Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ep 1.5 - Cool

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This episode could be stupid if it weren't for the cute clana moments I loved the scene at the end playing to that Jewel song. And the murder mystery thingy about those girls turning to ice was cool plus we can't forget the scene with chole in the pool that appeared in the season one credits.

Comment

Fordman, you're about have Lana Lang all to yourself for an entire day in Metropolis – and you would rather watch boxing? What in the Fortress of Solitude is the matter with you? How could you forget something like that? Every other kid in Smallville High would have given a year’s allowance and three meteor rocks for such an opportunity!

Can you imagine a woman like that wanting to spend a day with you, uninterrupted, in a big city? That’s not an opportunity, that’s a dream!

Comment

I was rewatching some of season 1 and like many of the posters here I realized there was a lot of weird fridge logic going on in this ep. everyone else pointed out why Clark could had told Lana about Sean without revealing himself... so I'll just point out something else I found weird.

How did Lex just happen to have tickets on hand? I mean, he had no idea that Clark was about to ask Lana lang out on a date until that very moment. So it was like some kind of magician's trick. "Ta-da, I have a plot-convenient reason to ask her out right here for you! I pulled it out of the plothole in my pocket!"

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
          I mean, he had no idea that Clark was about to ask Lana lang out on a date until that very moment. So it was like some kind of magician's trick. "Ta-da, I have a plot-convenient reason to ask her out right here for you! I pulled it out of the plothole in my pocket!"
          Well, it's been a while since I've seen this ep, but when I watched it my interpretation was that, while Clark may have been mooning around over Lana, looking into the cafe window, he had no intention of asking her out -- I don't think he was at the point where he saw that as a possibility (she was still involved with Whitney afterall). I always saw it as Lex coming along and encouraging Clark to ask her out. That without Lex's input, Clark would not have taken that step and in fact, didn't Lex turn it into a dare?

Comment

Originally posted by Shelby Kent
            Well, it's been a while since I've seen this ep, but when I watched it my interpretation was that, while Clark may have been mooning around over Lana, looking into the cafe window, he had no intention of asking her out -- I don't think he was at the point where he saw that as a possibility (she was still involved with Whitney afterall). I always saw it as Lex coming along and encouraging Clark to ask her out. That without Lex's input, Clark would not have taken that step and in fact, didn't Lex turn it into a dare?
            But Aurora is right. Lex might have encouraged him but he still magically pulled the Radiohead tickets out of his as...erm...I mean...his pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
              But Aurora is right. Lex might have encouraged him but he still magically pulled the Radiohead tickets out of his as...erm...I mean...his pocket.
              Of course Lex having tickets was a plot device. But it didn't come across to me that Clark was standing there "about to ask Lana out" AND Lex just happened to have the tickets. THAT would have been really ridiculous. At least in this scenario Lex was the one that got the ball rolling (ie talked Clark into asking her out, dared him to do so) in part BECAUSE he did have the tickets. I don't remember anything about that episode that let the viewer know that -- prior to Lex coming outside to talk with Clark -- Clark was standing there "about to ask Lana out." He was just standing at the window looking at her. But as I said, it's been awhile since I saw it. Was there n fact a point in the scene where Clark did verbalize or let the audience know that he was standing there about to ask Lana out? Or was he just standing there looking at her (a not uncommon occurrence in his life at that time...) and the audience was free to read whatever they wished into the fact of him standing there looking at her?
              Last edited by Shelby Kent; 09-26-2015, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I did not read Aurora's post as if she was implying that Clark was actually intending to ask Lana out, Which makes it even more convenient that Lex had the tickets.

I agree with your impression of the scene. Flark was strolling by, spotted her and he spontanaeously refulled his admiring-from-afar-tank.

Comment

There's so much about the Sean Kelvin parts of the episode that annoy me -- and that stick in my memory b/c I find them so annoying -- that I tend not to remember the other parts as well. Guess I should rewatch one of these days...

Comment

Flark was strolling by
                    I hate typing on the iPad instead a real keyboard, I make way to many mistakes...

Comment

Flark was strolling by

I hate typing on the iPad instead a real keyboard, I make way to many mistakes...

Well, I just adore Clark. Having said that, he certainly could be a big goofy doofus at times. So (while I realized that was a typo) I did enjoy thinking that the appellation "Flark" has such a goofy doofus-y sound to it (to me at least) that it is a good name for him sometimes!!

Comment

Flark is a good name for whenever Clark's being a BDA (Big Dumb Alien), or when he royally ****s up. :P

Still, I can't help but wonder why Lex had Radiohead tickets. He doesn't strike me as the type who goes to radio-head concerts. Lana on the other hand, seems to be a huge fan. The only logical reasons I can think of:

1) being a public person of interest, companies are always sending him free stuff in the hopes that the paparazzi would see him out and about with those items, and they get publicity over it as an result. So he was just going to throw those tickets away, but Clark was there so he gave them to him instead of throwing them away.

2) Lex is somewhat psychic and knew that Clark would eventually try to ask Lana out. So he researched Lana and found what bands she loved and were going to encourage Clark to ask her out. It was just perfect timing that Clark happened to be standing outside staring at the love of his life with silent longing.... it gave Lex the perfect opening to give Clark the tickets without somehow seeming too weird.

3) Pete was absent for most of this ep, so the writers decided to use Lex as his advertising stand-in.

Comment

An okay episode, I guess. In the opening of the episode, there is a sign that states that it's forbidden to swim in Crater Lake. A ban that was clearly lifted in the next few seasons, with people being shown to swim there.

Thought the whole bit, about Sean not calling Chloe was rather silly. This is early in the morning, before school and she had given him her number the night before. When was he supposed to have had time to call her? At 3AM, when they're both sleeping?

Sean was a good FOTW. He doesn't simply go psycho, upon gaining his powers, like some others. He needs heat to survive. He tries other things, like matches and fire, but finds that people last longer. He's simply motivated by a fear of death.

Originally posted by Ryan James
                          Fordman, you're about have Lana Lang all to yourself for an entire day in Metropolis – and you would rather watch boxing? What in the Fortress of Solitude is the matter with you? How could you forget something like that? Every other kid in Smallville High would have given a year’s allowance and three meteor rocks for such an opportunity!
                          Actually, I can totally understand him. We spend very little time with him. For all we know, he's had to turn down his friends six times, in the past month or so, because he was with Lana. He might be dating her, but he has every right to spend time with his friends. Also, Lana isn't this perfect woman, that the show is trying to make her out to be. Furthermore, she wanted to go to a museum, to see an exhibit. Something that Whitney no doubt would have no interest in. It would just be something he'd put up with, for his relationship with Lana. And, if spending time with someone becomes something you're not enjoying, you shouldn't be together.

Can you imagine a woman like that wanting to spend a day with you, uninterrupted, in a big city? That’s not an opportunity, that’s a dream!
                          She's a freshman in High School. She'd be too young, for what I think you're suggesting.
                          Last edited by jon-el87; 08-08-2020, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                            Thought the whole bit, about Sean not calling Chloe was rather silly. This is early in the morning, before school and she had given him her number the night before. When was he supposed to have had time to call her? At 3AM, when they're both sleeping?
                            Unfortunately there are many series and many episodes where timelines don't make sense. Smallville's most glaring example would be the travelling time from Smallville to Metropolis which was stated multiple times as a "three hour drive". And yet a daily commute doesn't seem to be a problem. In Hypnotic Chloe even tells Lois to drive on her own from the DP to Clark's and she would "catch up", just to cover up her getting a meteor rock from her drawer. Couldn't the writers have Chloe say that Lois should wait upstairs or something? It would have served the same purpose.

This being said, I guess we could explain this away by assuming that the lake party was on a Friday or even Saturday night which is more likely with so many school kids attending and Sean only re-emerging one or two days later.
                            Last edited by DJ Doena; 06-17-2017, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎