No announcement yet.

What kind of senator is she?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of senator is she?

I'm confused right now, is Martha a "state senator" or a "U.S. Senate senator"? I'm having trouble distinguishing between "state senate" and "US Senate."

State Senator.

Comment

they shoud really give her a bigger role of that so far she hasnt done that much except make a few trips.

Comment

ya i know, but what would they have her do??

Comment

What is a state senator? No I'm not hieniously stupid- though I can't spell- just british and although I knew you had Congressmen and Senators I'm a little stuck as to what State Senators are/do.

Comment

i think the reason why there are not using her as much is because Clark is making more decision for himself so he can't me asking his mother for advice all the time, its not lois and clark.

Comment

What is a state senator? No I'm not hieniously stupid- though I can't spell- just british and although I knew you had Congressmen and Senators I'm a little stuck as to what State Senators are/do.
              Our governments operate on three levels, local, state and federal. U.S. Senators and Congressional Representatives operate within the federal government in Washington D.C. Martha Kent is a state Senator, she operates in Topeka, Kansas in the Kansas state senate. The state senates actually hold more power than the U.S. Senate. That's why gay marriage is legal in Massachusettes and abortion is illegal in South Carolina. Depending upon the political idealogy you have, this is a good or bad thing. Most conservatives perfer more power on the state and local levels, whereas most liberals perfer a more centralized federal power.

Typically how the U.S. Government is meant to work is the federal government is used for diplomacy and defense, while the state governments are used for domestic issues: taxes, energy, welfare, and health care, roads, etc. With local governments (county and city) dealing with policing, the fire fighting, water, etc. Although in recent years the federal government has taken a more active role in local issues.

I believe a storyline they're evolving is that Martha Kent is going to run for U.S. Senator.

Comment

Yeah, what JD2 said. I'm American and even I don't know how our government works, though they force us to learn it in school. (No one listens in my class.)

Comment

Martha WAS a Kansas State Senator. NOW she is one of the two US Senators representing Kansas.

Comment

Originally posted by krypton_gurl85
                    ya i know, but what would they have her do??
                    season 7 has been dubed (the mythos season)...Martha has gone to Washington with the financial backing of Oliver Queen and Lionel Luthor...Martha and Lionel are going to be on top of some VERRY BIG things... dealing with situations of Super Proportions!!we may not see her face much, but when The War starts, she will be fighting it from Capitol Hill, and Clark and all his pals will be in the trenches...
                    Last edited by cksidekick; 06-19-2007, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I don't get it, how Martha can go from being a housewife to a senator?

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                        I don't get it, how Martha can go from being a housewife to a senator?
                        When Jonathan died after he had been elected to the state senate the Governor of Kansas can at his option choose who will take his seat. The Governor asked Martha if she was willing to take her husbands seat. She said yes. That is how she went from a housewife to a senator.

Comment

Actually, the part I don't get is not as much about the actual event, rather how someone who's been a housewife for over 20 years (also, I'm not sure, but I think there were some reference in an earlier season, where it was stated that Martha had never graduated from college) can be made into a senator? She's never even had any real jobs before, exept assistant to Lionel Luthor and boss of the Talon, which wouldn't really make her into your first choice for senator (unless, getting political jobs in Kansas is easier, then in the rest of the world).

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

That is how politics works... I have no issue seeing how being a housewife with no experience would get in the way of that...

Comment

technically there are no job requirements to run for government

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎