No announcement yet.

Why didn't Clark just...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eas
    Yeah, it doesn't make sense. If (for whatever reason) he couldn't x-ray the glasses, he could have super-sped past him to take off the glasses. He could have used his super-breath to blow off the hood... there were a ton of ways he could have used his superpowers to overcome Oliver.

And the whole "super-hero code" doesn't make sense, because he didn't view the Green Arrow as a super-hero. He probably thought the guy was a meteor freak thief.

This furthers my belief that Chloe was completely unnecessary in this episode. Clark could have easily investigated all of this on his own. I hate that Chloe's involvement makes Clark look more stupid.
    I agree there is a little inconsistency with his powers. With the exception of one or two little bits, however, it seems Clark's X-ray in SV works just like an X-ray.

I will agree that he could have just ripped the glasses off. But, I don't think he was thinking to himself that he would recognize the guy under the hood anyway, and never suspected GA would actually escape by that point. GA got lucky, that's all.

Oh, and yeah--sometimes Chloe can make Clark look dumb. I like it when he does his own investigating, but then I'd miss Chloe, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Ares
      They needed all that time for him to figure out who he is.. Otherwise they wouldnt have had an episode.
      Good writers find other ways around such obstacles other than relying on the willing disbelief of their audience...
      Last edited by wraith808; 10-24-2006, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ares
        They needed all that time for him to figure out who he is.. Otherwise they wouldnt have had an episode.
        precisely!

Comment

Originally posted by Nerial
          I agree there is a little inconsistency with his powers. With the exception of one or two little bits, however, it seems Clark's X-ray in SV works just like an X-ray.

I will agree that he could have just ripped the glasses off. But, I don't think he was thinking to himself that he would recognize the guy under the hood anyway, and never suspected GA would actually escape by that point. GA got lucky, that's all.

Oh, and yeah--sometimes Chloe can make Clark look dumb. I like it when he does his own investigating, but then I'd miss Chloe, so...
          Exactly! What good does a face of an unknown person do for him? But also, as you said, he didnt think GA would get away. It's a common theme for superman that he is so used to everything being easy, he's not used to having to work hard. He knew he would capture GA (how could he not?). but he got outsmarted! How else would Batman beat Superman in Superman vs. Batman? He never expects to be beaten, and that is his other weakness besides kryptonite. It's part of the character, not a writing problem.

Comment

Because Clark is written like an idiot

Comment

The only excuse I could come up with was maybe he didnt want anyone else to know who the Green Arrow was, so he didnt want to expose him in the presence of someone else. Before Oliver takes off his motorcycle helmet, are Clark and Oliver ever alone????I think Lois or someone else was always around... I think in that first meeting Clark really just wanted to know what he was up to... I dont know if he was really trying to figure out who he was yet...

Comment

Originally posted by F-Stop Blues
                I think its part of the superhero code in Clarks case. I dont think he would do that, he would try to find out who is he fairly imo.
                Oh really? Well that's how Superman discovered who Batman was...

Originally posted by caseybrn
                Because Clark is an idiot
                Fixed it for you.

Comment

I wouldn't exactly say Clark is an idiot. In fact, in every other medium (Comics, Lois and Clark, Movies), he's portrayed as quite intelligent. So if you think he looks like an idiot, it would be the writing doing the job...

Comment

It's not that Clark is an idiot (or written that way). He is not very emotionally intelligent, but he is fairly adept at solving problems sometimes. Just because Chloe solves them too doesn't mean he can't. But when it comes to not x-raying GA, I chalk that up to his over-reliance on his strength, and not feeling that he needs to use his powers in an intelligent way. He is so used to not having to do anything the smart way, that when his strength fails he is left cold. Like in Batman vs. Superman.

Comment

A super-high intellect and memory is supposed to be one of his powers. Maybe that will be the next powers the writers have him develop.

Clark taking an online math quiz

Chloe: "Focus on the test Clark! You can do it."

Clark: "I dunno Chloe, I still add with my fingers and toes."

Chloe: "Think about the numbers in your mind Clark, think!"

Clark: "Eureka!"

Comment

^^ Rofflecopter! You *too* can be a writer!

Comment

i think clark just didnt think itd matter cause he probably thought his throw was going to knock GA out in one hit like it does to everyone else

Comment

Whoa, that's right - it didn't. Damn.

As for my thoughts on the topic at hand, Clark is kind of a mixed bag when it comes to when he uses brain and when he uses brawn.

Capturing Zod by means of false submission? Brilliant.

Taking shots from the Green Arrow? Badass.

Failing to knock this guy back to Nottingham? Beyond me

Comment

Well Laura I guess the writers thought that having Clark and Chloe investigating would be funnier !! But I agree with you, sometimes Clark seams to forget what he's capable of.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎