen more closely.

“Number four looks interesting. Professor Stephen Rothman.”

Chloe clicked on Rothman’s name to bring up his biography.

“Stephen Ciaran Andrew Rothman,” she recited. “Born in County Meath, Republic of Ireland, October 27, 1958. Educated Trinity College, Dublin. Did a postgrad at Cambridge University, England. Formerly, professor of bioengineering at M.I.T. Most recently, engaged in cybernetics research at Met.U.”

“Seems to tick all the boxes,” The Doctor commented. “Almost too obvious.”

“I don’t suppose his hobbies include watching cage fighting and snuff movies?” Lois added sarcastically. “Then we’d really be sure!”

“I’ve got a few contacts at the science side at Met.U.” Chloe remarked. “I could see if they could give us some info about him.”

“What if it isn’t him?” Clark asked. “We’ve got another three hundred possibles. Who else should we check?"

“Good question?” The Doctor replied thoughtfully. He reached for the touchpad, and manoeuvred the cursor onto the “Back” button.

“Wait a second!” Lois exclaimed.

The Doctor removed his hand from the touchpad, and stood back as Lois leaned forward.

“Anyone else want to drive?” Chloe complained, as Lois started moving the cursor down the screen.

“There!” Lois pointed triumphantly at a line on Rothman’s biography. “Brother: Father Edward Rothman.”

Edward Rothman’s name was highlighted as a hyperlink. Lois clicked on the link and brought up his biography.

“Two years younger than Stephen Rothman. Currently, parish priest at the St. John Francis Regis Church, Metropolis. That’s weird.”

“What’s weird?” Chloe couldn’t understand what was strange about a seemingly unremarkable life.

“Rothman,” Lois replied simply. “It just sounds odd to me that an Irish Catholic priest would have the surname ‘Rothman’. A rabbi maybe…” She paused, aware that the others were just staring at her. She nodded at the screen.

“Check out the address - Suicide Slums. Maybe our Dr. Frankenstein got interested in the dark side when he visited little brother.”

The Doctor sighed. He gazed solemnly at Lois, who tried to look defiant rather than faintly embarrassed. He suddenly smiled.

“Go and see him, check it out. It may be nothing, but it is an anomaly. Take Clark with you.”

“Why would I want to take Clark with me?” Lois was now genuinely defiant, if a little puzzled.

“Lois,” Chloe replied gently. “You know how dangerous it is in Suicide Slums. No sane person would go there alone.”

“So, what would Clark be, my bodyguard? If we get mugged, I bet that I’ll be doing the fighting whilst Smallville is busy fainting!”

“I’m not completely helpless, Lois,” Clark fumed.

“Did I say ‘completely’?" Lois shot back with a smirk.

Clark decided to talk to the Doctor instead.

“What about some of the others on the list? A priest is really out of left field?”

“Look, Lois is right about the name being odd.” The Doctor replied. “And since we don’t know whether this is a case of a human helping an alien, or aliens masquerading as humans, we can’t afford to ignore it.”

He turned his attention to Chloe. “You said that you had contacts at Met.U. Lois said that you’ re a student there.”

“Technically,” Chloe answered. “Most of my classes got cut after Dark Thursday. Things will only get back to normal after they finish the rebuilding work.”

“Doesn’t matter,” The Doctor smiled back. “I just need somebody who knows their way around. I want to meet these contacts of yours, then see if we can have a word with the Professor himself.”

“You want Chloe to help you investigate our prime suspect, whilst Clark and I go to church!” Lois couldn’t hide her annoyance.

“Aww, I won’t get to see the two of you going up the aisle!” Chloe mocked whilst putting on her sweetest smile.

Lois’ return glare suggested that the vows running through her head were not ones you could speak in a house of God. Clark forced a smile.

The Doctor clapped his hands, then rubbed them together. “Well, this isn’t getting us anywhere. You two,” he pointed at Clark and Lois. “Find out what you can from Father Rothman. Maybe he can show us another side to his brother. Meanwhile,” he turned back to Chloe, “you wanted to see my ship?”

“Er, yeah,”

“I think now’s the time.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Doctor had given it quite a build up. A TARDIS, the last one in existence, able to travel anywhere in time and space, that was what Chloe had been expecting. A proper, bone fide, alien spaceship/time machine. She was not expecting an old blue wooden box.

“It’s a phone booth,” she said simply, giving the TARDIS a sceptical look.

“Technically, it’s a 1950’s police box,” The Doctor replied breezily. He gave the weathered exterior an affectionate pat. “Not that it’s strictly accurate. Ever since the chameleon circuit broke, the disguise may have stuck, but some of the parameters have drifted a bit. Windows not quite the right size. That sort of thing.”

“’Chameleon circuit’?”

“Sort of cloaking device. The TARDIS should blend in with its surroundings. I suppose that around here, it should look like a dumpster,” He glanced down the alley, before looking at Chloe. “But, like I said, the chameleon circuit broke when I was in early-sixties London, so it got stuck like this.”

“Yeah, but that is so not a spaceship,” Chloe let her scepticism go up a notch. She turned to Clark and Lois, who were standing by the back door of the Talon. “He’s kidding me, right?”

“Chloe, exactly how many alien spaceships have you seen?” Lois was enjoying the moment, knowing what would happen in a minute or so.

“Yeah, Chloe, how many?” Clark added with mock innocence, knowing that she dare not admit the truth in front of Lois.

“Fine!” She turned back defiantly to The Doctor. “I’m prepared to be dazzled, so dazzle me!”

“I knew you’d be hard to please,” The Doctor muttered as he unlocked the door. He then stood to one side as he pushed the door open, inviting Chloe to look inside.

Lois and Clark watched as Chloe walked slowly into the TARDIS. They heard an awestruck “woah!”, then Chloe backed out into the alley again, moving around the TARDIS as Clark had done the night before. As she circled around to the side, they finally saw her face. Her eyes were wide and her mouth was hanging open, but the initial look of shock and incomprehension was gradually replaced by a huge grin. She glanced at her cousin and her best friend.

“Did you do the…?” She waved her hands vaguely before performing an elaborate mime that combined a step forward, an exaggerated look of surprise, a step back, followed by squinting hard whilst leaning from side to side as if examining an object from various angles.

“Pretty much,” grinned Clark.

“Yeah, well, only because I thought it was compulsory,” Lois feigned nonchalance, but Chloe gave her a knowing look, provoking a giveaway smirk.

“Of course, you can do something they haven’t done,” The Doctor told Chloe. He nodded towards the open doorway. “Wanna go for a ride?”

Suddenly, both he and Chloe looked like excited children. The Doctor ran inside and Chloe scampered after him. She closed the door, and saw The Doctor practically dance around the central console: pulling levers, throwing switches, pressing buttons, turning dials. As Chloe reached the console, The Doctor stopped, and took hold of a large lever.

“Ready?” he asked with a manic grin.

“As I’ll ever be!” a delighted Chloe replied.

“Right, then! Metropolis University, here we come!”

The Doctor pulled the lever, and the control room seemed to lurch suddenly. Inside the translucent central column, the discs started to rise and fall. So did the noise. Chloe could not quite place it, but it seemed to be like some sort of steam pump, combined with the sound of steel cables being dragged through pulleys and the trumpeting of an elephant. These sounds seemed to be mixed into one noise that became louder and softer in a steady rhythm. The apparent mixture of industrial and animal sounds seemed appropriate; the TARDIS was like a great mechanical beast awakening.

Outside, Lois and Clark saw the light on top of the TARDIS begin to flash. The box itself became translucent and seemed to glow slightly. A breeze blew up, as the air around the TARDIS became energised. The blue box became transparent, slowly fading from view. The breeze dropped as the air filled the suddenly empty space. In a few seconds, the TARDIS had completely disappeared, with nothing to indicate that it had ever been there.

“O.K. bodyguard,” Lois said to Clark. “Let’s see if we can get some spiritual guidance.”

“Well, I’m not sure if I’m up to it. I’m feeling a little faint!”

Lois punched him playfully on the shoulder, and started walking towards her car. “For that, you can hold the driver’s door open for me.”

“So I’m your valet now, not your bodyguard?”

“Works for me,” she replied easily, as she blipped her key fob at her parked car. She took up position beside the vehicle, arms folded, right foot tapping expectantly. Clark opened the door and bowed slightly.

“Thank you, Kent,” Lois declared in mock-regal tones as she lowered herself into the driver’s seat.

As soon as her feet were inside the car, Clark slammed the door shut. He marched abruptly around to the passenger side, and got into the front passenger seat. He turned to Lois and gave her a forced cheesy grin. Lois gave him an equally cheesy grin in response, then floored the accelerator. After a burst of wheelspin, the car shot off down the alley.

-------------------------

End of chapter 9
                      Last edited by newbaggy; 10-08-2007, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Chloe as companion!

Awesome!

"It's a phone booth."

On their way to Met U!

Meet you at Met U...

-cs™

Comment

Originally posted by CLSmith
                          Chloe as companion!

Awesome!

"It's a phone booth."

On their way to Met U!

Meet you at Met U...

-cs™
                          Might be Met. U., might be the church in Suicide Slums. If Metropolis is three hours away by car, then The Doctor and Chloe could get to Met. U. in the TARDIS, do their investigating, and get back to the Talon before Lois and Clark even got to the church. However, I suspect that the story might work better if we switch back-and-forth between the couples as they investigate. In which case, I might have to cheat a bit on the timings, and order the scenes in the way that best tells the story (something that happens quite often on Smallville, if you think about it). There may be a longish delay before I post the next chapter, as I may have to write two or three chapters' worth of material, then work out where it all goes afterwards.

By the way, thank you to everyone who posted in response to this story. It is good to know that there are people who are liking it.

Comment

They're not going to get detoured are they?

The TARDIS goes off course a lot!

-cs™

Comment

Originally posted by CLSmith
                              They're not going to get detoured are they?

The TARDIS goes off course a lot!

-cs™
                              I suspect that the Met. U. campus will turn out to be surprisingly large (maybe that's how the distance to Smallville shrank - Met. U. expanded, forcing the rest of Metropolis outwards), and The Doctor and Chloe will spend absolutely ages walking between various college buildings (thinks: good job I didn't specify that Chloe was wearing high-heels!).

Comment

*bump*

-cs™

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍