Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superman II:The Adventure Continues (1980)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superman II:The Adventure Continues (1980)

The movie starts after the first left off,the evil Kryptonians Ursa,Non and Zod arrive to Earth after the Phantom Zone exploded and set them free.Meanwhile,on Earth,Superman loses his powers and falls in love with Lois Lane becoming entirely human.Lex Luthor escapes from prison and uses the Kryptonians for his own gain.

Discuss everything about the movie here,the film starred the late
    Christopher Reeve,Margot Kidder and Gene Hackman.
    Directed by Richard Donner.

Note:There are 2 versions of the film,the expanded and the theatrical edition.

Also a great film. It was hurt by the fact that richard lester completed it and left out a lot of donner's stuff. If it wasn't for Donner's contibution it would have been terrible. I love the scene after Clark gets his powers back, returns to the truck stop where he got his ass kicked by a truck driver, and kicks the truck driver's ass!

Comment

Yeah I love the end of Superman II!!So funny!! then
      My favorite scene is when Clark recovers his powers and then
      returns to fight with Zod.

"General would you care to step outside??"
      Last edited by Shinzon2004; 05-18-2006, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mansuper
        Also a great film. It was hurt by the fact that richard lester completed it and left out a lot of donner's stuff. If it wasn't for Donner's contibution it would have been terrible. I love the scene after Clark gets his powers back, returns to the truck stop where he got his ass kicked by a truck driver, and kicks the truck driver's ass!
        I love that scene as well. Although I think my absolute favorite part is when he crushes Zod's hand.

Comment

Ha, those are two of my favorites as well.(the truck driver and the hand crushing).

Also, the moment of desperation...Clark returns to the Fortress calling out for Jor-El and Lara. He know's Zod will destroy the planet if he doesn't regain his powers...just as he gives up yelling, we hear a faint hum that grows in intesity and he sees the green crystal that gave the Fortress life in the first film...
          He picks it up and the glow grows in intesity...

Man, I love that part, I love that they don't show what happens after that. We go straight to the Daily Planet.

Also, amazing movie...wouldn't have been without Richard Donner's contribution. I can't believe they fired him. Well they paid for it in the rest of the series...

Comment

Best scene: Superman breaking Zod's hand and the music rises 10 times the previous volume.

Comment

I can't wait to see the added footage on the donner cut this summer. But it was a hell of a film tho

Comment

I just read this on imdb:

"Actor Gene Hackman did not return for the second film and all his scenes were originally filmed by director Richard Donner. Existing scenes that required Hackman used a look-alike and a voice impersonator to add any lines needed."

It's the first I've heard of this, anyone know if there's any truth in it?

Comment

I think that Gene Hackman appeared in some of the scenes but not in the entire movie.Mostly because it was shot by 2 directors,
                  by Richard Donner and Richard Lester.

The Richard Lester version is the theatrical edition (the one we know and have it on the original DVD realese)and the
                  Donner version is the one that has the expanded footage.
                  The Donner version is the famous "Superman II Extended edition".In Richard Donner s version Gene Hackman does appears in almost the entire movie plus it has an alternate ending.

Richard Donner s version is even better than Lester s version.
                  Director Bryan Singer has incorporated some of the Donner footage into the new Superman Returns movie,essentialy the footage that Donner shot of Marlon Brando as Jor El.

The Richard Donner version will appear,apparently,in the new
                  Superman Movie 14 DVD set....most people have seen the Donner version on TV,aka the Expanded Edition.
                  All of the Superman films have expanded footage.
                  I never seen the Donner version,I only seen the Lester edition
                  which is the one that was shown in theaters and the one that was realesed to DVD circa 2001.

I am sure that Hackman completed his lines but only in the
                  Richard Donner version,that is why we dont see him at all in Lester s edition or he appears in very few scenes.

Comment

Still my favorite Superman movie of all time, maybe my favorite MOVIE of all time. No villains will ever top General Zod, Non, and Ursa. They are the gold standard for movie villains IMO. I'd love to see them again in a Superman reboot. Of course, I'd want Brandon Routh to come back and play Superman, but I won't hold my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by mansuper
                      Agree completley. What bugged me most was the stupidity in some scenes i.e. the guy on roller blades and cutting Jor-El out.

Comment

Originally posted by Stebob1984
                        Agree completley. What bugged me most was the stupidity in some scenes i.e. the guy on roller blades and cutting Jor-El out.
                        I wouldn't call the omission of Jor-El "stupid" because he was demanding a huge sum of money for such a small appearance. Now you can think of Marlon Brandon as the end-all, be-all actor, and I know there are tons of examples in Hollywood over the decades of actors commanding huge amounts of money, but when it's for ten minutes of screentime I tend to think it's excessive. Not to mention it also allowed Lara, Kal-El's mother and a very underdeveloped character in almost every incarnation, a chance to be featured.

Comment

Originally posted by j03superbat
                          I wouldn't call the omission of Jor-El "stupid" because he was demanding a huge sum of money for such a small appearance. Now you can think of Marlon Brandon as the end-all, be-all actor, and I know there are tons of examples in Hollywood over the decades of actors commanding huge amounts of money, but when it's for ten minutes of screentime I tend to think it's excessive. Not to mention it also allowed Lara, Kal-El's mother and a very underdeveloped character in almost every incarnation, a chance to be featured.
                          The stupidity was the humour. Removing Jor-El may have been to save money but it ruins the film. Its Jor-Els lifeforce that is in the fortress not Lara's. Plus when he gets his powers back you don't see how, its just ridiculous plus if you notice when he enters the FOS he asks for his father not his mother. Give me Donner's Cut anyday over Lester's campy version.

Comment

Originally posted by Stebob1984
                            lol I don't think roller blades were around back then. I think they were just plain old roller skates.

----- Added 57 Seconds later -----

As to the Lester stuff, I don't have a problem with it. I fell in love with that movie long before I knew about the Lester/Donner drama. I've since seen the Donner version and I liked it, but I think I'm more used to the Lester version after all these years.
                            Last edited by HeroesUnlimited; 01-17-2010, 12:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

In the late 1950's, there were plans for a Superman movie (with George Reeves), where he would go up against a Kryptonian army. However, it proved too expensive for the time.

Superman II did a good job at escelation. In the first Superman went up against a criminal mastermind. Here he has to deal with the superpowered villains. It's also good that this wasn't the first one. You know, the Donnerverse becomes aware of Superman, when he saves Lois' life in a helicopter accident. Then he's spent some time saving more people. They didn't become aware of him, during this invasion. Meaning they have a pre-existing, positive view of the Man of Steel. No one is going to blame him for the invasion by Zod.

Thought Lex got a rather low prison sentense for his actions.

Can hardly believe the action scenes in this one... I can actually see what is going on. There are no quick cuts or flashing lights, that makes it impossible for you to see what is going on.

Having recently read Patti Lupone's autobiography (in which she talks about an incident involving fellow Julliard alumni, Christopher Reeve), I found it funny that there is an ad for the musical Evita on the side of a bus, during the Metropolis battle.

Not very interested in discussing the Lester version versus the Donner cut, but I probably have no choice. In my opion, neither is a great movie. One could argue that Clark tripping over a rug, is stupid, but so is Lois exposing his identity by pointing a gun at him. For one thing, his powers should've allowed him to see that the gun was empty and there was no bullet fired. If anything, Lois jumping out of a window and pointing a gun at someone is worse. Tripping over a rug may be stupid, but jumping out of windows and pointing guns at people would get Lois committed.

I actually like that they replaced Jor-El with Lara in the Lester cut. Lara is often an underdevelop character. And why wouldn't she also be allowed to speak to their son also? If anything it makes more sense, that Kal-El goes to her, when it comes to relationship stuff. In the first film, it's never said that Jor-El is the only one Supes can talk to in the Fortress. So, it's hardly contradicting established continuity.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎