No announcement yet.

They Cancelled Angel for this?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They Cancelled Angel for this?

Dark Shadows worked in the 1960's because nothing was ever seen on american television like it.

Angel was an established show with a huge following. But like so many times before network execs traded greatness for Kuso. Jordan Levin was supposedly the driving force behind replacing Angel with Dark Shadows. Smart move.

Dark Shadows could've worked ten years ago. When we were ingnorant to vampiric mobsters or vamp foo. Since the emergence of Angel and the short lived Kindred. Vampires on television and what fans expect from them would be changed forever. For me personally, after watching Angel even Forever Knight seemed lame.

Dark Shadows with its soap opera themes would've seemed slow and depressing when compared with shows like Angel and the foolishly cancelled, Kindred.

Dark Shadows should've remained in the shadows. Existing only as we remember it forty years ago.

I think, as many Angel fans did, you got your gossip confused for fact. Angel was killed in the same great sweep of 2004 that, also, killed the DS2004 production and the new Lost In Space. A lot of genre projects were tanked as the station wanted a 'new' direction at the time.

Comment

I never bought the story that DS had nothing to do with Angel being cancelled.

Fact of the matter was, WB had a bigger ownership in Dark Shadows than they had in Angel, which they had to pay a licensing fee to FOX for. Combine that with sore feelings over FOX taking Buffy to UPN... and there's your cancellation. Wasn't a smart move.

I think the biggest reason DS didn't happen is that the production was SUCH a mess. They didn't even get a director until April and it seems like all of the creative people hated each other. And honestly, Dan Curtis should have stayed out of it, because what he wanted to end up with was microwaved 1991 Dark Shadows.

It's sad because it could have been so cool.... but then I think... Barnabas with a mullet... and cringe.

Comment

Originally posted by jtfolden
        I think, as many Angel fans did, you got your gossip confused for fact. Angel was killed in the same great sweep of 2004 that, also, killed the DS2004 production and the new Lost In Space. A lot of genre projects were tanked as the station wanted a 'new' direction at the time.

Angel got killed because of their stupidity. Name one show where well over a million people not only signed a petition but went out of their way to take out two pages in a major magazine( and not one but several) to save a show? They fired the prick who pushed Angel out didn't they?

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎