Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The mutant/meteor freak registration act - would you support it ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't vote, because the poll doesn't give the option I want. A flat out no with nothing to do with political correctness.

Forcing people to register means ultimately that you want to be able to control them. And how do you control people for being born with certain genes? Certainly freaks who abuse their powers must be held accountable at law, but that's because of their actions, not their ability.

Comment

...A flat out no with nothing to do with political correctness...
      ...Certainly freaks who...
      Speaking of political correctness, I think you meant meteor-infected, genetically-altered instead of freak...

...who abuse their powers...
      I still disagree. If a meteor-infected, genetically-altered had the power to, say, predict the winning lottery numbers or the power to teleport themselves somewhere, 'normal', close-minded, paranoid people would argue that if the meteor-infected, genetically-altered used those powers of theirs, they'd be abusing their powers by using them to benefit themselves or others.

So, put in your context, abuse would have to be defined. Abuse has two perspectives: the victim(s) and the accused abuser. And (almost) no one sees things exactly the same way so who's definition would be right? The majority? The minority?

No, it is much easier to to put it in very simple context: If they are not causing physiological, emotional, mental or spiritual trauma to another human (and I know that those are shifty words as well), then there shouldn't be a registration act that they'd have to register with. This is not to say that there shouldn't be consequences for law-breaking meteor-infected, genetically-altered, just that they shouldn't be required to have that 'stamp' on their forhead anymore than the average Joe Criminal.

Comment

^LOL!

Yes, calling them freaks certainly was politically incorrect of me.

I think we are in agreement when you realise that by abuse, I meant that they committed a crime. They stole, they assaulted, they blackmailed. Whatever. And for their crime, they should face the legal system with all its checks and balances. Not because of their abilities, but for what they choose to DO with their abilities. Its all about the rule of law.

Comment

...They stole, they assaulted, they blackmailed. Whatever. And for their crime...
          We are not in agreement. You just generalize every crime as being an abuse for which Meteor-infected, genetically-altered persons would have to get put on a Registration List....

A lot of people steal. Kids steal, adults steal. Boys steal, girls steal. Almost without question, over ninety percent of all theft goes unreported and the theives that do get reported and caught, you won't find their names on some long, drawn-out compiled list. I am not debating that there shouldn't be punishments for the theft but rather instead that that isn't causer to put Meteor-infected, genetically-altered persons on a Registration list when 'normal' people who do the same aren't.

As I stated above, unless the Meteor-infected, genetically-altered persons are causing physiological, emotional, mental or spiritual trauma to another human (and I know that those are shifty words as well), there shouldn't be some list their names are required to be on based on their (paranormal) abilities.

Comment

Good guys, I like the arguments here.

Let us assume that SOME freaks have indeed abused their powers, and have caused "normals" harm, have caused many deaths with the use of their powers.

THEN what do you do ?

I do not see a way out that is fair to both normals and feaks.
            If we require freaks to be registered, then its not fair to them.
            On the other hand, when normal people get on a plane with a freak, they are TRUSTING their lives to the freak. And they dont accord that trust to any normal.

If their was a possibility of a person like Milton Fine to be on a plane, would you not want to prevent it ?

Comment

Good guys, I like the arguments here.
              Really? It comes across, to me, as if you're just trying to sniff around and find others who will suppor your discriminatory act towards people possessing different abilities or genetic codings...

Let us assume that SOME freaks have indeed abused their powers, and have caused "normals" harm, have caused many deaths with the use of their powers.
              Why assume something that hasn't happened yet? Assumptions lead to false beliefs, discrimination and persecution. Look at the world's history. We assumed, at least here in the Americas once upon a time, that dark skinned people were not as valuable or intelligent as caucasian people. That led to slavery. Good show, mates. We also assumed every Japanese person in the U.S. just had to have been 'in on' Pearl Harbor. That lead to the relocation camps. We also assumed that every Middle-Eastern American just had to have played a part in 9-11-01 and that led to discrimination (which can arguably be said to still exist). So... Assumptions - not so much a good thing.

THEN what do you do ?
              Personally, I ten proceed to state my opinion that this entire thread began as a way for you to express your concern or fear of people with different abilities than you. If you were really concerned about safety, you'd have brought up the fact that a Navy SEAL or a Marina Commando could easily cause serious damage and death aboard a plan - with their bare hands. So shouldn't they have to be part of a Registration Act too, for the 'safety' of the public?

I do not see a way out that is fair to both normals and feaks.
              Meteor-infected, genetically-altered person(s)! The continued 'freak' slur remains politically incorrect and, as far as I'd be concerned, an offensive term.

If we require Meteor-infected, genetically-altered person(s) to be registered, then it's not fair to them. On the other hand, when normal people get on a plane with a freak, they are TRUSTING their lives to the freak. And they dont accord that trust to any normal.
              People trust others on a daily basis. When people drive, they trust others to not hit them out on the road. When they go into stores, they trust that it won't be held up and that they won't be shot while they're there. When they buy food, they trust the people who inspected it and the people who prepared it. Just stepping outside their homes is an act of trust, which has nothing to do with 'powers'. The trust of a person shouldn't be based on powers, it should be based on the person.

If there was the possibility of a person, like Milton Fine, to be on a plane, wouldn't you want to prevent it?
              Milton Fine was never a person - He was a Brain Reconstructive Artificial Interactive something something something. Whatever. He was a machine with artificial intelligence, an object without morals or values, without emotions or the ability to understand the concepts about life's meaning. With that said, I'd do what I could to prevent something like Milton Fine from getting on the plane but that's because of its deeds. When Milton Fine was just a professor at college, teaching history, I actually liked it and thought it had a lot of truth in some of its lessons (for an example, refer to the lesson on Ceasar and Brutus and Clark and Lex). At that point in time, I wouldn't have minded having Milton Fine on a plane with me.

It's the deeds that define a person, not their abilities. To want to discriminate and persecute and cause mass fear about such is nothing short of racism and personal fear and the cause of much suffering throughout human history. Reportedly, sickness has been or is the biggest source of pain for people but I disagree. Racism and ignorance cause more pain than any amount of cancer or lekumia or even STDs could.
              Last edited by thebog1; 05-04-2007, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thebog1
                Really? It comes across, to me, as if you're just trying to sniff around and find others who will suppor your discriminatory act towards people possessing different abilities or genetic codings...
                It is discriminatory, and I have no doubt that the act will be passed if the situation existed in the real world, but I'm trying to point out that its not an unreasonableviewpoint to have.

Why assume something that hasn't happened yet?
                Sorry, I come from a science background.
                When I say assume, I mean consider a scenario in which ....
                or phrased differently, "what would you do if ...."

The other "assume" meaning that you used is like "had an opinion", eg "had an opinion that blacks were less intelligent".

I am NOT saying MIGAPs (Meteor-infected, genetically-altered persons) are more evil, or have less of a moral compass than the normals; or have less of a value to the benifit of mankind. If anything, I believe they would be immensely useful to improve the human state.

Personally, I ten proceed to state my opinion that this entire thread began as a way for you to express your concern or fear of people with different abilities than you. If you were really concerned about safety, you'd have brought up the fact that a Navy SEAL or a Marina Commando could easily cause serious damage and death aboard a plan - with their bare hands. So shouldn't they have to be part of a Registration Act too, for the 'safety' of the public?
                A comando will not be able to bring down the plane with his bare hands. He will not be able to control the pilots mind to crash the plane into a high rise.

People trust others on a daily basis. When people drive, they trust others to not hit them out on the road. When they go into stores, they trust that it won't be held up and that they won't be shot while they're there.
                That trust is reciprocated. Other people on the road also trust you wont hit them. Many states allow people to carry guns.
                Moreover, that "trust" is earned, and documented, drivers liscences, gun registrations, background checks.

When a normal person boards a plane, he is NOT trusted to be in possesion of a weapon and not harm other people.
                That normal person should not be expected to trust a MIGAP to not use powers either.

It's the deeds that define a person, not their abilities. To want to discriminate and persecute and cause mass fear about such is nothing short of racism and personal fear and the cause of much suffering throughout human history.
                Its not always black and white. I'm strongly against discrimination based on color, religion, sexual orientation etc.
                But I submit MIGAPs fall into a different category.
                Color cant cause destruction.
                Religion by itself cant cause destruction.
                Being gay does not kill anyone.

MIGAP powers on the otherhand....
                Last edited by wearetheborg; 05-13-2007, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎