No announcement yet.

Ep 2.17 - Rosetta

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrsK
    Jonathan had it and showed it to Clark in the Pilot. Must've been in the ship - or fallen out of the ship when it opened to let baby Clark out.
    Oh thats right... duh! Thanks, Mrs. K!

Comment

A very good episode. The only real negative is the whole thing with Lana invading Chloe's privacy, which leads to Clark essentially blackmailing Chloe into forgiving Lana. It's an issue they can and should resolve on their own. Otherwise, what will happen? She goes through life, thinking everyone likes her (regardless of how many awful things she does), until one day she learns that everyone hates her. And they only pretended to like her, because Clark blackmailed them into being her friends. This isn't one of those times that Lana needs Clark to come to her rescue.

This episode introduces Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann. I generally don't like stunt castings on these kinds of shows. It usually comes across as "oh, we gave him/her a role, because he/she played a character in a past comic book adaptation" and that they're just crossing a off name on a list. The role itself doesn't matter and doesn't feel special. However, I felt they did a terrific job with Reeve as Dr. Swann (which is an obvious reference to legendary Superman artist, Curt Swan). He comes in and reveals details about Clark's past: his birth name and where he came from. You get a feeling that he's passing the torch to a new generation.
      Last edited by jon-el87; 04-04-2017, 03:09 AM.

Comment

In regard to the message inside the ship:

On this third planet from this star Sol, you'll be a god among men. They are a flawed race. Rule them with strength, my son. That is where your greatness lies.
        Here's a bit of the dialogue from "Lazarus":

Clark: I died to save the world.
        Jor-El: Evil never ends. By sacrificing yourself, you have left the humans vulnerable to future threats.
        Clark: I left a team of heroes behind to protect them.
        Jor-El: You were meant to be Earth's greatest protector. Now, they are about to face the greatest evil without you.
        Clark: Then send me back! I know my fate! To step into the light! To be a symbol of hope for them.
        Jor-El: I told you to rule with strength, but you chose the martyr's path.
        Based on this dialogue Jor-El meant "rule" as in "lead" and "strength" doesn't refer to physical strength (i.e. Clark becoming a dictator, who strikes down anyone who disagrees with him), but more "strength of character" or "inner strength". One also needs to consider that (as established in "Quest") there is no Kryptonian word that translates directly into "Church", forcing Teague's man to use the Kryptonian for "sanctuary" instead (which can also be the case with many other words). So, you're dealing with different languages, that probably have different grammatical rules.
        Last edited by jon-el87; 06-28-2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎