X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veronica Mars In The Media

Here's some good exerpts:

Crafty (And Just My Type) by Jesse Hassenger

Veronica Mars is probably the best show to debut on UPN...

The genres under stress are detective procedurals and teen drama...

Father and daughter's search for the culprit lurked in the background throughout this first season, and in "Leave it to Beaver," the breathlessly paced season finale, his identity was finally revealed. Before this payoff, the show cleverly doled out pieces of the mystery while telling stand-alone stories each week.

Some of these are repetitive. A friend of mine called the show a "female adolescent revenge fantasy," and that's not far off...

But Veronica's desire for payback isn't played for laughs or wish fulfillment. Veronica's drive to get even is a form of toughness, and not just a vehicle for happy endings. Indeed, she rarely seems significantly happier at the end of an episode, only more resolved.

In "Like a Virgin," Veronica helps Meg (Alona Tal), whose faked "purity test" scores have been emailed to the entire school. A friend from Veronica's popular days, Meg is grateful, but wary. "You have friends, you know," she tells Veronica at the end of the episode, calling into question Veronica's self-styled outsider status. And Meg is right; by the end of the season, her unofficial Mission: Impossible team includes not only her dad, but also her best friend Wallace (Percy Daggs III), computer hacker Mac (Tina Majorino), and thug with a heart of gold Weevil (Francis Capra).

Thus the loner angle favored by the detective genre is modified to encompass adolescent rage. While there is some truth to Veronica's "outsider" status, it doesn't tell the whole story. Similarly, while there's some entertaining satisfaction in the smiting of Veronica's enemies, it's not pure fantasy (we're allowed to question whether Veronica is doing the right thing). In fact, with the end of the Lily Kane murder case, the show is flirting with that television taboo: changing the status quo.

The guilty party in that case was right in front of us most of the season. We learned early on that movie star Aaron Echols (Harry Hamlin), whose son Logan (Jason Dohring) dated Lily, was an abusive father. Yet the show was savvy in its placement of red herrings, among them Veronica's estranged mom; Lily's brother (and Veronica's ex-boyfriend) Duncan (Teddy Dunn); and Logan himself (who, in the season's final episodes, joined his friend Duncan in the Veronica Mars' Ex-Boyfriends Club). Even with the season's biggest case closed, the show found room for a cliffhanger. The morning after Aaron's arrest, a physically and emotionally exhausted Veronica answered a knock on her door. She smiled, and looked uncharacteristically peaceful. "I was hoping it was you," she said; then the season ended.

This was an unusual note, for several reasons. For one, it's not much of a cliffhanger; the most logical visitor would be Wallace, her best friend, largely absent from the finale. But I guess we're meant to wonder if she was happy to see ex number one (Duncan) or number two (Logan). But the last time we saw Duncan, he was fine; the last time we saw Logan, he seemed to be on the brink of suicide. So the question the audience should be asking is "What happened to Logan?" Mars creator Rob Thomas (no relation to the "Smooth" singer) has been adept so far at finding the backdoor route to surprises, but it's hard to imagine how he'll get there from here.

Moreover, an increasing emphasis on ex-boyfriends would be disappointing for the crafty Mars. So far, the series has eschewed the relationship angst so common in other teen-centric shows; Neptune hearts get broken, yes, but the show never stoops to that will-they-or-won't-they dynamic. Veronica is that rare television character who's too interesting for love triangles.

— 17 May 2005
    Last edited by NewAgeJesus; 12-12-2005, 05:40 AM.

that was great, thanks for posting the link.

Comment

Great article.

Thanks YQ22.

Comment

No problem... happy early birthday!!!

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

Thanx

Comment

Thanks for the link!

Comment

No problem!!!! Hope you enjoy!

Comment

Thanks for that great article. Personally, i think that Weevil and his boys whooped up on poor Logan. Season 2 might open up with a very beat up or bruised Logan. When Weevil and the guys rode up, they really looked like they didn't want to save him.

Comment

I hope weevil and the boys opened up a can of whup-ass on logan, he needs to have the crap kicked out of him.

Comment

Don't you start again... poor Logan... yes he can be an ass... but I don't know if he really deserves a dead mom, ass of a sister, murderous dad, cheating girlfriend, untrusting potential love interest, AND big old can of whup-ass.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowqueen22
                        Don't you start again... poor Logan... yes he can be an ass... but I don't know if he really deserves a dead mom, ass of a sister, murderous dad, cheating girlfriend, untrusting potential love interest, AND big old can of whup-ass.

I know, but I can't help myself your right, he really needs a little can of whup-ass after watching the reruns, I am starting to feel a little sorry for him, he really has had a tough year.

"untrusting potential love interest" you would'nt be refering to a cute blond girl, right?
                        Last edited by DesVMars; 06-24-2005, 11:21 AM.

Comment

mmmmmm....maybe.....

Comment

Well the cute blond one has reasons for not trusting people, it seems she can rely only on Dad, Wallace, and backup, you really can't blame her for being apprehensive about people, logan is not the only one that has been through quite a bit. Little cutie has my sympathy.

Comment

Entertainment weekly article

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but did anyone else read what EW said about VM??? They listed it as one of THE shows to watch and they also included a picture that had Logan, Keith, Veronica, and Wallace in it. Underneath it said who the actors were and their character names and description. They described Logan as "Veronica's boyfriend." I wish and hope so! I hope they weren't just taking it from last year...who knows?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎