An Assistant's Assistance

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 2 - Education, Decision, and Action

Lana was staggered.

Over the years, Lana had come up with many explanations to account for what she both knew and suspected about Clark. But none of them came close to the truth. I guess truth really is stranger than fiction, she thought.

Raya waited patiently as Lana processed this new information. Raya could tell, from the distracted, unfocused look in Lana’s eyes, that she was having a hard time accepting the truth. Denial of a hard truth is always the easiest way out.

Looking for something concrete to hold on to, Lana asked, “What answers, exactly, will that crystal give me? I mean, it just looks like a faceted piece of glass.”

“Put your hand on the time crystal, and it will give you all of Kal-El’s memories starting at the branching point of time and going all the way to the end of the original time stream. You will know every thought and every emotion. You will see things the way he saw them and will know why he did what he did. You may not agree with his choices, I for one did not, but you will understand.”

Lana drew in a sudden breath through clenched teeth. When it came to Clark, more than anything else, Lana had wanted to understand him. Knowing why he did what he did, from compulsively saving anything that needed his help to just as compulsively lying to her about himself, was of paramount importance to her. Even knowing the truth wasn’t as important, and from the knowing smile on Raya’s face, she knew it, too.

“Understanding is a valuable thing, no?” Raya asked.

“Oh yes, very valuable,” Lana breathed.

Determined, Lana reached forward and placed both hands on the time crystal. Her hands locked into place as the information was being downloaded into her brain. Her eyes darted back and forth under her closed eyelids, closely mimicking the patterns of R.E.M. sleep. To Lana, it felt just like a dream, if a dream could have laser-sharp images and sound anyway. In her mind, for the time in question, she was Clark.

When Lana regained full consciousness she thought many hours had passed, but a question to Raya let her know the memory download had only taken a few minutes.

Lana was silent after that as she reviewed what she had just learned. A complete analysis of every thought and deed of Clark’s would take a long time, but right now, she was getting quick impressions.

The first thing she dealt with was the absolute weirdness of having almost an entire day of Clark Kent’s life at her ‘fingertips.’ Three years ago, she had told Sarah Conroy that she would love to switch places with her and find out what goes on inside Clark’s head. Now, she had finally gotten her wish.

Their day had started in a familiar manner with Clark turning over a piece of coal in his hand while waiting for her. The sensation of waiting around in the back of his mind while he waited for her to show up was bizarre. The bizarreness climbed at an exponential rate when she felt Clark’s surge of love after hearing her own voice as she entered the loft. Still, knowing Clark had loved her so deeply at that time filled Lana with warmth.

Along with learning that Clark loved her, Lana also learned that he was incredibly attracted to her physically. That had been a very gratifying insight for her. The fact that he hadn’t made love to her since the day he died had crushed her. She had thought he no longer found her sexually appealing. Knowing that was not the case lifted a weight off her shoulders. The real reason for his hands-off attitude was easier to take and was one she thought she would have been able to work around had she known about it. Hurt me with his strength! Lana thought. Hah! As if he’d ever allow himself to do that…but it was responsible of him to wait until he told me his big secret.

The most important thing Lana learned from Clark’s thoughts was that his primary motivation for keeping her in the dark hadn’t been a lack of trust…it was fear. Fear that she’d reject him and fear that people would come after her to learn about him. In the end, however, his fear had worked in her favor when his fear of losing her if he didn’t tell her his secrets had finally outgrown his fear of losing her if her did tell her.

He trusts me! He trusts me! It was all she had ever needed from Clark, and she had had it all along. She was so happy right now, that she felt like dancing.

The rest of their time together that day had been pure bliss. Clark had explained his connection to the Kawatche caves and then, in the glimmering palace of ice and crystal that he thought of as his ‘Fortress of Solitude,’ he had told her everything. To top it all off, he had then proposed marriage. By now, Lana was desperately wishing the crystal had also contained her memories. To have had everything she had ever wanted to happen actually happen, only to not remember a thing, was a serious blow.

Lana was beside herself with excitement now. Clark had proposed! Every dream she had ever had was coming true…or at least, had come true in the past. The more things went well in this memory, the more apprehensive Lana became about learning exactlywhat had gone wrong.

The next part, learning that Chloe was his confidante, had been another blow. Chloe had been her competition in everything Clark-related since freshman year in high school, and knowing Chloe had learned Clark’s most closely-guarded secrets before she herself had was a bitter pill to swallow. The slightly hurt expression on Chloe’s face when Clark told her about the proposal was small recompense, but Lana would take what she could get. You may have gotten his secrets first, Lana thought, but I won his heart! She knew that kind of thought was petty, but she couldn’t help it. Clark had always brought out her competitive nature.

Lana had thought Clark’s fear had peaked when he told her about Krypton, but she was wrong. Watching her make her way up the walk to meet him at the Kent farmhouse had been the absolute worst for him. He had been in agony waiting for her to announce her decision, but when she said, “As in, ‘yes, Clark, I’ll marry you,’” he’d jumped straight to ecstasy with no stops in between.

Once they were at the election night rally at the Talon, Lana could feel Clark’s pride as he showed her off to everyone he could find. Chloe had just congratulated them both, saying she had known it was just a matter of time, when Mr. and Mrs. Kent finally showed up. Clark was anxious for their approval, but he needn’t have worried. They welcomed her to the family with open arms.

When the election victory was announced, the Kents were pulled to one side by Lois for a lengthy photo op. Clark had lost track of Lana after that, not really surprising in a crowd of this size. The next time he heard from her was when she called him on his cell phone. She was on Route 40 on the other side of Loeb Bridge and she was in trouble.

How could I get in trouble so quickly? Lana wondered. And out there? The only thing out there is the Luthor Mansion. Lana didn’t have long to wait to learn that answer. Apparently, I went to visit Lex to comfort him and he figured out that Clark had told me everything and went into a drunken rage. I fled and he chased me down, determined to learn Clark’s secrets from me. Clark had become increasingly worried during the conversation with me and was on the verge of going into action to save me when the sound of screeching tires, crunching sheet metal, and shattering glass filled his ear before the phone went dead.

Fear was no longer adequate to describe what was racing through Clark’s mind as he turned on the jets to race to Lana’s side. The scene was straight out of a really bad Driver’s Ed video. Clark blew past the yellow school bus filled with Smallville High students returning from an out of town basketball game without even noticing them. Next to be disregarded in Clark’s haste was Lex, as all Clark had eyes for was the demolished SUV sitting in the middle of the two-lane highway…or more accurately, the battered and blood-soaked body lying on the asphalt in front of the SUV. Lana recognized that SUV, which was no surprise since it was hers. She knew before Clark’s memories told her, that she had to be the one lying in the road. The anguish Clark was suffering through was mirrored in her own soul as well. When he hurt, she hurt.

‘Clark lost his mind for a few minutes’ was the only way she could think of to accurately describe what happened next. He was racked with grief, and only the comforting presence of his dad kept him from doing God only knows what.

Knowing the depth and intensity of his love for her that she had first experienced earlier in the day, and knowing Clark’s almost pathological need to save people, especially the ones he loves, what happened next wasn’t really a surprise. Clark went to the Fortress to seek help. In his grief, he was ready to do anything, risk anything, give up anything, as long as she could live again.

Lana listened to the conversation Clark had with the disembodied voice very carefully. Making sense out of some of the things being said wasn’t really possible without other information that was inside Clark’s head. Luckily for her, she was inside his thoughts, and he was thinking about that ‘other information’ as he talked.

So this is where Clark was brought back from the dead, Lana thought, and in exchange, someone close to him had to die…and it was me. Then she remembered that Jonathan had died the night of the election, and thought, Did Clark exchange my life for that of his father? Could he have possibly known? Lana was horrified at the very idea and unbelievably angry at Clark for keeping this from her. This price was something that affected us all. We had a right to know, and the all-knowing , all-powerful Clark Kent took it upon himself to keep it from us. Damn him!

The next thing Clark said gave her cold chills, ‘If I hadn’t told her the truth about me she’d still be alive.’ So that explained why he chickened out in the loft on the day that she remembered visiting with a ‘scarf and gloves.’ He thought that by keeping her ignorant, he would keep her safe, and she already knew he was willing to pay the price for their eventual breakup. He’d do anything to keep her safe.

Lana didn’t know how to reconcile the feelings she was having right now. She loved him so intensely that merely thinking about him made breathing difficult, but her love was competing with her rage at the cavalier way he made decisions that rightfully were hers to make.

Finally armed with the information she felt she should’ve had all along, Lana made a silent promise. Clark Kent, when next we meet, your butt is mine!

All she wanted was to leave the mansion and find Clark, wherever he was, but seeing Raya brought one last question to mind.

“Raya, not that I’m ungrateful, but why did you show me this? Clark and I were as happy as can be, but only for half a day.”

Giving her what Lana could only describe as a crocodile smile, Raya said, “I showed you the first series of events because you have a choice. As a person inside the time change, you have the ability, and the right, to go back and change things yourself.”

“How? I don’t have any special abilities.”

From an unseen pocket, Raya produced a smoky gray crystal similar in size and shape to the time crystal. “With this. Hold this crystal in one hand as you hold the time crystal in the other, and you can choose exactly which point in the original time stream to return to. Your choices start at the branching point in Kal-El’s loft and continue until Kal-El changed time. Nothing that occurred after the point you choose will have happened, and the alternate time line will not have happened for anyone at all, except for you. Because you are the one holding the time crystal as time changes, your memories will be unaffected.”

Thinking of her baby, which she was no longer certain she still wanted if it meant the child would be raised by Lex, Lana asked, “Will I still be pregnant if I choose to change things?”

“I’m sorry, Lana Lang,” Raya said. “Your body will revert to how it was at the time you returned to.” She held a finger up in warning. “Be careful. If you go back to the time of your accident, you will be dead.”

Lana chose her next words carefully. “You said Clark’s reason for changing the past was ‘insufficient.’ What makes me messing with time any more proper?”

“I can’t repair the Fortress of Solitude, not with the technology available on this planet and Kal-El needs more than I can provide him to become the man this planet needs him to be. He needs Jor-El’s wisdom, he needs the collected knowledge of the known universe…most of all, he needs a working Fortress of Solitude. The only way to make that happen is to rollback Kal-El’s alterations. That is what I deem to be of sufficient enough value to risk another time change. The choice is yours. Choose wisely.”

Lana thought of her life with Lex, and then thought of the life she could have with Clark. She didn’t need to think it over, she chose Clark.

“Give me the crystal, I’m ready.”

“There is one thing I would have you do.”

“Anything. Name it.”

Raya leaned close and said, “After this, I can’t safely be brought out of the Phantom Zone. It’s clear now that there is too great a risk of several others escaping with me,and I have no wish to live an eternity in that timeless wasteland, so give this message to Kal-El for me. Make sure he discusses it with Jor-El. The message is, ‘Raya is trapped in the Phantom Zone. She offers a final service to the House of El. No price is too great.’”

As the full import of Raya’s offer hit home, Lana said, “I’ll remember.” Looking up at Raya with tears in her eyes, Lana said, “Saying thank you is ’insufficient’ in light of your great gift, but it’s all I have to offer besides my promise to not waste this chance. So, thank you, Raya. You can never know what this means to me.” That said, Lana grabbed one crystal in each hand, thought for a moment, and her world turned black.

No baby, no black Thursday, no break up, nothing.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 10-20-2006, 12:36 AM.

Comment

That was an awesone chapter, Cardinal! So Lana will turn back time once again. It's so cool that she gets to know Clark's thoughts and emotions from the 1st time stream. She should be well prepared now to make sure things go better the 3rd time around. Can't wait to see how that goes. I KNOW Lana will live, and we will get happy Clana - right?

Keep up the great writing, Card. I love it!

PPMS!
      Last edited by SVsleuth; 10-20-2006, 12:51 AM.

Comment

2nd! Awesome Awesome update! Lana finally knows everything! What period in the time stream will Lana pick? How will she change the time stream from happening the way it did? I can't wait to find out!

PPMS!
        Last edited by NYC300Z; 10-20-2006, 12:49 PM.

Comment

That was great!! Can't wait for more! I need more!!!! PPMASAP!!!
          Last edited by ClanaLover; 10-20-2006, 12:36 PM.

Comment

that was good!

Comment

Hey just got caught up Cardinal, and loved how you showed Lana what could of happened. PPMS

Comment

Great job Card. It looks like there should be happy Clana ahead.

But at exactly what point does she revert to in time?

More importantly, what will she do with Raya's example fresh in her mind?

Comment

Chapter 3 - Third Time’s the Charm

For the merest fraction of a second, Lana felt dizzy. Her eyelids were scrunched tightly together and she was afraid to open them because she didn’t want to be disappointed if these crystals didn’t work. Finally, one eye started to creep open despite her fear. If the crystals had worked, she knew what she should be seeing, and she wasn’t disappointed.

It was the floor of the Kent barn.

Her other eye shot open and she drank in her surroundings. Lana’s excitement was rapidly building to a fever pitch, but there was one more thing she had to see to be sure. She charged up the wooden steps to the loft, and, facing away from her over by the half open Dutch doors, right where her memory said he was supposed to be, was Clark. Lana just exploded. Heedless of what he might think, she started jumping up and down like a loon and screaming “YES!”

Clark’s mind had been so fixed on what he was going to say that Lana’s sudden appearance startled him, and her unbridled excitement was doubly startling. He hadn’t seen passion like that from her since she came to the house and discovered he hadn’t died after all.

Lana saw him face her, and though she knew what his concerns were this morning, she couldn’t wait to get her hands on him and tell him that she loved him. Clark’s mind barely had time to register the fact that Lana was running toward him before she launched herself into the air. Reflexively, he dropped his piece of coal and was rewarded with a double handful of crying, kissing Lana as she wrapped her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist. All she said was ‘I love you,’ but she said it at least once in between each kiss, and her kisses were falling like rain.

Clark was enjoying her attentions. In fact, he was beginning to enjoy them a little bit too much, so he finally lowered her to the floor and they both took a seat on the comfy couch.

“Lana, I love you, too, and your kisses are purest bliss, but, umm…what brought this on?”

Lana slumped over to rest the side of her face on his shoulder as she said in a plaintive tone of voice, “Oh, Clark, I’ve just survived the most horrific nightmare! Seeing you here, and being able to be with you after all of that, was more than I could take. So…I…kissed you.”

Clark thought ‘survived’ was on odd thing to say about a nightmare, but he wrapped her in his arms, and said, “Repeatedly.”

“Huh?”

“Kissed me…repeatedly,” Clark said smugly.

Being playful with her reply, Lana asked, “And that’s a problem for you?”

“No. As I said, your kisses are bliss.”

“I believe ‘purest bliss’ is what you said.”

Clark grinned and said, “I stand corrected. Your kisses are purest bliss.” He stretched forward, snagged his lump of coal off of the floor, and continued, “I know things have been weird between us lately, but I asked you to meet me here because I have something important to tell you, something that I should have told you a long time ago.”

Thanks to Raya and the time crystal, Lana already knew exactly what he wanted to tell her, but she wanted to experience this, she wanted Clark to actually tell her of his own volition. This was to be the most magical of days, and Lana didn’t mind in the least that she had already had a sneak preview.

Lana could feel Clark’s heart pounding as she leaned against him, but she thought it wasn’t pounding as hard as it had been the first time. Maybe my kisses relaxed him a little bit. An unintended side effect to be sure, but I’m not above taking the credit.

Haltingly, Clark began by confirming what she had long suspected about him having ‘special abilities.’ Only, he had more of them than she had thought. She hadn’t experienced too many of them during the one day she spent inside his head, and two of those, the strength and speed, she had already suspected. But alongside strength, speed, and heat vision, and the long-suspected virtual indestructibility, he added two kinds of x-ray vision and hearing.

“Keeping secrets from you is going to be hard with you having those last two abilities, Clark.”

“I thought you didn’t like secrets,” he teased.

“I’m not talking about big, important secrets. I mean the kind of small, personal secrets that a girl needs to keep from her guy, if only for a little while.”

“So things like…surprise birthday parties are okay?”

“Yes. I just don’t want you hiding the big stuff. I can handle anything you can throw at me, but I can only handle the things that you share.”

Clark digested that thought for a bit and then cautiously asked, “Are you okay with my abilities?”

“Perfectly.”

She said that with such serene confidence that Clark began to wonder.

“Okay.” Clark stood and held out his hand. “Then come with me, I have one more secret to tell you. This one…this one is the big one.”

Lana knew she would’ve been apprehensive to hear that Clark had a secret that was bigger than all of his abilities, but now, since she knew what he wanted to say, she confidently took his hand and stood. “Wherever you lead, I will follow, Clark.”

“Hold onto your hair then.” Clark dipped and lifted Lana into the air, cradling her at shoulders and knees. He gave her a moment to gather her long hair and hold it in both hands, and then was off like a shot. Seconds later he sat her down in the Kawatche caves. He lead her past the key slot to a room she had never seen on her own before. Somehow the room seemed more vibrant and the runic symbols on the table seemed more sharply defined now that she was seeing them for herself.

When Clark said that what he was about to show her may change the way she feels about him, Lana stepped in close. Staring into his eyes, Lana willed him to feel her love and absolute confidence in him. “No, Clark. Nothing you say will change the way I feel about you. Trust us like you trust me and everything will work out.”

Incredulous, Clark asked, “You mean that, don’t you?” He shook his head in disbelief. “All this time, I’ve been sure I was losing you and here you show me hidden reserves of strength, love, and compassion that humble me. How could I ever deserve you?”

Thinking that maybe she’d overplayed her hand just a little bit, Lana said, “Don’t nominate me for sainthood just yet. There are things going on in my life that we need to talk about once you are done telling your secrets.”

Once Clark slid the octagonal key into the slot on the table, he told her, “It’s okay.” The transformation that came over him when he placed the key in the slot was amazing. He switched from being nervous and in need of reassurance to being a confident man that was offering her some support in the blink of an eye.

As the room lit up with a golden radiance, Lana couldn’t help but look around in wonder, even though she knew what was going to happen next. A sudden breeze whipped their hair around and Clark offered her his hand, asking her, “Do you trust me?”

Without even a moment’s hesitation, Lana slipped her hand into his and gave him a quick squeeze. In Clark’s memories, she had noticed that his eyes had never left her face from the time he put the key into the slot until after he had proposed, and so it was this time. Already knowing what she would see and not needing to see it again, Lana decided to keep her eyes focused on him.

Clark and Lana shot through the coruscating tube of blue-white energy, ending up in the Fortress of Solitude. There was no looking around like a tourist for her this time, instead, her eyes were still locked on his. The intensity of her gaze let him know he had her undivided attention, so he decided to plunge on ahead before the strength of his intentions failed him.

“When you asked me if I believed in life on other planets,” Clark said, “you had no idea how ironic that question was.” Lana waited patiently as Clark gathered himself. “I’m from a planet called Krypton.”

Lana remembered how desperately nervous he had been when telling her his big secret, and she wanted nothing more than to reassure him, to let him know that everything was going to be fine. Just as before, she stepped in close and let her right hand slide up to caress his face.

“Clark, it’s not where you’re from, but who you are that matters to me.” As his head began to lean into her caress, she added, “You’re still Clark Kent, still the man I love.”

Clark’s heart soared when he heard that. It was what he had most wanted from Lana ever since they first met. She knows everything about me, Clark thought, and she still loves me. Clark couldn’t contain his joy, so he scooped Lana into his arms once more and leapt for a small outcrop of ice and crystal far overhead. Once again, his eyes remained fixed on her face, and again, Lana made the choice to do the same. As they soared to the top of the Fortress, they were off in their own little world, each thinking only of the other.

Completely thrilled with the way she was responding to his secrets, Clark couldn’t help but break out into a smile. His biggest fears had just melted away like the last snow of spring, leaving more room for their relationship to grow. Lana felt his joy, and when his serious look gave way to a dazzling smile, she responded in kind.

By the time they landed on the small outcrop Clark had chosen for them, they were engaged in a full lip lock. How he pulled off the landing with his eyes closed was a mystery to Lana…or it would have been had she been paying attention to anything other than his mouth.

When they finally broke the kiss, Clark set Lana down and she leaned her head against his chest. This was their moment and neither one wanted it to end, so they each wrapped the other in a warm embrace and held on. Clark finally remembered he had one more item on his agenda, so as much as he didn’t want to, he let Lana go and reached into a pocket for his lump of coal.

Clark’s hand came up and opened, clearly showing Lana that it was a lump of coal. She knew what was coming and had to struggle mightily to contain her excitement. Then, he closed his hand around the coal and began to squeeze. The compressing lump of coal gave off light, some of which snuck from between his fingers. When he was done, all that was left of the coal were a few grains of coal dust and a perfectly-faceted diamond.

Clark blew the coal dust away and then produced a simple gold band with an open, four-prong setting. He placed the newly-formed gem into the setting and then fixed it in place by heating up the setting with his heat vision. She had seen this all before from his perspective, but she was still in awe, and her excitement was building with each passing second. If he doesn’t propose this very second, she thought, I’m gonna rip that ring out of his hand and put it on my finger all by myself. Thankfully, she didn’t have to wait.

“There are many clever things that I’ve thought about saying at this moment, but what they all boil down to is this: I love you, Lana, and I always will. I can’t imagine a future for me that doesn’t have you by my side.” Still holding the ring up high, Clark dropped to one knee. “Will you do me the very great honor of becoming my wife? Lana Elizabeth Lang, will you marry me?”

Lana had thought she was ready for this proposal, after all, she knew when and where it was coming, but that didn’t matter at all. She had begun to shake halfway through Clark’s short speech and by the time he said the magic words, she was crying tears of joy. Words were impossible but she furiously nodded her head ‘yes’ as she stuck out her left hand.

In his haste, Clark dropped the ring, but he used super-speed to snag it out of midair. He then took her left hand in his and used his right hand to gently slide the ring on her ring finger. Lana’s emotional outpouring was affecting Clark and he began to cry right along with her as they celebrated all alone at the top of the world.

Finally, the river of happy tears slowed to a trickle and Clark said, “I think it’s time to get back to Smallville. I can’t wait to show off you, and that ring, to everyone we know.”

Regretfully, Lana shook her head ‘no’ as she said, “I’d love that, but we don’t have time. We need to talk about my secrets and we need to do it now while there’s still time left.”

Clark was bewildered by Lana and asked, “What secrets? And still time left for what?”

“There’s still time to save the life of someone close to you…you know, the payment for your resurrection. Apparently the bill comes due tonight, and I don’t know which one of us will die this time.”
                  Last edited by Cardinal; 10-21-2006, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Ah!!! What an evil cliffie! You better be working on a 2x! I can't wait for Lana to tell all. Clark will be shocked!

That was a wonderful chapter. Clark is amazed at how well Lana is taking everything. Now he's about to find out why. PPMS!
                    Last edited by SVsleuth; 10-21-2006, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Awesome update, Card! PPMASAP!!!
                      Last edited by ClanaLover; 10-21-2006, 10:56 AM.

Comment

hmm Lana has a valid question there... Who will die this time...

You know... this is good... and as the day that happened three time started i first thought how it could have go if you had used the second repeat instead of the original...

But now... Will Lana tell Clark what happened...

Oh god!!! I think I just got the answer to the question.... Oh man... It would be cool if I am right...

PPMS Card!!! I wanna know what happens next...

Comment

OMG Card. AMAZING! Nothing short of amazing. Better than amazing. You writes so beautifully, such a nice change in events, one everyone has been waiting for. I absolutely love it.
                          The time change was very clever. I hope that everything works out. Thank you soo much for this brilliant story!

Comment

Very nice Card!

I was surprised by where Lana chose to go - although I guess I shouldn't have been.

How much is she going to tell Clark (especially of the future), and what can they do to stop the "payment" that is now due?

I agree with SVsleuth - we need another update right now!

Comment

Absolutely brilliant.

Comment

Never would have seen that coming even when I had an idea of what was coming! I didn't expect Lana to pick the begining to start over from, but it made it that much better and the story longer than I thought it would be! wonderful! Clark must have his jaw on the floor right about now! I wonder how they will go about this! oh I just can't wait!!!

PPMS!!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎