No announcement yet.

That's ********

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, the response...

I wonder how she would responde if it was HER secret.

I love how people take things out of context.

We ahve to assume that Lois, when Clark said this, would think of potential lies that people say to "not hut those they love", the silly lies or even the hurtful lies ( stupid affairs, drunken mistake,etc.)

I wonder if she would be able to grasp the significance of a little bitty lie like:
    I AM AN ALIEN FROM ANOTHER PLANET WITH ALMOST UNLIMITED POWERS AND CAN RULE THE WORLD IF I CHOOSE TO !!

Or:

I am a vigilante superhero that saves lives and fight crime, but on the side I am a wealthy billionaire with 1000's of people to employ and a woman I am very fond of, both of which would be greatly harmed,perhaps killed, if people found out.

heck, Lois ddin't know who the GA was and she still was almost killed !

Perspective people, Clark and Oliver's "lies" are not the typical, " I did your sister in a moment of weakness", or "yes Maggie, there is a Santa Claus".

In the retarded refernce was uncalled for, she is educated and THAT was the best term she could come up with?
    Shame on the writers.

Comment

I thought it was great. I love how Lois is the one who gets Clark to smile.

people are just mad that Lois and Clark shared a moment again in this episode and not Clark and Chloe.

Maybe people should just start to realize the writing is already on the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Kryptonian-Ronin

Perspective people, Clark and Oliver's "lies" are not the typical, " I did your sister in a moment of weakness", or "yes Maggie, there is a Santa Claus".

In the retarded refernce was uncalled for, she is educated and THAT was the best term she could come up with?
        Shame on the writers.
        That would be fine -- if she knew that's what Clark was thinking about.

Clark's response was to Lois's comment that "everyone does things they're ashamed of..." and Lois was specifically talking about Oliver being a bully in high school. Not exactly epic "we must save the world and keep everyone safe" kind of a secret, there. Just a random, "I'm not going to tell my new girlfriend that I accidentally caused someone's death & gave dorks wedgies back in the day...."

So Clark's melodramatic response, "Sometimes we keep secrets to protect the ones we love" was completely BS. It had nothing to do with anything & didn't justify Oliver's actions at all. As viewers, we (of course) know that Clark is taking about the bigger picture, but Lois didn't. So, she thought about what he said and responded that it was retarded, because (honestly) it was.

And her choice of wording? Maybe not ideal, but the term is used in American slang & so she used it in that manner. I don't think it's a big deal. And Clark obviously realized how dumb he sounded, too, because he laughed after she left.

Comment

I agree 100% lois.
          Its retarded to keep secrets from those you love.
          Good writing.

Comment

Originally posted by eas
            That would be fine -- if she knew that's what Clark was thinking about.

Clark's response was to Lois's comment that "everyone does things they're ashamed of..." and Lois was specifically talking about Oliver being a bully in high school. Not exactly epic "we must save the world and keep everyone safe" kind of a secret, there. Just a random, "I'm not going to tell my new girlfriend that I accidentally caused someone's death & gave dorks wedgies back in the day...."

So Clark's melodramatic response, "Sometimes we keep secrets to protect the ones we love" was completely BS. It had nothing to do with anything & didn't justify Oliver's actions at all. As viewers, we (of course) know that Clark is taking about the bigger picture, but Lois didn't. So, she thought about what he said and responded that it was retarded, because (honestly) it was.

And her choice of wording? Maybe not ideal, but the term is used in American slang & so she used it in that manner. I don't think it's a big deal. And Clark obviously realized how dumb he sounded, too, because he laughed after she left.
            My post was direct more towards the posters that agree with what she said in regards to Clark, rather than the context.

While I agree that Lois replied to what Clark said base on the circumstance of the time, I still find it quite amazing how people are so trusting on this website.
            Truth ! truth and more truth ! they demand !

Wow, I must be a real Butt, because I believe that, before we go spouting things that can have a huge impact not only on our lives but on the lives of those we love, that we must exercise discreetion and view the big picture as opposed to simply the short term.

Comment

There's really an argument about this?

Comment

Originally posted by CK&CK
                Sorry, not buying it......anybody else....especially if it had been someone like Lionel who had done what Lex & Ollie had?......That would be front page news!
                You might not buy it, but that's what was said in the episode, with no indication that she was being disingenuous.

Comment

It was one of my favorite Lois moments. She summed up in quick fashion that guys have no idea of how to react around girls. Basically, we're socially handicapped.

Comment

Originally posted by ShelbyKent
                    I disagree with you.

In Pariah, Lois advised Chloe that it wouldn't be wise for Chloe to call on another person (Clark) on his secret. Said other person should be the one to reveal the secret when he's good and ready and trusts you enough to do so. No badgering, no drama, no guilt-tripping said other person into revealing his secret. And in this instance, Chloe told Lois that the secret is not hurting anyone. So pressuring the other person into telling the secret isn't the way to go. You have to support and earn that other person's trust .It also applies that it wouldn't be kosher to blab the other person's secret to someone else.

In Reunion, when Lois said "That is ....totally retarded!", it was in reference to the person with the secret's decision to keep the secret from the one's you love in order to protect them. Lois probably thinks that this decision would cause more hurt (literally and figuratively) in the long-run of a relationship. But in keeping with her advice to Chloe, Lois won't badger or cajole the secret keeper into revealing the secret. So in typical Lois fashion, she expresses her opinion in a tart yet humorous manner and replies, "That is...totally retarded!" Which is exactly what Clark needed to hear to cut-off is impending brood-fest.

And I agree with Supergirl Jam, we should all get along. Lois and Chloe are my 2 favorite characters on the show. Peace y'all
                    Good point! I like what you said here, and I agree.

Originally posted by amberdawn
                    There's really an argument about this?
                    It's Smallville, we argue about everything here don't we?
                    Last edited by LuckyKrypto; 10-27-2006, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Wow, I must be a real Butt, because I believe that, before we go spouting things that can have a huge impact not only on our lives but on the lives of those we love, that we must exercise discreetion and view the big picture as opposed to simply the short term.
                      Well, I agree with you on that. But I think Lois agrees with you too (based on what she said to Chloe back when Chloe asked her for advice).

But I don't see how it's relevant to what she said to Clark? I'm sorry, I think I'm just not understanding -- I know you've explained it, but I don't see the connection.

Because I didn't see this situation as being something that needed to be hidden from Lois by Oliver for the "greater good". It was simply something that happened to Oliver when he was in high school. I don't think that Oliver sharing this with Lois would have had a huge impact on the lives of anyone. It just would have brought them closer as a couple.

So, I do agree with Lois's reaction to what Clark said. He was going off on one of his philosophical, general, random opinions (because, really, it's all about him and his guilt) & she gives him a reality check. I loved it.

Originally posted by Son of Kal-El20
                      I thought what Clark said was just fine. Not retarded at all. Frankly, idk about everyone else, but telling the whole world you're alien or a superhero just would not cut it and would get you killed or exiled( look at the X-Men).

So yeah, I didn't think Clark's line was retarded. But hey, everyone thinks that anything that comes out of Superman's mouth is retarded.
                      Clark's line wasn't retarded when we know he's talking about his life & how he's an alien. Lois doesn't know that -- she took his words at face value & within the context of her relationship with Ollie, his words were BS. And she called him on it, typical Lois Lane style.
                      Last edited by eas; 10-27-2006, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Clark made a comment/voiced an opinion on something in general, Lois counters with a rude comment that was applicable to something in specific.

Very Lois indeed.

Now this is not ragging on Lois, that is her character.
                        I am sort of "sideing" with Clark and Oliver in regards to keeping those types of secrets and I don't undertand who some people KNOWING the reasons behind the lies, have issues with them lying.

Comment

That was hilarious!!!! I cracked up when she said that! Loved it!

Comment

Lois Lane pwned

She's my LL alright

Comment

"Totally Retarted" LOL i freakin love Lois!!!

Comment

Clark made a comment/voiced an opinion on something in general, Lois counters with a rude comment that was applicable to something in specific.Very Lois indeed.
                                Now this is not ragging on Lois, that is her character.
                                I am sort of "sideing" with Clark and Oliver in regards to keeping those types of secrets and I don't undertand who some people KNOWING the reasons behind the lies, have issues with them lying.
                                Correct me if I am wrong, but what I think you're saying is that it was unfair of Lois to utter the "That's so...retarded" line because she has no idea how "big" of a secret Clark is hiding. In your words, Clark's secret is

"I AM AN ALIEN FROM ANOTHER PLANET WITH ALMOST UNLIMITED POWERS AND CAN RULE THE WORLD IF I CHOOSE TO !!"
                                And you also sympathize with Oliver because his secret is a "major" one as well, which is, to quote you again:

I am a vigilante superhero that saves lives and fight crime, but on the side I am a wealthy billionaire with 1000's of people to employ and a woman I am very fond of, both of which would be greatly harmed,perhaps killed, if people found out
                                I agree that those are not your run-of-the-mill secrets, but who's to judge which secret carries the greater weight? To the people one genuinely cares about, are those secrets more important/have a greater impact than other types of secrets such as

--In Olivers case: I was a reprehensible @$$hole in school and I was the ring leader of the school's meanest bullies. I stole exam answers from my teacher. My bullying inadvertently resulted in the death of one of my classmates. And I may have also played a part in developing young Lex's sociopathic & murderous tendencies.

---In Lex's case: I was so desperate for acceptance at school that I sold out my one and only best friend. I was willing to be be friends with the very people who made me miserable. Not only that. I was so unscrupulous that I was willing to beat my best friend to death just so I could stop him from his snitching on my new "in-crowd" buddies.And beating my best friend to a pulp was my own idea, no coaching from the bullies needed.

I don't know about you but those are big secrets as well. What I'm trying to say is that Ollie's and Lex's boarding school secret can have as big an impact as Ollie's & Clark's superhero secret, in the way they affect their relationships (whether romantic or platonic). All those secrets reveal an integral part of the characters' personalities, insecurities, morals & outlook on life and reaction to adversity.

Oliver & Clark, (and heck even sometimes Lex) do have benign intentions in mind for wanting to keep their secrets. But the question is, how prudent is their thinking that keeping the secret would actually protect the ones they love? Or will it end up hurting their loved ones more? Perhaps the person that the secret keeper is really trying to protect is himself because he is scared of rejection if the secret is revealed?

Lois is of the opinion that keeping the secret would cause more harm than good in a relationship (whether platonic or romantic). People who really, really care about you will accept you for who you are, warts and all. But in line with her advice to Chloe, no badgering or guilt-tripping the other person to reveal, unless the other person is good and ready and trusts you enough to share the secret. Thus Lois' answer, "That's totally retarded!", is appropriate to Clark's question.

It also had the desired effect of stopping dead on its tracks the pity-party that Clark seemed ready to throw
                                Last edited by ShelbyKent; 10-27-2006, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎