Season Four Frequently Asked Questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know what the Tattoo that Lana had on her back meaning was?

A friend of mine is wanting that Tattoo but doesnt know what that symbol means. I cant remember what it was.

Comment

It's the kryptonian symbol for "water", which also represents transference.

Would be a very cool tattoo to have. You should post pictures if they get it.

Comment

Holy Cow, I can actually answer, as opposed to ask, questions. Time for me to give back, it seems.

1)Level 33.1--Back in the first season ("Jitters" and a couple others) a friend of Jonathan's, Earl Jenkins, accused Lionel Luthor of hiding "Level 3" in a plant he, Jenkins, worked at. Jenkins, a janitor at the plant, was affected with severe siezures, or "jitters" by being exposed to meteor rocks. Lex's 33.1 experiments took Lionels' work to an extreme, experimenting on people, not corn crops.

2) Whitney's death--As someone else said, Whitney's short appearance early in the fourth season (though filmed for that episode) was supposed to be a flashback to Clark's freshman year (Whitney's senior year, and the show's first season). To emphasize the point, at the end of the episode, it's Clark, not Lana, who is getting dunked. Remember, in that episode, Lana tells Jason of her short stint as a cheerleader during her freshman year. Apparantly, during that year, the cheerleaders got dunked. During the senior (for Clark, Lana, and Chloe) it was the members of the football team (which Clark joined that episode).

3) Lex's blood problems--I didn't know the producers decided to simply drop that plot. Lazyness! I had always given them the benifit of the doubt, thinking Lex was cured when he picked up the Stone of Water and it started glowing (and giving off that hum that only Kryptonians can hear, signaling Kal-El it was time to fly, rip the door off lex's plane, and steal a crystal). Made sense to me. Otherwise, poisoning Lex in the previous season's finale was pointless.

Comment

Good answers, RightWingConspirator! I'd just add to the 33.1 answer that I don't think Lex experimenting on people against their will during season four. Remember that he made a deal with Mxylptylk and even said the "accommodations will be better than jail" or something to that extent. I think season five and six is when he starts getting out of hand and experimenting on meteor freaks against their will.

Also here's a frequently asked question from season four that I'd like to hear theories on: Lionel's turn from "redeemed Lionel" back to "MB Lionel": did Lionel really turn from a man seeking redemption back to a man on the path of evil after "Onyx"? Remember he says, "a man can't deny his true nature, can he Lex? No...we're Luthors" and then goes back to acting ruthlessly like the old Lionel, yet he seems to have a dash more humanity in him.

Some theorize that he was pretending to be "bad" again while secretly still being good.

My theory is that Lionel DID in fact go back to being "bad" but this time he really didn't want Lex to follow in his footsteps and thus was trying to prevent Lex from gaining too much power. I think Lionel had the attitude "it's too late for me but maybe I can help Lex". Simultaneously though I think he was also proud of what Lex had become in some ways, so it made Lionel a conflicted and complex character at the end of season four.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by RightWingConspirator
            3) Lex's blood problems--I didn't know the producers decided to simply drop that plot. Lazyness! I had always given them the benifit of the doubt, thinking Lex was cured when he picked up the Stone of Water and it started glowing (and giving off that hum that only Kryptonians can hear, signaling Kal-El it was time to fly, rip the door off lex's plane, and steal a crystal). Made sense to me. Otherwise, poisoning Lex in the previous season's finale was pointless.
            I doubt that that is the end of the story. Lex seems to have very strong healing powers, that are yet unexplained. In fact, it was mentioned that that poison usually kills someone within minutes - but Lex survived. He also never has a scar - and considering all the bullet wounds he should have.

I agree, it is possible that the stone healed Lex. But considering his other magic healings I think it is also possible that his body simply healed on it's own after some time. This pattern of Lex surviving and healing is so often repeated during the series that I wondered if Lex was meteor infected and survival/healing his power. However, if Lex had truely been meteor infected he would have known it - and Lionel would have known it (and known that Lex knew it) and not used Lex's power as an argument why Lex should be the Traveler. In "Descent" season seven Lionel tells Lex that he, Lex, is the Traveler and his argument is that this explains Lex's survival powers. Whether this is another of Lionel's lies or not is a different problem but I think he would not have used this argument in the first place if the origin of Lex's healing powers had already been known to Lex - such as if he was meteor infected.

Comment

Here is a question, in Jinx why did Mxylptylk wait till the last minute to screw stuff up, wouldn't he hedge his bets and screw it up for them all game.

Comment

Originally posted by MozartRequiem
                Good answers, RightWingConspirator! I'd just add to the 33.1 answer that I don't think Lex experimenting on people against their will during season four. Remember that he made a deal with Mxylptylk and even said the "accommodations will be better than jail" or something to that extent. I think season five and six is when he starts getting out of hand and experimenting on meteor freaks against their will.
                I don't think he needed to experiment ON meteor freaks. End of season four "Ageless" he recieves the DNA that makes it possible to create adult impersonal clones very quickly. At the end of season six Lana uses her own clone to fake her death and Lex has a meteor powered clone army, that is controled by implanted micro chips. In vitro experiments are better for scientific study anyway so even if Lex somehow had changed his personality 180 degrees he would have used the clones to experiement on and not the meteor freaks, simply because it is more efficient.

As to Lionel and his motives, I still think we don't have all the facts. But it is fun to speculate nevertheless. Personally, I think Lionel was not evil, nor good. Something in between. I think his goal was to save humankind in the long run but he was ready to use every means necessary for it, even his own life. Whether this makes him good or evil - I truely don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by MozartRequiem
                  Also here's a frequently asked question from season four that I'd like to hear theories on: Lionel's turn from "redeemed Lionel" back to "MB Lionel": did Lionel really turn from a man seeking redemption back to a man on the path of evil after "Onyx"? Remember he says, "a man can't deny his true nature, can he Lex? No...we're Luthors" and then goes back to acting ruthlessly like the old Lionel, yet he seems to have a dash more humanity in him.

Some theorize that he was pretending to be "bad" again while secretly still being good.

My theory is that Lionel DID in fact go back to being "bad" but this time he really didn't want Lex to follow in his footsteps and thus was trying to prevent Lex from gaining too much power. I think Lionel had the attitude "it's too late for me but maybe I can help Lex". Simultaneously though I think he was also proud of what Lex had become in some ways, so it made Lionel a conflicted and complex character at the end of season four.

Thoughts?
                  My theory is Lionel was converted to to goodness as a result of living in Clark's body. However, Lex--in a rare moment of stupidity--mucked it up by his swordfight with Lionel, bringing back the "true" Lionel. Lionel would again be converted, for good, as a result of becoming Jor-El's oracle.

----- Added 10 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Freawaru
                  I doubt that that is the end of the story. Lex seems to have very strong healing powers, that are yet unexplained. In fact, it was mentioned that that poison usually kills someone within minutes - but Lex survived. He also never has a scar - and considering all the bullet wounds he should have.

I agree, it is possible that the stone healed Lex. But considering his other magic healings I think it is also possible that his body simply healed on it's own after some time. This pattern of Lex surviving and healing is so often repeated during the series that I wondered if Lex was meteor infected and survival/healing his power. However, if Lex had truely been meteor infected he would have known it - and Lionel would have known it (and known that Lex knew it) and not used Lex's power as an argument why Lex should be the Traveler. In "Descent" season seven Lionel tells Lex that he, Lex, is the Traveler and his argument is that this explains Lex's survival powers. Whether this is another of Lionel's lies or not is a different problem but I think he would not have used this argument in the first place if the origin of Lex's healing powers had already been known to Lex - such as if he was meteor infected.
                  You have a point concerning Lex's healing powers. Over the years, it becomes apparant he has something, from no longer having asthma, to having no wounds from being shot, being in plane and car crashes, and otherwise being mistreated. However, he was looking for a cure in Egypt, and he seemed to be cured as soon as the water stone glowed in his hands.
                  I have to stand firm, though, in disagreeing with you on Lionel's comments about the Traveler. Whether or not Lionel thought Lex had a super-power regarding healing, at that moment he was trying to do three things:
                  1) Save his own life (Lex was pointing a gun at him, and making it clear if he didn't get answers he would kill Lionel then and there)

2) Save Lex from crossing a line from which there would be "no redemption, none"

3) Most important, keep Lex from learning Clark was the Traveler

At least, that's how I always saw it.
                  Last edited by RightWingConspirator; 06-12-2012, 07:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

You have a point concerning Lex's healing powers. Over the years, it becomes apparant he has something, from no longer having asthma, to having no wounds from being shot, being in plane and car crashes, and otherwise being mistreated. However, he was looking for a cure in Egypt, and he seemed to be cured as soon as the water stone glowed in his hands.
                    Hmmm ... maybe. They never exactly said why Lex searched for the stones. I thought it was just because Lionel had been searching for them many years - we learn that Lionel had spend a lot of money on it sending expeditions all over the world (at least this is what the mathematician told Clark when he was in Lionel's body in prison). When Lionel was in prison Lex took Luthorcorp and found out about all these expensive expeditions, I thought he simply was curious about what was so important to Lionel.

I have to stand firm, though, in disagreeing with you on Lionel's comments about the Traveler. Whether or not Lionel thought Lex had a super-power regarding healing, at that moment he was trying to do three things:
                    1) Save his own life (Lex was pointing a gun at him, and making it clear if he didn't get answers he would kill Lionel then and there)
                    That is not quite right. Lex first accused Lionel to be the Traveler, Lionel disagreed telling Lex that he was not able to influence the fate of individuals ("you give me too much credtit"). Then Lex accused Lionel to have sacrificed him, Lex, for the Traveler. This is the moment Lionel tells Lex that Lex himself is the Traveler. Lionel tells Lex that this is the reason why he brought him to Smallville as a kid and trained him, and why Lex survived when it seemed impossible. Lex looks at Lionel and appreciates Lionel's teachings.

Then Lex moves to the other side of the room, the door inbetween them, stands with his back to Lionel and draws a gun, showing it to Lionel but in no way pointing it at him. Lionel had always been excellent in hand to hand combat (he even survived several attacks in prison while so ill he was almost dead only three years ago), he could have attacked Lex from behind. Lionel also could have gone to the door and run. Or he could have called for help. He does not. Instead, he walks to Lex - the side without the gun, clearly not attacking Lex's gun-hand, and gives Lex some last advice how to be carefull regarding the attraction of "The Darkness", because he knows it by own experience.

In none of Lionel's actions can I detect that he tried to save his own life. On the contrary, he does not fight back physically, he does not try to make a deal with Lex, he does not threaten Lex (if you kill me, this and that will happen). He gives every indication that he wants Lex to kill him.

2) Save Lex from crossing a line from which there would be "no redemption, none"
                    Lionel was never portrayed as religious. But both Lionel and Lex were experts in finacial terminology. That was their world. "Redemption" is a term used in the stock market for example, meaning to give something back, or to quit a deal.

It seems that the "Bearer of Darkness" hands on the "Darkness" when dying, the person who kills the "Bearer" (or maybe who is closest to the Bearer) becomes the next "Bearer". But if Lex truely is the second part of The Traveler as Lionel (and later Edward Teague) said, he is immortal. He cannot die. If he chooses to become the "Bearer of Darkness" he cannot get out of that "contract" again, ever. There will be no redemption for him, none.

According to the Veritas lore "The Traveler" consists of two beings. "The Destroyer" and "The Saviour". Lex already knew that he was Sageeth, due to the starblade in "Talisman" season three. He knew that Clark was Naman - told him so in "Blank" season four. Do you think he didn't connect the dots and identified Naman with the saviour aspect of The Traveler? I mean, Clark saves people all the time, including Lex. And he came to Earth in the same meteor shower Lex became the Destroyer part of The Traveler. He always was the most likely canditate.

Comment

I said: You have a point concerning Lex's healing powers. Over the years, it becomes apparant he has something, from no longer having asthma, to having no wounds from being shot, being in plane and car crashes, and otherwise being mistreated. However, he was looking for a cure in Egypt, and he seemed to be cured as soon as the water stone glowed in his hands.
                      Hmmm ... maybe. They never exactly said why Lex searched for the stones. I thought it was just because Lionel had been searching for them many years - we learn that Lionel had spend a lot of money on it sending expeditions all over the world (at least this is what the mathematician told Clark when he was in Lionel's body in prison). When Lionel was in prison Lex took Luthorcorp and found out about all these expensive expeditions, I thought he simply was curious about what was so important to Lionel .
                      I believe that came later. The way I saw it, Lex wanted the stones to cure him, and the stione he found in Egypt did just that, when it glowed as he held it. His interest in the stones might have ended there, but, as you say, Lionel had been looking for them for quite some time. So, like the caves, like Clark, (but in reverse), Lex wanted to know why.

I said:
                      Whether or not Lionel thought Lex had a super-power regarding healing, at that moment he was trying to do three things: 1) Save his own life (Lex was pointing a gun at him, and making it clear if he didn't get answers he would kill Lionel then and there)

That is not quite right. Lex first accused Lionel to be the Traveler, Lionel disagreed telling Lex that he was not able to influence the fate of individuals ("you give me too much credtit"). Then Lex accused Lionel to have sacrificed him, Lex, for the Traveler. This is the moment Lionel tells Lex that Lex himself is the Traveler. Lionel tells Lex that this is the reason why he brought him to Smallville as a kid and trained him, and why Lex survived when it seemed impossible. Lex looks at Lionel and appreciates Lionel's teachings.

Then Lex moves to the other side of the room, the door inbetween them, stands with his back to Lionel and draws a gun, showing it to Lionel but in no way pointing it at him. Lionel had always been excellent in hand to hand combat (he even survived several attacks in prison while so ill he was almost dead only three years ago), he could have attacked Lex from behind. Lionel also could have gone to the door and run. Or he could have called for help. He does not. Instead, he walks to Lex - the side without the gun, clearly not attacking Lex's gun-hand, and gives Lex some last advice how to be carefull regarding the attraction of "The Darkness", because he knows it by own experience.

In none of Lionel's actions can I detect that he tried to save his own life. On the contrary, he does not fight back physically, he does not try to make a deal with Lex, he does not threaten Lex (if you kill me, this and that will happen). He gives every indication that he wants Lex to kill him.
                      I'm gonna have to look at that last scene of Lionel's life again. At the moment, I gotta stand with my original statement. I always thought Lionel was pretty sure he could reason with lex not to kill him. After all, a slightly deranged and vengeful Lex held a gun to him once before (after Lex came back from Nightmare Island, where he was left by Dr. Helen Bryce-Luthor) and he talked him into being reasonable.

I continued:
                      Lionel was never portrayed as religious. But both Lionel and Lex were experts in finacial terminology. That was their world. "Redemption" is a term used in the stock market for example, meaning to give something back, or to quit a deal.

It seems that the "Bearer of Darkness" hands on the "Darkness" when dying, the person who kills the "Bearer" (or maybe who is closest to the Bearer) becomes the next "Bearer". But if Lex truely is the second part of The Traveler as Lionel (and later Edward Teague) said, he is immortal. He cannot die. If he chooses to become the "Bearer of Darkness" he cannot get out of that "contract" again, ever. There will be no redemption for him, none.
                      The Luthors weren't church-goers by any stretch, but they knew the Bible. Lex and Clark almost had an impromptu Bible study in one episode! (I'm exaggerating; to make a point, Lex asked Clark if he remembered the story of King David, post-Goliath) When Lex turned Lionel over to to the police, Lionel cast Lex in the role of Judas, the betrayer of Christ. In an episode I just finished watching, in which Clark sternly warns Lex to change his ways, Lex saidly tells him that every night before he goes to bed, he prays he doesn't get what he deserves. Now what you say about Lex as the "Bearer of Darkness" is absolutly correct, but given the above, I'm 100% sure Lionel meant redemption in the Biblical context, not the financial one. And that's what made the scene even more poignant, at least for me. We had Lionel, a truly evil SOB, who tried his level best to raise lex to be equally rughtless, now trying desperatly to turn his son away from that course.

I said:

According to the Veritas lore "The Traveler" consists of two beings. "The Destroyer" and "The Saviour". Lex already knew that he was Sageeth, due to the starblade in "Talisman" season three. He knew that Clark was Naman - told him so in "Blank" season four. Do you think he didn't connect the dots and identified Naman with the saviour aspect of The Traveler? I mean, Clark saves people all the time, including Lex. And he came to Earth in the same meteor shower Lex became the Destroyer part of The Traveler. He always was the most likely canditate.
                      I haven't seen "Blank" yet in my re-watch of the thing--it's coming up--but I'll take your word for it. As I said before, I suspect Lex just wanted someone to admit to his face that he, Lex, was right all along. Lionel may well have known, he certainly suspected, that Lex knew Clark was the Traveler. That being the case, he would be willing to do whatever he could to talk Lex out of that theory.

Comment

However, he was looking for a cure in Egypt, and he seemed to be cured as soon as the water stone glowed in his hands.

I believe that came later. The way I saw it, Lex wanted the stones to cure him, and the stione he found in Egypt did just that, when it glowed as he held it. His interest in the stones might have ended there, but, as you say, Lionel had been looking for them for quite some time. So, like the caves, like Clark, (but in reverse), Lex wanted to know why.
                        Could be.

I'm gonna have to look at that last scene of Lionel's life again.
                        The problem is that we, the audience, only learn about The Traveller prophesy in later episodes. Edward Teaque clarifies some things that went on between Lionel and Lex as both knew the Veritas lore at the time of "Descent". I collected what I think are the important aspects in the dialogues regarding the Traveller.

I took out the parts not directly related to the Traveller, such as in "Descent" Lionel at first denying everything and all until Lex tell him he knows now that Teague is still alive and thus he deserves an answer according to their established pattern of communication. Also, I write the dialogues in reversed temporal order, because I think one can understand better what is going on in this case.

Remember, Clark never read the Veritas lore but Teague thinks that he did. And Lex and Teague are enemies and Edward has already decided to kill Lex before they talk. Lex wants information but both he and Teague are not ready to share what they believe the other might not know. So they just say what is obvious to one who knows the Veritas lore a bit.

-----------------
                        This scene happens after Edward believes that he has already killed Clark:

Lex: you tried to kill me. Why?

Edward: The prophesies state that the Traveler would have a powerfull adversary. I could never have foreseen that it would be little Alexander.

Lex: You know who he is.

Edward: The Traveler's identity is no longer relevant.

Lex: I've sacrificed too much.

Edward: No, your sacrifice has just begun. The world can only exist in balance. If there is no Traveler there can be no Destroyer.

--------------
                        In this scene Clark is lying on the stone table and Edward is preparing to kill him in a ritualistic way:

Clark: Then he (Swann) must have taught you that I was good. That I'm not a threat. He wouldn't want you to kill me.

Edward: Swann was an idealist. He said you would rule us with strenght. But for every passage Swann quoted of the Traveler coming to save Earth, there was another interpretation that casts you as our Destroyer. If Lex takes control of you that is exactly what will happen.

--------------

In this scene Edward and Clark just met. Edward knows that Clark is the Traveller because Clark was able to do what according to Dr. Swann only the Traveller could do. It was not part of the Veritas lore but part of Dr. Swann planting hints all over the world for Clark to find.

Edward: Please, you must believe how evil Lex is.

Clark: I know who Lex is.

Edward: Then why? Why didn't you take care of him before? You don't want to fulfil your destiny. You don't even want to save yourself. For every beacon of light in the universe there is a pit of darkness. We must fight to keep that darkness from overwhelming us all. Lex Luthor cannot be allowed to control you.

-----------------

This is from the final dialogue between Lex and Lionel in "Descent":

Lex: I'm sure there were moments when king Arthur regretted pulling the sword from the Stone. But he never gave up his quest. So why did you? Or have you already found the Traveller that you and the less fortunate members of Veritas were looking for?

Lionel: You think I can control the fate of individuals? Oh, God, you give me too much credit.

Lex: Who is it, Dad?

Lionel: What if I told you now that you are the Traveller? You're right. Your life truly changed that day. I told you in the helicopter you were destined for a great future. That is why I've been so hard on you, trained you so relentlessly. Think, Lex. Think. You have survived mortal injuries so many times. How else can you explain it?

--------------------------

This is from season eight:

Tess: I came into possession of a journal of Lionel Luthor's. The journal talks about a boy who fell from the stars on the day of a meteor shower. Lionel's obsession with this traveler was the only reason that he was in Smallville that day. He wanted to possess the traveler for himself.
                        Clark: Why are you telling me all this?
                        Tess: Because Lionel and then Lex got the moral of the story wrong. According to the Kawatche Indians, this boy is part of a two-headed creature -- good and evil. The Luthors were too busy feuding over which one of them was worthy enough to be your adversary that they couldn't see the truth... ...that there was another boy who came to Earth with you. Davis Bloome.
                        Season 8, Eternal

http://smallville.*****.com/wiki/The_Traveler

--------------------------

Can you see it? They all interpreted the Veritas lore as The Traveler being two persons: the Saviour and the Destroyer. Both have the power to control the fate of individuals. In "Hereafter" season three we see that Clark has this power. But who is the other part of the Traveller? Both Lionel and Edward think it is Lex. At first Lex thinks it is Lionel but Lionel's argument is sound and Lex believes him - especially as he already knows that he is Sageeth. (Tess believes it is Davis Bloome, but she didn't know about the starblade).

What I mean is that when we have somebody who can change fate itself and this somebody has a "powerfull adversary" it is impossible that this adversary does not have the same power, namely being able to alter fate directly.

At the moment, I gotta stand with my original statement. I always thought Lionel was pretty sure he could reason with lex not to kill him.
                        Yes, but he didn't even try. No deal, no threat, no blackmail, nothing. It is not typical for Lionel to act like that.

After all, a slightly deranged and vengeful Lex held a gun to him once before (after Lex came back from Nightmare Island, where he was left by Dr. Helen Bryce-Luthor) and he talked him into being reasonable.
                        Exactly. But in Descent he just looks irritably at the gun in Lex's hand as if he wonders if this will be another of Lex's flawed tries to commit murder. It was rather nice of Lex to tell his father that this time he was doing everything right by telling him that "nobody will even remember you". Made Lionel smile.

The Luthors weren't church-goers by any stretch, but they knew the Bible. Lex and Clark almost had an impromptu Bible study in one episode! (I'm exaggerating; to make a point, Lex asked Clark if he remembered the story of King David, post-Goliath) When Lex turned Lionel over to to the police, Lionel cast Lex in the role of Judas, the betrayer of Christ. In an episode I just finished watching, in which Clark sternly warns Lex to change his ways, Lex saidly tells him that every night before he goes to bed, he prays he doesn't get what he deserves. Now what you say about Lex as the "Bearer of Darkness" is absolutly correct, but given the above, I'm 100% sure Lionel meant redemption in the Biblical context, not the financial one. And that's what made the scene even more poignant, at least for me. We had Lionel, a truly evil SOB, who tried his level best to raise lex to be equally rughtless, now trying desperatly to turn his son away from that course.
                        You are right about them both knowing the Bible. But they also quoted other scripture all the time. And Lionel's bible was "Beyond Good and Evil" by Nietzsche. He even hid his final message to Clark behind this book. According to Nietzsche the contemporary interpretation of the Bible is completely off track, and was created by slaves who hated their masters. Nietzsche would never accept the idea of redemption in the contemporary Christian sense (there are other interpretations btw, think of the medieval Christian mystics) and thus I doubt that Lionel would have used it in this way when speaking to Lex (who knew Nietzsche's work and him being Lionel's idol).

Comment

You are right about them both knowing the Bible. But they also quoted other scripture all the time. And Lionel's bible was "Beyond Good and Evil" by Nietzsche. He even hid his final message to Clark behind this book. According to Nietzsche the contemporary interpretation of the Bible is completely off track, and was created by slaves who hated their masters. Nietzsche would never accept the idea of redemption in the contemporary Christian sense (there are other interpretations btw, think of the medieval Christian mystics) and thus I doubt that Lionel would have used it in this way when speaking to Lex (who knew Nietzsche's work and him being Lionel's idol).
                          I'm just going to reply to this point, as there's not a whole lot I disagree with on the others. But his, I do.

I still hold that Lionel was talking to Lex about redemption in the Christian context, not the financial one. If Lex crossed this line (killing Lionel) there would be no redemption. Given the subject matter, I suspect most people would think of the Biblical context, as more people are familer with it. As for Nietzsche, I'm pretty sure his book was there only as a rederence to the name 'Superman', as the concept of a human Übermensch was discussed in his works. "Übermensch" is German for "Superman".

Comment

I'm just going to reply to this point, as there's not a whole lot I disagree with on the others.

But his, I do.
                            That is okay. I cannot prove my point after all. Just looking for self-consistent explanations for the behaviour of both Lex and Lionel in "Descent". When talking to the hallucination "child Lex" Lex pointed out that he had no choice but to kill Lionel. And if you ask me getting the key is no no-choice situation for someone like Lex at the end of season seven, when he was at the height of his power we saw so far.

I still hold that Lionel was talking to Lex about redemption in the Christian context, not the financial one. If Lex crossed this line (killing Lionel) there would be no redemption.
                            I concede, it is possible as Lex might have thought in this way, even when Lionel did not. He was clearly unhinged afterwards, strongly missing his father.

Given the subject matter, I suspect most people would think of the Biblical context, as more people are familer with it.
                            It depends on the audience I guess. Smallville was featured as a science fiction TV series and I think they could have counted on the majority of the audience to know other TV series like it. After all, Gene Roddenberry's "Andromeda" had introduced the "Nietzscheans", a genetically advanced human race that tried to live according to Nietzsche's ideals (how well they did it is another matter). So the name Nietzsche was hardly something unknown among the fans. I think, those of us who had watched "Andromeda" immediately compared Lionel to the Nietzscheans we encountered, once he was shown to be a fan of Nietzsche. And there are in fact a lot of similarities.

As for Nietzsche, I'm pretty sure his book was there only as a rederence to the name 'Superman', as the concept of a human Übermensch was discussed in his works. "Übermensch" is German for "Superman".
                            Yes, but the Superman of Nietzsche is not someone who flies in tights but someone who overcomes certain moralities (named "slave morality and master morality") because they are evil and constrain humankind's development (according to Nietzsche). The writers of Smallville incorporated these two sides of the morality spectrum Nietzsche defined into Smallville by making Jonathan adhering to slave morality and Lionel to master morality and portraying both as unsatisfactory. Both Clark and Lex on the other hand are portrayed as strongly influenced by their father's moralities but also attracted to the other morality. Lex's secret wish for an inconspicuous life (Lexmas), Clark secretly wishing for wealth and a power he could show (it shows whenever he is under Red Kryptonite but also when he is angry).

I had started a thread on this topic here:

Comment

Originally posted by ProudPenny
                              Anything you've ever wanted to know about this season... and then some. Post your questions and answers here!
                              Hey there. I got a question.
                              was Countess Margaret Isobel Theroux made up by the writers of Smallville or was she in the comic?

Comment

If I remember correctly she was made up for the show.

Were there ever any plans for Bart to have his own show? The line about how it's a big world just seems like it was a jumping off point but it never happened? Was it because the actor Kyle Gallner got hired onto Veronica Mars and didn't have time to do a spinoff of SV?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎