X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regeneration - Smallville/Doctor Who crossover

Title: Regeneration
    Author: newbaggy
    Type: Smallville/Doctor Who crossover
    Rating: PG-13 (possibly for language and violence – I’m erring on the side of caution)

Disclaimer: DC Comics, Warner Brothers, Millar Gough Ink, etc. own the format and characters of Smallville. The BBC owns the format and characters of Doctor Who (except the bits owned by individual authors). I don’t own the rights for anything, and I’m certainly not making any money out of this. I just hope all these people don’t mind me letting Clark Kent meet The Doctor

Spoilers: Smallville – season 6, up to “Combat”; Doctor Who – up to end of season 3 (2005-2007 series), some references to “classic” series (1963-1989)

Author’s notes: This is an AU following on roughly a week or so after “Combat”. As I am dealing with two shows with completely separate histories, there will be some changes to established continuity and mythology. Hopefully, I can keep to the spirit even when ignoring the letter. Our heroes will be Clark, Lois, Chloe and The Doctor. There will be another villain alongside Lex. Other regulars may or may not appear, but the Justice League are absent for this story. For the purposes of this story, there is no Martian Manhunter (sorry, MM fans, but he doesn’t fit).

This is a work in progress that I started for my own amusement, but I thought that I would put up the first chapter to see anyone else liked it. It’s my first go at a fanfic, so be gentle, but I’d still appreciate some honest feedback.

Chapter 1

“Tell me again why we’re here?” Clark asked as he followed Lois into the steel-lined corridor. “You got your front page story. The fight club’s been closed down. The cops made several arrests. All that’s left is the trial.”

“But my gut’s telling me there’s more,” Lois replied, “and I need you to help me take a look around and see if the cops missed anything. After all, you were here as well. Besides, my friend might have some questions for you.”

“Your friend?”

Lois pointed towards the end of the corridor. Clark looked past her, and saw a man in his mid-thirties slouched by the gates that barred the way into the darkened space beyond. The man glanced at his watch, and stood up.

Lois called to him: “What’s up, Doc?”

“You’re late.”

The man was English, with what Clark guessed was a London accent. He was six feet tall, but skinny, in a blue pinstripe suit that could do with pressing, worn with a purple open-necked shirt and white Converse sneakers that gave the ensemble a slightly anarchic feel. His shock of dark hair looked like he had just absent-mindedly run his hands through it. The thin face bore a wry, boyish smile. He waited for Lois to join him, then glancing at Clark, asked her: “If you’re Bugs Bunny, is this Elmer Fudd?”

Clark glared at Lois, who tried (and failed) to stifle her giggles. She composed herself, and made the introductions.

“Doctor, meet Clark Kent. Smallville, this is Doctor John Smith…”

“Actually, everyone just calls me The Doctor,” the man added hastily. “There are just so many ‘John Smiths’ around.”

“Quite a lot of ‘Doctors’ as well,” commented Clark. Somewhere, deep within his memory, faint bells rang at the mention of The Doctor.

“True,” The Doctor replied, “but the name’s stuck with me somehow. Besides, I rather like it. Anyway, shall we go in?”

The gates were held shut by chains linked through a large padlock. The Doctor pulled out a slim cylindrical object, shaped like a cross between a small, slim torch and a dentist drill. He pointed it at the padlock, and pressed a button. A blue light glowed at the front of the object, accompanied by an electronic buzz. There was a “bang”, a small puff of smoke from the keyhole, and the padlock fell open. The Doctor pulled away the chains, and pushed open the gates.

“What’s that thing?” asked Clark, indicating The Doctor’s device.

“Sonic screwdriver”, replied The Doctor absentmindedly, as he walked through into the cavernous, dimly-lit room.

“A what?”

“It’s a screwdriver. It’s sonic. OK?” Lois gave Clark a do you have to embarrass me? look, then left him to join The Doctor. Clark considered replying that he still had no clue as to what sonic screwdriver was, when a thought struck him: I have never seen anything like that before, but Lois clearly has. What’s going on? He kept his mouth shut, and followed Lois.

“So this is the infamous Hangar 44?” The Doctor asked, holding the sonic screwdriver out in front of him, and performing a sweep of the room.

“Yep. The Army cleared out of Fort Ryan about a year back,” replied Lois. “Maddox and his crew got hold of this place and converted it into a TV studio. Of course, there was a lot more equipment here before the cops took it for evidence.” She glanced round at the empty tables and chairs that were the only indication that people might have worked there.

“And Maddox took patients from the local asylum, and made them fight to the death.” There was an unmistakable edge to The Doctor’s voice. “Just because they had - what did you call them – ‘abilities’.”

“Superpowers – stuff straight out of comic books,” Lois explained. “Peter Parker gets bitten by a spider, he becomes Spiderman. Come into contact with Smallville’s meteor rocks, and you might end up able to paralyse with a single touch or become invisible or shatter glass just by thinking about it.”

The Doctor nodded. His calm acceptance of what Lois had said seemed odd to Clark: “That doesn’t surprise you?”

“Not really,” The Doctor looked Clark straight in the eye. “By my standards, it’s pretty normal.” He started checking around and under each of the tables.

Clark decided to probe further: “How do you know Lois?”

“We met in London…oh, it must be nearly two years ago now. An old friend of mine asked me if I could help Lois find her sister.”

Clark turned to Lois: “I thought that you were looking for her in Europe?”

“Geography lesson, Smallville, London is a European city!” Lois almost sang in response. “The General and I got a tip from my Uncle Alastair that Lucy might be in London. Dad got called to a NATO conference at short notice, so I went to England on my own. Uncle Alastair thought I needed a ‘guide’, so he teamed me up with The Doctor.”

Clark looked round at The Doctor, who was crawling on all fours beneath one of the tables: “What are you, a private detective?”

The Doctor banged his head on the underside of the table, and winced: “Scientist. But I do a lot of fieldwork.” He climbed to his feet, and continued, “Well, there’s nothing much out here. I think we should take a look inside the cage.”

He nodded towards the centre of the room. There, spotlights illuminated a fifteen foot high steel fence forming a rough circle about thirty feet or so in diameter; the setting for the cage fights. As the three came closer to the cage, the damage from the final fight could be seen: sections of the fence bent outwards, impact damage to adjacent concrete pillars. The Doctor entered, and started scanning several reddish-brown patches on the concrete floor. As Lois and Clark followed him into the cage, they shivered involuntarily. They knew those patches were bloodstains left by those who had died in the fights.

The Doctor crouched down beside the darkest of the patches: “Is this where Titan died?”

“I think so,” replied Lois. “I was pretty much out of it by then.”

“Uh-huh,” The Doctor scanned the dark patch with his sonic screwdriver, listening to the electronic buzz change in pitch. As he did so, he muttered to himself: “Blood, but no human DNA – not even terrestrial DNA. Traces of mineral oil, some sort of plastic, non-terrestrial metal alloy – probably herculanium.”

He stood up, puzzled.

“You couldn’t have taken him down like you said in your article.”

“Hey, it was tough, but I did,” Lois was defiant. “If I hadn’t, Clark and I would be dead.”

“But, you couldn’t have…” The Doctor walked across to Lois and stared straight into her eyes. “…unless…” He scanned her with the sonic screwdriver, then turned and did the same to Clark. His eyes widened briefly. A single thought filled Clark’s head: oh my God, he knows I’m not human!

The Doctor frowned, and put the sonic screwdriver back into his jacket pocket. He looked back at Lois, and smiled: “I know what would help. If you two re-enacted what happened, then I might have a better understanding of what went on.”

Lois immediately walked over to one of the entrances to the cage: “I came in here, and Clark was led in over there.” She indicated a second entrance the other side of the cage from where she stood.

Clark was lost in his own thoughts, wondering just what The Doctor knew. He looked up to see the Doctor and Lois staring at him. Lois pointed at the second entrance. Clark reluctantly walked across to it, then sullenly marched back to the centre of the cage.

Lois glanced towards The Doctor: “Just so ya know, he looked that miserable on the night.”

“Well, I didn’t want to fight you, did I?” snapped Clark.

“Anyway…” The Doctor hastily interrupted, “I get the general idea. In the red corner, Lois Lane. In the blue corner, Clark Kent.”

“Or ‘Vixen’ and ‘The Man of Steel’,” muttered Clark whilst glaring at Lois.

“Sorry...?” The Doctor looked between them, temporarily confused.

“The monikers Maddox gave us,” explained Lois. She started dancing around Clark, playfully throwing jabs towards him without actually landing a punch.

“So then, I tried to arrange our escape. While I pretended to fight him, I told Smallville to punch me. Not too hard, but enough that I could take a dive without them smelling a rat. Then, as soon as they opened the cage, we could make a run for it.”

“Why do I sense a ‘but’ coming?” The Doctor sighed.

“But I can’t take a dive because Clarkie here won’t hit girls!” Lois gave Clark a derisive look, whilst he desperately hoped that she could not see how much he was blushing.

“The Age of Chivalry is not dead!” declared the Doctor. He gave Clark a wry smile. “Not that a decent upbringing counts for much in a place like this.” He looked back at Lois. “Don’t tell me – you made Clark take a dive instead.”

Suddenly, it was Lois’ turn to look embarrassed. She remained stubbornly silent, whilst Clark smiled inwardly both at her discomfort and the memory of what actually happened. Unfortunately, that inward smile started to play across his lips…and the explosion came…

“He cheated!” exclaimed Lois. “He had a steel plate or something down his shirt! I nearly broke my hand on it! That’s why he was called ‘Man of Steel’…!”

“I forgot,” The Doctor interrupted. ‘The Age of Chivalry’ has been replaced by ‘The Age of Body Armour’.”

Lois smiled at his quip.

“So,” continued The Doctor, “what happened then?”

“That was when Titan appeared,” Clark volunteered the information, knowing that he really did not want Lois or The Doctor to know the truth of what had happened next.

The Doctor sauntered across to one of the entrances; he had spotted the damage to the gate from Titan’s forced entry.

“Right, imagine I’m Titan.” He hunched his shoulders and held his arms out from his sides in a gorilla-like posture. He started to lumber forward whilst making strange growling noises.

“Well,” said Lois sarcastically, “if you were a foot taller and a hundred and fifty pounds heavier and not trying to do a really bad King Kong impersonation, you’d be a dead ringer for him.”

“Yeah, doesn’t really work, does it?” The Doctor straightened up and walked back to join Lois and Clark. “What happened next?”

Lois looked at Clark with sudden concern. When she spoke, the humour had drained from her voice: “Titan hit Clark with this right uppercut…it lifted him off his feet and he went flying…”

The Doctor turned to Clark, who walked to the position where he had fallen, and sat down. Lois never took her eyes off Clark until his butt touched the floor. Then, she turned to The Doctor, and said quietly: “I thought that Titan was going to kill Clark. I wasn’t going to let that happen. So, I took him down.”

The Doctor smiled back at her. “Oh, that is just so you.” He stood in front of her, and put his hands on her shoulders.

You’re so right, Clark thought, and suddenly felt confused. The Doctor unnerved him, disturbed him. It was not just the sonic screwdriver, the way he seemed to treat meteor freaks and aliens as all in a day’s work, the way he had looked at Clark when he had scanned him. What was really weird was how The Doctor seemed to understand Lois so well. He seemed content to let her be…well…Lois, whilst she seemed strangely relaxed in his company.

Clark watched as The Doctor asked Lois to demonstrate how she has attacked Titan. She jumped onto The Doctor’s back and started pummelling his upper body with her fists.

“Ow, ow, ow…”

“I didn’t hit you that hard!”

“Yes, you did! Anyway, now what?”

“I think I put him in a headlock. Trouble is, he must have hit me whilst he was trying to throw me off. I somehow got concussed and passed out.”

Lois applied the headlock. The Doctor made a brief strangulated croak, and tapped her forearm. She loosened her grip, and The Doctor looked over at Clark.

“Girlish enthusiasm,” he remarked wryly. He coughed a couple of times, then continued brightly, “So, Clarkie Boy, did you see what happened next?”

I could say I was unconscious, and didn’t see anything. I could tell the truth: I, an alien with superpowers, traded blows with another superpowered alien until I hit him so hard that he went up in the air and landed on his own spike. I could…

Clark decided to stick to something approximating the version of events he had given Lois.

“Titan had this spike that came out of his right wrist. He looked like he was trying to stab Lois with it. So, I grabbed his arm…”

“Show me.” The Doctor held his right arm in front of him, bent as if to throw a punch across, up and back, so that it hit Lois in the head. Clark grabbed The Doctor’s arm, forcing it down so that The Doctor’s fist pointed at his chest.

“I held his arm down whilst Lois strangled him,” Clark explained. “As she passed out, he collapsed and fell onto the spike. I think Lois must have rolled off him as he fell. I’m not sure…”

The Doctor started to topple forward. Lois swung her legs out to her right, and dismounted like a gymnast. The Doctor rolled to the right as he fell, landing on his side and continuing the roll onto his back. He smiled up at Lois and Clark.

“Do you want to know something? There’s only one reason why Titan wasn’t able to kill you. Why you survived.”

Clark swallowed hard, waiting for the inevitable.

“Cos you’re the luckiest people in the world!"

--------------------------------------------------------

End of Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chloe Sullivan, star investigative reporter in the making, was working at her desk at the Daily Planet. The Daily Planet. In the basement, admittedly. And she was only working on a fluff piece: a report on a flower show that would probably be cut to a couple of paragraphs printed under a photo of a minor celebrity looking at the new rose variety that had been named after them. O.K., so Lois had got herself a front-page investigative scoop – but it was only in the Inquisitor. And it wasn’t as if she knew the real story.

This last thought made her stop typing. She glanced at the clock in the corner of her computer screen, then checked her watch. As she looked up at the office entrance, Clark walked through the glass-panelled doors. God, I’m good!

“Hi, Clark. Right on time,” she smiled, as Clark came over to her.

“What do you mean? I didn’t say I was coming here.” Clark looked confused.

“You told me Lois wanted you to go back to Fort Ryan with her,” Chloe explained. “So I worked out how long it would take you to get there, made an estimate as to how long you might hang around there, then guessed that you would come superspeeding here to ask me for information.” She picked up a yellow soft-covered book from her desk, and handed it to Clark. “You might need this.”

Clark looked at the title: “’Google for Dummies’?”

“That’s to keep you going until you start your training. I was going to ask, do you think Jor-El could include a “Hacking 101” module?”

Clark was concerned: “Have I upset you?”

“It’s just that you keep coming to me for information, and…” She let out a long sigh. “I saw Jimmy last night, tried to patch things up and …well…your name came up, and certain things were said…”

“You mean that he still thinks that we’re some sort of an item?”

“Yeah. But it’s not you’re fault,” Chloe gave his arm a reassuring pat. “Go on, ask away!”

“Well, for once, I might not be able to find this on the internet,” Clark replied. “I need to know about Lois’ Uncle Alastair.”

Chloe frowned. “Clark, Lois doesn’t have an Uncle Alastair.”

“Are you sure?” Clark suddenly looked very uneasy. “I think that he might live in England.”

Chloe thought for a moment, and the penny dropped: “Oh, Uncle Alastair!” She leaned forward, and started clicking on various icons and menus. Clark was surprised to see the front screen of Chloe’s Digital Wall of Weird appear. Chloe clicked in a search box, and typed “Lethbridge-Stewart”.

A new screen appeared, showing a photo of an army officer in a green military-issue sweater and a cap bearing some sort of United Nations insignia. The man appeared to be about fifty years old, with a neat black moustache covering what was undoubtedly a stiff upper lip.

“Brigadiar Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart,” recited Chloe. “Formerly of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders – that’s a British Army regiment, Clark.”

Clark gave her an I guessed that look.

“That photo is about twenty years old. When The General was stationed in England, about ten years ago, he became friends with Lethbridge-Stewart and his wife,” continued Chloe. “Lucy had just been sent to boarding school, and Lois…well, she was becoming a real handful. She was still a kid, but her dad had expected her to mother Lucy after their mom died. Combine that with being dragged around the world, and I don’t think she really knew what she was supposed to be. But, for some reason, she really got on well with the Lethbridge-Stewarts. Maybe because they treated her like the daughter they never had.”

Chloe paused, then added, “Lois once told me that Uncle Alastair was one of the few senior officers she really respected. Considering her opinion of most of them, that’s pretty high praise.”

“So, why’s he on the Wall of Weird?”

Chloe clicked on a link marked “UNIT”

A new page appeared headed: UNIT – United Nations Intelligence Taskforce.

“You aren’t the first ali…intergalactic traveller to have come to Earth, Clark. There have been a number of so-called “incursions” since the 1960’s, mainly in Europe. Eventually, the United Nations set up UNIT to investigate and combat these incursions. My understanding is that Uncle Alastair was in charge of UNIT’s British operation through the 1980’s.”

“How do you know all this?” asked Clark.

“After Dark Thursday, I started looking for Wall of Weird material outside the U.S.,” Chloe explained. “There’s a lot of garbage put out by whackos and conspiracy theorists, but once you filter that out, it’s amazing what you can find.”

“Could UNIT be investigating what’s been happening around Smallville?” Clark had visions of Men In Black coming to get him.

“Unlikely. It seems the U.S. only has observer status, and the government won’t allow UNIT operations on American soil.”

“Do you have any record of a Doctor John Smith working for UNIT?”

“Why?” Chloe sensed Clark’s anxiety.

“When Lois took me to Hangar 44, she introduced my to this strange guy called Doctor John Smith. She said he was a friend of her Uncle Alastair, and she’d asked him along to help look the place over. I thought that he seemed suspicious. I was worried that he might be something like another Milton Fine. Now, I’m wondering if he’s a UNIT agent.”

“Well, there’s a lot of “John Smiths” around.” Chloe started typing, searching through her records.

“Yeah, and an awful lot of doc…” Clark paused. He could hear the words from two Christmases ago: the news reports of the alien spaceship over London; Harriet Jones, the British Prime Minister, broadcasting to her nation, making her curious appeal…

“Doctor, please, help us. I don’t know what to do.”

Clark muttered: “He called himself The Doctor.”

Chloe stared at him, not sure what he meant. Then the realisation hit her: “The Doctor? You think it’s the same Doctor that Harriet Jones…?”

Clark nodded.

Chloe put her hands together, and rested the tips of her forefingers on her lips as she thought. Eventually, she removed them so she could speak.

“Less than three hours after that broadcast, the alien ship started climbing into space…”

“…and it was destroyed as it left the atmosphere,” Clark finished the sentence for her. “What if he was somehow responsible? What if he’s used by UNIT to eliminate alien threats? What if he thinks I’m an alien threat?”

“Where is he now?” asked Chloe, trying to ignore the sudden sick feeling in her gut.

“I left him with Lois.”

--------------------------

End of Chapter 2

Comment

This is quite interesting I would certainly love to read more of it. I hope you have Chloe in it a lot I would love for her to meet the doctor I think they would get on great.

Comment

Originally posted by pipersmum
        This is quite interesting I would certainly love to read more of it. I hope you have Chloe in it a lot I would love for her to meet the doctor I think they would get on great.
        Don't worry, I can't wait for them to meet either. Which is why the next chapter features The Doctor and...Lois.

Ooops...

In audience terms, that sounds like a Bad Move...

Actually, it gets worse. The way things are going, there won't be any Chloe or Clark for at least two chapters. Lois needs to talk to the Doctor about things they couldn't mention in front of Clark, and they might have a lead to follow. Meanwhile, we need to pay a visit to the Luthor mansion to find out about Lex's latest acquisition.

However...Clark needs to know what The Doctor is up to, and when Lois gets back to her apartment, I've a feeling that Chloe will be questioning her about her "friend".

She might be surprised by the response...

Comment

Chapter 3

Lois had been surprised at how quickly Clark had disappeared. She had gotten used to the way you could turn you back on him for a second, and by the time you turned back, he would have vanished. Still, when she and The Doctor had emerged from Hangar 44 back into the daylight, Smallville hadn’t been that far ahead of them. But there was no sign of his truck – then again she hadn’t seen him arrive in it. Actually, Clark’s sudden absence made things easier - it meant that she could speak freely with The Doctor.

Once they were safely inside her car, she asked: “Why did you really think that I couldn’t have taken him down?”

“Who, Titan?” The Doctor leaned back in his seat. “Well, as far as I can make out, he was a Dexosi. And that means that you wouldn’t have stood a chance against him.”

“I got a list of guys who thought that I didn’t stand a chance against them. And do you know what it says against each name? ‘Lois Lane kicked his butt’!”

“Well, I’m betting that they were all human,” The Doctor replied. “Titan on the other hand was an alien with rather powerful cybernetic implants.”

Lois said nothing, so The Doctor began to explain, like a history professor giving a lecture: “The Dexosi brigade was created as the Peliarchans’ last line of defence in the War. They were cyborg warriors who lived to fight. Practically invulnerable to an organic opponent. The Dexosi became legends after their actions at the siege of Renarth. But the Daleks still managed to wipe them out. Well, practically wipe them out. There are stories that some of them deserted rather than die. Melted into the criminal underworld. Became mercenaries, personal bodyguards to the sort of people that you don’t want to know, hired thugs.”

“’The sort of people you don’t want to know’.” mimicked Lois. “You mean like half my ex-boyfriends!”

“I’m guessing worse,” The Doctor replied. He thought further. “Actually, there may be some in prison somewhere, but there aren’t many prisons that could hold a Dexosi.”

“But, I’m not dead! Clark isn’t dead! If Titan was supposed to be unstoppable, what happened?”

“Well, the only theory that makes sense to me is that his implants were damaged.” The Doctor turned to Lois and looked at her intently. “Otherwise, either you or Clark would have had to be superhuman.”

“Yeah, well there are days when I have difficulty believing Smallville is averagely human.” Lois started the car, and pointed it towards the main gate.

“So, I suppose the next question is how Titan got here?”

“I was hoping that you had some clues,” The Doctor replied.

“Well, it’s amazing how little trace a seven foot tall, three hundred pound alien psycho can leave!” Lois couldn’t hide the sarcasm in her voice. She gave a despairing shrug. “All the other fighters were from Belle Reve, Titan wasn’t. There’s no record of how Maddox came to meet him, no-one I’ve spoken to knew his history. And then there’s the question of who removed his body before the cops got there.”

“But you’ve still got the woman to see?”

“That’s where we’re going now. I’m hoping that this is a case of lovers who didn’t keep secrets. Or that Maddox talked in his sleep.”

She fell silent for a moment, using the excuse that she was concentrating on negotiating her way around an awkwardly designed junction near the abandoned PX. In truth, she was unsure as to whether to ask the next question. They might be trying to find out what happened to Titan, but someone else was missing, and she needed to know why.

“What happened to Martha?”

“Martha?” The Doctor seemed puzzled. “Martha Kent? Clark’s mum? Didn’t you say that she was some sort of senator?”

Doctor…” Lois was not put off by his show of innocence.

“Oh, you mean Miss Jones.” The Doctor tried to appear casual, but the sudden haunted look in his eyes gave him away. “She’s back with her family.”

Lois was shocked. “What happened? I mean, you two seemed…”

“I couldn’t give her what she needed,” The Doctor stared straight ahead, his eyes focused on something that only he could see. “I could take her to the past or the future. I could take her anywhere in the universe. But only as her friend.”

Lois remembered the petite, dark-skinned woman with her wide eyes and vivacious smile. The enthusiasm with which she spoke about The Doctor, the admiration, the…

“She loved you, you know.” Lois told him. “Would’ve done anything for you. Took me five minutes to work that out.”

She gave a mirthless, disbelieving laugh.

“Sometimes, you can meet a guy. And you know that he’s a great guy. I mean a really great guy. But…it’s totally one-sided…the love thing. You’ll give him everything…just give and give and give in the hope of getting something back…and it never happens. Not because he’s a creep. Not because he just wants to use you. He’ll like you, care about you, be kind to you…but he just won’t love you. And you have to walk away…because that’s the only way you’ll save yourself.”

“That’s what Martha said. Well, not exactly those words, but you know what I mean.” The Doctor became more animated, warmth returning to his features. “We parted on good terms. She left me her phone, and said that she would call me someday. That I wasn’t to think I’d seen the last of her.”

“And has she? Called, I mean.”

“No.”

“She will,” Lois reassured him. “When she feels that she has a life of her own. When she isn’t crawling back because she couldn’t be without you.”

“Of course, it does mean that I’m on my own again…” The Doctor tried to sound nonchalant.

“Oh, no!” Lois could see where this was heading.

“What do you mean, ‘oh, no’?”

“I mean ‘don’t look at me, I’m not coming with you’!” Lois replied. “When you contacted me because you saw my article, I was grateful for the offer of help. O.K., so if you’re right about Titan being a …”

“…Dexosi...”

“…a Dexosi, then it’s possibly more than just a news story. But to…” she paused to gather her thoughts.

“I’ve spent most of my life being dragged around from place to place. I’d always be the girl from somewhere else. Hell, I only met you because The General dragged me to Europe to help look for Lucy! But when I got thrown out of college, the Kents gave me a home. Now, I’ve got an apartment. And a job that I actually love. Which nobody has fired me from yet!”

She smiled ruefully.

“One day, I’m gonna want a guy to give me the moon and the stars. Until then, I just want a life that I can call mine. That I can make mine.”

“I pity the fool who tries to take it from you,” The Doctor looked at her with equal parts admiration and wistfulness. As he turned back to look at the road ahead, the nonchalance returned.

“Actually, I suppose it’s probably for the best.”

“Oh, yeah?” Lois wondered what was coming next.

A mischievous gleam appeared in The Doctor’s eyes.

“After all, with you around, I’d never get in the bathroom!”

Lois thumped him on the upper arm. Then, she burst out laughing.

---------------------

End of Chapter 3
          Last edited by newbaggy; 08-17-2007, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I'm saving the link to this thread so I can finish reading later, but let me just say: this is the first fanfic I've ever read more than a chapter of, and also the first fanfic I've ever wanted to read all the way until the end. Great writing, great plot, great everything. My only minor complaint was you seemed to push Chloe and Clark into their stereotypical fan-portrayal (i.e. Chloe annoyed by Clark always wanting help, whereas that's not like her character on the show at all).

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
              I'm saving the link to this thread so I can finish reading later, but let me just say: this is the first fanfic I've ever read more than a chapter of, and also the first fanfic I've ever wanted to read all the way until the end. Great writing, great plot, great everything. My only minor complaint was you seemed to push Chloe and Clark into their stereotypical fan-portrayal (i.e. Chloe annoyed by Clark always wanting help, whereas that's not like her character on the show at all).
              Fair point about the Chloe/Clark thing. It was intended more as a dig at how show's writers turn her into a convenient source of information for Clark, Lois, etc. Of course, I've done exactly the same thing, but in my defence, Clark's initial enquiry is about Lois' family so it makes sense for him to talk to a relative.

Actually, I am worried about sterotypical portrayals, and about introducing a character like The Doctor without hurting the regulars. I saw on the "Arrow" episode thread that you were interested to see how we Brits didn't seem to mind the introduction of Oliver Queen, whilst some U.S. fans had complained that Smallville was becoming "Green Arrowville". I think that Ollie's arrival shows the sort of problems that can occur with introducing another hero into Smallville. In "Sneeze", Justin Hartley appeared wooden to me, simply because he and the unfortunate John Glover had to deliver dialogue that was basically all exposition about who Ollie is and how he comes to be in Metropolis - there was no real attempt at characterisation. He only really comes alive in "Arrow" because he finally gets a large chunk of screentime in which to show the audience the full range of Ollie's character. However, give him more screentime and suddenly Clark appears to be pushed to one side and diminished.

The Doctor could easily become merely "Green Arrow 2". He is introduced via Lois Lane, he is (as you will discover) a hero who is older, wiser, more sophisticated and funnier than Clark, and he will alter Clark's view of how to be a hero. So far, so Ollie. However, since The Doctor is a character that I would say is infinitely superior to (and very different from) Ollie, I want to be able to convey that difference to the audience. But, I want to do so whilst showing Clark in a better light: not as the Big Dumb Alien, but someone who will be worthy of the the title 'Superman'. I may allow him to be a bit useless at times, but ultimately, he has to be "the man", not merely The Doctor's sidekick. Oh, and since I think that Allison Mack and Erica Durance have been two of the best reasons for watching Smallville in recent years, I definitely want Chloe and Lois to have a fair crack of the whip. Then, I've got to fit in Lex (and another?) doing villainous things, a threat to humanity that requires two of fiction's greatest heroes to defeat it and some fun mixing together of Doctor Who and Smallville/Superman mythos.

Aaaaarrrrggghhh!!!!!!

If there are some long gaps between updates, it wil be because I'm tearing my hair out trying to make it all work! However, I am determined to carry on to the bitter end, if only because the climax might involve a bit of fun with one of Doctor Who's best known lines, and the last chapter (or, possibly, penultimate - it depends how long it gets) should have the "Doctor Who" explanation for one of the most famous parts of the Superman mythos.

Hope you enjoy the ride!

Comment

It was intended more as a dig at how show's writers turn her into a convenient source of information for Clark
                This was somewhat my point. The fan complaint/response/stereotype for Chloe is her as annoyed by constantly being a source of information. Whereas Chloe seems to be happy to contribute in most instances of official continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
                  This was somewhat my point. The fan complaint/response/stereotype for Chloe is her as annoyed by constantly being a source of information. Whereas Chloe seems to be happy to contribute in most instances of official continuity.
                  I know. I checked the "Most overused things in Smallville fanfic" thread, and it isn't in there, but it probably should be. I have to say that my personal view is that Chloe is happy to help 99.99% of the time. But even she is allowed an off day! After all, Clark does ask a lot of her, and there must be times when she thinks "now really isn't a good time".

Actually, my other, extremely feeble, excuse was that I wanted a reason to refer to the "Chimmy" situation, just in case somebody asks "where's Jimmy?" in a few chapters' time (I bet if I'd left it out, everbody would have just accepted that Jimmy wasn't in the story). So, Chloe isn't going to spend the rest of the story complaining about Clark.

At this stage, I really should apologise to you Midgard, and to pipersmum. You took the trouble to say nice things about this fic, and I never thanked you. To be honest, I seriously thought that the reaction might be "what is this garbage?", so to get some praise means a lot. I am extremely grateful to both of you. I'm sorry if I'm a bit oversensitive about the character stereotyping - I've just been so keen to get the character right.

As far as sterotypes go, I have worries with the next chapter. I was going to leave Lana out of the story, because I'm not a big fan of the character. However, she seems to fit the next scene quite well. So now, I've got to be careful to write her properly, and not turn her into the "Pink Princess". Combine that with some worries I've got with the plot, and it is likely to be a few days before I post anything further. Having been lucky enough to get such praise, I feel duty bound to keep up the quality level.
                  Last edited by newbaggy; 08-20-2007, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Haha "Uncle Alastair", love it.

I'm curious, are you going to create a familial connection between Chloe and Harry Sullivan?

Or is that just my wishful thinking?

-cs™

Comment

Originally posted by CLSmith
                      Haha "Uncle Alastair", love it.

I'm curious, are you going to create a familial connection between Chloe and Harry Sullivan?

Or is that just my wishful thinking?
                      I'd forgotten about Harry! So, no, Chloe and Harry Sullivan are not related. It might be pushing it a bit if too many people turn out to have UNIT connections. However, now you have mentioned him, I might have a passing reference to Harry at some point.

The whole "Uncle Alastair" thing came about because I needed a reason for The Doctor to meet and team up with the regulars. When I first started thinking about this fic, I couldn't see what would bring them together fairly quickly. The idea of The Doctor simply breezing into Smallville and quickly becoming friends with Clark and Chloe seemed odd considering their experiences with Milton Fine/Brainiac. At the same time, it occurred to me that in "Aqua", Lois arrives back in Smallville after going to Europe to look for Lucy, and Clark and Lana are surprised that she is back as they expected her to be gone for several more months. There must have been an explanation, but I've never heard one on the show. So, I hit on the idea that Lois had met The Doctor whilst looking for Lucy, and whatever happened in that adventure caused Lois to return to Smallville. I fancied the idea of a London-set adventure, so the idea of Brigadiar Lethbridge-Stewart being a friend of The General's seemed a neat way of bringing Lois to England and into contact with the Doctor. Although that was as far as I got with that idea, it gave me the back-story to set up Lois as a link to bring The Doctor into this story, and into contact with Clark.

In addition, I liked the idea of The Doctor as a friend for Lois. They have some clear similarities: their irreverent sense of humour, their ability to unsettle people on occasions, their tendancy to bury their feelings in certain circumstances. Also, I thought it would be good to see Lois with a male friend who wasn't a boyfriend/love interest, and who had a big secret that he actually shared with her, rather than hiding it. It seemed like a fun pairing which could have interesting knock-on effects in the way the two related to other characters.

Oh, and I promise I'm working on the next chapter. However, it might not be up before the weekend.
                      Last edited by newbaggy; 08-23-2007, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Chapter 4

“And you’re sure it’s genuine?”

“Oh, yes. All the details are correct.”

Lana recognised her husband’s voice, but not that of the man who answered. The accent was Irish, a Celtic lilt softening the businesslike tone. As she entered the study, she saw that Lex was in conversation with a tall man in a grey business suit. The man was in his late forties, slim and, Lana thought, quite handsome. Although, everything from his neatly cut dark hair to his carefully pressed clothes and polished shoes spoke of precision and elegance, there was a curious hint of roguishness about him.

The two men stood in front of an easel on which was propped up a painting. A portrait.

Mona Lisa!

Lana’s mouth hung open.

“Catching flies?” Lex had turned to look at her, the merest hint of a smile on his face.

“I suppose I should congratulate you on the crime of the century!” Lana gasped. “Managing to get that out of the Louvre undetected is quite something, even for you.”

“You think that your husband is a thief?” Lex smiled back. “Well, let me reassure you that the real Mona Lisa is safe in Paris. This is a genuine – and rather expensive - fake!”

“A what!” Lana wondered what new game Lex was playing.

“One of the Scarlioni forgeries,” he replied. He glanced at the tall man, and realised that introductions were necessary: “Lana, this is Professor Stephen Rothman. Professor Rothman, my wife.”

“Allow me to explain, Mrs Luthor,” Rothman said. “In 1979, there was a fire at a chateau in the outskirts of Paris belonging to a Count Scarlioni. It was believed the Count had become a multi-millionaire through the sale of various antiques: Gutenburg bibles, Gainsborough paintings, the list went on and on. All the sales were private – very private. What concerned the art world were rumours that many of these items were forgeries, but forgeries so good as to be undetectable to even the closest scrutiny.”

“And this is one of those forgeries?” Lana asked.

Rothman held up a hand: “There is more to the story. After the fire, it was rumoured that half a dozen forgeries of the Mona Lisa were found in the cellar of the chateau. It was always officially denied. I am one of the few people who can confirm that that it was true”

“How?”

“Because in 1980, I was in Paris and I took a job in a shop in Pigalle.” Rothman suddenly seemed a little awkward. “It sold magazines of a particular…nature.

Lana smiled knowingly. “I spent a summer in Paris. I know what’s on sale in Pigalle.”

“Oh, right.” Rothman regained his composure. “The owner used the shop as a front for dealing in stolen artworks. After a few weeks, he took me into his confidence, and I assisted in the illegitimate side of things. Eventually, one night, he showed me what he told me was the most remarkable thing I would ever see.”

“One of the forged Mona Lisa’s?”

“Exactly, and he told me what made the Scarloni forgeries the art world’s greatest mystery. One of the forgeries had been recovered by the authorities, and sent to the Louvre for examination. According to their expert analysis, it was probably painted in 1505 by Leonardo da Vinci”.

“So da Vinci painted more than one Mona Lisa?” Lana was having difficulty with the concept.

“Oh, now comes the best part!” Lex looked infuriatingly smug. “It was a modern forgery, as is this. I had a team do what the Louvre team did: X-ray the painting. And they found exactly the same thing. ‘This is a fake’ written in black marker pen under the paint. No marker pens in 1505!”

“Professor Rothman, your team must have made a mistake.” Lana was adamant.

“It was not the Professor’s team. He is working for me on another project.” Lex explained. “However, given the Professor’s previous contact with the painting, I thought it worth getting his opinion.”

“What other project?” Lana was curious.

“Perhaps we should discuss that another time, Professor.” Lex suddenly seemed keen to for his visitor to leave.

“Of course.” Rothman smiled. “Maybe you could come down to the facility. This evening, around nine, perhaps. It would make more sense to discuss things there. And it would be more private.” He looked meaningfully at Lana.

“I’ll have my people make the arrangements.” Lex showed Rothman to the door.

Lana glared at Lex as he walked back to join her, “Another secret? So what is this “other project”? And since when do you let someone who works for you dictate your schedule?”

“There are other projects that don’t concern you.” Lex replied pointedly “But I will tell you this much. Professor Rothman is not working for me, he is working for us! All of us!”

He sighed. “One day, even you might thank me for that.”

----------------

End of Chapter 4
                        Last edited by newbaggy; 08-24-2007, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Oh cool a City of Death connection!

^For those not in the know.

-cs™

Comment

Originally posted by CLSmith
                            Oh cool a City of Death connection!

^For those not in the know.

-cs™
                            Shush, I am going to borrow a bit more from "City of Death" later. Don't spoil the surprise!

Now, there may be readers of this fic who have never seen an episode of Doctor Who, and are wondering if they need to start reading up about the series. My approach is that this is a Smallville fansite, so I assume that the people reading this fic will be familiar with Smallville. As far as the Doctor Who side of things is concerned, I assume no prior knowledge. I may put in references that Doctor Who fans will pick up on, but if you need to understand a particular reference to follow the story, then it will be explained at some point. So, if "City of Death" and "Harry Sullivan" mean nothing to you, please don't feel that you're unwelcome.

P.S. Not sure how quickly I'll post the next bit of the story. The next chapter picks up with Lois and the Doctor as they trace "the woman" mentioned in chapter 3. Then we (finally!) get Clark and Chloe back into the story, and discovering the truth about the Doctor, in chapter 6. So depending on how things go, I might post chapter 5 as soon as it's ready, and leave you waiting for chapter 6, or hold off until both are ready so that I can post them in quick succession. If I don't post again by Tuesday, then I'm probably going for the latter option.

Comment

My bad!

Take your time, I'm looking forward to each and every chapter.

-cs™

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎