No announcement yet.

Episode 1.08: Like a Virgin

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 1.08: Like a Virgin

This episode begins the Logan free marathon leading up the "The Echolls Family Christmas". It introduces Meg, who provides us with one of the key lines of the season. Meg proves that Veronica isn't the outsider she claims to be... both in her kindness to Veronica and her ability to point out the flaw in Veronica's chosen lifestyle. This episode focuses on the way the characters deal with being treated poorly and being talked about. We are given three examples of people who are badly talked about and we are given three key examples of the way people listen to rumors.

In Veronica we see the person who responds by getting tough, looking down on those who talk badly about her, and trying to get even. But even Veronica's hard edge persona fails... she is never really an outsider... besides having Wallace as her BFF... this episode introduces both Meg and Mac, who become part of Veronica's support group. Both Meg and Mac prove that Veronica's outsider bad ass persona is a choice she has made in order to protect herself... this is further supported in the next episode (will discuss later). But Veronica's tough skin is not as tough as we thought... she says "Does it ever bother me what people say? Okay... maybe once and awhile... depends whose listening."

In Keith we see the person who responds by always trying. Keith doesn't allow the rumors or bad mouthing bring him down. He chooses to help Alicia Fennel instead of giving up when she responds poorly to him.

In Meg we see the person who backs down under adversity. Meg is scared and chooses to hide at home... she doesn't want to face the people who have hurt her. But it is Veronica who forces her to be tough. Meg realizes the flaw in Veronica's plan... that being the tough outsider girl and wanting revenge isn't the way to survive in this world. In Meg we also see the person who doesn't listen to rumors... she chooses to believe in her instincts. Meg is the person that proves Veronica's 09er theories wrong.

In Alicia Fennel we see the person who judges people by the rumors she hears... at least when she doesn't know them. Like her son... Alicia follows her insticts and overcomes the rumors after seeing what people are like for herself. Additionally, Alica apologizes for judging Keith without getting to know him. Somewhat reminiscent of Wallace in the first episode... who chooses to hang out with the girl who cut him down instead of believing the rumors.

In Cole we see the jackass who believes the rumors he hears instead of trusting the person he knows. He only comes running back to Meg after he is told that the rumors aren't true. He is unable to accept what he should know and trust the person he is supposed to love.

Best Quotes:
    Cliff: You crazy kids! The stuff
    you're into. Hula hoops, cramming into phone booths, visiting death row
    inmates...what's it gonna be next month?
    Cliff: Dershowitz, Cochrane, and Shapiro were offering up their limbs, and he comes here for representation. I failed criminal law and I still know that can't be good.
    Veronica: Sometimes people find it very difficult to say "no" to me.
    Veronica: Twenty seconds, baby.
    Wallace: You're this excited about the super featherweight crown.
    Veronica: I know, I'm usually so passive. But our bond grows stronger every day, He Who Has Satellite Dish.
    Veronica: I never thought I'd say this, but I kinda can't wait for school tomorrow.
    Veronica: Meg, you're the last good person at this school. I'd believe cartoon birds braided your hair this morning.
    Veronica: Life is so not a cabaret.
    Keith: I didn't want to overstep.
    Veronica: Overstepping is your main form of transportation.
    Alicia: I don't know if you've heard some of the things they say about you....
    Keith: Oh, I know, trust me. I barely let me socialize with myself. I'm a bad influence.
    Veronica Voiceover: They say the truth will set you free, and I'm looking for the truth in a maximum-security prison. Don't worry; the irony isn't lost with me.
    Veronica: Funny no one's come running up to me.
    Meg: That's because people are afraid of you.
    Veronica: Then something's working.
    Meg: Getting tough.. yeah that was good advice... and I needed that. The getting even part... you might want to rethink that one. You do have friends Veronica.

Best Lyrics:
    "Mama... Thinks I'm living in a convent, A secluded little convent... In the southern part of France. Mama... Doesn't even have an inkling... That I'm working in a Nightclub... In a pair of Lacy pants. So please, sir. If you run into my Mama, Don't reveal my indiscretion, Give a working girl a chance." - Don't Tell Mama, Cabaret

That episode is so funny! Especially when Veronica flashes Wallace(it was in this episode.. right?)... and Mac rocked in it...
    THat is true about Alicia judging, but she did get better, but not with her lying.
    And in this episode you see that Veronica actually cares what people think and say.

Comment

I loved episode 8. It falls into my top 5 episodes from season 1. I love when she flashes Wallace and says, "Here you go, stud."

I also love the ending with Mac driving away in her new car. :-D

Comment

Veronica flashing Wallace and Mac outsmarting the 09ers to get her new car are definately highlights of the episode. I also adore Keith being crazy guy to get the creepy tennant out of the Fennel guest house. And I love the short but kinda cute interaction between Veronica & Duncan at the end. Also gotta love Veronica's slightly creepy method of revenge... taking photos and then showing them to Kimmy with all her witty purity test references.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎