Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lois vs. Chloe: Who is the better reporter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~
    Overall Chloe is the better reporter I'll say that but in Exposed Lois was the true reporter she did almost all the work the only thing missing was that she didn't get the byline.
    WHAT WORK DID LOIS DO?!

Seriously, what?

She followed Chloe around, doing what Chloe told her to do. She asked one good question. She danced on a poll (which, you know, didn't really help solve the case), then got herself kidnapped by the bad guy because she had no idead he was the bad guy.

So, again, what word did Lois do, exactly?

Also, to be a great newspaper reporter, you have to be a great writer. You have to be able to put what you've found out into words that can make people laugh, cry, furious, etc. You don't have to be a good speller, but you for darned sure have to know how to write.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyblue1
      We're talking about Future Lois, right? Because SV Lois doesn't come across as particularly reporter-like.

I really thought that, last night, we'd be getting our first real glimpses of reporter Lois. But I didn't see any. And the longer they go without showing Lois having that reporter's instinct, the harder it is for me to believe SV Lois could possibly become the dogged reporter we've seen in all other incarnations.
      Thank you Danny thats why I think they need to start guiding Lois to what she is suppose to be. The future Lois was already an established reporter before clark came to Metropolis. Chloe is one of my Fav character but its time for her to go. I know she is a fan fav but she not helping in the progress of the story that much. She is in the way of the progress of Lois, we can't have a blond and a brunette Lois lane. Maybe they should move her to tv journalism, that way they won't have to kill her.

I also think that the writer originally wanted Chloe to die at the end of season 3. But because of the millions of Chloe fans out their the writer had to change what they wanted. It seemed like they were planning on killing chloe and then Lois was gonna come in and take her place as the SV reporter. But because chloe is still alive its hard for the writers to give lois her own character since they gave her personnality to Chloe.

When are they gonna start to establish Clark as an ace reporter. When is he gonna develope an interest in Journalism. He worked in the torch but he really didn't do much reporting there, It was all Chloe. the two future ACE reporters for the Daily Planet and they have no interest in journalism.
      Last edited by son2380; 11-05-2005, 11:08 AM.

Comment

simple answer

chloe

Comment

Yeah Chloe doesn't have the street smarts and the mad dog factor. What would Chloe have done with the cop if Lois hadn't been there?
          The same exact thing. Why would it have stopped Chloe and Lois from continuing their journalistic investigating, just because the detective didn't want to look into it?

Lois got the detective to think that maybe something was 'wrong'. Sawyer was still going to blow it off, but Chloe sold her.

Regardless, all that did was push the police in to doing some digging, and didn't really effect the investigation of Chloe or Lois, they would have been independent of each other.

Comment

Overall Chloe is the better reporter I'll say that but in Exposed Lois was the true reporter she did almost all the work the only thing missing was that she didn't get the byline.

One point though Chloe didn't get the DP job because of her investigative skills, she got it for her writing skills
            Umm.. what?

Being a true reporter means you have the drive to find out the truth and report it. That's what Chloe wanted to do when she took the call. She made Lois come along with her and she invented the story of Lois being a stripper. Wow, Lois danced. And that helped how? Oh, wait, she did get kidnapped. She wouldn't have been at that place unless she was mooching around with Chloe because she has nothing else to do. Chloe wanted to be a reporter forever. She spent her life at the Torch and did whatever she could to work at the Daily Planet. And suddenly in one episode where Lois takes off her clothes and gets tasered, she's a true reporter?

And in "Thirst," the story fell on her lap and she pounced before anyone eles did. What's the problem with that? If she had written it sloppily then she wouldn't have gotten the job. You need to be a good writer to be a reporter. But she did investigate in "Exposed." Or was that all Lois too?

Comment

Why?

Originally posted by FlashFan
              Wow. I didn't watch the same episode apparently, because I didn't see *any* advancement for Lois as reporter in this episode.
              I give her the standing up to Sawyer, but the expensive shoe revelation was earth-shattering.
              She didn't discover who the baddie was, he took her. He pointed her to the closet. She didn't snoop, the shoebox was right there, in the open. The only thing not in the scene was a big neon sign that said "Look in the shoebox!"

What did Chloe do? Got the name of the victim, figured out where she worked, got them in the club, got the license plate, talked to the girls, got the baddie's address, helped Clark to find the passport, located the helipad and finally, after Clark, lois and Sawyer are resigned to the fact the baddie gets away scot free, she tips Interpol off and finally gets the bad guy.

Chloe is the better reporter, hands down.

It would have been nice for the writers to try to advance Lois in the jouranlism direction, but again, they chose not too. No offense to Durnace, but for now, imo, ED being Lois on the show is strictly for giving nods to Superman mythos and T & A.
              Lois & Clark Fan.........why would you just ignore all the things that Chloe did in the episode? FlashFan makes very solid points.

Chloe fan or not.....it should be obvious who the better reporter is at this point in time. Some others have also said that Chloe's not as hard nosed as Lois. That's true, and I kind of like that difference in the cousins, but that doesn't mean Chloe's character is any less determined. She knows that sometimes you have to work to get to the truth (as noted in the episode "Truth" ). And just because Chloe is more soft spoken doesn't mean she won't stand up for herself. She's stood up to Lionel and Lex on many occasions. And despite the Editor of the Daily Planet mocking her and her dream......She stood up to her!......and she's still basically a kid!

The problem with Chloe's character in my opinion, is that her Reporter/Detective skills have been brought to the small screen with such flair and fun that it surpasses the skills of all the incarnations of Lois Lane that have ever been. So in order for Lois to one day believeably be the Daily Planet's #1 reporter....I just gotta believe that either Chloe has to dissappear or just be killed ( heaven forbid!) outright. I mean she was what? 14 or 15 and she was writting in the Daily Planet? And yeah, I know Lionel was the reason she was there, but her editor even said that she was really on to something with her Sommerholt articles (as seen in "Delete") that she submitted under the alias of her Cousin Lois.

But then again, all things being equal, my order for Daily Planet top reporter status (providing Chloe was still around which I honestly don't expect) would be Clark #1, Chloe #2, and Lois #3. Because let's face it....if Clark wasn't so busy with the Superman stuff......ohhhh the stories he could pick up with his Super hearing alone.

On a fun note, being almost caught going through the Club's files reminded me of what Chloe said to Clark in "Magnetic" ......."A good reporter always thinks on her feet".

One point though Chloe didn't get the DP job because of her investigative skills, she got it for her writing skills
              As ludicrous as the vampire story was, she had all the back up.....CDC reports, eye witness accounts....everything. And I think it was the back up that finally sealed it. If she didn't have either the writting talent or the investigative talent to get the back up information.....then I don't think she should have realistically gotten the job. But it's obvious that her character has both. Which again leaves me wondering as to why you would ignore facts such as the investigative documentation which she presented?

He gave her no reason to suspect that he was different while they were living together Chloe's known him most of her life and never figured it out too, Lana hasn't figured it out either, so that really doesn't mean much to me.
              A good example of why the characters have to be unaware of things is in the commentary of "Spell". It's the scene in which the cousins burst in on Lana/Isobel while she's potion making. Allison Mack & Erica Durrance make references to it with respect to their Chloe and Lois characters. But even with things like that, Chloe admited to Clark that she always had her suspicions...."The miraculous recoveries....the lame excuses". But I think Alicia said it best......"Why are you ignoring what's right in front of your own face Chloe?"....pretty sure that's how the quote went. To me Alicia's comment was very telling of Chloe's relationship with Clark. And I really don't think that their being unaware has any bearing on how good at reporting the cousins are. So I agree with you that it really doesn't mean all that much.
              Last edited by CK&CK; 11-06-2005, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Chloe's known him most of her life and never figured it out too, Lana hasn't figured it out either, so that really doesn't mean much to me.
                Chloe has known Clark since 8th grade, so that isn't most of her life, just 5 years.

But I think Alicia said it best......"Why are you ignoring what's right in front of your own face Chloe?"....pretty sure that's how the quote went. To me Alicia's comment was very telling of Chloe's relationship with Clark.
                I agree. Clark fools everyone. Even Lois Lane in the comics couldn't figure out CK was Superman. People believe what they want to believe. Chloe, with all her suspicions, wants to believe Clark is normal, so she does.

But Lois, who was just along for the ride, was aware enough to notice $500 shoes
                Who to say that she was the first to notice those shoes? Let's look at the timeline of events.
                Chloe receives a call around 1am to check out a story. Notice the DP is empty.
                Then girl gets runover what around 2am?
                Then by the time they are being questioned by the police, it must be daylight by now, because the DP is super busy and the outside shot of the DP is in broad daylight.
                I find it hard to believe that Lois and Chloe wouldn't have talked about the accident and anything that they noticed.
                Futhermore, because of this possiblity, Chloe could have been the one to notice the shoes, since she is into fashion.
                So it can't be discounted that Chloe didn't realize this point.

Then the cop is putting them in their place and Chloe is helpless.
                I also don't agree that this shows Chloe as helpless.
                It has already been established that Lois and Chloe have a sisterly relationship. Since Lois is older than Chloe, in way that makes her the alpha sister.
                Chloe has a tendency, when Lois is around to sit back and let her 'older sister' take charge.
                Plus, who's to say, she wasn't just sitting back and observing the police reaction to the events and thinking of ways to seek out the truth and justice of the girls death.

Chloe doesn't have the street smarts and the mad dog factor.
                I disagree on this. I think maybe her street smarts have softened a little while living in Smallville, but the girl did come from Metropolis, so she knows a thing or two.
                Plus, if you have seen the Chloe Chronicles I and/or II or any of her scenes with the Luthors it is obvious that Chloe has the mad dog factor. It might be more subtle than Lois', but it is still there.

Just because Chloe's investivgating style is more subtle and observant than Lois' doesn't mean that it makes her lesser of a reporter. Both styles can lead being the best reporters. For instance just like in acting, not all great actors act the same way. Or not all writers write the same way.

And as far as who is the better reporter right now in the Smallville universe?

Hands down Chloe. She's got the experience and the writing down pat.
                Lois still hasn't shown much in the writing department. Finding the story is one thing, but writing it in a objective yet captivating manner is another.

Comment

WHAT WORK DID LOIS DO?!

Seriously, what?

She followed Chloe around, doing what Chloe told her to do. She asked one good question.
                  She stands up to the the cop, while her cousin stands in the background like a little girl, after Sawyer simply dismissed it Melissa's death as "it's no mystery what happened down there".

She danced on a poll (which, you know, didn't really help solve the case),
                  Except that if it wasn't for Lois' agreeing to strip dance, both of them would have been killed right there and then for snooping around.

then got herself kidnapped by the bad guy because she had no idead he was the bad guy.
                  So Chloe knew who's the bad guy?

Also, to be a great newspaper reporter, you have to be a great writer. You have to be able to put what you've found out into words that can make people laugh, cry, furious, etc. You don't have to be a good speller, but you for darned sure have to know how to write.
                  Lois first article at the Torch garnered fan mails and "new celeb" status.

Comment

Re: Lois is better

"I think this is code for filethis under the rug"

Right there!
                    She didn't ask a real question. She challenged the cop. That lead to further involvement from the cop. In this episode she really just runs on brass and bra alone. I'll admit shes missing a certain amount of "technique" ..if you will.

But its the no hold barred, getter done attitude that will make her into the reporter she is destined to be.

Even when Chloe is being a "no nonsense" reporter she has a meekish almost apologetic look on her face. Lois - shes a killer when shes being nice!

As the man says - "your a bulldog Lois"

Kinda like.. "Perry "BullDog" White...?

Comment

Lois

Comment

Chloe would have been a wonderful reporter...but her friendship with Clark was a distraction. So, she was off doing his homework a lot.
                        Lois on the other hand focuses on her work. She does have a social life, but her job is more important to her right now...

Comment

Without a doubt, Lois. Reporters are great when they have passion and a desire for the truth. That is what Lois has and not Chloe. Spell check requirement aside. lol

I see Chloe more as novelist of science fiction novels, or some kind of analyst or scientist. She does love research../

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎