Ratings for 'Trespass'

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

All thanks to the powerhouse that was 'Justice' and the well written episodes that followed. Still think we could ahve done better.

And people still watch Survivor?

Comment

thats pretty good considering the promotion for this episode
      What does that mean, exactly? I always have The CW on the TV for background noise, and the Trespass trailer was played SO MUCH more than the trailer for Justice or Labyrinth.

monstra, you yourself said last week that since the trailer was focused on your ship, that we would see the ratings go significantly up. Now you're saying that they didn't go up because the trailer wasn't shown enough? Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribe
        Look the episode wasn't that good. Lana in trouble has been done to death. The only way they could even remotely interest the audience was to imply that Lana might find out the truth about Clark. Other than that, there was very little to recommend it. Frankly the Clana thing is what's driving this show down. The viewers they got when this show first started have had six years of watching this ship see saw up and down. They've also grown older and have engaged in adult relationships which make what's going on between Lana and Clark ridiculous. The newer audience can't get into it because they don't have the history and might be why they like the Chlark and the Clois thing so much more, because that has the chance of developing into something as opposed to stagnating like Clana.
        Agreed. When a person watched the trailers, it was obvious that this was going to be a generic "Lana has a stalker" episode. It had "filler" written all over it. And as for the Clana stuff -- yeah, there are Clana fans out there that watch only for Clana. But they don't exceed the number of fans who stop watching because of Clana. The figures for "Trespass" tell us at least that much.

However, I still think that ratings have nothing to do with ships. I think it all comes down to the plot -- viewers decide if they think the episode is going to be boring or kind of different. I, for one, usually try to watch SV as soon as possible after I've TiVo'd it. However, this time around, I didn't really care when I watched it and waited a day. If I didn't have TiVo, I probably wouldn't have watched it at all (as it was, I did forward through a lot of it).

I also think that mythos-related episodes get a ratings spike for "SV" because they get promoted by mainstream media a lot more. (Like MM in "Labyrinth", the GA arc, and the Justice League episode. I also think that "Crimson" got a lot of attention in mainstream media because of the Clark/Lois angle that hadn't been explored before.)

Comment

I don't agree with what people are saying is causing the rise in ratings in the second half of episodes. Without more information, how could we know. With Crimson, for all we know people who were watching the first half, told those who weren't watching that serious Clois action was happening. More people tuned in to see it and got... Clana. Or maybe people who were watching told those who weren't that Clark did a superjump and that meant he's use more powers. More people tuned in to see it and got... Clana. Or maybe people watching said that Clana was coming up. People tuned in to see it and got... Clana. The point is, we don't know for sure what causes them jump. Some are saying that it always happens, that would indicate that no relationship has any impact on the jump. The one thing that I do notice, is that Justice got the best ratings, which could very well mean that action/mythos related episodes bring in the big ratings. I know they appeal to me.

Comment

It's simple as this. Smallville is in it's 6th season and NO SHOW will retain their original core audience this late in the game as the premise begins to get stale. The remaining CORE Smallville audience will watch the show regardless so therefore the ratings will fluctuate around the same average numer. The fluctuations are most likely caused by a combination of new viewers and non-core Smallville fans that are drawn by advertisement, but will only affect the ratings slightly, for example, the rise for Justice. Strong episodes will keep some of these non-core viewers around for a new episode, but if the new one is not strong some of the returning viewers will leave causing a gradual return to the CORE number. Sometimes some core viewers will get disgusted with a poor episode and maybe not watch causing the ratings to go below the CORE number, but will return when they learn of a favorable episode causing the number to return to CORE levels.

There are SO MANY fandoms and preferences for a this show so it is practically impossible to say that a singular preference is what causes most ratings fluctuation. What CAN be said is that well-written stories, continuity, and plot that can appeal to as many people as possible will stablize ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by sstray72
              There are SO MANY fandoms and preferences for a this show so it is practically impossible to say that a singular preference is what causes most ratings fluctuation. What CAN be said is that well-written stories, continuity, and plot that can appeal to as many people as possible will stablize ratings.
              Agree 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Routh
                What does that mean, exactly? I always have The CW on the TV for background noise, and the Trespass trailer was played SO MUCH more than the trailer for Justice or Labyrinth.

monstra, you yourself said last week that since the trailer was focused on your ship, that we would see the ratings go significantly up. Now you're saying that they didn't go up because the trailer wasn't shown enough? Hmm.
                When did I say this? I really can't remember so if you could quote me from the post where I said this..

I never said the trailer wasn't shown enough, what I said was the trailer was weak in terms of storyline, it was creepy and It showed us nothing in concrete. That's what Im saying. Comparing this trailer to the trailers from the last episodes this was the weakest one. And c'mon, we've had all this buzz around justice and crimson for a long time now, you can't be serious when you say there was that much expectation for Trespass too.

Point is, overnights were the same, and that's what matters when it comes to advertising.. I'd think that losing 180,000 to survivor wasn't that bad.

We'll see how ratings go next week, since IMO the trailer was weak too, and I have no interest whatsoever in the episode.
                Last edited by monstra; 02-10-2007, 02:16 PM.

Comment

The episode was weak as well.

eta:

The trailer for next weeks episode just looked freaky to me.
                  Last edited by Sk8erGur1; 02-10-2007, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I agree.

It was an overused storyline that we've seen over and over again for years. I did like the episode but I dislike recycled (sp) plots too.

And even if this episode had gotten 6 million viewers, the people from Ksite would still not face the fact that the casual viewer *doesnt* hate Clana and that the world doesnt revolve around the Clana hate at this site.

Comment

No one can say what the 'casual' viewer likes or dislikes without an UNBIASED i.e. scientific poll. I know at least 3 casual/infrequent viewers who loathe Lana/Clana, but I cannot infer that Clana hate is the norm based on that.

Comment

Originally posted by monstra
                        I agree.

It was an overused storyline that we've seen over and over again for years. I did like the episode but I dislike recycled (sp) plots too.

And even if this episode had gotten 6 million viewers, the people from Ksite would still not face the fact that the casual viewer *doesnt* hate Clana and that the world doesnt revolve around the Clana hate at this site.
                        No, your assuming that we're saying that the casual viewer hates Clana. What we are saying is that your wrong for saying that 'clark and lana brings in ratings' when this is hard to determine if this is true with so many factors into play.

If anything, you the one implying that *noone* watches for anything but Clark and Lana more or less.

The world doesn't revolve around around Clark and Lana, either, dude.
                        Last edited by Sk8erGur1; 02-10-2007, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Just like I can tell you I know people who like Clana, Im not saying I know exactly what the casual viewer wants to see, but you just gotta look at the numbers to get an idea as to what people like and don't like.

For example, you can't say everyone loves Lexana when the numbers don't reflect that, having the lowest rated episode being Lexana centered two years in a row says a lot IMO.

Okay then, Season 5 numbers were all about Brainiac, that's what got the good ratings, cuz you know how every woman in america is a Comic fan, when I see a show that's just what im looking for, to hell with romance and the relationships in the show! This discussion is pointless.
                          Last edited by monstra; 02-10-2007, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Just like I can tell you I know people who like Clana, Im not saying I know exactly what the casual viewer wants to see, but you just gotta look at the numbers to get an idea as to what people like and don't like.

For example, you can't say everyone loves Lexana when the numbers don't reflect that, having the lowest rated episode being Lexana centered two years in a row says a lot IMO.
                            If you are referring to ratings as numbers, you are missing the primary objection I posed. Ratings are NOT reflective of casual viewers. The ONLY way to get an accurate account of the average viewer's interests is by a scientific poll.

Comment

Okay then, Season 5 numbers were all about Brainiac, that's what got the good ratings, cuz you know how every woman in america is a Comic fan, when I see a show that's just what im looking for, to hell with romance and the relationships in the show! This discussion is pointless.

It isn't pointless... some people just have an unbiased, less frustrating view of things.

Comment

Pretty good considering it was all Clana-like.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎