Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timester
    Next week is a total gamble, since it is a DC Superhero episode and those usually get good ratings.
    Good point, I guess you're right.

Comment

We have to thank Clana to the rise of the ratings.

Or perhaps it's the Lexana? Hmmm....

Comment

We have already seen Ollie. I don't think putting him in different clothes will bring in more viewers especially after the awful Wither. It's logical that the ratings for each episode are affected by the previous episodes, so next week should be the lowest yet.

Luckily, we won't have Clana to blame for THAT. Right Timester?
        I think the new CW would love to have some of last season's Clana driven episode ratings like the 5.9s for Mortal and Hidden. I guess your waiting to see the tights and cape as he flies off from the Daily Planet. There's one episode. What about the next week?
        Last edited by Fly by guy; 10-13-2006, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Let me just say one thing. When you advertise a DC comics character, the episode will get good ratings. This episode was advertised as a Green Arrow episode and the next episode is advertised as a Green Arrow episode. Even in the second half of season 5, Cyborg got big ratings during a ratings decline. The real question is, will this GA arc be good enough to bring in viewers on a steady basis? I think it's pretty clear that this show is not good enough anymore to put up a Thirst type promo and get away with it with good ratings. So regardless of the fact that the ratings for this episode went up, it still doesn't prove that fans are tuning in for the main characters, it proves that fans are tuning in for the DC comics characters. And lets also remember that the ratings this season aren't anywhere near the ratings for last season.

Comment

Is this show about Green Arrow or about Clark? Yeah, Clark’ storyline is kind of boring now . Notice sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly by guy
              Luckily, we won't have Clana to blame for THAT. Right Timester?
              Did I ever blamed Clana for the ratings?

Originally posted by myankskent
              Let me just say one thing. When you advertise a DC comics character, the episode will get good ratings. This episode was advertised as a Green Arrow episode and the next episode is advertised as a Green Arrow episode. Even in the second half of season 5, Cyborg got big ratings during a ratings decline. The real question is, will this GA arc be good enough to bring in viewers on a steady basis? I think it's pretty clear that this show is not good enough anymore to put up a Thirst type promo and get away with it with good ratings. So regardless of the fact that the ratings for this episode went up, it still doesn't prove that fans are tuning in for the main characters, it proves that fans are tuning in for the DC comics characters. And lets also remember that the ratings this season aren't anywhere near the ratings for last season.
              Yep, that's why I said that next week episode is a gamble. It's so sad to see that Smallville is handling well due gimmicks and not the plot.
              Last edited by Timester; 10-13-2006, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScrappyTheOwl
                Look at the three major sources:
                Zap2It: http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/
                the futon critic: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings.aspx?id=thursday
                MediaWeek: http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newslett...ider/index.jsp

All three sources use Nielsen numbers of course, but only *specific* numbers. Nielsen has two data sources:

1. "National Measurement" - a sampling of 5,100 households(supposedly a "scientific [selection of] a group of households that mirrors the population at large" according to their website - Right.) -- all of the households have Nielsen "People Meters" so they know which person in a household is watching what when (this is how they get the numbers for how many women 18-49 are watching, for example)

2. "Local Measurement" (also called "metered market ratings") - a sampling of 22,400-28,000 households in the 56 biggest markets in the U.S. (the biggest markets has the biggest spenders -- obviously, advertisers would be very interested in the Local Measurement numbers)

[Household shares: all persons in each household all combined; Demographic shares: specific to age and/or sex, for example Adults 18-49 or Women 18-34.]

Zap2It and the futon critic use the "National Measurement" ratings for their household shares and demographic shares.

MediaWeek uses the "Local Measurement" ratings for their household shares, and the "National Measurement" ratings for their demographic shares.

That is why you'll find the household shares ratings are always different (MediaWeek drastically, Zap2It and the futon critic only vary slightly - given that they use the same measurement) while the demographic shares are always the same.

If a number were, for example, 3.0/5, it represents:
                3.0: called the "ratings point" -- this means that 3% of the total households in the U.S. were watching Smallville
                5: called the "share" -- this means that 5% of the TVs in the U.S. were tuned to Smallville

Does that make sense? The share is the percentage of TVs tuned in to Smallville, while the ratings point reflects the actual percentage of people in the households watching Smallville. For example, if you take a 5-member household in which 3 were watching and 2 weren't, you'd say that household has a 3.0/5 share.
                THANK YOU, SCRAPPY!!! That was so nice of you to take so much time to answer my questions!!

Weren't we in the 6's this time last year? Someone in an eariler ratings thread said that K-site has the history of ratings somewhere, but where? Anyone know? Just curious.

Comment

Yep, that's why I said that next week episode is a gamble. It's so sad to see that Smallville is handling well due gimmicks and not the plot.
                  And you know what? That'll be what gets them picked up. It's no coincidence that GA is going to be featured in a long arc. If he was only in one episode, the ratings would be really bad because the main characters are involved in terrible storylines, from lexana to Clark still not having scenes with Jor-El to Lex basically being a hero these days. I mean really, has this guy done anything remotely evil since Cyborg?

Originally posted by azi
                  Is this show about Green Arrow or about Clark? Yeah, Clark’ storyline is kind of boring now . Notice sarcasm.
                  Give TPTB credit. They know that DC comics characters get big ratings. Cyborg is a huge example of that considering the fact that the episodes around it, Hypnotic and Tomb, were much lower in terms of ratings than it. Since they've hit a brick wall with the main characters, they'll just continue to roll out more and more DC comics characters.
                  Last edited by myankskent; 10-13-2006, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by myankskent
                    Give TPTB credit. They know that DC comics characters get big ratings. Cyborg is a huge example of that considering the fact that the episodes around it, Hypnotic and Tomb, were much lower in terms of ratings than it. Since they've hit a brick wall with the main characters, they'll just continue to roll out more and more DC comics characters.

Word.

Comment

Saying this, can we stop once and for all with the "Clana = ratings" ********?
                      Yeah, that would be nice...

Comment

So it got a 4.9 rating? K...don't look at the 2.9/5 share stuff because its not the real rating, its the overnight (IIRC). Mediaweek usually posts the final rating.

BTW, is Smallville one of CW's highest rated shows? They moved 7th heaven around this past week, so I'm assuming some of these shows aren't doing so well.

Comment

The good Clana episodes have always been the highest ratings! Who wants to watch Lexana, Super Chloe, nice guy Lex, or Green Arrow! The main characters of Clark, Lana, and Martha have been destroyed by the writers! Smallville is over! Lexana sex was proof of how deperate they have become!

Most real Superman fan do not like seeing Clark as a wimp, Lana with Lex or Martha with Lionel. I am not crazy about Lana either but in the comic she was always true to Clark/Superman, even when she was kidnapped by Lex and was tortured.

Comment

Originally posted by buddy232
                            The good Clana episodes have always been the highest ratings! Who wants to watch Lexana, Super Chloe, nice guy Lex, or Green Arrow! The main characters of Clark, Lana, and Martha have been destroyed by the writers! Smallville is over! Lexana sex was proof of how deperate they have become!

Most real Superman fan do not like seeing Clark as a wimp, Lana with Lex or Martha with Lionel. I am not crazy about Lana either but in the comic she was always true to Clark/Superman, even when she was kidnapped by Lex and was tortured.
                            Important thing to remember is that being Tom & KK are considered two of the top three (at least billing wise)....so TPTB will generally write epic Clana stuff and put it into the Climatic important episodes. Episodes which even without the Clana would have garnered high ratings anyway. Hence, why I feel your "Clana = ratings" is (for everyone who constantly uses this argument) and always will be fairly flawed when presented the way you do here. Clana is only a part of this show. A part that I'm sure helps bring in ratings but certainly not all by itself. So to simply persue Clana just to please the Clana fans, and to ignore all the other fans that have stayed loyal to this show is a ratings disaster waiting to happen (especially with the CW's shakey start). To me it seems obvious that only Clana fans seem content with Clana anymore (actually for a long while now)....everybody else appears to be sick to death of it.

I think TPTB realize this, and hence why they try to keep Lana in a workable storyline (aka: with Lexy boy now). The ratings decline is also a combined effect that results not only from people sick of the Clana, but people upset that they are not getting the Clana, people who dislike this version of the BDA (as you mention), fans upset on how they're treating the Mythos, or simply people who are just sick to death of seeing Clark's God Awful Red Jacket.

(I myself prefer the blue jacket......at least it's better than the red one).

For the Record though.....I completely enjoyed "Wither"! Not just for the X-Files feel of it, but for all of the character interactions....give or take a little flaw, here and there (and despite Green Arrow being kind of a dick/jerk to Lex at the ball). I don't think I've enjoyed re-watching an episode (over and over) this much since "Solitude".

And I really enjoy Super Chloe! When there's good detective work involved that is. It's actually good training for the BDA. Good training for the Future when the World's Real "Greatest Detective".....(aka: The Batman) is showing Clarkie how things REALLY GET DONE!

[Forget Chlimmy! Let's Get "The Detectives" together.......Yes!.........Get down to the TRUTH with CHRUCE!

Ahhh, again as always....whom I kidding, they'll never go that route]
                            Last edited by CK&CK; 10-14-2006, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Next week is a total gamble, since it is a DC Superhero episode and those usually get good ratings.
                              i thought we were watchin a show about a DC charachter.

Comment

I'm sure SV can survive and even thrive sans Clana if it capitalises on all the other characters, arcs, and relationships (romantic and otherwise) it has. Zod and Sneeze went a long way I think toward this end. Wither had it's moments as well, but less so.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎