Why would she say that? Poor Lex.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would she say that? Poor Lex.

"You're not capable of love, Lex. You never were."

Since I think that Lex really does love Lana, just think how much that statement would crush him.

Anyone else think she went too far?
    Last edited by Pink Sweater; 08-09-2007, 11:22 AM.

HUH?? Are you kidding me??

This is Lex ****ing Luthor we're talking about! Never mind all the **** he did to her for the pettiest of reasons, and the lies and murders that resulted from it, This is LEX ****ING LUTHOR!!! Of course Lana was "dead" right (N.P.I.) when she said it.

Any love you think Lex has in him is so twisted and narcissistic it can't be recognized as real love anymore!
    Last edited by dru-zod2501; 08-09-2007, 11:34 AM.

Comment

It's pretty in character for Lana since she said to Clark she never knew how she could have loved him...it's part of her MO.

But it's pretty bold for her, IMO, to make such as assertion since I'm not sure how much Lana understands about love (the part about no condtions).

Oh well, on the flip side I think knew Lex knew he was taking a chance with Lana since she did admit she still had feelings for CK. And maybe at some point for Lex it was all a game and that's pretty much in character for Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by DeesRyche
        But it's pretty bold for her, IMO, to make such as assertion since I'm not sure how much Lana understands about love (the part about no condtions).
        Honestly I think Lana does in fact understand the concept of unconditional love, in spite of the fact that no one has ever shown her any besides her parents.

Though I will say by that logic you could argue, since Lex lost his source of that same love, his mother, just as early as Lana, then it would stand to reason that neither of them would fully understand it.

But Lana's had better examples to fill the void (i.e. Nell and to a much lesser degree Clark) so that's why she's better

Comment

Re: Why would she say that? Poor Lex.

Originally posted by Pink Sweater

Since I think that Lex really does love Lana, just think how much that statement would crush him.

He's not capable of love. He's tried, and failed, several times. He always turns back to the business and money and power, making them more important than his companion.

Comment

"He's not capable of love. He's tried, and failed, several times. He always turns back to the business and money and power, making them more important than his companion."

Exactly. Although I think deep down, he doesn't feel worthy of love, due to his father's neglect of him during his child-hood.

Comment

It's pretty in character for Lana since she said to Clark she never knew how she could have loved him...it's part of her MO.
              Yeah, I agree.

Oh well, on the flip side I think knew Lex knew he was taking a chance with Lana since she did admit she still had feelings for CK. And maybe at some point for Lex it was all a game and that's pretty much in character for Lex.
              Good point.

Originally posted by dru-zod
              Honestly I think Lana does in fact understand the concept of unconditional love, in spite of the fact that no one has ever shown her any besides her parents.
              What about Clark?

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
              He's not capable of love. He's tried, and failed, several times. He always turns back to the business and money and power, making them more important than his companion.
              I know, but he tries. In Lexmas, he chose a life where Lana doesn't die. Now that I think of it, I wonder if he chose it for selfish reasons (doesn't want to lose Lana) or for Lana (so she doesn't die). Perhaps if people didn't already assume the worst of him (Clark, Chloe, Lana), he'd have a chance to redeem himself. Hmmm....

Originally posted by KryptonScouse
              Although I think deep down, he doesn't feel worthy of love, due to his father's neglect of him during his child-hood.
              Awww, yeah. How sad. Poor Lex.
              Last edited by Pink Sweater; 08-09-2007, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Re: Why would she say that? Poor Lex.

I don't think Lex is capable of love. He's obsessed, not in love.
                Did Lex care when he faked Lana's pregnancy and then make her think she had abortion? Didn't Lex go too far?

Comment

Yeah, good point.

But they haven't actually confirmed that Lex was responsible for the fake pregnancy...

Comment

^^
                    True but Lex killed the doctor. It's like confirmation IMO.

Comment

What about Clark?
                      For the longest time Clark was a poor example of the unconditional love. Maybe I'm thinking about it from a different POV, but you can't really love unconditionally while hiding the very essence of who you are from the other person, that proved to me that he was infatuated, but at the end of the day he didn't have any faith in her. and after a few years it started to look like everyone EXCEPT Clark could see how irrational he was being about it

Yeah, good point.

But they haven't actually confirmed that Lex was responsible for the fake pregnancy...
                      then all the skulking, all the manipulation, the murder, what was it all for then I ask?

Comment

Originally posted by dru-zod2501
                        For the longest time Clark was a poor example of the unconditional love. Maybe I'm thinking about it from a different POV, but you can't really love unconditionally while hiding the very essence of who you are from the other person, that trust is a two-way street. and after a few years it started to look like everyone EXCEPT Clark could see how irrational he was being about it
                        I couldn't agree more.

Comment

Well, I think Lex does love Lana, although by his own way, but he really loved her and heīs the bad guy of course, he had to mantain Lana with him by all the ways possible.
                          Also, what qualifies Lana to decide id heīs capable of love or not?
                          if she only loves herself, and everything that matters to her itīs only her and her own personal tragedy.
                          Finally the only incoditional love that exists in the world is the one from the parents, and no one elseīs love , they love us no matter if we change , or if we are good or bad persons, thatīs it.
                          That doesnīt happen with a romantic couple.

Comment

Originally posted by samanta
                            True but Lex killed the doctor. It's like confirmation IMO.
                            Oh yeah, I forgot.

Originally posted by dru-zod2501
                            Maybe I'm thinking about it from a different POV, but you can't really love unconditionally while hiding the very essence of who you are from the other person, that proved to me that he was infatuated, but at the end of the day he didn't have any faith in her.

then all the skulking, all the manipulation, the murder, what was it all for then I ask?
                            True. Good point, dru-zod.

I guess it just bothers me that Lana thinks she knows everything when it comes to love.

I guess the only examples of unconditional love in the show are: the Kents, Chloe (loves Lois as a cousin and Clark) and Lois (loves Chloe as a cousin and Lucy as a sister).
                            Last edited by Pink Sweater; 08-09-2007, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I think lex was, and possibly is very capable of love. It's statements like the one that lana made, and things that his father, Mr.Kent, and Clark have said to him over the years that have pushed him away from his caring relationships. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. The more harsh rejection he gets from those he cares about, and the more he hears that he's turning into his father, the more he will become exactly what everyone thinks he is. It's been a steady progression starting in season one. I think lana should have stopped to think about herself before she made that statement. Is she capable of loving someone, even when she doesn't get the attention she wants from that person. I don't think so. I think she's only capable of caring about herself. That's why she's in the place with lex that she is. She knew what he was all about when she got with him, but he told her what she wanted to hear. There is no doubt in my mind that lex really does love lana, but she got involved with someone who is into things that she doesn't want to be a part of. She should have ended it before it got to the point that it did. He's just being himself, and she's doing what she always tries to do. She's trying to change him into what she wants him to be.

Unconditional love is when you love someone no matter what they do, or no matter who they are underneath. That does not mean that you have to be happy with their actions, or go along with them. It just means that you love them no matter what. It does not mean that you have to go along with them on everything, agree with everything they do, let them get away with doing things that you know are wrong, or even let them go unpunished for doing things that you know are wrong. It just means that at the end of the day, no matter what is going on with you, or them, you still have love in your heart for them.

Many parents confuse unconditional love with unconditional giving making statements like "he just can't behave, that's who he is, we love him, and can't see any good in trying to punish him". Well, if you truly loved him, you'd teach him to behave, and why it is important. Love does not equal blindness to misbehavior, or maladaptive behavior, and it doesn't mean the absence of discipline. Just as I said before, it means having love in your heart, even if you don't show it. So, you can leave someone for good reasons, and still love that person. Your just letting it be known that those actions are unacceptable.

Clark will have love in his heart for lana no matter what happens. Can we say the same for lex, and lana? I don't know.
                              Last edited by Kal26; 08-09-2007, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎