No announcement yet.

Ep. 2.13 - Houses of the Holy

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Welling_is_pretty
    Apparently I am in the minority here because except for the whole opening stuff with Dean and Sam and the bed and the unicorns I thought this episode was pretty boring, predictable and lame.
    yeah, it was kinda, but it was still good, not best but still good it was intresting to say the least.

But first let me get this out of the way:
    Sam looked so adorably hot in those white scrubs!!!!

*coughs* ok, hormonal moment over. *coughs again*

It was obvious from the get go that:
    1.) it was not going to be a real angel
    2.) Sam was going to end up seeing said 'angel'
    3.) Sam would once again do the emo trying to be good cause my destiny says I'll be bad redepmtion thing, which I am already SO TIRED of.
    4.) Dean would not believe and it would be tied to Mama Winchester's death (although that bit about her last words to him was new and creative and clever. We don't get enough mention of Mama Winchester to my mind. We know so little about her. At least she gets mentioned more often than Lara on Smallville! )
    5.) Sam would have a crisis of faith.
    6.) Dean would be 'touched by an angel' or have a bit of a turnabout on his skepticism.
    well, uh, or course. but i kinda expected that.

[QUOTE]
    I spent most of the episode going "called it". It bored me. That has never happened to me watching Supernatural before. I pray (heh) it never happens again.

Oh and one other thing bugged me.
    The boys know a LOT about demons right? So they should know a lot about the other side, shouldn't they? Certainly Sam should have already known all that stuff about Michael and that humans cannot be angels.
    [/QUOTE

well, can't someone know alot about mulitipication, but not divesion? the only side they knew was the demons and stuff, they had nothing 'bout the angels and God and such.

It just...wasn't a good episode to me (and I went in with low expectations--it seemed too much like Faith from Season 1, which I didn't like [and did you notice that we seem to have this new arrangement of doing one 'spiritual' episode per season? I'm not saying it's bad, just interesting pattern.]).
    yeah, probably just once a season would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Welling_is_pretty

I spent most of the episode going "called it". It bored me. That has never happened to me watching Supernatural before. I pray (heh) it never happens again.

Oh and one other thing bugged me.
      The boys know a LOT about demons right? So they should know a lot about the other side, shouldn't they? Certainly Sam should have already known all that stuff about Michael and that humans cannot be angels.

It just...wasn't a good episode to me (and I went in with low expectations--it seemed too much like Faith from Season 1, which I didn't like [and did you notice that we seem to have this new arrangement of doing one 'spiritual' episode per season? I'm not saying it's bad, just interesting pattern.]).
      Actually I agree with you on the predictability thing, and yeah once again the hunt kinda sucked but i liked it cause i think it was a pretty good emotional episode. I also agree with you about the boys not knowing the other stuff, i've found that off too but I didn't think it was like Faith, i felt like the message was a different one though both had religion in it and someone who was causing death thinking it's the right thing. I felt like the mood was different, plus this episode made me way more uncomfortable than Faith did, which means it's probably much more religious.

And i liked Nightshifter too, but only because i thought the Mandroid dude and the annoying girl in the vault was really funny.
      Last edited by Daddylion; 02-04-2007, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chlarkerlover
        well, can't someone know alot about mulitipication, but not divesion? the only side they knew was the demons and stuff, they had nothing 'bout the angels and God and such.
        yeah, but I can't see Papa Winchester teaching them all the bad stuff and not the good. After all they know how to speak latin and do exorcisms. Papa Bear taught them that. And while I could see John shying away from all that (now there's someone whose faith pretty much evaporated after mary's death!) I think he would also teach them the stuff they would need to know to fight the forces of evil.
        John's obsessive like that. Whoops, I mean was. (sorry, Lee!)

Originally posted by Daddylion

And i liked Nightshifter too, but only because i thought the Mandroid dude and the annoying girl in the vault was really funny.
        OH the mandroid and the girl in the vault made that episode!

Comment

I agree, they definitely made that episode.

Comment

btw, did anyone notice how they kinda recycled the hotel room from Phantom Traveller into the one used in this? I don't know if that was on purpose (to underscore that the boys stay in hotel rooms that are all pretty much alike most of the time) or something else. But that scene where Sam comes in and finds dean on the bed, he comes around a partition that looks a LOT like the one from Phantom Traveller (minus the suggestive art).

Comment

haha i'm sure they re-use the hotels rooms all of the time. its prob one studio, and they just redecorate it once in a while. it doesn't really matter, considering there's only 1 scene in it an episode usually.

Comment

Yeah i think it's probably the same set they redecorated.

Comment

Originally posted by i love u tom
                  haha i'm sure they re-use the hotels rooms all of the time. its prob one studio, and they just redecorate it once in a while. it doesn't really matter, considering there's only 1 scene in it an episode usually.
                  yeah, it's just they've never been that blatant about it before. I mean, usually they change it up to make it look completely different but this time all they did was add naked women to it.
                  Wonder if the set budget that week was low? Or maybe they ran out of time?

Kripke: "We need a hotel room made up fast!"
                  Set designer (who I'm sure has a name and I should probably know it but I don't): "But we're so close to air date. I canna dew it Captain!"
                  Kripke: "Then use the old set and just make it a bit different. And why are you talking like Scotty from Star Trek?"
                  Set Designer: "ok, that we can do. We'll just add some naked chicks to it and we're done! And Scotty is cool. Don't mock the Scotty!"

Comment

The only thing that I didnt like was how the writers had to be overly politically correct by tiptoeing around the issue of god and spirituality.

I mean, given who the boys are and all the things that they know about, it is almost a logical conclusion that they would be somewhat spiritual, atleast having niether of them be athiest. But no, wouldnt want to offend today's pc secular society who believes that any portrayal of religion in a positive way should be considered some anti-constitutional endorsement.

Comment

*shurgs* Kinda glad they didn't cause if it was more religious it'd make me uncomfortable.

Comment

You watch a show about reapers, demons, evil spirits, poltegiests, wendigos, and all sorts of other wierd stuff, and yet you find the concept of angels, moral returibution, and a higher power uncomfortable?

Comment

Not that, I'm find with that, I'm just saying if it goes more deeply into the bible and stuff like that i might. Maybe i worded it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-El Son of Krypton
                            The only thing that I didnt like was how the writers had to be overly politically correct by tiptoeing around the issue of god and spirituality.

I mean, given who the boys are and all the things that they know about, it is almost a logical conclusion that they would be somewhat spiritual, atleast having niether of them be athiest. But no, wouldnt want to offend today's pc secular society who believes that any portrayal of religion in a positive way should be considered some anti-constitutional endorsement.
                            I don't think SPN has gone out of its way to be anti-religion. In fact, three of the most likeable characters on the show have been religious men. Pastor Jim, Roy from "Faith" (who was a good man who just happened to have a wacko wife), and the priest from "Houses of the Holy." Even the ghost-priest from "Houses" was good, just misguided.

As for the boys and spirituality, Sam has revealed that he prays all the time. He has faith. He believes in heaven and a higher power, even though he has no solid proof of either. That's what faith is all about.

The reason Dean has a harder time believing is that he has no proof. He's seen plenty of proof that there's a hell. So, if there was a heaven, one would think he would've seen some proof of it by now, after over twenty years of dealing with this stuff.

It's not that Dean outright doesn't believe. He just has doubts. And he'd have to actually see some kind of proof lessen those doubts.

I think the pole flying up to impale the would-be-rapist, when it looked like Dean wouldn't be able to catch him, made Dean stop and think a little bit.
                            Last edited by Dannyblue1; 04-24-2007, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daddylion
                              Not that, I'm find with that, I'm just saying if it goes more deeply into the bible and stuff like that i might. Maybe i worded it wrong.
                              Oh, yea I get what you mean now, I would have been a bit wierded out too if they had started talking about the will of god and quoting the bible.

All im saying is that they didnt have to make the ending so overtly ambiguous.

Comment

Just watched this again last night, and I have to say, I didnt agree with them getting rid of the dead priest.

All he was doing was cleaning up the world and freeing it from rapists and murderers. Hell, its apsolutly no different from what Dean and Sam do.

All of those people were sick and desrved to be punished. And if not for the priest, they would have gotten away scott free.

If I were them, I just would have left town and let father Timothy continue his work.
                                Last edited by Kal-El Son of Krypton; 07-13-2007, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎