No announcement yet.

Dean Cyrus O'Dell

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean Cyrus O'Dell

Talk about the Dean most commonly burned in effigy on campus. More seriously, we started off hating the Dean and grew to really like him. His role as Dean of the school and his relationship to Veronica, made him similar in role to Vice-Principal/Principal Van Clemmons.

He's grown to respect Veronica and rely on her. He has a younger, beautiful and cheating wife. He has a son from his first marriage and has adopted his wife's dying son as his own.

And now he's dead.

Talk about the Dean here!!!

I really liked the Dean, at the end, at least. We aren't really supposed to like him at the beginning, like you said, but I was really upset when he was killed. I think that's why they wanted us to like him so much, so it would be a big shock when he was killed. I wonder if they knew from the beginning of the season that he would die, or if it was an afterthought and they then decided to make him more likeable?

Comment

Originally posted by yellowqueen22
      More seriously, we started off hating the Dean and grew to really like him.
      Besides maybe the initial meeting when they weren't on the best of terms (wasn't it when VM would not give up the name of the teacher?) I liked Dean 'O Dell from the first. I don't know...it was the actor and how his character was....I just got attached pretty quick. So for me I would never have said that I hated his character, I don't think he was on my bad side THAT much. And maybe it's just my perception, but I always thought his character was turned around pretty quickly on the show. Am I the only one? I think it was less "grew to really like him" and more he was bad initially (like at the very beginning meeting him) but then he quickly became....maybe not a beloved character yet but a neutral character. I don't remember him being as "hated" as much as people imply (nor for as LONG as people inply he was hated). *shrugs* but that's just my perception.

Originally posted by yellowqueen22
      His role as Dean of the school and his relationship to Veronica, made him similar in role to Vice-Principal/Principal Van Clemmons.
      Most people will probably disagree, and that's fine, but I actually preferred their camaraderie more than VM's relationship to Principal Clemmons. I know most people prize the first season of any series and set it up on a pedestel (which it should be it had THE BEST mystery of the series) BUT I think they actually improved on the "school authority figure" relationship in the third season. I really liked VM and Cyrus' scenes together and they did such a good job of building up their relationship, that by the time VM finds out the recommendation that Cyrus gave on her behalf I was bursting with tears because it was so sweet!!! I think they had an excellent developing relationship throughout the season.

I wonder if they knew from the beginning of the season that he would die, or if it was an afterthought and they then decided to make him more likeable?
      That's a good question Mel. If they had planned on killing him or if it was a change made part way through the season.....but I think they did plan for it. In fact it sounds like Rob Thomas had an outline for eight seasons, maybe not the specific episode to episode mysteries but it sounds like he had all of the season long arcs outlined. It wasn't until the ratings slip and immenent cancelation that he changed his idea for season 4 to the "FBI theme" to try and draw in the execs. Otherwise he intended for VM to stay in college so I'm assuming he must have had a rough outline of season long mysteries for the next few years, because that was only VM's first year in college.

And again...do you really think they needed to make him more likeable? I thought he was likeable just fine before his death......

Comment

Hmmm...I guess he wasn't really UNLIKEABLE, exactly...it was more that he was an authority figure who was getting in the way of something Veronica needed to fix. He was tough at the beginning, and eventually we see him more as a person than as "the dean."

One thing I can't believe is how few episodes he was actually in. I think it was only 6 or something. It felt like more than that, which I think speaks a lot for the actor and the way all the other characters felt about him.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎