Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regeneration - Smallville/Doctor Who crossover

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quite simply the best fan fic I've ever read. The scope of it is breath taking, the story strands intertwine ingenuously and most importantly the dialogue makes you believe the Doc, Clark et al are truly in the same universe together.
    I was hooked from start to finish, you made the 10th Doc (whom I'm not a fan of) more charming than any of the NuWho writers ever managed.

Magnificent stuff, I'd recommend this to anyone wanting to read a good piece of fanfic.

Comment

• Originally posted by newbaggy
      Chapter 35

“I think I can help there,” Chloe replied. She walked down the row until she came to three desks under a large hand-drawn sign on the wall that proclaimed: Welcome to the Luthorcorp Nerd Herd.

“One of the benefits of learning geek,” she added, as she glanced at the Dilbert cartoons and the publicity photos from various sci-fi shows (with heavy emphasis on the female cast members). She took a closer look at the cartoons. They had been doctored to so that the would-be Machiavellian boss figure bore a distinct resemblance to Lex Luthor.

“These guys really don’t expect the boss to come visiting,” she muttered. Beside one of the cartoons was a photograph of a man and a woman. Chloe recognised it as a still from Chuck: the eponymous “nerd herder” and his CIA “girlfriend” supposedly at a sci-fi convention. She stared at the blonde in the Princess Leia costume, and for a split-second, the image of her editor-in-chief, Pauline Kahn, dressed in a bikini and harem pants flashed into her mind.
      I loved all the other references so far (like Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt or the Tin Dog) but reconnecting Chuck to Pauline Kahn just killed me.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ Doena
        I loved all the other references so far (like Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt or the Tin Dog) but reconnecting Chuck to Pauline Kahn just killed me.
        What about Pauline Kahn to Princess Leia (since Carrie Fisher played both)? The real fun (in my mind, anyway) was Chloe getting a momentary Return of the Jedi flashback, and realising that the girl in th bikini strangling Jabba the Hut with a metal chain looked like a younger version of her boss! Come to think of it, can the Star Wars movies exist in Smallville, because everybody's first reaction on meeting Pauline Kahn would be to say "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Princess Leia?"

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that people are still reading this story, considering its age and the fact that it is set back at the end of season 6. Hope you enjoy the rest of it.

Comment

Chapter 41

“Oh, yeah,” Emerson replied brightly. “Every time I see Kill Bill, I picture you in that yellow tracksuit instead of Uma Thurman. You know, the one modelled on a Bruce Lee outfit?”

“Maybe we should change her nickname to ‘The Bride’?” Clark suggested.

“Only if you want some impromptu dental work, courtesy of my fist,” Lois growled sweetly.
          I wonder what Bill's favourite comic in this version of Kill Bill 2 is. Warrior Angel was born Warrior Angel?

Originally posted by newbaggy
          What about Pauline Kahn to Princess Leia (since Carrie Fisher played both)? The real fun (in my mind, anyway) was Chloe getting a momentary Return of the Jedi flashback, and realising that the girl in th bikini strangling Jabba the Hut with a metal chain looked like a younger version of her boss! Come to think of it, can the Star Wars movies exist in Smallville, because everybody's first reaction on meeting Pauline Kahn would be to say "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Princess Leia?"
          That was what I meant (I was aware of who played Pauline Kahn in Thirst).

Originally posted by newbaggy
          I'm pleasantly surprised to see that people are still reading this story, considering its age and the fact that it is set back at the end of season 6. Hope you enjoy the rest of it.
          Yeah, I'm reading a lot of FanFic these days and since I'm a huge of The Doctor's I really like this crossover (To use the words from Time Crash: The tenth Doctor was MY Doctor).

I really like how you describe him, it totally feels real (especially with his "You get one warning" attitude).

The way Lana died was also totally doctorwhoish. Smallville - with the exception of Doomsday* - was never really a show where anyone can die (especially mythos characters). But Doctor Who is. Lana's death mirrored the one of Not-Rose's-Mum in the alternate universe when the Cybermen were reborn.

I never disliked Lana so much as others do on this forum (even though I, too, am a fond ignorer of the AoS) but I really liked your interpretation of the events of Promise. It fits with my analysis (read here) that she does the things she does to make herself feel save.

*Regarding Doomsday: Jimmy's death was a shock but unfortunately they've chosen ill with the killer. Aside from the bad Supes-Dooms-Fight to make Davis also a killer totally wrecks the tragic character he's been over the season.
          Last edited by DJ Doena; 06-25-2011, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ Doena
            I wonder what Bill's favourite comic in this version of Kill Bill 2 is. Warrior Angel was born Warrior Angel?
            Quite possibly - Warrior Angel is the equivalent comic book hero in the SV Universe.

That was what I meant (I was aware of who played Pauline Kahn in Thirst).
            Sorry, didn't mean to seem patronising.

Yeah, I'm reading a lot of FanFic these days and since I'm a huge of The Doctor's I really like this crossover (To use the words from Time Crash: The tenth Doctor was MY Doctor).

I really like how you describe him, it totally feels real (especially with his "You get one warning" attitude).
            Well, "You get one warning" was a taken directly from School Reunion, so where it "feels real" it probably shows how much I have stolen from the TV episodes. Certainly, my intention was to keep the tone and feel of the characters and story recognisably close to both Smallville and Doctor Who, whilst taking advantage of the fact that I could do things in print that might be difficult to achieve onscreen due to time/budget pressures.

The way Lana died was also totally doctorwhoish. Smallville - with the exception of Doomsday* - was never really a show where anyone can die (especially mythos characters). But Doctor Who is. Lana's death mirrored the one of Not-Rose's-Mum in the alternate universe when the Cybermen were reborn.

I never disliked Lana so much as others do on this forum (even though I, too, am a fond ignorer of the AoS) but I really liked your interpretation of the events of Promise. It fits with my analysis (read here) that she does the things she does to make herself feel save.

*Regarding Doomsday: Jimmy's death was a shock but unfortunately they've chosen ill with the killer. Aside from the bad Supes-Dooms-Fight to make Davis also a killer totally wrecks the tragic character he's been over the season.
            I am a bit guilty about killing Lana - especially in such a nasty manner. A little while after completing this story, I came across the phrase "Women in Refrigerators" - coined by Gail Simone to describe the fact that female characters in comic books seemed to keep meeting nasty fates to bolster male characters' stories (see http://www.unheardtaunts.com/wir/ for a fuller explanation) - and I have to admit that I pretty much "fridged" Lana. The underlying reason for killing her in this story was to make it absolutely clear that Lana was no longer part of Clark's life. Remember, I was writing a lot of this whilst Season 7 was running, where it became clear that even her marriage to Lex, faking her own death, escaping to Hong Kong and masterminding Lionel's kidnap and torture were not sufficient grounds for preventing Clark and Lana giving their "relationship" one more try, so it might have been mean-spirited on my part, but she had to die - and die in a way that made any sort of "revival" impossible.

Having said that, I did feel a degree of sympathy towards her. By making the miscarriage genuine rather than sticking with the "fake baby" plot, it becomes understandable that Lana is both desperate and not thinking completely clearly or rationally in this story. She has suffered a terrible emotional trauma, and it leads her to make two crucial mistakes: she jumps to the conclusion that the Doctor is a threat, and she fails to realise that Clark now has cause to doubt her. Of course, Clark does not realise how much danger Lana is in, so abandons her at the point that she needs him to save her. It was important to me that, although Clark had to have reason to break-up with her, when it happened it wasn't about "demonising" Lana. Hence, it was set-up as a tragic misunderstanding, with neither character appreciating the others' position.

Comment

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that people are still reading this story, considering its age and the fact that it is set back at the end of season 6.
              For the record, I have re-read this story a couple of times, newbaggy. It's that good.

Comment

• Originally posted by quinny06
                For the record, I have re-read this story a couple of times, newbaggy. It's that good.
                Thank you!

I will not be smug...I will not be smug...I will not be smug...

#smugnessavoidancefail

I said I would probably only do one story, so the least I could do was make it re-readable.

Comment

• I just have to say you have made a dream of mine come true in the most extrordinary way! I have literally lapped up every word of this story & have gotten myself an account on KSITETV for the sole purpose of telling you how much I am enjoying reading it.
                  A friend of mine & I use to have late night DVD marathons of our fav TV scifi: Doctor Who for me, & Smallville for him. We would alternate back & forth into the wee hours of the morning. I would go home with visions of Clark in the TARDIS & the Doctor visiting Smallville. This was back in 2007 (when you were originally writing this). You must have been tuned into me psychically b/c it was then that I imagined how awesome a cross-over of the two universes would be. Everything you wrote of in this story (& I'm not even done yet, on chapter 16 I believe) - the meeting up of the characters, their introduction to the Doctor, their first time in the TARDIS - is almost exactly as I imagined it!!!
                  Thank you SOOOOOOO much for making this come true so brilliantly.

Comment

• Toadpipe, welcome aboard the good ship KSITE! Thank you for your post - it amazes me that people still find something worthwhile in this story, especially as it is now practically a "period piece".

Incidentally, if you are back around chapter 15, you will shortly come across another point where the story has dated. There is a description of the last days of the Time Lords that doesn't fit with what you see in The End of Time, but in my defence, I had no idea what Russell T. Davies would write two years later. Of course, the Smallville and Doctor Who continuities don't really fit together, so the story expects the reader to turn a blind eye to one or two deliberate continuity errors along the way.

Hope the rest of the story proves as enjoyable to you as the intitial chapters have done.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎