No announcement yet.

Lex Luthor is NOT evil

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silverfist
    Thanks. Well I guess this could be viewed in different ways, but in my opinion...the moment when Lex raised his fist for the last time and looked at the bloody face infront of him for some seconds, he started to realise what he was actually doing. He was actually on the way of beating this man to his death.

But this had been his choise and now he had to finish what he had to do. He was at the point of no return. The wedding was not far off and he simply could not let this man run loose now after he had denied his offer. He had no time to tie up the loose ends which he had just created without getting blood on his hands.

Even though he wouldn't have wanted it all to end up like this, he had to pick Lana and their life together before the doctor's. "I won't let you take her away from me"

So Lex had his fist raised...and...the doctor dropped to the floor, conveniently getting his head knocked in a stone. Lex instantly knew that it was over. He had now truly started to walk down his destined path and was shocked and horrified obviously. But at the same time he was also relieved at the fact that the doctor had fallen down in that way, since it meant no more mess to deal with. He suddenly realised that he had to get rid of the body though, and did his best to hide it with the little time he had left before the wedding.

I guess it's all about the situation. If the doctor had threatened Lex with the same thing let's say 2 days earlier, Lex could have figured out a way to get him out of the way nice and easily, perhaps locking him up somewhere. But because of the time pressure that he felt when the dilemma was presented to him, he had to act on his own.
    Very good points. Now I understand. I just don't get; do you remember the look on Lex's face when he told Lionel it was an accident? It looked liked he sort of felt bad about what he did, or that it really was an accident. What do you think?

Comment

Lex can have guilt and feel remorse afterwards even though he had intent at the time. I'm sure he'd have prefered never experiencing the choices he had to make. He clearly didn't seek out to kill the doc rather it was a unfortunate decision he was trapped into. Lex didn't want the doc dead, he felt presured into killing or you can view it as momentary insanity that made him kill. Either way, he killed, even if it wasn't what he wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Heilige
        Those were very good points. If that's the case, why did Lex look surprised and like he was about to cry after the doctor died?

His intent was to kill him like you said?
        Agreed, Lex did not intend to kill the doc in a cold ruthless sense, he just lost control.
        If Lex had been thinking straight, he would have threatened the doctor instead, Lex can be very menacing when he wants to. Punching a guy to death, that is SO not typical Lex.

Also, there is no way the doctor would have revealed Lex's deception to Lana. Think about it, once that fact is out, the doc has no power over Lex. And the doc knew Lex would hunt him down and make him pay so much that he would wish for death. All he wanted was some money.

Lex has many men working under him on "questionable" projects. He would not hire them unless he could make sure that he had some serious leverage on them, eg, he could threaten to harm their family if the need arose.

Originally posted by silverfist
        Well you say that evil is in the eye of the beholder. And I agree with that statement. It's obvious that no country, person or whatever sees themselves as "evil". Yet people use the term to describe others.

But I don't agree with your topic title since it clearly states: "Lex Luthor is NOT evil". Let's look up what the word "evil" means anyway.

evil
        1. Morally bad or wrong; wicked: an evil tyrant.
        2. Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful: the evil effects of a poor diet.
        3. Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous: evil omens.
        4. Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous: an evil reputation.
        5. Characterized by anger or spite; malicious: an evil temper.

Lex has all these things in him in my opinion. And even though you may personally not think it's morally wrong to for example imprison and cause damage to innocent people for the "right" causes, there are others who would disagree. So it doesn't matter. Opinions differs. But I dare to claim that you're in a minority on this one if we're judging Lex's character by the definitions above.
        I agree 100%
        Well said.
        Last edited by wearetheborg; 05-11-2007, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wearetheborg
          Also, there is no way the doctor would have revealed Lex's deception to Lana. Think about it, once that fact is out, the doc has no power over Lex. And the doc knew Lex would hunt him down and make him pay so much that he would wish for death. All he wanted was some money.
          I don't agree with this at all. If the doc wasn't going to reveal to Lana what Lex had done, he wouldn't have met him at the church where Lana was. I definitely believe the doc would have revealed if he had survived. Yes money was more on his mind, but if he couldn't have money, he could have peace of mind regarding Lana.

Comment

I was watching the episode "Zod" again, and OMG, Zod was such a badass. Inspite of Lex's best efforts to thwart Fine, Zod just took over Lex's body, like Lex was a lab rat. He nearly annihilated the world, noone (human) could stand up to him,

Then, as far as Lex know, Zod just vanished.

This must have been a real scary thing for Lex, to realise that he has absolutely no power compared to a being like Zod, that we was just a lab rat to the kryptonians.

I think this is why Lex has gone on a major power hunt this season. He is hurting people, but as far as he is concerned, that is a lesser evil than Zod. Lex is scared.

Comment

I don't care of Lex is scared, he has no right to hurt people and imprison them and experiment on them and use them to do murder and such for him. That is just straight up evil and it doesn't matter if he believes the end result protects humanity. That is a delusion he has created to live with what he's done.

Comment

"Regarding "Withholding information that can help save countless lives", Clark is gulty of the same thing. His blood has rejuvenating properties, and he hasnt come forward."

True, but the reasoning is a bit different. Clark withholding that information is because he needs to continue to be able to save people the way he's been doing, without the government or people like Lex trying to experiment on him. If he came forward about the blood, he may be captured and experimented on (although, personally, I think he could find a way to donate without it being traced back to him by making it anonymous, but that's another issue).

"Regarding Lex sending meteor freaks after the Kents, aliens had just landed a while ago, and they mysteriously disappeared. If this happened in the real world, you're kidding yourself if you think the govts would not do worse things to get more information."

Maybe so, but Lex has been a close friend of the Kents for years. Would you do something like that to a friend that you cared about? Just because the government would do it doesn't make it right.

"The Lex in "Superman Returns" was evil - he was willing to kill millions of people for pure financial gain. This is not the Lex we're seeing here.
                The Lex in smallville is willing to take a bullet (for Lana), and to volunteer as a guniea pig for experiments (when that gas leaked out).""

True. This Lex is not the one of Superman Returns...although I find it intriguing that even that Lex had his own twisted justifications-he saw himself as Prometheus, bringing fire to the people...but yeah, he did not seem to have much justification beyond that, and did not seem to believe that what he was doing was right as much as the Lex of "Smallville" does.

"I was watching the episode "Zod" again, and OMG, Zod was such a badass. Inspite of Lex's best efforts to thwart Fine, Zod just took over Lex's body, like Lex was a lab rat. He nearly annihilated the world, noone (human) could stand up to him,

Then, as far as Lex know, Zod just vanished.

This must have been a real scary thing for Lex, to realise that he has absolutely no power compared to a being like Zod, that we was just a lab rat to the kryptonians.

I think this is why Lex has gone on a major power hunt this season. He is hurting people, but as far as he is concerned, that is a lesser evil than Zod. Lex is scared."

I have to agree with this theory, even though I don't think it justifies what Lex does. Lex sees himself as protecting humanity. But I wonder, though, what does Lex think is in it for him? He's never regarded himself as a savior before. Perhaps now that the Zod experience happened, it's just that lack of control that he feels that makes him want to be the world's "protector". Since he was a child, he has been a victim, never having control of the situation. Lionel always had the upper hand, as did the other people in his life who betrayed and lied to him. Maybe, psychologically, he needs to try to "protect" the world in order to feel in control.

But then, because Lex has been raised the way he has, and because of his experiences, he has this twisted way of going about it. He no longer believes in helping the world the way he once did-without hurting people. Now, he thinks that if someone stands in the way, they just need to be eliminated. That is the thinking of many dictators, as well as infamous villains like Rhas Al Ghul ("Batman Begins"). It's certainly a cynical and harsh way of thinking. Is it evil? Personally, I say that when you start hurting so many people and taking lives, it doesn't matter what your reasons are-it's pretty much "evil."

Take a look at peace-makers like Martin Luther King Jr., or, even if you're not religious, Jesus Christ. These men believed in a cause, and they changed the world because of their belief, but they did so without violence. The greatest leaders do it that way, and that is what Lex needs to learn. Tragically, though, he never will.
                Last edited by MozartRequiem; 06-28-2007, 10:51 PM.

Comment

wearetheborg, sounds to me like you're kinda evil

the thing is no one who's evil thinks they're are evil. lex convinces himself he's doing the right thing when he is in fact driven by his insatiable quest for power over his fellow man. taking the law into your own hands leads to a slippery slope and does not excuse abhorent human experimentation and your own guantanamo style krypto-prison along with the other countless morally repugnant activities lex has been guitly of other the years. he is an obsessive man who has fallen from grace onto a dark path from which it is difficult to return, thus lex IS evil
                  Last edited by Stu.Kent; 09-27-2008, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎