Television Ratings for Progeny

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

That may be the case that satellite providers don't allow ratings detection, but it doesn't matter.

All networks face that same issue and it would affect them all the same.

What matters is that all networks are playing by the same rules and that seemingly is the case.

Comment

I think one of the big factors of low ratings could be FOX's Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader. The break could factor in as well. I hope Nemesis does better. Will there be any pre-emptions?

Comment

Thursday Finals

Smallville
        - 3.976 million viewers
        - 2.4/4 HH
        - 1.7/5 A18-49
        - 1.9/7 A18-34

Supernatural
        - 3.251 million viewers
        - 1.9/3 HH
        - 1.3/3 A18-49
        - 1.4/4 A18-34

Season 6 Episode Viewership

Zod......................4.96*
        Sneeze.................4.52*
        Wither..................4.88*
        Arrow...................4.71*
        Reunion...............4.79*
        Fallout.................5.01*
        Rage...................4.46*
        Static...................4.70*
        Subterranean........4.31*
        Hydro..................4.68*
        Justice.................5.26*
        Labyrinth..............5.00*
        Crimson.................4.91*
        Trespass...............4.74*
        Freak....................4.76*
        Promise................4.69*
        Combat................4.07*
        Progeny...............3.98*

* - Final Rating

Here are some more finals if you're interested:

Survivor
        - 13.331 million viewers
        - 8.1/14 HH
        - 4.5/13 A18-49

5th Grader
        - 10.104 million viewers
        - 6.0/10 HH
        - 3.3/10 A18-49

Ugly Betty
        - 9.456 million viewers
        - 6.6/11 HH
        - 3.0/9 A18-49

My Name is Earl
        - 7.155 million viewers
        - 4.6/8 HH
        - 3.0/10 A18-49

Grey's Anatomy
        - 21.125 million viewers
        - 13.7/21 HH
        - 8.7/23 A18-49

30 Rock
        - 5.158 million viewers
        - 3.3/5 HH
        - 2.5/7 A18-49

Scrubs
        - 5.615 million viewers
        - 3.6/6 HH
        - 2.9/7 A18-49

Shark
        - 12.544 million viewers
        - 8.5/14 HH
        - 3.0/9 A18-49

October Road
        - 9.603 million viewers
        - 6.5/11 HH
        - 4.1/12 A18-49

ER
        - 9.313 million viewers
        - 6.2/11 HH
        - 3.8/11 A18-49
        Last edited by Best Episode - 321; 04-20-2007, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Wow.

What happened?

Seriously, this episode had alot of promotions including the ones Kreukie mentioned. I actually thought it would do well since CW's demographics are mostly women and the episode was geared towards that demos.... Mothers and daughter, it was something women can relate to.

I can't believe its lower than Subterranean and that had no big names attached to it. Maybe the internet fans are the only ones who watched. LOL. JK

Comment

^^I thought so too...isn't this a chloe-centered episode? And being exposed from this forum, I thought that chloe brought in the ratings? I am so confused now...
            Last edited by CLANA the GREAT; 04-20-2007, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreukie
              Yeah, I was watching TheCW at night I believe it was Tuesday and saw the trailer about three different times in the span of an hour and 30 minutes.

Also the episode was promoted on TV Guide's main page and on Yahoo!TV.

That's more then the average Smallville episode ever gets.

Also the actress who played Chloe's mother was also interviewed by TV Guide.
              I don't know where you live that they played the commercial so much, but here in Boston I only saw like 3 commercials during the entire hiatus. I remember with Promise - they released the 10 second teaser immediately - at the beginning of the break, and played it continuously throughout. In fact, I lost count of how many times I saw it. And each new week, a slightly longer version of the commercial came out - there were 4 versions of the commercial by the time it aired, and the Director's Cuts were released well in advance of the show airing. I know this because I hosted all these various promos on my YouTube page. But with Progeny, the DCs and a few advanced scenes came out only a day before the episode aired - that's not nearly enough time for word-of-mouth enthusiasm to spread, so only the hardcore dedicated online fans (who were likely to watch anyway) were privy to these promotions. Truth be told Progeny was a horribly promoted episode, as evidenced by the fact that many people were complaining about the lack of promotion (here, TWOP, SDKs blog, etc) during the entire hiatus.

^^I thought so too...isn't this a chloe-centered episode? And being exposed from this forum, I thought that chloe brought in the ratings? I am so confused now...
              They do - when they are adequately promoted. But I guess the ultimate test of this theory will be next season, when Lana's not even on the show (and it's going to be so much more peaceful around here).

Comment

Progeny...............3.98*
                Ouch. I hope that the ratings for the next episode will be better.

Comment

Wow, numbers below 4 sure do look depressing....

Comment

well I guess it was to be expected

sports + hiatus + chloe = bad ratings

Comment

Originally posted by khufu

They do - when they are adequately promoted. But I guess the ultimate test of this theory will be next season, when Lana's not even on the show (and it's going to be so much more peaceful around here).
                      I thought it was adequately promoted...Progeny was featured on TVguide. Lynda Carter was also interviewed. Secondly, it was also featured on EW magazine and YahooTV. And that's not enough promotion? Then I don't know what is?

Comment

Originally posted by CLANA the GREAT
                        I thought it was adequately promoted...Progeny was featured on TVguide. Lynda Carter was also interviewed. Secondly, it was also featured on EW magazine and YahooTV. And that's not enough promotion? Then I don't know what is?
                        That's why I'm confused with the "Not enough promotions" responds I'm reading.

For me this episode was promoted enough for an episode that the A and B plot had nothing indirectly to do with Clark.

The trailer that was released last week didn't even have Clark in the trailer. All the promotes either had to do with Chloe or the actress that played her mother.

khufu did you have the TV on TheCW through the whole hiatus?

Because if you did, I'll take your word for it that the episode wasn't promoted enough for an episode that had (again) NOTHING indirectly to do with Clark.

That night I saw the trailer featured about three times along with the Supernatural trailer.

For an episode that had no A or B plot for Clark, I thought it was promoted pretty darn good! TV Guide, Yahoo.com, Entertainment Weekly that's more then the average Smallville episode ever gets!

Also Promise was an episode about Lex/Lana/Clark, it focus on those three characters, those are the three MAIN characters within the series. The episode also had huge events within it -- Lex/Lana's wedding and Lana finding out the truth about Clark. So of course TPTB were gonna promote it a lot!

Last night's episode had mainly to do with Chloe, that's ONE supporting character within the series. So why exactly did TheCW have to over promote that episode like they did Promise? Because it's Chloe, one character?

Again, even with that, last night's episode got featured in TV Guide, Yahoo! and Entertainment Weekly!

This wouldn't be the first Smallville episode to do below 4 million, so donno why people are making it such a big deal out of it.
                        Last edited by Kreukie; 04-20-2007, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I've yet to figure out why people claiming lack of promotion haven't read the first reply in this thread. It was pre-empted in Chicago and apparently San Antonio as well. It doesn't matter how much they promoted it or how good it was, they lost two markets. It was expected to be low in the ratings from the very beginning if you read the thread, at least.

Comment

MidgardDragon, it was a mistake it was only pre empted in Chicage, my fault.

But honestly, lack of promotion does have something to do with it. I've seen alot of ppl saying that they didn't even know a new episode aired and was told by someone else that there was.

I kept my station on CW through the hiatus and I've seen at least 15 maybe a little more trailers for the episode starting Monday. When the first trailer for the episode aired I didn't see it again til Monday night.

Promise was promoted in magazines as well as Progeny, the difference though was Promise was heavily promoted on air where I was seeing a trailer for it damn near every two- three hours since the hiatus from "Freak". Where with "Progeny" they only really started playing the trailers on the start of the work week.

Comment

Meh, who cares about ratings now. They are only important in helping network executives decide whether a show should be moved, canned, shark-jumped, etc, etc. We pretty much now know that next season will be the last.

I, for one, am not going to mope over declining ratings and am going to savour every minute of the last 26 episodes of this brilliant series.

Comment

Originally posted by lillie_poo_pod
                                MidgardDragon, it was a mistake it was only pre empted in Chicage, my fault.

But honestly, lack of promotion does have something to do with it. I've seen alot of ppl saying that they didn't even know a new episode aired and was told by someone else that there was.

I kept my station on CW through the hiatus and I've seen at least 15 maybe a little more trailers for the episode starting Monday. When the first trailer for the episode aired I didn't see it again til Monday night.

Promise was promoted in magazines as well as Progeny, the difference though was Promise was heavily promoted on air where I was seeing a trailer for it damn near every two- three hours since the hiatus from "Freak". Where with "Progeny" they only really started playing the trailers on the start of the work week.
                                People not knowing there was a new episode has a lot more to do with the crazy hiatuses that they keep putting Smallville through. I know others like me that no longer watch The CW for anything but Smallville and if they don't read the websites then they'd have no way to know there was a new episode even if they promoted the heck out of it. Not that they gave it an extreme amount of promotion, but they gave it an adequate amount for sure.

Losing a market + coming back from hiatus = ratings dropping. Smallville has been better about promotion the past couple of seasons so let's give credit when it's due and not blame the wrong thing for a ratings decrease. If you want to complain about something complain about the crazy hiatuses and pre-emptions.

But hey, at least we don't have any idiots cheering because this is the worst rated episode of the season. I couldn't stomach reading the Ratings thread for Combat after a bunch of losers started cheering on low ratings.

Originally posted by skully
                                Meh, who cares about ratings now. They are only important in helping network executives decide whether a show should be moved, canned, shark-jumped, etc, etc. We pretty much now know that next season will be the last.

I, for one, am not going to mope over declining ratings and am going to savour every minute of the last 26 episodes of this brilliant series.
                                If only more thought like you, the world would be a better place. I, personally, agree. But it does get annoying to see the same things repeated and people continuing to think one factor alone effects ratings from week-to-week.
                                Last edited by MidgardDragon; 04-21-2007, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎