Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chole_fan
    The CW’s Supernatural (Viewers: #5, 3.23 million; A18-49: #5, 1.2/ 3), which managed to stay somewhat alive in the toughest hour in prime-time.

Source
    Thank you for posting this! I had been wondering all day whether the ratings would go up or down. Nice to see them up, for a change. This bodes well, IMO. I really wonder if the early free release of the season premiere on iTunes made a difference or not. Hmm...

Comment

im glad the ratings went up. all the other shows went down i think so supernatural being like one of the only shows going up proves that this show can last a while.

Comment

Originally posted by superhippie2000
        im glad the ratings went up. all the other shows went down i think so supernatural being like one of the only shows going up proves that this show can last a while.
        Man, I just hope the CW execs see it this way.

Comment

Good news. The CW's very happy about Jus In Bello's ratings.

THE WINCHESTER BOYS BATTLE AN ARMY OF DEMONS, SCARING UP SEASON HIGHS FOR "SUPERNATURAL"
          Released by The CW
          [NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE WINCHESTER BOYS BATTLE AN ARMY OF DEMONS, SCARING UP SEASON HIGHS FOR "SUPERNATURAL"

SUPERNATURAL Also Scores Its Second Largest Audience of the Season

February 22, 2008 (Burbank, CA) - An original SUPERNATURAL (9:00-10:00p.m.) scored the show's best performance of the season in adults 18-34 (1.4/4-tie), adults 18-49 (1.3/3-tie) and men 18-34 (1.5/4), according to preliminary live plus same day Nielsen ratings for Thursday, Feb. 21, 2008.

SUPERNATURAL also pulled in its second largest audience of the season (3.22 million, just 17,000 viewers shy of its season best).

With an encore SUPERNATURAL as its lead-in, the original SUPERNATURAL improved over last week's episode in all categories, including 7% in adults 18-34, 8% in adults 18-49 and 7% in total viewers.
          http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20080222cw01

Comment

This is excellent news, especially since Thursday's episode was a very strong mytharc storyline. I have no doubt that show will be renewed for a 4th season for various reasons, but this just makes it more firmly established. I guess we'll find out in May for sure.

It also shows that SPN doesn't need Smallville to retain viewers.

Comment

im glad the series is doing well. and next season i think is smallvilles last so if supernatural gets a 5th season thats if it gets a fourth it could probably take over smallville spot for top place on the CW. thats if ratings go from 3 to 4 for the highest ratings of the season. this show just keeps getting better so im sure it will be even better next season. and hopefully next season it will be steady like season 1 because 2 and 3 were a bit rough with the not sure it was being renewed to not sure if it will have a full season cause of the strike this season.

Comment

Awesome News Thanks For Posting Fingers Crossed There Will Be A Season 4

Comment

So I've looked it up a lot online and I'm not much closer to understanding the ratings thing.

Things I'm not clear on-

Ok so they are called Nielson ratings. When i looked it up, the first thing I got was wiki. It said that they get ratings by calling up families and asking them to use a TV diary, where they write down which shows they watched for the week. Then the families report it to them.

First of all that is really ghetto. Secondly they said they also put a chip in TVs which is a much more accurate telling of what viewers are watching. And it's more statistically random than the previous option with diaries. But they made it sound like there isn't a chip in EVERY TV. How do you get one of these chips in your TV....in order to count for ratings?? Does it say something when you buy the TV?

I ALSO read that they obviously count DVRs now which is great because I have one. BUT what I want to know is, do you have to be watching the show as it is airing in order for it to count in the final ratings?? I heard a rumor that if you watch it within the first 24 hrs of recording it, that they will count that in the ratings? Does anyone know if this is true??

LOL I have never been more interested in ratings because this will be my first year watching Superntural on TV and I want to COUNT!!! (I started liking it last fall but I got behind in some epis so I forced myself to wait to watch S3 til the DVDs came out) I know that if every viewer realized that they mattered we would have a huge impact on the ratings!! I would seriously love for us to kick butt this year!! Knock those TV execs. socks off, by showing that SPN DOES indeed have a growing fanbase!

(Just this summer I have seen so many new fans on message boards)

So does anyone here have anymore knowledge about how they collect ratings because I just would like to know how it works....

Comment

these are my best guesses. not sure how right i am but ya lol

i think the call you up on the phone or send you a survey to find out what you watch is something that was done like before all the v chip digital tv stuff. although the survey and stuff doesnt really count for rating ratings its pretty much to gather what type of shows people are actually watching in order to know what shows to produce in the future and how to change present shows to make them more enjoyable by more people. i think they also had a nielson box which hooked up to your tv like a cable box that sent data thru the cable wires.

the V chip was put into tv sets like maybe mid 90s cant remember. it basically made it so you can block shows by ratings(y, y7, pg, 14, MA) or channels. so like your 5 year old doesnt turn to late nate hbo or anything lol. im pretty sure now the V chip is in cable boxes. think the V chip is what u were talking about but not sure lol.

i think now adays with the digital cable box and able to interact and all that on the tv all the info you watch is automatically sent to the cable company which goes into a huge database of all over cable companies and adds up totals.

dvrs and tivos not really sure how they work. i would think once recorded to the dvr it counts as a view not really sure. i saw someone somewhere say if you watch it withen a couple of weeks or something then thats when it counts. but i dont think they count for overnight ratings cause the dvr company or whatever has to send them in and it doesnt go stright to the ratings databse or something.

when it comes to ages and male/female veiwers and stuff tho thats basically like survey stuff i think they base it on. dont think its dead on but just an estimation per week.

agian someone else might be able to give you a better idea but thats just my best guesses.

Comment

As soon as someone finds out please post the ratings here!! I'm dying to know!!!

Comment

Yup me too!!

Comment

Here you guys go!! GOOD NEWS!!!

"Supernatural's numbers were touched by an angel, as the season premiere drew 3.96 mil — a 33 percent surge over the previous opener and the series' best CW performance ever. "

"CW’s nightly leadoff, “Smallville,” performed decently but likely wasn’t responsible for “Supernatural’s” jump. “Smallville” equaled last season’s premiere with a 1.8 among 18-49s."

Here are the "official numbers"-

The season-premiere of lead-out Supernatural, meanwhile, rose to a series-high in total viewers (#5, 3.96 million; A18-49: #4, 1.8/ 6), adults 18-49 (#5, 1.7/ 5), women 18-49 (1.8/ 5) and men 18-49 (1.6/ 5). Comparatively, Supernatural grew from its year-ago season-opener by 33 percent in total viewers and as much as 84 percent among women 18-49.

That's awesome right??? Now hopefully we can give Greys/CSI some competition!!! I know they haven't started yet but maybe we can draw an audience BEFORE they start. (Although I happen to think the jump in ratings has to do with how many new viewers this show has pulled in via the internet. From message boards, SPN winning internet poles and other awards, word of mouth in RL and even fanfiction, I think more and more people are becoming aware the show.) Plus newbies have three seasons they can sink into right away AND they were just recently on sale so I think people have had the time to check SPN out and see how worthy it is.

Now I'm really happy with the ratings from last night, but I'd really like us to try to maintain as much of that audience as possible. Seriously. Wouldn't it be awesome it stayed at/near 4 million throughout the season? That would totally be a punch to Dawn O's face!! Not only that but if some people saw the premiere and liked it enough to tell their friends....

*fingers crossed*
                          Last edited by SweetOne; 09-19-2008, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Yay sweet for SPN! It makes me happy that its getting great ratings, now lets keep it up, eventhough I have no doubt it will!

Comment

thats great. im glad the ratings are going up. guess the fans are really getting the word out there.

Comment

Close to 4 million is GREAT!!! I can't remember the last time we got anywhere near that...not since the WB days. Now we just gotta keep it up. I'm hoping we made a lot of new fans last night with such a great episode.

WTG Supernatural. It seems like people are finally finding the CW and tuning in, not just to SN. Ratings seem to be stronger overall...even though SV is down from where it used to be, it is in S8. But alot of the newer shows seems to be growing! I just want the CW to stay afloat long enough for SN to run its course!!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎