Kryptonsite Christian Fellowship Circle

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that Proverbs? I'm not familiar with that verse. =)

Comment

I gave the layman's version. sorry.

here is the actual verse
      Book of Wisdom chapter 1 v 8
      "therefore no one who utters unrighteous things will escape notice, and justice, when it punishes, will not pass him by. "

The actual verse from the book of wisdom (also known as the Song of Solomon or the Wisdom of Solomon or the Aporcrypha.
      The Apocrypha are often not included in Protestant Bibles, but they were translated and added in the original King James Bible of 1611.
      sorry about the mess up

Comment

sry, just reread the rules again.
        isn't their a verse in some version of the bible that supports slavery? they talked about it on the west wing once.

Comment

Well, one place where the Bible mentions slavery is 1 Corinthians (chapter 7). It's more about accepting your circumstances and thriving in them than it is about whether or not slavery as an institution is evil... Here are the relevant quotes:
          Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion...
          Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches. Was a man already circumcised when he was called? He should not become uncircumcised. Was a man uncircumcised when he was called? He should not be circumcised. Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God's commands is what counts. Each one should remain in the situation which he was in when God called him. Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you—although if you can gain your freedom, do so. For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave. You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men. Brothers, each man, as responsible to God, should remain in the situation God called him to.
          Paul again writes of slavery in 1 Corinthians (chapter 12), indicating no difference between freemen and slaves:
          For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.
          Similarly, in Galatians 3, Paul writes:
          There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
          Again, in Colossians 3, Paul writes:
          Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.
          . Paul DOES give instructions to slaves in Ephesians 6, but he also provides instructions for masters:
          Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free. And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.
          He gives similar instructions in Colossians 3 and 4, writing:
          Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord... Masters, provide your slaves with what is right and fair, because you know that you also have a Master in heaven.
          In 1 Timothy, Paul writes:
          All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God's name and our teaching may not be slandered
          . In Titus 2, it is written:
          Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them, and not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.
          1 Peter 2 says:
          Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God.
          These are all of the New Testament writings on slavery (well, the ones that aren't about our metaphorical slavery to sin). The Bible obviously acknowledges the existence of slavery as an institution, but the New Testament writers instruct believers in Christ to remain in their stations and serve God in whatever roles He has given them.

If this is meant to be an honest discussion about what seem like peculiar issues in the Bible, that's fine, but if this is an attempt by an agnostic/atheist/etc. to "poke holes" in Scripture, then I don't think a thread called "Kryptonsite Christian Fellowship Circle" is the place to be doing it. Perhaps there should be a separate thread for debating what some people consider to be inconsistencies in Scripture.
          shirkie

Comment

If this is meant to be an honest discussion about what seem like peculiar issues in the Bible, that's fine, but if this is an attempt by an agnostic/atheist/etc. to "poke holes" in Scripture, then I don't think a thread called "Kryptonsite Christian Fellowship Circle" is the place to be doing it.
            Yep =)

Comment

Originally posted by ProudPenny
              You're welcome love_sv, and I agree =)
              Originally posted by number8
              Hey love_sv! Glad you could join us!
              Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Comment

Very cool, i'll definatly be posting here 8)

Comment

I vote for Christian Fellowship Rhombus ... okay, maybe not.

Anyway, thanks to ProudPenny for starting this thread and for informing me about it. I look forward to a great discussion, and some much needed fellowship with believers.

I thought I'd offer up one of my favorite passages:

1 Peter 3:15-16
                  15 But in your hearts set apart Messiah as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Messiah may be ashamed of their slander.
                  I like this because in a time when people attack our faith from all sides, it reminds us to always be ready to defend the hope that is within us. So many nominal Christians are ignorant of the evidence to back up the faith, so when it is called into question they either fold and become non-believers, or have no answer and cause non-believers to think that no answer exists. Both outcomes are sad, and truly hurt the cause of the Kingdom.

Comment

To me Christianity whatever following, is based on love and caring for one another.

We are our brother's/sister's keeper.
                    Judge not others, or you will be judged
                    treat others the way you want to be treated.
                    and forgive everyone. (the toughest lesson)

If we can remember those ideas, then we are on the right path.

Comment

Originally posted by yeshuamyking7
                      I vote for Christian Fellowship Rhombus ... okay, maybe not.

Anyway, thanks to ProudPenny for starting this thread and for informing me about it. I look forward to a great discussion, and some much needed fellowship with believers.

I thought I'd offer up one of my favorite passages:

I like this because in a time when people attack our faith from all sides, it reminds us to always be ready to defend the hope that is within us. So many nominal Christians are ignorant of the evidence to back up the faith, so when it is called into question they either fold and become non-believers, or have no answer and cause non-believers to think that no answer exists. Both outcomes are sad, and truly hurt the cause of the Kingdom.

I agree completely, how are we supposed to be Christians if we don't even have anything to back-up our Faith? After all....It is written

Comment

I haven't been on K-site in a while; it's good to be back. I've been very busy lately, but I had some spare time so I decided to browse the board. This thread got my attention - it's nice to see something that's a source of inspiration, and has depth. Thanks, Proud Penny, for starting it.

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." ~ Psalm 119:105

Comment

What a lovely idea for a thread!! Good of you to open this Proud Penny!

*waves* Hi Melissa, thanks for telling me about this thread sweetie!!!

I haven't been here much lately as I've been so busy, but there is always time for some fellowship and reflection!

I'll share part of my favourite verse with you all:
                          1 Samuel 16 v 7 .... The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.'

It is an important and meaningful piece of scripture to me personally, because of the way many people have put me and other's down for the way I/they look and it reminds me that the Lord loves me and other's like me no matter what other people may think. It really is what is in the heart that counts and that's straight from the word folks!!

Love you all!

Comment

Oh man, it is impossible for me to pick a favorite verse. All of them are so great, I like any of the verses the Lord uses to speak to me personally

Comment

Thank you all for these verses which help us so much in our journey. I'd like to add:

Mark 10
                              27Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."
                              This is amazing. Jesus actually said "all things are possible with God" and it reminds me how mighty and sovereign God is. Whatever situation I'm in, I know I can trust Him, even if I have no idea how anything is going to work out. I am still so amazed that such lowly human beings can come and talk to the mighty God who created the entire universe. And I'm amazed that He loves us. It makes me honoured to be "on the Lord's side".

Comment

Praise the Lord! *dances*

Do you guys have any favorite songs?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍