Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caroline Dries- Writer for Oracle

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked this episode and Cyborg too, very strong and interesting episodes. Although to be fair to the other SV writers, it would have been difficult to do a bad job with this set up. I mean, Caroline Dries wasn't told to write an episode about an exploding baby or a hypno-seductress or Lana as a vampire. If Cyborg and Oracle are the episodes that she's been given to write then she's one lucky writer to get such interesting scenarios for episodes.

Comment

i think this may be my new favorite or at least top 3 it was very well writen and had a great story line I really liked this eppy

Comment

Originally posted by MBCorp
        I liked this episode and Cyborg too, very strong and interesting episodes. Although to be fair to the other SV writers, it would have been difficult to do a bad job with this set up. I mean, Caroline Dries wasn't told to write an episode about an exploding baby or a hypno-seductress or Lana as a vampire. If Cyborg and Oracle are the episodes that she's been given to write then she's one lucky writer to get such interesting scenarios for episodes.
        Agreed.

She really brought it to what she had, though. The dialogue in this ep was crackling.

Comment

Originally posted by canon
          I was wrong to write that this is the only episode she wrote. Actually, she wrote both Cyborg and Oracle. She's new writer for Smallville this season.
          i liked cyborg and this epi... great job

Comment

Caroline Dries is the first welcome addition to the SV staff in a while. She gets the small stuff right, which is key.

Steven S. DeKnight is very hit and miss. I mean, how on Earth did the same person write 'Onyx' and 'Ageless'? Todd Slavkin & David Swimmer are trustworthy on the big episodes, but less so on the smaller ones. They seem to click with Greg Beeman.

However, looking back at my favorite early episodes shows me the best writers are gone. Al Gough and Miles Millar never write for SV anymore. Mark Verheiden has left. So has Jeph Loeb.

Comment

Originally posted by dhacker615
              Caroline Dries is the first welcome addition to the SV staff in a while. She gets the small stuff right, which is key.
              It's amazing how so many writers just don't follow through when it comes to getting the small stuff right. It's an attitude toward the material -- a respect -- that makes a lot of difference. It shows in Caroline's writing.

Comment

Caroline did a good job. I find it interesting that it takes a new writer to do the only two episodes I have enjoyed since Solitude.
                Maybe they could steal a Lost or Invasion writer but not a What About Brian writer because they already have triangle going after ONE episode.
                Keep it going Caroline..

Comment

Do you know what show Caroline worked on before this one?

Comment

She's been previously credited as a writers' assistant on Smallville on IMDB and her name is on a few articles on the Smallville Torch page, but other than that I don't think she's really done any professional writing.

Cyborg and Oracle are her only professional credits as a writer that I have been able to find....
                    Last edited by triplet; 05-07-2006, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I liked this episode and thought the writing was excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by triplet
                        She's been previously credited as a writers' assistant on Smallville on IMDB and her name is on a few articles on the Smallville Torch page, but other than that I don't think she's really done any professional writing.

Cyborg and Oracle are her only professional credits as a writer that I have been able to find....
                        Pretty impressive debut.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly by guy
                          Caroline did a good job. I find it interesting that it takes a new writer to do the only two episodes I have enjoyed since Solitude.
                          Maybe they could steal a Lost or Invasion writer but not a What About Brian writer because they already have triangle going after ONE episode.
                          Keep it going Caroline..
                          They clearly need some fresh blood, or more to the point to have done better with the fresh blood they've gotten. Go back to any of the first three seasons, pick your top 5 episodes and there is a very good chance that person doesn't write for SV anymore. Consider:
                          - Al Gough and Miles Millar haven't written an episode themselves since "Crusade".
                          - Jeph Loeb who co-wrote "Red", co-wrote "Insurgence" and wrote the comic "For All Seasons" on which a lot this was based been gone since "Unsafe" in Season 4.
                          - Ken Biller who co-wrote "Insurgence", wrote and Directed "Shattered" has been gone since Season 3 and "Talisman".
                          - Mark Veriheiden who wrote 12 episodes, including "X-Ray", "Perry" and "Zero" left after Season 3.

Really, of writers left that were on board that were involved in the episodes that got me into the show are Todd Slavkin & Darren Swimmer, who have written 17 episodes since joining the staff in season 2 and 5 (Arrival, Aqua, Solitude, Hypnotic and Fragile) so far this season. The last two were pretty sloppy, so maybe these guys are a bit over-worked.

Steven S. DeKnight was a decent enough addition in Season 4 with episodes like "Run", but most of the lame witches and goblins (i.e. "Spell", "Ageless", "Thirst") stuff has come from him as well.

Look at the credits on the lamest filler episodes sometime. Nine times out of ten it is a writer that is new, or has never written a good episode. That is why Caroline Dries is such a relief.

They need to beef up the staff, if they are going to proceed into S6. Cut back on the workload for Slavkin & Swimmer a bit. Control DeKnight's affection for the supernatural, that is the show that airs later that night.

Rather than raiding the staff of "Lost" (which SV probably cannot afford), why not bring in a couple comic book writers. I am sure TV writers make more money than comic writers. I am equally sure that you could get one or two to live in LA for a couple years if they don't already. Get big enough names and it would build some buzz around the show. Pair them with an experienced TV writer on their first script, if you need to. I can name a half dozen that would break the internet if they wrote even 2-3 episodes next year. For example:
                          - Grant Morrison
                          - Warren Ellis
                          - Mark Waid
                          - Kurt Busiek
                          - Neil Gaiman
                          - James Robinson

Really, anyone from the Wizard Top 10 would do the trick. There are not a lot of comic readers anymore, but they are the mavens for the genre. The buzz starts with them. Throw the a couple favorites and the ratings will improve.
                          Last edited by dhacker615; 05-07-2006, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I haven't seen this episode but I think this is the episode where Pa Kent dies played by John S. and I he only signed a five year so season 5 will be the last season with him unless he comes back in one of the 6th season episodes .

Clark 32

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎