Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did ABC cancel Lois and Clark so suddenly?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

THey had to speed things up with the marriage, the comics where waiting for the show´s wedding to do it on our beloved printed media, in fact the Death of SUperman and Zero hour were originaly an arc created to make time so that the LnC could develope Clois relationship to the point of marriage, so the show was kind off hurried cause in the comics they couldnt find more reasons to hold up their impending wedding, IN the comics they wer engaged from 91 or 92 dont remmeber exactly untill the LnC wedding ocurred in the show, some years after that. They got married the same day in the comic and in the show and Im not talking timeline wise, im talking that the issue of the wedding came out was the same as the day they aired the wedding episode.

Comment

Which wedding episode?

I know that the FIRST wedding with the horrid CLone arc was because DC said, "No, we're not ready for the wedding yet" and L&C was forced to make do....I'm not sure if DC and L&C coincided the SECOND wedding but by then it was too late anyways....the damage had been done and L&C was on its way down, down, down......

Comment

The real wedding, not the one with the Clone obviously.

Comment

On the S4 DVD, is it known if they will explain what would have happened in season five? I think they should clarify that. We've been waiting for nearly ten years!

Comment

I don't know, but I hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by Superboy2
              On the S4 DVD, is it known if they will explain what would have happened in season five? I think they should clarify that. We've been waiting for nearly ten years!
              I honestly doubt it

Comment

I did look at www.tvshowondvd.com, and it looks like the only bonus stuff is something called kryptonian chronology. It probably just a history of Superman or something like that.

Comment

Since Season 5 never happened....I doubt it. It doesn't matter what was "planned". It never happened, therefore it won't be on any official DVD's, etc.

Comment

Are you sure? It could happen if they want to show the outlines for the fifth season.

Comment

After a comment I saw on this message board I really believe they should write novels about the unaired 5th and 6th seasons....They wouldn't even need actors, just good writers

Comment

Are you sure? It could happen if they want to show the outlines for the fifth season.
                        It's not gonna happen, sorry

Comment

Maybe they should do the book series.

Comment

Hi Guys!

I have been re-watching seasons and stumbled on this thread. I don't want to rehash a fairly old thread but I just had some ideas on this topic. I would gather from the rushed plots and romance of Lois and Clark that the writers and creators feared for the show from day one. That's why they didn't linger on their romance, or etc. They wanted to give the fans as much as possible in case the axe fell. Which I am glad they did, if ABC didn't like the genre, (seeing as LnC were ahead of their time and now the airwaves are teaming with sci-fi) they were going to cancel it no matter what.

Not to mention the sets, special effects, and etc cost much more money than the advertisers were giving ABC. Perhaps if the show had been aired in this era, they would have done much better and had been funded for much longer. With TV they always have to plan like this show could be the last, I am grateful we had a s3 and s4, and saw some hokey parts but I loved we finally got LnC together. If they hadn't rushed through, the show might have been cancelled because fans were tired of waiting, and if you watch all the eps at once like I have been doing...it did take a fairly long time! Even in TV time.

As a kid watching it seemed like 8yrs! So they wrote and fought for the show to stay alive and give us even a small bit of what we wanted. Imagine if they had cancelled when Clark proposed?! That would have sucked. I know everyone loves the show, and didn't like seeing some storylines play out, but I for one am glad we got 4 seasons, hokey or not, to watch.

Shows like LnC and others from the 1990's paved the way for other shows that were so much more successful in later years. Smallville, Once Upon a Time, Buffy, Angel, TVD, Glee (oh wait not that one haha) even Supernatural. If LnC hadn't fought and been a staple for even its brief time, those shows might not have gotten a chance to be on TV. When I think bad seasons of a show, the post WB UPN episodes of Buffy are probably the worst. Scattered, plotless, with no established character basis. Writing to fill time, and forgetting the heart of the show, and its characters. At least with LnC they stuck true to Lois and Clark's persona, even if s3 had Lois in emotional conflict it paved the way for Teri's role on Desperate Housewives. Another show ABC reaped from, and wasn't happy with the first seasons.

When I think long overly drawn out romance it's a toss up between Mike and Susan on DH, or Dr Quinn and Sully. Or THE longest, Scully and Mulder. Now those shows were extended so far into a courtship plot, they bored me to tears waiting for anything to happen. It was hard considering LnC were the main characters in a show named after them not to be pushed together and have the plot revolve around them without rushing the story. With those other shows they had other larger casts to pick and choose who's story was one week, and/or what crazy adventure those cast members would get into.

Lois and Clark were kinda always a team, always together. It made it hard not to put them together, and draw out a fated romance everyone wanted and eventually got. If they had ripped them apart I'm not sure how they could have written half of a show without a main cast member. I don't think Lois could have had a story, a true story without Superman saving her or vice versa. They were like salt and pepper, fric and frac, Abbott and Castello, Lucy and Desi, it wouldn't have worked with a singular. So what better way then making them fixtures in each others lives, romantic or not. I would say though, even vague and infuriating, the X-Files nailed the "extended romance" aspect. Though even the later seasons they were fairly odd, and sulky Scully driven, esp without Mulder. Darn you David.

Obviously, even almost 20 years later I still hold a candle for this show. It must have some pull! Reading reviews online, others seem to love it too even if they thought it lost its way. I can only imagine fighting for a show, and being under so much pressure from the network to make it work can make anyone's story seem rough. Just glad I got to see it, even if it did end on a cliffhanger anyway.

Just figured I'd throw that out there. Try to take it easy on s3-s4, they may have been dull at times but at least they were there to watch.

PS: The show had such an impact we even got a "Robot Chicken" skit about it.
                            Last edited by Laurencia7; 04-13-2013, 11:10 PM. Reason: misspelled word, poor grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-ed
                              THey had to speed things up with the marriage, the comics where waiting for the show´s wedding to do it on our beloved printed media, in fact the Death of SUperman and Zero hour were originaly an arc created to make time so that the LnC could develope Clois relationship to the point of marriage, so the show was kind off hurried cause in the comics they couldnt find more reasons to hold up their impending wedding, IN the comics they wer engaged from 91 or 92 dont remmeber exactly untill the LnC wedding ocurred in the show, some years after that. They got married the same day in the comic and in the show and Im not talking timeline wise, im talking that the issue of the wedding came out was the same as the day they aired the wedding episode.
                              In the comic, and in LnC they both got married on October 6, 1996? That's cool and weird was the comic following the shows story or plot, or was the show following the comic? I didn't even know they intertwined like that.

Comment

One reason it was canned is because Michael Eisner said they didn't check with him. That was right after Disney and ABC came together. An agreement had been made that if ABC would carry The Rosie O'Donnell Show Lois and Clark would get season 5. That comes from Superman Vs Hollywood by the way. However Eisner said since they didn't approve it with him due to the merger that agreement wouldn't happen so the plug was pulled. In its place they put The Wonderful World Of Disney which ran for a few seasons. Ironically I do believe Wonderful World Of Disney is where Kristin Kreuk's Snow White movie aired.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎