Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Ratings for Wither

When we get the ratings talk about them here.

ATTENTION

THIS THREAD IS TO DISCUSS TV RATINGS ONLY.

Please do not rate the episode and discuss it here. This is to discuss the tv ratings that the episode receives.

Anyone think the ratings will go higher this episode then the last 2? i hope so.

I don't think the rating will be higher than 4.4 millions, the episode was not that good.

Comment

Remember, though, that quality of the episode does not really affect it's numbers...it will have more of an impact on next week.

I will also say that, perhaps it is just me or my area, but I do not recally seeing much advertising concerning this episode, or Smallville in general. Were I not such a fan of the show, I would have completely forgotten to watch.

I have stated before and will state again, the PR/Marketing department for the CW is failing miserably. They spend more time promoting "The New CW" and not WHAT'S ON the new CW. I'm sure as heck not going to the new restaurant until I know what they serve.

Comment

i hope this week doesnt effect next weeks episode cause it seems like it will be a lot better. unless they decided to add in 5 other plotlines agian.

Comment

Zap2it.com

At 8 p.m., CBS' "Survivor" delivered a somewhat soft 9.4 rating, but still held off ABC's "Ugly Betty," which had a 9.3/15 (nearly two million viewers more watched the CBS reality show). NBC's "My Name Is Earl" and "The Office" averaged a 5.7/9 between them for third, well ahead of the start of the Cardinals and Mets on FOX. The CW's "Smallville" had a 2.9/5 for fifth.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman_Beyond
            Zap2it.com

At 8 p.m., CBS' "Survivor" delivered a somewhat soft 9.4 rating, but still held off ABC's "Ugly Betty," which had a 9.3/15 (nearly two million viewers more watched the CBS reality show). NBC's "My Name Is Earl" and "The Office" averaged a 5.7/9 between them for third, well ahead of the start of the Cardinals and Mets on FOX. The CW's "Smallville" had a 2.9/5 for fifth.
            Can someone please explain the numbers to me? Why does it say 2.9 on Zap2it, and 3.6 on the other site?

And how does this compare to last year at the same time?

And what does each number represent . . . the one before the slash, and the one after?

thanks
            Last edited by ajfinn; 10-13-2006, 10:32 AM.

Comment

From mediaweek

The CW’s Smallville (Overnights: #5, 3.6/ 6; Viewers: #5, 4.93 million; A18-49: #5, #4, 2.2/ 6) continues to hold its own in one of the most competitive hours in television

The CW’s Supernatural capped off the hour with a last-place 2.6/ 4 in the overnights, 3.70 million viewers and a 1.6/ 4 among adults 18-49. Considering the severity of the competition, retention for Supernatural out of Smallville of 72 percent in the overnights, 75 percent in total viewers and 73 percent among adults 18-49 was not bad. And both Smallville and Supernatural posted growth from one week earlier.

Comment

Better than last week, maybe even better than the premiere.

Comment

Wow. It did better than last week. Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Comment

We have to thank Clana to the rise of the ratings. Yes, that invisible Clana scene that happened in "Wither". Because we all know that Clana = ratings.

Saying this, can we stop once and for all with the "Clana = ratings" ********?

PS: For those who are wondering why I wrote this, read last week's episode rating thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ajfinn
                      Can someone please explain the numbers to me? Why does it say 2.9 on Zap2it, and 3.6 on the other site?
                      Look at the three major sources:
                      Zap2It: http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/
                      the futon critic: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings.aspx?id=thursday
                      MediaWeek: http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newslett...ider/index.jsp

All three sources use Nielsen numbers of course, but only *specific* numbers. Nielsen has two data sources:

1. "National Measurement" - a sampling of 5,100 households(supposedly a "scientific [selection of] a group of households that mirrors the population at large" according to their website - Right.) -- all of the households have Nielsen "People Meters" so they know which person in a household is watching what when (this is how they get the numbers for how many women 18-49 are watching, for example)

2. "Local Measurement" (also called "metered market ratings") - a sampling of 22,400-28,000 households in the 56 biggest markets in the U.S. (the biggest markets has the biggest spenders -- obviously, advertisers would be very interested in the Local Measurement numbers)

[Household shares: all persons in each household all combined; Demographic shares: specific to age and/or sex, for example Adults 18-49 or Women 18-34.]

Zap2It and the futon critic use the "National Measurement" ratings for their household shares and demographic shares.

MediaWeek uses the "Local Measurement" ratings for their household shares, and the "National Measurement" ratings for their demographic shares.

That is why you'll find the household shares ratings are always different (MediaWeek drastically, Zap2It and the futon critic only vary slightly - given that they use the same measurement) while the demographic shares are always the same.

Originally posted by ajfinn
                      And what does each number represent . . . the one before the slash, and the one after?
                      If a number were, for example, 3.0/5, it represents:
                      3.0: called the "ratings point" -- this means that 3% of the total households in the U.S. were watching Smallville
                      5: called the "share" -- this means that 5% of the TVs in the U.S. were tuned to Smallville

Does that make sense? The share is the percentage of TVs tuned in to Smallville, while the ratings point reflects the actual percentage of people in the households watching Smallville. For example, if you take a 5-member household in which 3 were watching and 2 weren't, you'd say that household has a 3.0/5 share.

Comment

How this week did better than last week blows my mind. What a bad episode to tune into and especially turn off from next week's.

Comment

Originally posted by superman_115
                          How this week did better than last week blows my mind. What a bad episode to tune into and especially turn off from next week's.
                          The ratings are always influenced by the previous episodes.

Comment

Which means the ratings for next one are going to be a disaster

Comment

Originally posted by Absolute Kingdom
                              Which means the ratings for next one are going to be a disaster
                              Next week is a total gamble, since it is a DC Superhero episode and those usually get good ratings.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎