No announcement yet.

Lois is all about herself!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chiriru
    She's a rude nasty ingrate that depends on nepotism for everything in her life from her job to her living arrangements. It's really revolting when held up to Lois' of past years.
    ouch..but you are right. I just think that the writers are trying to build the sexual tension between her and clark.
    At first i thought she was just the opposite of lana but now she getting quite needy and always fallin' for the dangerous types.

Comment

Originally posted by alienkinfolk
      I just think that the writers are trying to build the sexual tension between her and clark.
      Why? It's not we'll ever see them together.

If they want to make this series about Clark and Lois, then why even call the series Smallville?

This story meant to be about Clark's life before all that, yet every episode we're reminded again and again about something that's nowhere near of ever happening on the series.

Comment

At first i thought she was just the opposite of lana but now she getting quite needy and always fallin' for the dangerous types.
        Do you think so? I thought her attraction to that guy came right out of the clear blue skies. And I don't remember Lois being attracted to anyone else but Aquaman. I was taking her at her word for what she said to Martha about her past, but on SV -- she's been pretty independent.

Comment

Originally posted by Watching Smallville
          Do you think so? I thought her attraction to that guy came right out of the clear blue skies. And I don't remember Lois being attracted to anyone else but Aquaman.
          okay i might have been reachin' with the dangerous types bit. let me re tract that statement. it's just she hasn't won me over yet. too me she doesn't fit quite easily in the SV mold yet.She has no purpose.

Originally posted by Kreukie
          Why? It's not we'll ever see them together.

i wouldn't say that just yet. As quick as they threw this lexana together this season...Clark and lois hooking up is quite possibe next season.
          Last edited by alienkinfolk; 04-28-2006, 11:31 PM.

Comment

i wouldn't say that just yet. As quick as they threw this lexana together this season...Clark and lois hooking up is quite possibe next season.
            Why is this series even called Smallville again if they're going to do that?

So we're going to see the same angst like Clana, just with Clois?

Since I can't see Clark being with Lois during his teen years for it to last until he becomes Superman, without Lois not questioning him about why he disappears all the time.

Comment

Tptb just might start off a clark and lois ship w/ him being honest.kinda like a mary/jane peter parker thing.

Comment

Tptb just might start off a clark and lois ship w/ him being honest.kinda like a mary/jane peter parker thing.
                Oh boy, if Clois happens next season, will Clark be flying and working at the Daily Planet too?

Comment

yeah cause the writers are in some kinda rush we don't know about

Comment

I honestly don't see the mean in Lois that some of you are talking about--with the exception of her remarks about Maddie (but I also think that was more caricature than character).

She's blunt. She often speaks before she thinks and that is her biggest problem. Foot in mouth. Her social skills seem lacking--immature. But I don't see the mean. I rewatched the episode just for this thread, and the only time she sounds even close to mean was when she snapped at Clark--and like others have pointed out, she had prior experience with Clark/Aqua that gave her license. Also, Clark didn't exactly give her much information, so who could blame her?

I also disagree about the nepotism. I think she has been in the right place at the right time, and because she is aggressive, politics kind of suit her. Qualified? Maybe not. But she does rise to the occasion.

And don't argue back with me about the whole kicked out of college thing. (I guess you can argue if you want, but I won't see your side on this issue.) I went to a "party school" there was a lot of irresponsible behavior. Involving alcohol. And yet people managed to eventually find themselves, figure out what they wanted, grew up, and were successful. So will Lois. But not by next week.

I hope Clark and Lois continue to spar. I hope their friendship continues to grow a little at a time. And I hope they don't get together until after the series is over.

If you want to witness real mean girls, come observe the triumvirate I have in my 6th period class. They take the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss L
                      I honestly don't see the mean in Lois that some of you are talking about--with the exception of her remarks about Maddie (but I also think that was more caricature than character).

She's blunt. She often speaks before she thinks and that is her biggest problem. Foot in mouth. Her social skills seem lacking--immature. But I don't see the mean. I rewatched the episode just for this thread, and the only time she sounds even close to mean was when she snapped at Clark--and like others have pointed out, she had prior experience with Clark/Aqua that gave her license. Also, Clark didn't exactly give her much information, so who could blame her?

I also disagree about the nepotism. I think she has been in the right place at the right time, and because she is aggressive, politics kind of suit her. Qualified? Maybe not. But she does rise to the occasion.

And don't argue back with me about the whole kicked out of college thing. (I guess you can argue if you want, but I won't see your side on this issue.) I went to a "party school" there was a lot of irresponsible behavior. Involving alcohol. And yet people managed to eventually find themselves, figure out what they wanted, grew up, and were successful. So will Lois. But not by next week.

I hope Clark and Lois continue to spar. I hope their friendship continues to grow a little at a time. And I hope they don't get together until after the series is over.

If you want to witness real mean girls, come observe the triumvirate I have in my 6th period class. They take the cake.
                      Another good post. I'm not sure why Lois comes across as mean to some people and not to others. She certainly doesn't seem that way to me. I see her just expressing herself in a reactive way, similar to people who have nervous laughter after everything they say. It's her norm. But is she cruel? Absolutely not. Her surface layer is tough; she probably tries to appear that way to keep others away. Apparently it's working for quite a few here too.

She's a rude nasty ingrate that depends on nepotism for everything in her life from her job to her living arrangements. It's really revolting when held up to Lois' of past years.
                      I gotta go with "ouch" on this one too. Kinda harsh.

Comment

Great post, Miss L. I don't get the "mean" part, either. I've never seen Lois try to hurt anyone, or anyone's feelings.

Comment

think that sums it up. Unlike everyone else, her character isn't an archtype. She doesn't have a purpose in Smallville; she doesn't even have the place that Lois Lane would normally have in a story
                          ED's Lois actually is an archetype and an amalgam of Lois Lanes throughout that character's history. It's impossible to say what her 'place' in a story would be since she's not her future self yet. There's no definitive answer as to how Lois Lane became a reporter no more than there's a definitive answer to how Clark Kent became Superman. You'll simply see variations throughout the myth's history. In the radio show Clark came to Earth fully grown.

And because she's just there she has to fill the role that SV didn't have - that of the bafoon, the character that you laugh at their idiocrasy instead of wit, and their stupid actions instead of how clever they are
                          That's harsh. Some actresses who played Lois were good at physical and visual humor, Teri Hatcher in particular, but Margot Kidder had her moments too and I think ED is good also. Lois expresses her wit in sarcasm, not Noel Coward bon mots. Watch the first couple of Superman movies, L&C, the old George Reeves show, especially with Phyllis Coates playing Lois, or the animated series. Sometimes her sarcasm crosses the line and becomes cruel. Sometimes she apologizes and other times she's unaware that she crossed the line at all.

But, Pete was funny. Pete was compassionate. Pete wasn't mean unless he was on something. EDLois' humor is always at someone elses expense - I don't find it humorous, I find it *cruel.*
                          Like I said, she could be cruel. Teri's Lois called Clark a "hack from nowhweresville" and that not only insulted his writing by calling him a hack, it insulted his hometown. It sounds a lot meaner than calling him Richie Cunningham

There's no nepotism since that means getting a job from a relative and she's not related to the Kents even by marriage yet She's certainly not an ingrate. She worked at the Talon for Martha and helped Jonathan find Martha in the rubble of the collapsed farmhouse. She thanked the Kents for everything they'd done for her and said they were the parents she always wanted.

Jonathan made Lois his campaign manager because she, unlike Clark, was keeping up with Jonathan's campaign and that's how she knew the other campaign manager was making up quotes and putting them in the paper saying they were Jonathan's quotes. Lois worked hard for him and even took the blame for Martha accepting money from Lionel.

I realize she won't win no matter what she does. When Lois was doing reporting for the Torch, there were some who complained that Lois was usurping Chloe's role on the show and so when the writers gave Lois a role away from journalism, it merely gave them an excuse to say ED's Lois isn't the real Lois because she's not into journalism. But for me, I like her and look forward to the episodes she's in and enjoyed her in Fade very much.
                          Last edited by batfinx; 04-29-2006, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watching Smallville
                            I don't get the "mean" part, either. I've never seen Lois try to hurt anyone, or anyone's feelings.
                            I DO see her hurting others' feelings and not regretting it. She doesn't seem to care about the effect her words/actions have on others as long as she can say the blunt, and even cruel, things that come to her mind.

For instance, she was hurtful and judgemental to Clark in "Pariah" publicly when she barely knew him and had not right to make that comment. And she never apologized to him.

In real life you have to measure your words. If someone doesn't just because "she's like that" that's not an excuse. You are still hurtful, even if the recipient of the harsh words is kind, or blind, enough to let them pass.

Unlike everyone else, her character isn't an archtype. She doesn't have a purpose in Smallville; she doesn't even have the place that Lois Lane would normally have in a story.

She's just there.

And because she's just there she has to fill the role that SV didn't have - that of the bafoon, the character that you laugh at their idiocrasy instead of wit, and their stupid actions instead of how clever they are.

She's there to make us laugh - she's like Pete.

But, Pete was funny. Pete was compassionate. Pete wasn't mean unless he was on something. EDLois' humor is always at someone elses expense - I don't find it humorous, I find it *cruel.*
                            I completely agree on all that!
                            Last edited by whiteflag; 04-29-2006, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteflag
                              I DO see her hurting others' feelings and not regretting it. She doesn't seem to care about the effect her words/actions have on others as long as she can say the blunt, and even cruel, things that come to her mind.
                              If she does say something hurtful, it isn't intentional. She's frank, she says what she thinks. She doesn't tip toe around people. To me, in SV, that's a breath of fresh air. Sometimes she's awkward, but I don't recall her making any cruel remarks.

"Mean" people are intentionally hurtful. That's the difference.

Comment

Fabulous post batfinx. Really enjoyed reading your rebuttal. Excellent points made.

Hi Whiteflag. xx

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎