Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally! We are getting to the REAL Lois Lane!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveS
    liana, Lois was admitted to Metropolis U. through Lex's ingress (try bribery/influence) not through her SAT scores or abilities. Her expulsion she earned herself.
    This is the exact dialogue from Facade:

Lois: [Not pleased to see him.] Daddy. Don't you have three thousand guys to babysit? Do you really need to keep checking up on me?

Sam: It would appear that way.

Lois: I know that I'm late. But I can still make it to campus for orientation.

Sam: Save yourself a trip. Met U just yanked your acceptance.

Lois: What? They can't do that.

Sam: They can if you don't have enough credits to finish high school.

Lois: Look, I know I missed a few classes, but...

Sam: Lo, you failed the last semester.

So, you see, she was admitted to Met-U, but they yanked her admission later, because she didn't have enought credits to finish high school due to her missing classes. Later on, on Devoted, Clark convinces Lex to use his influence so she would be admitted in spite of her not having enough credits to finish highschool. So, if she was admitted in the first place, without anyone else influence, it was because she had good SAT scores and good grades. Isn't the person admitted in the University before she actually graduates? That's probably what happened here.
    Last edited by liana; 01-20-2006, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Well, let's see...from using your dialogue, Lois appears to have had a provisional admission to Met U., provisional in the sense that the university did not have her complete high school transcript, obviously once they received it, she did not meet their minimum standards.
      Now I don't know if Met U. has rigorous standards for admission or is one of those institutions that allows admission to most everyone that graduates. We could only speculate on that. Either way, she needed Lex to scam her admission anyway.
      Now if one wants to find out why she didn't have enough high school credits and has access or interest in the shows script ( I have neither), then we might verify what was the problem. Excessive absences? If so, one normally flunks a course. Doesn't take enough hours? A different kind of problem. Either really does not make much difference to me. It is the result that is worthy of note.

Ooops, saw the last line...Lois failed the last semester of high school. Not good.

And was expelled from her first semester of college. What did she tell Clark she studied? Bar guides?

Comment

Someone on another thread said that people just don't like Lois and thats why all the negative comments. Well I have n't seen anyone post anything negative about the character that has n't been backed up with good reason. Its the writers fault this character has not been accepted the way she should have. Now their trying to change her and make her more like who she should of been at a rapid pace. I also don't buy her putting on a suit and suddenly knowing how to run a political campaign. One moment she's a college drop out, the next she's the head of JK's furture run for senator. The actress does look older than any of the other younger actors. The immature act did not suit her. Especially when all the others are acting more mature than her, especially Chloe. I admit Clark should be turned onto journalism pretty soon, but as far as being like Superman, he's been saving people for years.

Comment

She is NOT a dropout. Dropping out and being kicked out are two totally different things.

Who's acting more mature than her? Chloe? Lana? Clark? Chloe yes this season she is, Clark heck no, Lana no, heck even Lex isn't acting all that mature at times.

You're joking right? Clark is nothing like Superman. Saving people does not make him Superman. There are plenty of people in this world who do things like that on a daily basis-saving people(fire fighters). Clark has NONE of the characteristics of Superman.

Comment

Amen!!! Clark has a long way to go before he's someone that could be defined as a true Super-man. He, at the moment is being portrayed as a weak, needy, whiny teenager who needs to take his blinders off and face his reality. I'm saddened that a show about the evolution of Clark Kent becoming Superman has turned into 'As the Daily Planet twirls' with this freaking love triangle Dawson's creek nonsense. I mean, if we're all going to raise our voices and yell, I think Lois is one of the last things wrong with the show anymore. TPTB need to go back and watch season 1, 2, and 3. They need to ask themselves why the show took off in the first place. It was after September 11th when we all needed to believe in Heroes. Sadly I think we've forgotten that feeling, that need to feel protected. I for one am *so* ready for this Clana rollercoaster to come to an end, and get to the real point of the show--Clark embracing his destiny.

Lois is part of that destiny, and IMHO ED has portrayed LL perfectly considering the weird line she has to walk between Chloe and Lana. She's a breath of fresh air, and a dose of reality that the show has been lacking. I can only hope pretty soon she'll knock some sense into Clarkie.
            Last edited by ferd; 01-20-2006, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Well said Ferd

That's one thing that bugs me alot is the double standard when it comes to Lois. Lois gets bashed up one side and down another because she's not her future self, but most of the same people who bash Lois for this reason let Clark slide. I don't get it. Yes Clark and Lois are both iconic characters, but Clark/Superman is more of an icon, I don't get why he doesn't have to live up to the same thing. Is it because he's the hero?

Comment

Lately I'm asking myself the same thing....

I like the way SV is handling Lois's character. They've given her good points and flaws, kept her likable (to me, at least), consistent, and gradually given her more substance as the episodes progress. And I really like ED's portrayal. No bashing on Lois from me. Right now she's one of the main reasons I'm watching the show.

Comment

Originally posted by ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~
                  Well said Ferd

That's one thing that bugs me alot is the double standard when it comes to Lois. Lois gets bashed up one side and down another because she's not her future self, but most of the same people who bash Lois for this reason let Clark slide. I don't get it. Yes Clark and Lois are both iconic characters, but Clark/Superman is more of an icon, I don't get why he doesn't have to live up to the same thing. Is it because he's the hero?
                  Good question. I just think it boils down to fan bias. My theory for the double standards is that Clark is half of Chlark so he gets a free pass, or maybe it's because there aren't any fans claiming that Clark is the real Lois Lane.

Comment

Well this show is based on a comic book for crying out loud.
                    It's fiction. Where a girl can manage and run an entire coffee shop business with only a little help from a few local teens as the employees, and where she can somehow afford to own and drive a Jeep Cherokee or similar SUV all around Smallville. It's were a young blond teen can somehow hack into any top secret file or secure building with very little trouble. It's also the same world where a young guy (who just happens to be an alien from another planet, with amazing powers) seems to be able to almost single handedly run an huge farm without a single extra farm hand around and wihout anyone ever seeing him use his powers (except that one tabloid reporter in Tempest) and where his family can afford to buy a brand new truck at least two or three times a year due to the fact the old ones get totaled all the time.

So Lois isn't yet the Lois we all know. She is getting there. It's just taking a while. That's all.
                    Somehow, given the fact that this is Smallville, I think Lois will have no problem getting to the Daily Planet.
                    I laugh so hard when someone brings up Chloe and how she's already at the Planet.

Yeah, what a career move. Doesn't she just work in the basement where they do the personals? She doesn't even get to write on a regular basis, she just answers the phones on the evening shift and runs errands for the real reporters earlier in the day (according to previous episodes). She's only been able to actually write one story for the Planet as far as we know.

Chloe's no Woodward or Bernstein yet (to use a line she used in an earlier episode).

She is not in Lois and Clarks future, that's for sure. Before the show is over she will be gone. I can just feel it.
                    Last edited by Netmaster; 01-21-2006, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Netmaster
                      Well this show is based on a comic book for crying out loud.
                      It's fiction. Where a girl can manage and run an entire coffee shop business with only a little help from a few local teens as the employees, and where she can somehow afford to own and drive a Jeep Cherokee or similar SUV all around Smallville. It's were a young blond teen can somehow hack into any top secret file or secure building with very little trouble. It's also the same world where a young guy (who just happens to be an alien from another planet, with amazing powers) seems to be able to almost single handedly run an huge farm without a single extra farm hand around and wihout anyone ever seeing him use his powers (except that one tabloid reporter in Tempest) and where his family can afford to buy a brand new truck at least two or three times a year due to the fact the old ones get totaled all the time.

So Lois isn't yet the Lois we all know. She is getting there. It's just taking a while. That's all.
                      Somehow, given the fact that this is Smallville, I think Lois will have no problem getting to the Daily Planet.
                      I laugh so hard when someone brings up Chloe and how she's already at the Planet.

Yeah, what a career move. Doesn't she just work in the basement where they do the personals? She doesn't even get to write on a regular basis, she just answers the phones on the evening shift and runs errands for the real reporters earlier in the day (according to previous episodes). She's only been able to actually write one story for the Planet as far as we know.

Chloe's no Woodward or Bernstein yet (to use a line she used in an earlier episode).

She is not in Lois and Clarks future, that's for sure. Before the show is over she will be gone. I can just feel it.

Well said

Yep she's getting there, but yet people still complain that she's being lightswitched

Originally posted by LolaDane
                      Good question. I just think it boils down to fan bias. My theory for the double standards is that Clark is half of Chlark so he gets a free pass, or maybe it's because there aren't any fans claiming that Clark is the real Lois Lane.
                      I hate double standards, IMO what's good for one character should be good for ALL characters.

That's because Clark's really a bad version of Peter Parker

Comment

Welp, i would definately chalk one up for the EDLois fans in this episode. This has been one of her better performances. I actually didnt wince when she started delivering her lines for a change. Still, for me she is the weakest link as far as acting talent....

Comment

Interesting thread, all of you have very good and valid points.

IMHO, the fact that we get to see the actual development of the character enriches the show and makes it more interesting to see.

Imagine we were introduced to a Mature Lois who already knows what she wants and has a plan in her life. Where's the point in that? What kind of interest could that bring? Isn't SV supposed to be about growing? If Clark, Chloe and Lana had that chance, then why to take that away from Lois?

In the other hand, watching her discover her path little by little and grow up as a person gives the character realism.

And well, this is a bit more personal but I have learned way more from my mistakes than from my asserts. Lois has made mistakes, no doubt, but that will only make her stronger.
                          Last edited by Lara Lane; 01-25-2006, 04:05 PM.

Comment

People seem to think that Lois just wakes up one day and says "I want to go into journalism" she doesnt. Not in the comics and not on Lois and Clark, heck Lois on Lois and Clark Lois only went into journalism to prove her father wrong.

Lois in the comics has said she got into journalism to bring down the scumbags of this world and whatnot. So I see SV Lois heading that direction already.

Comment

Originally posted by ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~

Lois in the comics has said she got into journalism to bring down the scumbags of this world and whatnot. So I see SV Lois heading that direction already.
                              That was the same reason in STAS (they explain this in The comic book Superman Adventures (it was conneted with STAS.)

Lois got her job as a reporter for The Daily Planet after getting Huge Dirt on Lex Luthor (who she dated only to learn his secrets.)

Comment

Wow great post everyone! I agree Clark and Lois are not their future selfs because this is Smallville.lol Therefore, it is about the past and about growing up-getting Lois and Clark to become their iconic selves.

And with Lois she failed highschool not because of her grades but for missing classes. I have known many, back when I was in highschool not too long ago, who were smart but missed or cut classes for whatever reason and could not go on to the next grade. Some could'nt even graduate. That is why Lois failed highschool. Or else why did Met U even took their time to look at her transcript? They must have been amazd at her grads but at last moment saw that she did not have the requirements to be a Met U student.

Now Clark, as many of you guys have said, is no where close to being superman. He has more flaws than Lois. Just look at Fanatic even Lockdown. His behavior towards his powers and his relationship with Lana.

And I also agree with the fact that if Chloe could hack into computers to get highly classified (confidential by the way) information, and Lana could carry a talon at 15, than yea Lois could handle being a campaign manager. Like Netmaster said, this show is fiction. So take it as it is.

Now since I forgot who said Lois cannot be the iconic Lois because she has not continued her progressing from the first few episodes of season 4, well all I got to say is look at Clark. During the earlier seasons Clark was more heading towards becoming the superman we know and love until late season 4 and on. Should people say he is or will not become Superman just becuase of lack of progression and development? Ofcourse not. Although, in my opinion he has a very very lon way to go.lol Lois is a lot closer to her destiny even if the writer push her progression back a step. But I have seen it and so has my brother who is not familiar with forums and what is going on, has seen it. That Lois is THE Lois Lane.
                                Last edited by brownsugar84; 01-25-2006, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎